User Tag List

Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,150 of 2417

Thread: Football Manager 23

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's got 'string of wins and defeat to Vienna' written all over it.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm approaching the halfway point of the second season with Folkestone, and it's been a surprisingly vast improvement over the tense relegation battle we experienced last season. A combination of youth players to rotate in and out, a strong team cohesion and a pretty robust defensive tactic has made us really hard to beat, and we've been grinding out results consistently.

Lots of great moments so far this season - the 3-2 win away at Weymouth early on was brilliant, with 16-year-old Rob Hewitt assisting two goals in stoppage time to turn it around. Hewitt himself has been the best of the youngsters, always seems to have an impact when he comes off the bench. Filipovic and Brooker have also contributed, with Brooker even grabbing a 95th minute equaliser against Truro City.

The biggest difference from last season has to be the improved defence - we kept only 3 clean sheets in the league throughout the entirety of the first season, and we already have managed to keep 5 as we enter December. The tactic is quite defensive, with less pressing and the lines quite deep, plus a Cautious mentality. This has really helped to prevent the main source of goals in non-league football - the hopeful punt over the backline for pacey strikers. We do concede more from low crosses as the line drops back into the area, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

All this leaves the table looking like so:

That recent 2-1 win over Slough Town looks even better now. I don't think we'll keep this up throughout the season - there are still times when fatigue really affects the squad and we have busy periods yet to play. But I think a top-half finish is genuinely possible.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    That's got 'string of wins and defeat to Vienna' written all over it.
    Lost to Arsenal and Liverpool and drew at Vienna (all of them away), while winning the rest. Not too bad an outcome at all.

That's some top effort there @thommo. I never had the patience (or the tactical flexibility) to do a save like that so it's so impressive to me.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 15-01-2024 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a season that was!

I didn't expect us to be that good, but basically take a squad on the up and add some world class (in my mind at least) players and this happens I guess? Let's start with two big departures both of which happened in January. Novotny had been making noises about moving to a bigger club for quite some time now so when United came in with a 100m euro offer for him, I just couldn't say no. The other player to leave was Rangel, who had thrown a fit about losing his place to Lecourt and wouldn't let it go so he joined Flamengo on loan, for 30m in installments and a future fee of another 30m. In came several players, the most important of which are the following 5:

Vibe was really solid last season so I wasn't in the market for another strong keeper, but this guy became available for just 10m and last time Vibe was injured we really struggled so I just went for it.

Probably the only high profile player to join in a position we were severely lacking. Heaps above what we had at the club and with much needed experience in his resume. Our record transfer, joined for 30m from Luton of all clubs.

One more case of "we didn't quite need strengthening in that position, but he was available so why not". It wasn't a hard decision mind you, as he only cost 15m and he is considered to be the most promising player in the world.

Him being available was the catalyst for the Rangel transfer. A player for his calibre only being available for 22m is just one of those bargains I just can't overlook.

Last time I was raving about how great Atkinson has been for us. But then this guy was available for 9m, which instantly made me go "Atkinson who?". My best signing so far in this save I'd say.

We reached the top spot around 10 games into the season and never left since. It became close at the end with a few unexpected defeats, but Arsenal didn't do much better. We went into the last game of the season only needing to avoid a heavy (6+ goal) defeat at their place, but we ended up beating them for good measure. We weren't much better defensively than last season but we scored 104 goals and it showed. In the grand scheme of things though, one could argue that Arsenal threw it away with their 12 draws, but they were essentially playing anti-football (63 scored, 25 conceded) so it serves them right I say. As a sidenote, half the clubs in the league qualified for Europe (with all three European trophies going to English sides - us, City and Liverpool).

A very dominant performance once again, as we went through the season unbeaten, breaking yet another record for goals scored (58 with the previous one being 45 including qualis). Funnily, Austria Vienna were the one side that came closest to beating us, although it was (partially) because I played the second string in both games. The final was an affair of two halves, as we dominated the first and should have been way out of reach, but we only scored two and an early goal from them in the second half made things way more tense than they should have been. In the end, we managed to hold on and marked my first time winning both European mickey mouse cups in the same save.

