Page 104 of 581 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,200 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    In the context of Covid, I thought it was breath on your own or ventilate with nothing in between?
    Lol no. How would that work? One breath you're breathing fine for yourself, the next you can't breathe at all?
    Last edited by randomlegend; 01-04-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Gove said that increased testing for this is being held up by a lack of the required chemical reagents.

Chemical manufacturers have gone "Erm, there's no shortage that we're aware of."

Excellent.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are currently 15 000 crewman aboard 18 cruise ships off the coast of Australia.
    Even Jacinda wont accept a single cruise ship. I guess now is the best possible time to have a Minister for Facism to sort this mess out.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...stralias-coast
    Last edited by Queenslander; 01-04-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    So Gove said that increased testing for this is being held up by a lack of the required chemical reagents.

Chemical manufacturers have gone "Erm, there's no shortage that we're aware of."

Excellent.
    I absolutely can't stand that slimy cunt.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Lol no. How would that work? One breath you're breathing fine for yourself, the next you can't breathe at all?
    well yeah isn't that exactly the case? It is in all the articles I've read such is the speed of the virus when it gets to your lungs.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/busines...cco-leaves/amp

Pretty sick to carry out April Fools in this climate.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well yeah isn't that exactly the case? It is in all the articles I've read such is the speed of the virus when it gets to your lungs.
    Obviously that's not the case...if it was then unless you happened to already be in an ICU when you stopped breathing you'd have a 100% mortality rate.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Robert Peston said about 'the chemical industry' providing the stuff is balls. He might as well have been quoting ice cream men. Another one for these journalists and their methods being shown right up by all this (and he hasn't corrected it as twenty thousand people have shared it and convinced themselves of it).

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    What Robert Peston said about 'the chemical industry' providing the stuff is balls. He might as well have been quoting ice cream men. Another one for these journalists and their methods being shown right up by all this (and he hasn't corrected it as twenty thousand people have shared it and convinced themselves of it).
    I don't understand why all 'political journalists' haven't been furloughed. Newsnight went deep on our lack of testing last night, but heading up the following to the opener was their political editor. I mean, why? Just get John Campbell on via Skype from his spare bedroom.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously that's not the case...if it was then unless you happened to already be in an ICU when you stopped breathing you'd have a 100% mortality rate.
    So it's only the ones who go from oxygen to ventilator? You can go from oxygen to normal? Remember I'm not a doctor you little prick.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also, what the fuck is this tool doing driving round the Schengen area bothering border staff?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...back-to-europe

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people get no symptoms at all. Some get a nasty cough and feel flu-y. Some feel breathless, but cope fine at home. Some need a bit of oxygen. Some need a lot of oxygen. Some need ventilating. And everything in-between. Most people don't need a ventilator, but the numbers of cases are large enough that even that small percentage who do will likely overwhelm our capacity at some point.

I know you're not a doctor but you obviously don't go from fine to needing a ventilator in a few seconds. Nobody would be surviving if that were the case.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, well, you're no Wifi Soutions Sales Officer.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I don't understand why all 'political journalists' haven't been furloughed. Newsnight went deep on our lack of testing last night, but heading up the following to the opener was their political editor. I mean, why? Just get John Campbell on via Skype from his spare bedroom.
    I suspect that they think they're essential. Plus if we didn't have Newsnight for two months people might get used to it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that they think they're essential. Plus if we didn't have Newsnight for two months people might get used to it.
    By all means have it, you just don't need political journalists on it. They have nothing to offer.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people get no symptoms at all. Some get a nasty cough and feel flu-y. Some feel breathless, but cope fine at home. Some need a bit of oxygen. Some need a lot of oxygen. Some need ventilating. And everything in-between. Most people don't need a ventilator, but the numbers of cases are large enough that even that small percentage who do will likely overwhelm our capacity at some point.

