User Tag List

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The Nintendo Switch

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm saying though, the weapon degradation didn't actually bother me much once I got into the game because the combat was such a "I just want this over with" and not a huge amount of fun when engaged with that I just picked up anything that had higher numbers and used it until it died.

I mean that looks fine, I guess, but I thought all things considered weapon degradation just wasn't that irritating because I didn't like any of the weapons enough in the first place to be annoyed I'd lost them.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just leg it every time a monster appears.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That's what I'm saying though, the weapon degradation didn't actually bother me much once I got into the game because the combat was such a "I just want this over with" and not a huge amount of fun when engaged with that I just picked up anything that had higher numbers and used it until it died.

I mean that looks fine, I guess, but I thought all things considered weapon degradation just wasn't that irritating because I didn't like any of the weapons enough in the first place to be annoyed I'd lost them.
    Ah I love the combat. But then I'm doing slow mo in the air to fire arrows, using bombs, hitting flurry rushes and parries, dropping objects onto enemies, rewinding things they've thrown at me so they hit them etc.

If you just go in with a sword or whatever and just do that then yeah its boring as shit tbh.

Its a sandbox so imagination plays a huge part.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rewind in TOTK does sound entertaining.

I tried to open most fights in BOTW with bombs and/or objects because at least with the physics there was some fun to be found in the combat. The dream was finding a big hill with some goblins at the bottom of it and treating it like a putt, try to gauge how the rolls of the hill would divert the bomb and get it right into the middle of them first time.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Managed to nab a discount code off my cousin and so it'll get the special edition OLEDs down to £286, OLED to £279 and the standard with Mario Odyssey down to £233.

While my indecisive ass picks which one to get, other than a screen protector is there any accessories that are a must-have?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the messenger bag but the only part of the package I use when travelling is the case.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have a travel case. A memory card too.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Switch came today but annoyingly at the time of ordering they didnt have anything with screen protector on the Nintendo site, so it's off into town to see about picking one up tomorrow.

Going to head to CeX where I've £70 in vouchers to use too, so that might stretch to two games, but if I could only get one, which is the one game I should get?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get any with it?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah I got the Zelda OLED.

Imo the Splatoon one is the best looking console they have but there's limited numbers of them left and my discount code made this one near £35 cheaper.

We do already have Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and I think Mario Odyssey somewhere in the house.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Switch came today but annoyingly at the time of ordering they didnt have anything with screen protector on the Nintendo site, so it's off into town to see about picking one up tomorrow.

Going to head to CeX where I've £70 in vouchers to use too, so that might stretch to two games, but if I could only get one, which is the one game I should get?
    New Zelda obvs

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annoyingly they didn't have it in stock in the local one, but I'm keeping my eye out. Picked up Kirby and the Forgotten Land. That'll do for now.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now it's been a couple of weeks, while I can say the new Zelda is an absolute masterpiece it's starting to grate a little. It's just too similar to BotW in a lot of areas once the joy of the new has worn off.

I think my largest gripe with this, and it was my major flaw in BotW, is that while the game is vast and huge in scope and handled brilliantly by Nintendo in always having something on the horizon, the placement of things to do feels structured by the devs, and not as if it is genuinely a living, breathing world. Unlike, say, Elden Ring which feels more logical.

I'm seeing the same things on repeat at times, and the only thing I'm actually really looking forward to doing is Shrines, which are vastly improved. The discovery trumps the outcome, for me.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Now it's been a couple of weeks, while I can say the new Zelda is an absolute masterpiece it's starting to grate a little. It's just too similar to BotW in a lot of areas once the joy of the new has worn off.

I think my largest gripe with this, and it was my major flaw in BotW, is that while the game is vast and huge in scope and handled brilliantly by Nintendo in always having something on the horizon, the placement of things to do feels structured by the devs, and not as if it is genuinely a living, breathing world. Unlike, say, Elden Ring which feels more logical.

I'm seeing the same things on repeat at times, and the only thing I'm actually really looking forward to doing is Shrines, which are vastly improved. The discovery trumps the outcome, for me.
    Are you still feeling the same? I’m amazed at the vastness of it. Still only feel like I’ve scratched the surface but it’s also the longest I’ve played a game in years.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped playing once Street Fighter 6 came out. Should get back to it.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Are you still feeling the same? I’m amazed at the vastness of it. Still only feel like I’ve scratched the surface but it’s also the longest I’ve played a game in years.
    Its a clear 10/10 but after 300+ hours in BotW I've run out of steam with it a little. There's a bit too much similarity, the main dungeons are a bit ropey (the jouriesy to them are great, though).

My gripes with it are personal. It's an absolutely stunning achievement but its a bit too 'much' for me. Its given me some amazing joy and I'll return to it to finish it but not feeling the draw right now.

