User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 91 of 260 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,550 of 12977

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All sides are taking this very well

"We respect the democratic process so much we're going to parachute in a bloke who's literally never won an election. It's the only way to restore faith in democracy!

Meanwhile, Boris is showing his Churchillian leadership style by... hiding in his flat?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davis resigning just seals this as an uber-shambles.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boris has emerged from his flat to tell everyone that he too is fleeing the sinking ship. Such bravery from the big man.

Every sitting member of government should be put in a cannon and fired into the sun.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re going to end up with another election.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    We’re going to end up with another election.
    They want the World Cup win to have as successful a legacy on the country as the Olympics did clearly.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're both twats. Remain is now back on the cards.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Labour were brought in to be briefed on the Brexit White Paper and they can't get the projector working.

The word Omnishambles is almost too kind to this government.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now we're talking. Gove must be livid that he was the first one over the top.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    If I have it right, the British Cabinet have agreed between themselves what their negotiating position should be. At this stage.
    Oh, wait. They haven't even done that. This is the kind of thing that should have been worked out before the fucking vote, never mind the negotiations.

May's proposals, if they survive - will undoubtedly be softened even further once the EU start picking them apart. We'll end up with the UK outside of the decision-making but following all of the rules.

Corbyn PM by Christmas.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thinking all along was that between the European Union refusing to concede anything (that is not a criticism in itself - they will obviously put the 'project' over sensible trading arrangements, hence leaving), and the magical ability of the British government (whoever is in charge) to fuck literally everything up, we would end up with NO DEAL overall but with some reciprocal shit guaranteeing each others foreigners' rights and whatever keeps the planes in the air. That being the actual ideal status aside, where I appear to have gone wrong is in not contemplating this level of cowardice and inactivity, and not realising that Theresa May is Gordon Brown without the intelligence.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or the looks.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you collectively sign off on something (no matter how stupid) and then resign a few days later? Don't you just resign when the thing you don't like is being presented?

In the event of a leadership challenge does May remain, ahem, as the continuity remain candidate, or do they put another one up, Spreadsheet Phil perhaps? Maybe Chukka should run for leadership of the conservative party.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She has to get voted out first, Maggie-style. If that happens then I imagine Sajid Javid will go up against some throbbing isolationist idiot.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fucking knew Brexit could happen (the vote), but it wouldn't actually happen (the reality).

I've missed my chance to be a rich man here gents, fucking twice over.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    She has to get voted out first, Maggie-style. If that happens then I imagine Sajid Javid will go up against some throbbing isolationist idiot.
    How did it work with Major and Redwood?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major resigned as leader (but carried on as PM) to trigger the leadership election, then stood again and won.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The infamous 'Tory Right' are usually correct about everything (Europe especially), and I feel as though my cushy civil service position insulates me from the country falling to pieces, so the inevitable shithouse stitch-up 'deal' that the government and Labour cook up will be worth it if the Conservative Party can flush all of its tossers out whilst Jezza gets to work trashing the gaff.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boris's resignation letter is a thing of beauty. Elegant, true and utterly delusional.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The infamous 'Tory Right' are usually correct about everything (Europe especially), and I feel as though my cushy civil service position insulates me from the country falling to pieces, so the inevitable shithouse stitch-up 'deal' that the government and Labour cook up will be worth it if the Conservative Party can flush all of its tossers out whilst Jezza gets to work trashing the gaff.
    You do realise we're not leaving if they go full 90s on this?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe not now, but these twats are playing with fire if they think they can just sludge us back into everything.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeremy Hunt to Foreign Secretary was just the punchline today needed.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really know much about it all but lol.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump strayed from the subject of politics to ruminate about the use of the word "England."

"You don't hear the word 'England' as much as you should. I miss the name England," he said.

"I think England is a beautiful name. And you don't hear it very much anymore. But (the football team at the World Cup is) playing as 'England.' That's very interesting. That's good," Trump said
    What a fucking moron.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are people acting surprised that Tronald is just as much of an idiot in Berkshire as he is in Brooklyn?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they? Also he'd never be in Brooklyn, too many black people. He's Queens.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I needed an American location beginning with B. Nearly selected Boise.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a protest here in Hitchin today by about 15 women.

I drove past it at one stage and one of the women held a sign trying to get people to honk their horns. She was really miming the fuck out of it to try and get me to do it but no dice.

I agree with them (and others) but a car horn isn't exactly going to do much love.

Edit:
    Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 13-07-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are people protesting exactly?

Lol at people in any other country giving a shit about Trump.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They think we shouldn't let him in the country because he is bad - or rather, famous and bad, as I didn't see them protesting Xi Jinping, Jacob Zuma et al.

We are OBSESSED with America in this country, I think because it's the only nation with a clearly greater cultural reach than us.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think 'we' generally are. The politics nerds are for various reasons (pro/anti, thinking having seen The West Wing makes you clever, etc.), but I think most people take it as they find it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    What are people protesting exactly?