I know you're not a doctor but you obviously don't go from fine to needing a ventilator in a few seconds. Nobody would be surviving if that were the case.
    Typical smarminess from the resident GP. I never suggested it was a few seconds. I have just read a few articles where people went from 'fine' to 'ventilation' within hours. I didn't know if oxygen was a step in between or not, or at which point standard oxygen isn't enough.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peston is on LBC now and he hasn't a clue.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical smarminess from the resident GP. I never suggested it was a few seconds. I have just read a few articles where people went from 'fine' to 'ventilation' within hours. I didn't know if oxygen was a step in between or not, or at which point standard oxygen isn't enough.
    I asked you if you thought one breath they were fine and the next they couldn't breathe and you replied "isn't that exactly the case"...

But anyway. Yes some people are deteriorating very quickly (hours) to the point of needing ventilation. Most aren't. Most who need a ventilator will have been on oxygen for a while first. Some will need oxygen but never need a ventilator.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://covid19.healthdata.org/

Here's some graphs and projections for the US. It's ... all over the place.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked you if you thought one breath they were fine and the next they couldn't breathe and you replied "isn't that exactly the case"...

But anyway. Yes some people are deteriorating very quickly (hours) to the point of needing ventilation. Most aren't. Most who need a ventilator will have been on oxygen for a while first. Some will need oxygen but never need a ventilator.
    You could have just said that first, that's the info I was after.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a decent timeline of the 'herd immunity' stuff that counters the bullshit NARRATIVE that has taken hold. But then he's probably the best historian in the country, and he's actually read the documents, so I suppose it would differ from what the knobheads are putting out.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could have just said that first, that's the info I was after.
    Soz bbz xoxoxo

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a decent timeline of the 'herd immunity' stuff that counters the bullshit NARRATIVE that has taken hold. But then he's probably the best historian in the country, and he's actually read the documents, so I suppose it would differ from what the knobheads are putting out.
    He's just parroting what the government said at various stages. I haven't read the documents but there's nothing in there I didn't know and some of it (like the approach to large gatherings going ahead) was at the time and remains, manifest nonsense.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gist of the strategy in the first four days was "we're going to suppress the peak, but we're not actually going to do anything to suppress that peak yet". You can argue whether this is worth the effort and the longer term pain (I don't happen to agree that it isn't at this stage) but the government clearly changed tack far quicker than they were planning to.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an attempt to counter the NARRATIVE that the original plan was based largely around us all getting it and doing not a lot about it, which is a) wrong; and b) obscures the actual issues that they faced (including those that led to them having to speed things up).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given how little we're testing, it makes me wonder if we've still got one eye on that. Hoard a load of tests until the end of next month and then go nuts to see how much of the country has/had it. Or we could just be shite at battling other nations in the testing market.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an attempt to counter the NARRATIVE that the original plan was based largely around us all getting it and doing not a lot about it, which is a) wrong; and b) obscures the actual issues that they faced (including those that led to them having to speed things up).
    By "issues that they faced", do you mean realising that more people would die (a lot more) if they carried on down the route they were planning to at the planned pace?

I agree though that I don't think the plan was ever to do nothing, and anyone that thinks that wasn't paying attention.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Approval ratings for the government are off the charts high. The public know the score.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When is the next GE in the UK?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we've got another four years yet. Whenever May pulled that fast one that blew up in her face.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't they get rid of the fixed term parliament act?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By "issues that they faced", do you mean realising that more people would die (a lot more) if they carried on down the route they were planning to at the planned pace?

