Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roast Me

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I actually know two coeliacs very well so I do understand the issue.

But that's besides the point. If you can't explain what your website/app/platform is meant to do, how are you going to tell anyone what to build for it?
    Sorry that was an incorrect assumption.

Does the landing page not explain?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone doubts people would submit feedback, we just doubt restaurants are going to have any interest in trying to cater for severe peanut allergy and severe seafood allergy and severe dairy allergy and coeliac and autism and and and and and.

Making one set of changes to cater for one relatively large group (people who want gluten free); absolutely that might be cost effective and worth going after.

Making a thousand sets of changes to cater for a thousand individuals with various issues; never going to be cost-effective in a million years.

To look at one of the examples on your site, nobody is going to want to say they can definitely cater for the peanut anaphylaxis kid. It's *so* easy for something to get contaminated and suddenly you're the restaurant who promised they were safe for peanut allergies and then killed someone.

Then you say that's not what you're trying to do and I don't understand any more.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Sorry that was an incorrect assumption.

Does the landing page not explain?
    From what you've said in here it seems like people can send a message to a restaurant anonymously and privately so the restaurant sees it (and nobody else) and then the restaurant can respond to that person?

What difference is there between that and emailing the restaurant? What draws in users if they can't see other people's feedback for restaurants?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point it sounds like he's describing Resolver.co.uk.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    I don't think anyone doubts people would submit feedback, we just doubt restaurants are going to have any interest in trying to cater for severe peanut allergy and severe seafood allergy and severe dairy allergy and coeliac and autism and and and and and.

Making one set of changes to cater for one relatively large group (people who want gluten free); absolutely that might be cost effective and worth going after.

Making a thousand sets of changes to cater for a thousand individuals with various issues; never going to be cost-effective in a million years.

To look at one of the examples on your site, nobody is going to want to say they can definitely cater for the peanut anaphylaxis kid. It's *so* easy for something to get contaminated and suddenly you're the restaurant who promised they were safe for peanut allergies and then killed someone.

Then you say that's not what you're trying to do and I don't understand any more.
    The no. of feedbacks dictates whether it's worth investment or not. The app captures when, how many covers, and why. It then pulls in to a report dashboard to visually display how much money the restaurant has lost because they didn't cater for XYZ. It's up to them to decide whether it's worth an investment or not. If they do make a change, they notify all app users with the relevant keywords tagged (a pre-requisite for signing up) within 50 miles, and those who have left feedback.

If all it took was moving your cakes to a different shelf to prevent cross-contamination, meant that you'd get £500 worth of extra business each month, you'd surely make the change?

However at the moment it's all conjecture. I believe strongly, hence why I'm building this, that there's a huge incentive for both excluded diners and hospitality to link up and help each other. And I bet the reasons people won't eat somewhere will be wild.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what you've said in here it seems like people can send a message to a restaurant anonymously and privately so the restaurant sees it (and nobody else) and then the restaurant can respond to that person?

What difference is there between that and emailing the restaurant? What draws in users if they can't see other people's feedback for restaurants?
    No, they can't respond directly. They can only 'announce' changes they've made and they have no idea who that will be going to, only the number of users it will reach.

What draws them in is the more they leave feedback the more likely positive change will be made. For example, I'd tell my local kebab shop at least twice a month that I wanted to eat there but didn't because they don't do GF. That's £60 they lose every month.

You can tell the same place multiple times why you didn't go, like if your fav restaurant is no longer accessible because of a recent Coeliac diagnoses and you still wanted to go every Friday but couldn't. Tell them. Each time.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    At this point it sounds like he's describing Resolver.co.uk.
    LOL nothing like that.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually know two coeliacs very well so I do understand the issue.