Great performances across the board, with Seral and Williams being the stand out performers. Seral was easily the most influential player in the squad, vastly improving our football when he was on the pitch, while Williams was lethal in front of goal, both in open play and from set-pieces. Bringing in a lot of those players that we didn't urgently need meant we were spoilt for options and we could afford to rotate more, which is what probably led to our league title. Special mention should go to Peña and Kunze, who have been at the club for 6 seasons now and will probably be here for more years to come. Another one worth mentioning is Henao, who has flown under the radar (I'm not sure I've even mentioned his name before) but has been a consistent squad player for us these last two seasons. I signed him to be our primary striker three seasons ago (for 600k!), only for him to instantly pick a long-term injury and lose his place to Rangel. At some point we had noone else available to play behind the striker so I just played him and he did really well. A few months later we had noone to play left wing and once again he was there with some great performances. This season, he took advantage of Kunze's 5-month injury, which saw him play a lot more and he didn't disappoint. As for the goalkeepers, you'll notice Vibe in the list with just 30 games to his name. I played him in every home game and Obradovic in every away game and they both performed rather good overall. The latter threw a fit about not playing every game early on in the season and has been holding a grudge since, but I don't really care. Maybe if he stops acting like a child, I'll take him more seriously, who knows?
    Last edited by Adramelch; 15-01-2024 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squeaky bum time.

My run in is Man Utd, Liverpool, Norwich then Arsenal.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I beat Man Utd 5-0, and though "this is on". Then this happened...

Leaves the table looking like this...

Second'll do.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended up third. Beaten 0-1 away to Arsenal on the final day of the season.

We go again.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 10 minute own goal hattrick

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I’m still on FM23 but have been messing around with a few saves on a custom database where I’ve added most of the main summer transfers & tweaked a few things. I’ve also been going to a lot of Pompey games this season, and given they’ve started the traditional turn of the year collapse it seemed like the ideal time to do a Pompey save for the first time in a while.

I’d planned to make it harder by handing off transfers, contracts etc to the staff, but when we were a few months in & only had two GK coaches in our coaching team, and every time I tried to loan someone in it said they can’t because of some imaginary rules, I’ve already binned most of that off & gone back to doing it all myself.

Zipped through the 23/24 season keeping the team as it is in real life & we won the league pretty comfortably by engaging Man City mode around Xmas then not losing another league game for the rest of the season. We also won the EFL Trophy & beat Southampton in the FA Cup before getting knocked out by Fulham.

In terms of key players, Colby Bishop & Ronan Curtis scored almost 80 goals between them, but to be honest most of the squad will be phased out over the next couple of seasons as it’s basically all just good League One players who’d be limited in the Championship - I think Alex Robertson, Joe Morrell, Paddy Lane & Regan Poole are the only ones who might stick around for a few seasons.

I’m coming to the end of preseason & I feel like we should have a decent shot at staying up, but we’re also likely to take a few kickings from the better teams - we’re predicted 21st in the season preview & that would be just fine with me.
    Just hit the end of 2024 so it's time for an update:

Transfers:
    Toggle Spoiler

Results:

Err...
    Toggle Spoiler

We start 2025 off with a game against Norwich on new years day, which seems like a great bit of scheduling, but at this point it's kinda playing with house money so given we also don't have much room for transfers we'll just keep pushing on & see where we end up.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Although Guinea are ranked 16th in the world.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Holidaying a few seasons with Miyagi Sensei (and creating perfect players to win the Miyagi cup) to see if we get league games, we don't. I then tried to add a manager in our league and spotted that we are one of only three teams in the division. As such I have killed the save, RIP Mr. Miyagi I will always wax on and off.

So I have started a new game and I have STOLEN Thommo's idea. I have Holidayed 7 times to get Hitchin Town (my home town) promoted to the Vanarama National League N/S (so I don't have to deal with a shit db) and will be doing YA only:

Here is the squad:

Not much there. Also, there are no players in the U18s and ZERO staff, plus no one in the team is sadly there in real life.