I agree though that I don't think the plan was ever to do nothing, and anyone that thinks that wasn't paying attention.
    More the pros and cons of the various different measures considered, all of which explain the initial pacing of the strategy, and then how that had to change when new information started coming in. It's definitely worth reading all the official stuff published.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that 600? OYFT.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good job we can't have an election with that brilliant 'plan' Jeremy Corbyn has outlined doing the rounds. It shows the government right up.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Approval ratings for the government are off the charts high. The public know the score.
    So is Trumps and the Italian bloke.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More the pros and cons of the various different measures considered, all of which explain the initial pacing of the strategy, and then how that had to change when new information started coming in. It's definitely worth reading all the official stuff published.
    Unless there's more chap didn't publish in his article then I've seen it all. And if the new information were updated death forecasts, well, yeah, the original ones were wrong. Badly wrong. As anyone could have told them based on all available information from elsewhere.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And we should have locked shit down sooner, as I and others were saying at the time. Today's death toll (if we're now at that level or more for a while) is testament to that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For context, Italy hit 600 hundred+ deaths on the 20th March, prior to that they hadn't topped 500.

Appreciate this isn't an exact science, but we're also not counting deaths outside hospitals it seems.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/groups...id-19-response

All that stuff, some of which (like this) deals with the political and practical difficulties of telling people to stay inside at a time when barely anyone here was dying from it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And one more, and then I'll stop. The government aren't handling this well. While some aspects have been genuinely impressive (Nightingale jumps to mind immediately), our testing is a farce. And without that we've no hope of getting back to proper normality until a vaccine comes along.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think many places have been. Deaths will go up for ages yet, though the growth rate will start to slow. Cases probably for another week or two before we see them stabilise and drop.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/groups...id-19-response

All that stuff, some of which (like this) deals with the political and practical difficulties of telling people to stay inside at a time when barely anyone here was dying from it.
    The behavioural science wank? I saw them talking about it at length in several press conferences. It's a tough gig to manage in those circumstances (minimal deaths) I don't doubt, but that's not a reason to not try if you're ultimately going down a lockdown road anyway.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don’t think many places have been. Deaths will go up for ages yet, though the growth rate will start to slow. Cases probably for another week or two before we see them stabilise and drop.
    We've no idea what the growth rate is though as we've barely tested anybody.

You probably know more about this than I, but is it true we're not even testing to current capacity yet?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the border shut and we’ll have football in Scotland back by mid-May

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've no idea what the growth rate is though as we've barely tested anybody.

You probably know more about this than I, but is it true we're not even testing to current capacity yet?
    No idea on testing capacity. The boffins know what the growth rate is as they see the growth of hospital admissions pretty much in real time. Hospital admissions are a very good indicator.

The next few weeks are going to be bad. We’ve been told that by mid-April we expect to have more Covid-19 patients than we currently have beds across our five sites. We should expect to see national deaths bounce around the high hundreds from later this week and for that to continue for another 2-3 weeks.

We are very likely to see case numbers stabilise then drop after Easter week. The government will then need to consider how quickly they open stuff up. My guess is that they won’t do so until they know they can test widely enough to shut down specific sectors or locations when the need arises.

The really shit thing is that we can see how bad it’s about to get. The good thing is that we can see in Lombardy (and will soon see across Italy) that the worst will pass.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90+% of deaths seem to be the infirm. Beside the point of discontent focused within one group of society as opposed to spread across everyone, they really should have just quarantined those at risk and let the rest of us out to play. That way they could palm the deaths off on individual responsibility, too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    90+% of deaths seem to be the infirm. Beside the point of discontent focused within one group of society as opposed to spread across everyone, they really should have just quarantined those at risk and let the rest of us out to play. That way they could palm the deaths off on individual responsibility, too.
    I reckon if they had the data they do now, they would have in many places, to be honest (at least in countries with enough records to know the age of everyone and where they are).
    I think basically a bunch of miscalculations have been made very early on that has made it a little too late for everyone everywhere to take any proper actions.

But then also:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/h..._Bes2R3GZSSrPE

It just seems more and more like a bunch of people are just walking around spreading this in society without having a clue they are. So you would have had to A) Quarantine all old people and risk groups and then B) make sure EVERYONE who ever gets to see them (bringing food etc) are all tested like...daily?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears to have killed April Fools as a concept which I'm glad for.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just taken notice to Finlands prime minister. Wish she was ours.