Lol at people in any other country giving a shit about Trump.
    They had interviews with some of the protesters on NPR and the one Brit said he was protesting because "He backed out of the climate deal, he backed out of the Iran deal, and he's just making the world a much more dangerous place"

Personally would've lead with "He's shaking the foundations of NATO by insinuating the United States would be better off to go it alone, taking over planned summits by world leaders and forcing the conversation to revolve around explaining to him why NATO is good for all of it's allies instead of tabling more important, already previously planned discussions among its allies."

But ya know "tHe ClImAte DeAl!" is probably a lot easier to deal with if someone asks a follow up question.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's right in what he says about NATO, and it needs America more than America needs it, so the European leaders giving it the big'un and/or rolling their eyes at him need to get with the program[me]. Even if he is gone in a few years, chances are the mooching days are over.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is he even in the ‘Top 10 Political Cunts to visit the UK’ list?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    He's right in what he says about NATO, and it needs America more than America needs it, so the European leaders giving it the big'un and/or rolling their eyes at him need to get with the program[me]. Even if he is gone in a few years, chances are the mooching days are over.
    If I'm honest I am totally behind the entire "everyone should pay their fair share" bit that he's running :shrugs:

At any rate, the same radio program told me that while several world leaders had apparently previously agreed to up their payment to NATO none of them actually had done so as of yet. I'm really interested to see how it all plays out. If it means less tax-dollars being spent in favor of other countries upping their portion certainly that would be a big win for us/him I'd imagine.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruhnaldo View Post
    If I'm honest I am totally behind the entire "everyone should pay their fair share" bit that he's running :shrugs:

At any rate, the same radio program told me that while several world leaders had apparently previously agreed to up their payment to NATO none of them actually had done so as of yet. I'm really interested to see how it all plays out. If it means less tax-dollars being spent in favor of other countries upping their portion certainly that would be a big win for us/him I'd imagine.

except you won't cut your defense budget ever and actually increased it this time around.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to break it to you, but NATO countries pulling their weight isn't going to mean the US spends less on defence. Didn't they just raise the budget by $60bn for lols? That's probably more than most countries spend entirely.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since you are all in agreement with Trump .... IÂ’ll do my bit and accept 4% of your annual salaries on behalf of the US. That is the mechanism he is proposing (at least to the domestic audience). Which heÂ’s packaged along with us needing to up our military spending by 18% because we donÂ’t take care of our military.

Which essentially is the problem with Trump. Everyone tries to ignore the 90% of pure gibberish to focus on the 10% they align with. You do it long enough and you are forced to start defending having 4 year olds pleading their case for asylum because they are legally competent. It is never worth it in the end.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean for example, I paid $10/mo for Apple Music before I realized I was eligible for a student discount. Now I pay $5. I still spend that other $5 each month, but I spend it on something else because it's money I now have to spend on something else.

Do I really notice the fact I have that extra $5? Not really. But it's a positive to my own personal budget. If I had to start paying $10 again I would view that as a negative, though in the grand scheme it probably doesn't really matter.

That's why I don't really see how getting other people to pay their fair share into NATO can be construed as a negative or "not a win" as presented in this context.

Sure, we'll blow the money on other shit, but it's all politics anyways. A "win" is still a win with the voter base.

At any rate, if it means we have to throw less money into the NATO pot and more money into our own interests, that's fine in and of itself.... Reckless spending otherwise is an entirely separate argument in my estimation.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you start talking about 'political wins' there is no salvation.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    I’ll do my bit and accept 4% of your annual salaries on behalf of the US.
    I didn't realize he was proposing everyone adopt a "NATO tax"? I don't see a NATO tax on my paycheck currently but we're apparently still paying the "4% of GDP" or whatever the fuck that he's asking everyone else to pay.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Once you start talking about 'political wins' there is no salvation.
    I'm talking for the sense of him. It's a win for him to be able to come to America and tell everyone how great he is because he got NATO to pay up their (apparently already) agreed share (that they hadn't started paying yet).

So sure, we increase defense spending by x%, but that % "comes from money we saved!" whether that's true or not.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is NATO even really relevant any more?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if you're looking for some wins.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Is NATO even really relevant any more?
    Are you a Russian bot?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do love the whole 'Do we really need the things we created to stop us going to war with each other every 20 years' conversations. We live in the most peaceful time in the entirety of human history but is a few million quid to things we don't like really worth that?

The other problem being that we'd pretty much eradicate all our political issues if we just killed off 1/3rd of the population every few decades like we used to.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I do love the whole 'Do we really need the things we created to stop us going to war with each other every 20 years' conversations. We live in the most peaceful time in the entirety of human history but is a few million quid to things we don't like really worth that?

The other problem being that we'd pretty much eradicate all our political issues if we just killed off 1/3rd of the population every few decades like we used to.
    NATO wasn't created to stop us going to war with each other. It was created to stop the spread of communism.

The EU is much more worthwhile than NATO.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Are you a Russian bot?
    нет

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NATO is an anachronism, and we should have threatened to leave it to spook the European Union.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lib Dems (4 seats) not turning up to defeat a Brexiteer amendment won by 4 votes sums them up. Absolutely useless set of human beings.