But that's besides the point. If you can't explain what your website/app/platform is meant to do, how are you going to tell anyone what to build for it?
    It would be good to get their feedback BTW.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gluten/lactose/peanut intolerance crew already tend to do the legwork without a site. Usually by ringing the place up in advance.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    The gluten/lactose/peanut intolerance crew already tend to do the legwork without a site. Usually by ringing the place up in advance.
    Yes and that's still the best course of action. However this site is to let venues know they missed the mark and lost revenue and if they want it back they need to change.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely they know they're losing revenue already by not catering for X?

They just don't care because they don't think the margins are there for them to cater for said group.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Surely they know they're losing revenue already by not catering for X?

They just don't care because they don't think the margins are there for them to cater for said group.
    Exactly on both counts.

I believe otherwise and it's the platforms (and us weirdos) job to prove otherwise.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this essentially 'use the survey code on your receipt for a free big mac' with extra steps and no big mac?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Is this essentially 'use the survey code on your receipt for a free big mac' with extra steps and no big mac?
    There will be vouchers for top contributors.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cousin self-diagnosed herself as coeliac, and then un-diagnosed herself when my mother started calling her 'Gluten Glynis'. More of that society.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magic, if you can spare the time and the cash requirements are low then you've probably little to lose by going for it. That said, I don't really understand what it is, so...

What does/will your website do?
    Why would I use it as an individual?
    Why would I use it as a business?
    How do you make money from it?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Magic, if you can spare the time and the cash requirements are low then you've probably little to lose by going for it. That said, I don't really understand what it is, so...

What does/will your website do?
    Why would I use it as an individual?
    Why would I use it as a business?
    How do you make money from it?
    The landing page should cover at the very least 1 & 2. If you've read the landing page already please let me know.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the landing page (people won't though, so I wouldn't be relying on that to promote it). I think you have the germ of an interesting idea (very well timed given the neuroses we're voluntary swimming in as a society these days), I just can't tell from that how it actually works, specifically speaking and therefore whether I think it'll work or not, for what that's worth.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the landing page (people won't though, so I wouldn't be relying on that to promote it). I think you have the germ of an interesting idea (very well timed given the neuroses we're voluntary swimming in as a society these days), I just can't tell from that how it actually works, specifically speaking and therefore whether I think it'll work or not, for what that's worth.
    I'm keeping the detail close to my chest to prevent stealage as I'm aware there's people out there who could do this badly and that would still be more than I can do at present.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm keeping the detail close to my chest to prevent stealage as I'm aware there's people out there who could do this badly and that would still be more than I can do at present.
    There are people out there who could do it very well as well. Get rid of the website until you're ready and I would say delete this thread too, but as the least read part of the internet you'll probably be alright with that.

If I've understood what you're doing with it, or what I'd do with the base idea then I think you could have something, if something like this doesn't already exist.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are people out there who could do it very well as well. Get rid of the website until you're ready and I would say delete this thread too, but as the least read part of the internet you'll probably be alright with that.

If I've understood what you're doing with it, or what I'd do with the base idea then I think you could have something, if something like this doesn't already exist.
    I've been told by two prominent founders to spread the word and get sign ups for my landing page. That will really help me get investment, according to them.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not follow any advice from Yev.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TTH Dragons Den would work. SvN as the grumbly fuck, Yev as literally Peter Jones, and we'll have to find a role for Taz I suppose.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm out.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    It's sweet that despite not liking me, I'm somehow always in your thoughts.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    My cousin self-diagnosed herself as coeliac, and then un-diagnosed herself when my mother started calling her 'Gluten Glynis'. More of that society.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sweet that despite not liking me, I'm somehow always in your thoughts.
    I don't really know what this means. But you've offered some terrible advice in this thread, basically telling him to "hide" his idea until it's ready to launch because someone might steal it. Given the investment Magic will need to make this anywhere near a reality, it's probably the worst thing he could do.

Magic - my advice is if you want this to be taken seriously, invest a small amount in proper branding and design. You can use something like Squarespace to knock together a reasonable looking page without any technical skills, so you don't need to be spending thousands with a designer.

