1 6.67%
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 2782

Thread: FIFA 2022 World Cup Group stage: Sponsored by Bud

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a Welsh woman at my work but she's lived in England her entire life so she sits on the fence. Someone asked her who she was supporting before the England vs Wales match and she said "I'm supporting these" and held up a rainbow coloured notepad. 10/10 for prep. Fair play love.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Also, the sycophancy and fawning is just too much.
    I don't know what it is, but Messi has always left me utterly cold. I'll take Zidane at his magisterial best over watching this midget drift towards goal and pass it into the far corner for the 54,134th time in his career.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    There's a Welsh woman at my work but she's lived in England her entire life so she sits on the fence. Someone asked her who she was supporting before the England vs Wales match and she said "I'm supporting these" and held up a rainbow coloured notepad. 10/10 for prep. Fair play love.
    omg

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been having a long hard think about the 'LGBT' stuff (I don't really like any of the letters, but the Q is an abomination) and the more I think about it, the more I think it boils down to this: either you go to Qatar (or Dubai or any country on the banned list), or you give a shit about gay rights. There's no having it both ways.

I therefore conclude that the England team / the other teams concerned don't give a shit about gay rights, and will bear this in mind going forward.

I also think that the people who think we should lecture Qatar about gay rights, but shouldn't lecture them about other things, are intellectually dishonest and/or very thick.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 03-12-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LGBTQ is just the trendy slogan of the day. In general, no one cares about anything, except for being one of the cool kids.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I've been having a long hard think about the 'LGBT' stuff (I don't really like any of the letters, but the Q is an abomination) and the more I think about it, the more I think it boils down to this: either you go to Qatar (or Dubai or any country on the banned list), or you give a shit about gay rights. There's no having it both ways.

I therefore conclude that the England team / the other teams concerned don't give a shit about gay rights, and will bear this in mind going forward.

I also think that the people who think we should lecture Qatar about gay rights, but shouldn't lecture them about other things, are intellectually dishonest and/or very thick.
    Weren't you previously defending Lewis Hamilton making even more pointless gestures than the footballers on the grounds that something is better than nothing?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Largely driven by it being clear as day that none of these fucks give two shits about any issues at all I'm increasingly coming round to Piers Morgan's way of thinking when it comes to the furore over Qatar hosting the World Cup.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Hamilton funded report on diversity in F1.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    LGBTQ is just the trendy slogan of the day. In general, no one cares about anything, except for being one of the cool kids.
    Plenty of people DO care though. Less than I wish did, but more than you reckon do, would be my back of a fag (arf) packet calculation. Corporate pride bullshit is bullshit, and the likes of the FA offering nothing but lip service to the ISSUES then pussying out of any real action at the first threat of "sporting sanctions" is the very definition of virtue signalling, but on an individual level there are plenty of people who do actually care about gay rights.

It's kinda lose lose though, cus if it's pronouns in bio, pride flag in profile picture you get the eye rolling and that tedious "I support the latest thing" I am very smart bullshit, but as soon as someone does anything vaguely disruptive it's like woah keep it in your own bedroom I didn't come here for a lecture on communism, why can't you find peaceful solutions blah blah.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Weren't you previously defending Lewis Hamilton making even more pointless gestures than the footballers on the grounds that something is better than nothing?
    Probably. Maybe I've thought some more and revised my opinion.

(F1 drivers are in a worse contractual position vis a vis races there than footballers are vis a vis the World Cup, so I have more sympathy).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    It's kinda lose lose though, cus if it's pronouns in bio, pride flag in profile picture you get the eye rolling and that tedious "I support the latest thing" I am very smart bullshit, but as soon as someone does anything vaguely disruptive it's like woah keep it in your own bedroom I didn't come here for a lecture on communism, why can't you find peaceful solutions blah blah.
    The truth is that most people don't like gays. Some (like the Qataris) have the opportunity to say so outright, others have to dress it up in 'Stick to the football', but it's all the same thing. People want everyone to be the same as them, so as to validate their position in life, and if people are different to them they often become quite upset. I'm sure I've done it.

I, meanwhile, don't like the idea of shite goalkeepers playing it out from the back.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truth is that most people don't like gays. Some (like the Qataris) have the opportunity to say so outright, others have to dress it up in 'Stick to the football', but it's all the same thing. People want everyone to be the same as them, so as to validate their position in life, and if people are different to them they often become quite upset. I'm sure I've done it.

I, meanwhile, don't like the idea of shite goalkeepers playing it out from the back.
    Neither do the Qataris lol.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just popping in for my bi-annual reminder that Pepe is an unfunny loser trying hard to be Lewis

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surprised how quickly it was all brushed under the rug and forgotten about (along with the builder deaths, etc etc) once the first few balls were kicked. Then again, I shouldn’t have been. All this “it would have been easier to boycott” was always a load of cop-out bollocks anyway. Making money is the single only thing that matters, and if you can give a little sermon on your soapbox to tick a box at the same time then all the better.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    Just popping in for my bi-annual reminder that Pepe is an unfunny loser trying hard to be Lewis
    Seen your player on my FM save?
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diversity and elite sport don't really go together. It's survival of the literal fittest and there ain't no grass roots entry into Formula 1.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realistically, England (or anyone else) can't not turn up to compete in a World Cup, so I don't think our stance on playing is particularly revealing of anything.

