Page 300 of 373 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302310350 ... LastLast
Results 14,951 to 15,000 of 18632

Thread: The Ultimate WWE Thread

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    AEW Full Gear is going to take me a while to get through. Two of the matches I want to watch are on the pre-show (I like Starks, and Akiyama is a legend).

NJPW/Stardom I might just have to watch the last two matches unless you recommend a particular random tag? Apparently the women's title match is brilliant.
    The mixed tags are mostly just exhibitions (the one with Tana and Hayashita is probably the pick) but there's also Mutas last match and Ospreay / Umino which is pretty good.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently finished the book NITRO by Guy Evans. If anyone is at all interested in the inner workings of WCW then I can’t recommend it enough. It’s so well researched and written and absolutely blows ‘The Death of WCW’ out of the water.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    300 pages talking about wrestling.

I really hope this MJF vs Paddy Pimblett thing doesn’t go anywhere.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    I recently finished the book NITRO by Guy Evans. If anyone is at all interested in the inner workings of WCW then I can’t recommend it enough. It’s so well researched and written and absolutely blows ‘The Death of WCW’ out of the water.
    I nabbed a load of books on that dodgy pirate kindle site before it went down so I've got this on my list, looking forward to it. I'd advise against the Brian Gewirtz book if you already know that he's great, the Rock is great and the McMahons are great.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we're on this, if you're interested in how the business used to work, the Lou Thesz Hooker book is very good.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my review of Full Gear, the first event of AEW I’ve watched in its (almost) entirety for a long time, so I thought I’d celebrate the occasion by hitting you all with lots of words about it. It’s taken me five days so I feel a sense of accomplishment just by reaching the end. I won’t complain about the length of WrestleMania ever again. This fucker looked long enough so I skipped any angles/skits so if I missed something obvious then that’s why. I wanted to give up on this after the ROH title match because I wasn’t enjoying it but I plowed on in the name of content for the board.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On their show last night either the Elite were just being shitmunchers to a Chicago crowd or CM Punk is coming back and they're going to do the sensible thing and monetise all the backstage nonsense

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't surprise me if it's the former unfortunately.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff Jarrett and Sting wrestling in 2022

Inject it

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dynamite highlighted AEW's problem. Coming off a major PPV, key players from that Jack Perry, MJF, Samoa Joe and Wardlow are nowhere to be seen. Tony seems to have this perception that once someone gets over, they're over forever and he can move onto his next project.

I love Ishii but there's no need for him to be taking up a TV spot here. They've got 100 guys under contract.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched WAR GAMES.

I'd not seen a WAR GAMES match before today so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Though a 5 match PLE card is an odd thing to see in a world where Wrestlemania is now going to last a week.

Womens Team Faces v Team Heels - Was alright. As said I didn't really know the premise but the first 10-15 mins of this is just filler until we get everyone in the ring. Some decent spots along the way. The camera guy being pinned up into the middle bit between the two rings seemed a bit lol but I suppose the only alternative is high mounted ones which would look shit.
    Definitely felt like I saw a few times where there someone was waiting for a spot, but the previous one wasn't finished yet, so they were caught waiting as the camera turned to them. Decent finish off the cage, but it definitely felt like here that BIG TIME BECKS was a bigger deal than the actual champion.

Styles v Balor - Pretty good showcase of Balors in-ring work. They made him look like he'd done his homework too. We got the outside interference bollocks out of the way early on this one so we could just have a normal match after. Can't say I care much for a "how dare you not join my club" angle. It might have been better with Balor being usurped by AJ in the same way that Edge was.

Ronda v Shotzi - This was horrible. I get we're building to the inevitable face turn and going over of Baszler, but having the "baddest woman on the planet" needing back up is lol. Shotzi looked terrible and Ronda doesn't seem to care much these days beyond the paycheck(I have seen stuff about her wanting to be loved by the fans, but being genuinely pissed off that they dont). The one big spot of the match was odd too. It would have been much better if a superstar or NXT person was sat in the row of seats taken out and then got involved. There was one bad botch on a DDT to the apron, which looked more like Rondas fault.

Triple threat - The start of this was quite lol with the two main guys battering Theory out of the ring. Some good work in here and it was made to genuinely feel like we were just waiting for either of the two to get a chance to pin Theory. Well worked finish too.
    I think this confirms that the failed cash in was more a case of having to get rid of the briefcase problem, than a burial of Theory.

Bloodline v team faces - This has been built superbly of late and more so on the night. Great storytelling in the ring too. Even with all that I did not see the low blow coming. Seems we now have Sami Uso. Though he still did well to look resentful after the match. I hope there more to come from this rather than just Sami v KO feud for the 50th time.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proper reviews.

I might watch this at some point now I’ve read that.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only seen the women's Wargames match thus far. It was alright but pretty sloppy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly they made rookie booking mistake 1.01 when it comes to War Games and had the heels have the disadvantage. Unforgivable if true.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In which match?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mens. Bloodline had Roman come out last.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that not intentional though? All I’ve seen is his walk into the ring so no idea if he cleaned house when he entered but it seems typical Roman Reigns booking.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen the match yet but that works for me.

Have all the plebs fight for the X minutes it takes until Roman comes in and starts beating the shit out of someone.