You also need to work on your value proposition and make it so clear that people will understand what you're trying to achieve by scanning your home page for 10 seconds.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realised that couldn't be done as it's not 'online movies' or 'pizza delivery' so I went with the mission strapline instead, followed by the story.

Did you have a quick scan?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really know what this means. But you've offered some terrible advice in this thread, basically telling him to "hide" his idea until it's ready to launch because someone might steal it. Given the investment Magic will need to make this anywhere near a reality, it's probably the worst thing he could do.
    My comment was in direct response to Magic saying he was worried people would steal the idea, if you're worried don't give them the information in the first place. Except he hasn't really done that anyway as it's hard to tell from the landing page exactly what the idea is, which won't generate the interest and sign ups to prove the concept and get investment, but there is enough there for someone to take the germ of the idea and come up with their own way to do it. Basically the worst of both Worlds.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is academic anyway, as you need to stop now Magic.

Magic, if you can spare the time and the cash requirements are low then you've probably little to lose by going for it.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks for the roasting. Any pointers now would be really appreciated, but like specific ones not generic 'shit' ones.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks for the roasting. Any pointers now would be really appreciated, but like specific ones not generic 'shit' ones.
    I think you'll struggle to get anything more than generic pointer without going into more detail. If you can answer those four questions I put upthread, in detail, then I'll be able to offer more but as it is, all we've got is landing page which isn't snappy enough to grab people's attention (and it's a webpage - are people even using those anymore? I do, but I'm old and not remotely in the target market).

Or to put it another way, what areas do you want specific pointers on?
    Last edited by Yevrah; 24-10-2023 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Niche it down. The biggest thing I have found since starting a business is to niche initially. Once you are doing well you can branch out starting with say celiac’s and if it works branch out. That way you can concentrate on one thing initially as then you can focus the spending you have.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll struggle to get anything more than generic pointer without going into more detail. If you can answer those four questions I put upthread, in detail, then I'll be able to offer more but as it is, all we've got is landing page which isn't snappy enough to grab people's attention (and it's a webpage - are people even using those anymore? I do, but I'm old and not remotely in the target market).

Or to put it another way, what areas do you want specific pointers on?
    I'm struggling here because there are two elements; the user part and the B2B part. Maybe I need to focus this down to the user part to get the data in there in the first place.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There, I've totally changed it to suit the consumer. Maybe it'll make more sense now.

I think the B2B side will be completely different.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    Niche it down. The biggest thing I have found since starting a business is to niche initially. Once you are doing well you can branch out starting with say celiac’s and if it works branch out. That way you can concentrate on one thing initially as then you can focus the spending you have.
    Yep. Start small and prove the concept, show that the demand exists. Then rinse and repeat and expand to other areas.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realised that couldn't be done as it's not 'online movies' or 'pizza delivery' so I went with the mission strapline instead, followed by the story.

Did you have a quick scan?
    Of course it can be done. There are businesses out there much more complex than this that manage it. You just need to formulate the benefit to users in a very simple way. But you're not a copywriter, so you'll probably struggle.

I did have a quick scan, and without this thread for context, I would've struggled to understand what you're trying to achieve.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it can be done. There are businesses out there much more complex than this that manage it. You just need to formulate the benefit to users in a very simple way. But you're not a copywriter, so you'll probably struggle.

I did have a quick scan, and without this thread for context, I would've struggled to understand what you're trying to achieve.
    After the changes I've just made?

The founder I spoke to yesterday said it's an extremely unusual way of doing things i.e having to market to consumers first, getting them to use it and only then having something to sell.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Start small and prove the concept, show that the demand exists. Then rinse and repeat and expand to other areas.
    I've ruminated over this too, however the more information I get in to it the more valuable it becomes so I needed it to be expansive. It's still generally niche.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the changes I've just made?