As I say though, ignoring my own grievances with it its genuinely one of the best games ever made and if BotW never existed I'd be at about 400 hours in it by now.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read that Mario RPG is getting a remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5PJx7rlds
    Last edited by Pepe; 22-06-2023 at 02:48 PM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm up for that. I think that crosses off most of the Nintendo tentpoles I've wanted to play. Maybe I'll give Pikmin a shot?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Its a clear 10/10 but after 300+ hours in BotW I've run out of steam with it a little. There's a bit too much similarity, the main dungeons are a bit ropey (the jouriesy to them are great, though).

My gripes with it are personal. It's an absolutely stunning achievement but its a bit too 'much' for me. Its given me some amazing joy and I'll return to it to finish it but not feeling the draw right now.

As I say though, ignoring my own grievances with it its genuinely one of the best games ever made and if BotW never existed I'd be at about 400 hours in it by now.
    Yeah I didn’t get very far at all in BOTW hence my love for this one!

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want to get another game just to have a couple to go at. Probably between the latest Zelda or FC24. What's the latter like for actual gameplay rather than just an expensive sticker album?

Any other bargains to know about in the Nintendo store for this?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You dont want a modern sports title on the Switch. The performance on it is gash. Zelda does make it struggle at points but will work much better.

What kind of games are you looking to play?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably more along the Zelda/Mario/Metroid type thing, but I wouldn't mind something there to just pick up and have a go of like a soccer or a golf game, something like that.

I downloaded some mini golf thing for 99c and it was too expensive even at that much.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vampire Survivors probably costs a couple of quid on it. That kills half an hour.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get Pikmin.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If money is not an issue, Mario Odyssey is perhaps the best non-Zelda game on the console. Zelda you might want to go for Breath of the Wild first over TOTK. Can't really go wrong with either though.

If looking for something else, maybe see if Fire Emblem is your thing. Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing are both top notch if you're into the genre too.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm loving Odyssey so far.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prime Remaster, Metroid Dread, Golf Story, Odyssey and BotW are the five big Switch hitters for me. Golf Story is an RPG based around golf so don't be expecting any proper golf shenanigans.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get the latest Zelda.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mario Kart is fun too. But yeah, get Zelda.
    I don’t know how good Animal Crossing would be going in new now. Going in at launch with everyone else was brilliant in lockdown though.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was a bit aprehensive about the amount of time you'd probably need to sink into it, but got Tears of the Kingdom in the end.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early in play in fairness, but I have regrets.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure that you will like it later if you don't enjoy it early on.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd rather something with some direction to it. I've wandered aimlessly around the first bit for ages picking up apples and mushrooms, and everything looks identical to the last bit. No idea where I'm going or what I'm supposed to be doing but I'm bored off my face now.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s bad. Take it back and get New Super Luckys Tale.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to bring it to CeX, definitely not a game for me.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoever designed the game slot on this thing should be shot too. Stuck on one game until you can get your hands on a knife, bullshit.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know that was a problem you could have with this. I get enough leverage when it initially pops out.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume he means popping the cover off. That one will get easier over time.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need women's nails at the very minimum.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Show us the sausage fingers.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got fat fingers but I've never had a problem.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say mine is defective as you can't even do it with a regular knife, you need a really sharp one. I've wrecked it with scratches from even attempting to open it.
    I'd near pay the Nintendo premium over Amazon just to have the games on it without the cartridge in future.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put an SD card in it and just buy the games via download. You get get huge storage ones for cheap these days.

Downside is once you buy you're stuck with the game.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just hate paying Nintendo those prices when it’s so much cheaper for a game you actually own.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That said, Wonder has been bought.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a reward & recognition from work last week so I’ve bought Odyssey & Fire Emblem Engage to upgrade my Switch from a Pokemon machine to an actual console.

I’ve not played a FE game before but it does sound like my kinda thing, although all the different interconnected game arcs always made me a bit hesitant to jump in. Am I good to just go straight into Engage then trying some of the back catalogue or am I going to be better off playing the other Switch titles/Awakening first?

A few pokes around t’internet seems to suggest it’s not part of other timelines & I just won’t get some of the references to specific characters, but from a game mechanics standpoint etc does it make more sense to start further back?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fire Emblem mechanics haven’t changed for 20 years. You’ll be fine.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SM Wonder has made it worth buying this thing all by itself. Odyssey is excellent but fucked up a bit by loads of shitty camera angles. 2D Mario is still the best Mario. I just hope it doesn't start to lean too much on those badges - these things don't need to be overcomplicated, which is what ruins Zelda completely.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    That said, Wonder has been bought.
    Same. Got it for £39. It is SO much fun.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a pro controller. Gave it to my nephew. Fisher Price level piece of plastic shite. Hateful thing.

Got an 8bitdo adapter instead and now using my Series X controller. Much better.