User Tag List

Thread: What shall your weekend bring?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    London is a bit of a farce these days; the infrastructure, good as it is, can't really cope with the sheer numbers of people. Ten years ago it was much nicer.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    London is a bit of a farce these days; the infrastructure, good as it is, can't really cope with the sheer numbers of people. Ten years ago it was much nicer.
    Don't know about the 10 year stuff but I agree. It's been great the past week with the bank holiday/summer holiday combination as the sheer volume of people around has reduced.

I've been in Highbury/Angel since I've moved here and it is great though - loads of restaurants, bars, pubs, parks etc. I can imagine if you were in Soho, Camden, Oxford Street, Brixton, it can be overwhelming. But most areas aren't there.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Don't know about the 10 year stuff but I agree. It's been great the past week with the bank holiday/summer holiday combination as the sheer volume of people around has reduced.

I've been in Highbury/Angel since I've moved here and it is great though - loads of restaurants, bars, pubs, parks etc. I can imagine if you were in Soho, Camden, Oxford Street, Brixton, it can be overwhelming. But most areas aren't there.
    Ten years ago it was more or less the same, but with maybe 10% fewer people (most of them non-resident) around, or at least it feels that way.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Bingo.

Traffic lights every ten yards, half of which serve no purpose whatsoever but to slow everyone down. Nobody can drive in a single lane (perhaps because they've learnt that one of them will soon be blocked by road works, a taxi or maybe just a load of pedestrians deathwishing into the road). I don't know if this is normal but we were plagued by Prius drivers who seem to have started driving that very day and presumably had to consult a manual on how to pull away each and every time. We got to the venue only to be told completely unironically that the car park was closed 'because there's an event on'. Barriers had been erected around the entrance to Stratford station meaning everyone walking past it had to go in one door and out of another one literally right next to it whether they wanted to go into the station or not (there was no discernable purpose to this particular piece of insanity). There was also a West Ham match kicking out and the 40000 or so fans were being directed by people with megaphones giving out useful information such as 'For Westfield shopping centre go that way'.

Just the last place you would want to go unless you absolutely had to.