What is revealing is that the Football Association, for all of its 'One Love', turn up in the host nation and insult their [backwards] culture sanctimony (as an aside, in what other context would this be officially encouraged?), still has the equally homophobic, misogynist Dubai as the sponsor of its premier domestic cup competition. And as long as it does, its morality lectures are meaningless.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gay-bashing aside, these kits must be pleasing you, @Jimmy Floyd.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our sanctimony blob has a weird blind spot for Dubai. Very weird, when you think about it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My position is unchanged. I have no desire to visit the Middle East, but no more so than 12 months ago. I'm not a fan of the human rights stuff, sure, but also from a selfish stand point. What could my wife and daughter wear out and about? Is hand holding allowed? Etc. I can't be arsed with getting arrested for accidentally showing too much affection / skin.

It's a backwards shithole on various levels. Even the most "liberal" part. Dubai building a giant tree out of sand and allowing people to drink over priced beer in their hotels does not change that.

That said, if people want to go, fair enough. Crack on I guess. I don't think it makes them ok with stoning gays any more than I think people going to Florida are OK with illegal abortions or the death penalty. I didn't have to proclaim a declaration of hatred towards the Kurds when I went to Turkey.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Gay-bashing aside, these kits must be pleasing you, @Jimmy Floyd.
    They are. Three-colour kits on both sides, just perfect.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what it is, but Messi has always left me utterly cold. I'll take Zidane at his magisterial best over watching this midget drift towards goal and pass it into the far corner for the 54,134th time in his career.
    The great first touch into perfect through ball players (may they rest in peace) were always far more pleasing to the eye than the dribbling cunts.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My position is unchanged. I have no desire to visit the Middle East, but no more so than 12 months ago.
    Me neither. That said, if I was an elite athlete and the top competition of my sport was happening there, I would definitely go, no matter what I might think of their backwards ways. For most of these players this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Asking them to forego it in the name of, well, pretty much anything, is naive as fuck.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. The ownest of own goals.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on, Argies. Bottle this.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    De Paul looks scarily similar to Ryan Fraser from a distance with the way he walks/runs

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can he be so bad?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    De Paul looks scarily similar to Ryan Fraser from a distance with the way he walks/runs
    About 45 times better at football though.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell they did get the chance.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus, Kuol had a moment.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Fucking hell they did get the chance.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something about Argentina/Messi/their fans properly grinds my gears. It's like they're somehow the opposite of everything I was brought up to believe in.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the over-celebrating. Do you think the British Army did this at San Carlos Water?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We weren't going to win the tournament, but that was a nice way to finish. Obviously Argentina were the better side overall, but we were right in it and didn't get embarrassed. It also wasn't nearly as devastating an exist as 2006, which leaves a better taste in the mouth. If it wasn't for two good efforts late by the keeper, we could've gotten them to extra time, but I'd be lying if I said they didn't deserve the win. Messi was probably the difference, which is a lot better than I'd hoped.

It was a good tournament for us overall. First time we'd ever won two matches in a row at a World Cup. The team didn't have the attacking stars of the 2006 side, but they were organised and probably better in defence. Hopefully we build on this -- I'd like to see us make the knockout stages at World Cups more often.

Souttar was a colossus. Leckie getting a goal to rid himself of his unwanted record was nice for him. Hopefully Kuol turns into a mainstay over the next decade.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to your next post in 2026.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a strange take on someone who is unarguably one of the best football players to grace this planet.

These players should be quite rightly celebrated.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Jimmy to be honest, though in my case I know that at least a part of it is the fawning which gets super boring. And that for such an amazing player he's a properly charmless little twerp.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Autistic shaming

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if that's what I was into then I'd have come to the right place.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also these matches today are both gonna be pretty poo, aren't they?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    France are the most fun team to watch and then we get the Southgate meltdowns to end the week if England aren’t 0-3 up at half time

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm with Jimmy to be honest, though in my case I know that at least a part of it is the fawning which gets super boring. And that for such an amazing player he's a properly charmless little twerp.
    He's never cried on camera, so he's got that.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Games aren't good if only one team is, and Poland appear to be fucking awful.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope Argentina win it. It’s good for the Messi story.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A better story than 'talented man continues to succeed' would be something like 'talented man defeated in final by Harry Maguire'.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope Argentina lose and its somehow Messi's fault.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Gerrard-esque slip.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only missed penno in a final shootout

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine the wanking, the GREATEST PLAYER EVER playing for a BIG TIME NATION having only won a single Copa America in his career.

Something that could be beaten by Gary Medel who won back to back Copa America's.