Here is our key player:

I have started scouting him with my 0 scouts to see how good he is...

Here are some photos of the club, team and town in general:

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you not have coaches? Why must you scout your own player? Usually you get your coaches assessment or assistant managers rating.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Do you not have coaches? Why must you scout your own player? Usually you get your coaches assessment or assistant managers rating.
    There was no staff at all, I was the only one in the building. I have since got staff.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just lost my first player.

34 year old McQuoid. He was on a non-contract with £500 appearance fee. Hastings United and Bognor Regis came in for him so I offered him a part time deal with £425 a week and £80 appearance fee.

He decided to go to Hastings in the tier below us (so non-playable) for £350 appearance fee...

Fucking moron.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Portsmouth 2024/25 Season Review

We start 2025 off with a game against Norwich on new years day, which seems like a great bit of scheduling, but at this point it's kinda playing with house money so given we also don't have much room for transfers we'll just keep pushing on & see where we end up.
    Just finished the season - could we continue our unexpected push for back to back promotions or would we come crashing back to reality?

Toggle Spoiler

The Squad:

Thought I'd also do a quick overview of the squad & my plans for the summer.

Goalkeepers
    Toggle Spoiler

Defenders
    Toggle Spoiler

Midfielders
    Toggle Spoiler

Wingers
    Toggle Spoiler

Strikers
    Toggle Spoiler

We were struggling a bit for money by the end of the year, running out of transfer budget, wage budget & scouting budget on a few occasions each, so I'm not expecting to be handed a big stack of cash to spend, and I doubt we'll be doing any upgrades to the stadium or facilities either. Might be another year or mostly loans & free agents

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Just lost my first player.

34 year old McQuoid. He was on a non-contract with £500 appearance fee. Hastings United and Bognor Regis came in for him so I offered him a part time deal with £425 a week and £80 appearance fee.

He decided to go to Hastings in the tier below us (so non-playable) for £350 appearance fee...

Fucking moron.
    Is it Josh McQuoid? If so based on his real life spell with us you've had a result there

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Is it Josh McQuoid? If so based on his real life spell with us you've had a result there
    It is indeed.

He was doing alright but I needed him as he was my only AMC.

I now only have 11 non-grey players until my youth intake.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing worse than losing the playoff final. Feels like such a waste of a season.

Our network game got accidentally holidayed too far but Oldham are now in the premier league in 2038. My mate was asked from Leicester for not doing anything for 8 years, so he’s got the Man Utd job. Mike completed it with City by doing six in a row so says he’s not rejoining.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which keeper shall I give the number 1 spot to?

Toggle Spoiler
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which keeper shall I give the number 1 spot to?

Toggle Spoiler
    Either of them like/not like big matches? What is each personality?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agility & reflexes are king when it comes to goalkeepers.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing worse than losing the playoff final. Feels like such a waste of a season.

Our network game got accidentally holidayed too far but Oldham are now in the premier league in 2038. My mate was asked from Leicester for not doing anything for 8 years, so he’s got the Man Utd job. Mike completed it with City by doing six in a row so says he’s not rejoining.
    And two champions leagues.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Either of them like/not like big matches? What is each personality?
    Perez relishes big matches and is spirited.
    Pereira enjoys big matches and is model citizen.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Model Citizen.

Is the bug still in where if a model citizen welcomes a new signing they become one too?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might result in a change of formation if the AM is good.

Was a busy January deadline day

We have had a real dip in form, but it's all still looking good.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only left back has decided to turn down a £130 a week part time contract to drop down to tier 10 with AFC Whyteleaf. His contract? £0 a week...

Down to 10 non-grey players.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can beat Brøndby

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Into the year 2087 on my FM11 save. As I approach my 104th birthday, I feel a retirement is on the horizon. Not because I want to, but because it's borked my reputation so I am struggling to get job offers from any high profile clubs.

Story of this season is summed up by the post below. We won all major competitions.