The founder I spoke to yesterday said it's an extremely unusual way of doing things i.e having to market to consumers first, getting them to use it and only then having something to sell.
    You don't have to neglect the B2B side of things - they go hand in hand. Look at Trustpilot as an example:

It's a 9 words and a call to action that summarises what they do. Their messaging is entirely focused towards the end user - how they can find trustworthy businesses, how they can share their own experiences. But their entire business model is getting businesses to pay to use the platform.

Your VP is obviously more complicated than that. But at the moment you've got 30 words and it tells me what I can do (submit anonymous feedback), but not why, other than promising a vague concept of a "tastier future". You need to drill down to the core of why I should care as a user.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Narrowing the niche will also significantly help you in framing it, as you'll be able to appeal directly to a specific base who will be much more likely know what you're talking about.

'Our simple app helps coeliacs find restaurants you can trust'. Far less easy to do if there are 500 variations on coeliacs.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 24-10-2023 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are all restaurants going to be on there or just ones that sign up?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are all restaurants going to be on there or just ones that sign up?
    All of them, with their unique Google ID. It'll show you whether they've signed up or not, but that doesn't stop you leaving feedback.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also think about targeting which businesses you are after, because Raj's Delights curry house isn't going to give a shit (at least not until you are flying and everyone does it), whereas hipster places in city centres will be much more likely to build you a starting base.

EDIT: fair enough, I'm not across google ID.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ruminated over this too, however the more information I get in to it the more valuable it becomes so I needed it to be expansive. It's still generally niche.
    But you run the risk of overdoing it by trying to do too many things at once. When I started doing investments and pensions I didn’t care who I got through the door but then I realised if I niche it down I can get more business initially as my ad spend etcetera goes much further. So you niche it down to pensions for dentists, solicitors and vets. The big boys don’t go after them they spend their ad money on the main searches so it gives you more opportunities in the short term. Then once it’s worked in one area and you have word of mouth within that industry/sector you move onto the next layer and build from there.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Narrowing the niche will also significantly help you in framing it, as you'll be able to appeal directly to a specific base who will be much more likely know what you're talking about.

'Our simple app helps coeliacs find restaurants you can trust'. Far less easy to do if there are 500 variations on coeliacs.
    That's not what my platform does though.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to neglect the B2B side of things - they go hand in hand. Look at Trustpilot as an example:

It's a 9 words and a call to action that summarises what they do. Their messaging is entirely focused towards the end user - how they can find trustworthy businesses, how they can share their own experiences. But their entire business model is getting businesses to pay to use the platform.

Your VP is obviously more complicated than that. But at the moment you've got 30 words and it tells me what I can do (submit anonymous feedback), but not why, other than promising a vague concept of a "tastier future". You need to drill down to the core of why I should care as a user.
    Yeah I understand. It's a toughie but I gave it another bash:

Leave feedback. Get change.

Our app links those with special requirements and hospitality venues together. United voices for a safer, more enjoyable experience.

Think that's me done for now as my head has turned to mince, but I do get your point.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    But you run the risk of overdoing it by trying to do too many things at once. When I started doing investments and pensions I didn’t care who I got through the door but then I realised if I niche it down I can get more business initially as my ad spend etcetera goes much further. So you niche it down to pensions for dentists, solicitors and vets. The big boys don’t go after them they spend their ad money on the main searches so it gives you more opportunities in the short term. Then once it’s worked in one area and you have word of mouth within that industry/sector you move onto the next layer and build from there.
    I really do care who I get through the door, though. It isn't for every man and his dog.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of them, with their unique Google ID. It'll show you whether they've signed up or not, but that doesn't stop you leaving feedback.
    And if they haven't signed up does that feedback just sit there doing nothing? Or are you forwarding it to them even if they haven't signed up?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if they haven't signed up does that feedback just sit there doing nothing? Or are you forwarding it to them even if they haven't signed up?
    My sales team will reach out to let them know there is active feedback. Could develop a 'checker' where a company could go on to the platform and put their name in, sort of like an MOT check expired or not.