User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite "Types" of goals

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High defensive lines should be made mandatory.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've seen anyone other than Shearer score those indirect free-kicks. It's like he was the only person in the universe to master getting the keeper to handle a back-pass.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Maybe the best headed goal ever. Given the situation, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Ooh, this gives me a chance to coo over my favourite type of goal, which is the predator's precision finish. This type of goal is going out of the game, Jeff, due to the advent of the defensive centre forward 'basketball backboard' and worse still, the 'false nine'.

Nevertheless, greats of my youth were wonderful advocates of this very particular type of goal, which is hard to describe and by no means includes all poacher's finishes. This type of goal must involve as few physical attributes as possible, and power is especially unwelcome. Using the toe or the outside of the boot or occasionally the instep, I want my goalscorer to caress the ball into a tiny available area of goal, often just inside the far post, and to do so from no more than twelve to eighteen yards out (depending on context). Ideally the forward has to be clean through with only the keeper to beat (there's often a failed offside trap involved), and then he has to fill a pleasing part of the net, like he's filling a ball-shaped hole in your soul.

Always extra bonus points if the ball just barely trickles over the line (but you lose points if the keeper touches it on the way in).

There are hundreds more out there and you still do see them today occasionally, but the era of high lines and precision poacher centre forwards is largely gone.
    That's really nice. I hadn't thought to class them as their own set of goals, but they 100% count.

Players beating the offside trap is always a joy.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Origi's is my new favorite. As far as I can tell there's one goal in the category.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mané scored a fairly weird/fortunate last minute winner against Everton a few seasons ago - rebound off the post or something? Similar vein, albeit less batshit.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Origi's is my new favorite. As far as I can tell there's one goal in the category.
    It's unique in the exact way it happened, but there's a few of these "goalkeeper just something a little mental, drops the ball, someone happens to be around" goals mind you.

The classic scenario is them dropping the ball to the ground to to a kick into the pitch and not noticing a lingering striker behind them who just snatches the ball and scores.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Is it not broadly the same as the one Pepe Reina helped Andy Johnson to score?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Is it not broadly the same as the one Pepe Reina helped Andy Johnson to score?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCNkUtSETqM

1:35 in.

Pepe’s only saviour is they were long out of that game. Pretty lol tho