Having done this, I wanted to leave the club for a new adventure, but as per above I'm not getting a sniff at any of the high profile clubs. Not wanting to join a low level club each time I want a new venture, I am deciding to retire. With this, I post below my profile and career stats.

Lastly, a list of the clubs and nations I managed along the way.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some impressive stuff. Both Barce and Real, and love how often you return to Ayr

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3935 games is some effort.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitchin Town 2024/25 Season Update:

League:

Really happy with how we did, we never slipped into the relegation zone (20th was our worst) for a single minute this season. February really saved us as I was starting to get scared after January that we might be in trouble.

Cups:

Disappointed we didn't make the FA Cup proper as we should have beaten the flamingo fuckers.

Squad:

We lost two senior players in the season which hurt us as we only had 10 actual players for a while, although the grey LB we had did fairly well.

Youth Intake:

Here are all the players so I'll spoiler it:

Toggle Spoiler

Not a bad intake for our first, we've got a lot of physical specimens which will do well at this level but it's hard to see any of them being with us throughout our journey. Not sure why we have so many non-English lads (all my staff are English bar the U18s Ass Man who is English/Angolan).

Facilities & Finances:

I didn't ask for any training/youth facility upgrades but I did ask for Youth Recruitment upgrades and both times they were accepted by the board which is great. I will continue to ask.

In terms of cash, we have £126k in the bank and we're making money, although we now have a lot more players on the books.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit sick of pootling along with Oldham. Are there any super broken exploit tactics?
    @Dark Soldier
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one for the great names compilation.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit sick of pootling along with Oldham. Are there any super broken exploit tactics?
    @Dark Soldier
    No idea mate not played it in ages.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On we go

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody Newcastle won the Europa League and took my Champions League spot. Cunts.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems like a bug? I am fairly certain that winning the Champions League/Europa League gives an additional spot rather than taking it away from the 4th team.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    That seems like a bug? I am fairly certain that winning the Champions League/Europa League gives an additional spot rather than taking it away from the 4th team.
    Fortunately, England was awarded the extra coefficient spot, so I got in $$$$$

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Milan have drawn three in a row.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone elses team look like world beaters, then just fall about for a game?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Portsmouth 2024/25 Season Review

We were struggling a bit for money by the end of the year, running out of transfer budget, wage budget & scouting budget on a few occasions each, so I'm not expecting to be handed a big stack of cash to spend, and I doubt we'll be doing any upgrades to the stadium or facilities either. Might be another year or mostly loans & free agents

Portsmouth 2025/26 Midseason Update

After falling apart in the second half of last season, we're back to try again & as expected we're on a budget, and with West Ham & Southampton dropping down into the Championship this season there's a decent group of big name teams for us to scrap with if we're going to go one better this time around.

Transfers:
    Toggle Spoiler

Results:

Once again we've made a quick exit from the Carabao Cup, losing to West Brom on penalties in the second round, but the real focus in the league:
    Toggle Spoiler

I don't think we'll be going very far in the FA Cup this year as we've drawn our parent club Man City in the third round, but maybe we'll spring an upset & go on to win the whole thing...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So near, and yet so far.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a wet fart of an end of the season.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sulked all day. Anyways, heres the season:
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Mike. That's a shitter. Sack them all in anger and replace with a new first 11? Or, remain calm and give the same players another chance next season?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll mostly stay, but, as I always do, I've lined up way to many players to join in the summer. Got like 4CB's coming in haha. My big worry, is bigger teams coming in and buying my better players.

In better news..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the same but it's all youngsters. I currently have 5 right-backs that are 20 years old or younger with 4+ stars potential.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got to get your loan farm up and running.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to get them to qualify as home-grown is my issue, so given they all signed at 18 loaning them out ain't it. I guess I don't need all 5 of them to be home-grown, I just can't choose.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been having a very enjoyable save with Parma which, in season five, is now seeing me go toe-to-toe with Milan and Inter for Serie A.

I’ve backed off that for a bit to do a more YDWAWK style save with Red Star in France to see if I can start a new communist dynasty in Paris.