Makes sense to have him come in as the very last man.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's dumb, you have the heel team outnumbered for most of the match.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you have big ticket Roman coming in last and that's all that matters, making Roman as MASSIVE as possible.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rubbish, you work against the match format for 90% of the time just for one entrance and he's not even the focus of the story you've written.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Disco. Renders the majority of the match pointless. AEW have a similar problem where they have all these 25 minute "epics" but don't play the face vs. heel game properly so it's completely irrelevant up until the final stretch.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snapped right in half. Like Steve Blackman with some kendo sticks.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was the first PPV I’ve watched since Mania and it was decent. I don’t watch all the womens dross but the triple threat for the US title was not bad. I don’t know what in the fuck Seth Rollins is anymore but he isn’t good. He’s a shell of his former self and works so soft it’s laughable. He’s turning into The Miz. Theory looks like a potential star but haven’t seen a lot of him.

The main event was nicely done. I’m fine with the heels being at a disadvantage because it fed into the Sami storyline quite well. The in ring action itself was pretty meh but the ending was nicely done and going off the air with Sami being hugged as a fully fledged member was good storytelling. I can’t believe what they’ve done with Roman. He was absolutely horrendous as the Cena clone but the tribal chief shit is great. They’ve struck gold on a perfect character here.

I don’t think I can stomach Raw and Smackdown but this at least gives me some hope that Haitch is resurfacing the Titanic, so to speak.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heyman wins again.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's probably the best NXT or WWE Wargames they've done because it was basically an extended Bloodline angle so they actually found something to do with the fucking endless period Wargames has by design where nothing can happen because the match "hasn't started" yet.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished Wargames tonight.

The ending to the main event

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently KO potatoed Roman? Because he flipped his lid backstage after according to reports.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any reports with specifics ? The ones I'm seeing are pretty vague about what KOs actually supposed to have done, just that Reigns was complaining of a ruptured ear drum?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ben

You're going to love Man Scout, he's currently reading a book while running the ropes.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you tagging me for?

He lost to fucking Cutler on Dark, so at least they know his level.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the Men's War Games last night. Oh boy was that bad (because of the booking, not the workers). So there was the aforementioned babyface advantage which was obviously done so Roman was the man to enter last, but it completely derailed the entire match until he got in. The whole concept of War Games is for the heels to have the man advantage until the big babyface comes in to level it up, and that was taken away entirely so it was just a messy cage match. The overuse of weapons was ridiculous as well for two reasons; firstly, if you're trying to get over the War Games cage itself as a dangerous big time match then don't litter it with tables and chairs because you're telling the audience to focus on them rather than the fucking cage itself and secondly, I lost count of how many people went through tables and that killed the whole "oh my God" factor of someone going through a fucking table. The match also highlighted how nobody these days has any wrestling psychology; when it wasn't that person's turn to be the focus of the match, they were just laid on the apron selling a punch for minutes at a time. Go and watch and old War Games and see the difference, it's very noticeable. The whole Sami/KO angle at the end was great though but the 40 minutes that led to it was just dead.

Then I looked at Dynamite this morning to see if I should bother watching it. You might be surprised to hear the answer is no. First up is Danielson vs. Dax which just pisses me off; it'll be a great match in a vacuum no doubt but how can you ever get your tag teams over as a legitimate threat if they lose every fucking time they have a singles match (I think the only person he's ever beaten is Cash)? Dax is a great wrestler and Tony thinks him having a nice match against another nice wrestler is good booking. It fucking ain't mate. So I know that result already but they should get a few "this is awesome" chants from the crowd. Then I also saw Ricky Starks has a match against a jobber, why the fuck would you put your underdog babyface in a squash match where he can't display any of his underdog babyface qualities? Jesus Christ. Then Match 3 from the trios gang which is a hard skip for me now. I'll just catch the MJF promo on YouTube.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you see the waiting around thing it really stands out. The more people in a match the worse it is, people sat ringside for the ladder matches must be bemused by someone just lying on the floor in front of them watching for a cue to pop straight back in for a seconds and then back out until it's their turn again.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my Full Gear review highlighted my seethe with multi-man matches and that's just one of the reasons, albeit a massive one. But it's definitely modern wrestling that exacerbates the multi-man problem in that no-one knows where to put themselves and having to go 40 minutes amplifies it. I'm sure WCW versions used to be more like 20 minutes so the guys in the background could just do some plodding brawling in the other ring for a bit which isn't a great spectacle but at least it's not phoney as shit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wargames is just a bad stip.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then I looked at Dynamite this morning to see if I should bother watching it. You might be surprised to hear the answer is no. First up is Danielson vs. Dax which just pisses me off; it'll be a great match in a vacuum no doubt but how can you ever get your tag teams over as a legitimate threat if they lose every fucking time they have a singles match (I think the only person he's ever beaten is Cash)? Dax is a great wrestler and Tony thinks him having a nice match against another nice wrestler is good booking. It fucking ain't mate. So I know that result already but they should get a few "this is awesome" chants from the crowd. Then I also saw Ricky Starks has a match against a jobber, why the fuck would you put your underdog babyface in a squash match where he can't display any of his underdog babyface qualities? Jesus Christ. Then Match 3 from the trios gang which is a hard skip for me now. I'll just catch the MJF promo on YouTube.
    I just did. MJF is brilliant. He cut an ultra heel promo so if any mark fans still want to cheer him, they're either beyond help or don't like wrestling. MJF reveals a new Burberry World title strap and then shits all over the company and any babyface who might challenge him before proclaiming he's fucking off in 2024 to make a shit ton of money out of Triple H. Speaking of Triple H, it seems Regal is going back there as his heel turn at Full Gear was seemingly a one-night thing after MJF punched him straight into an ambulance to write him off TV. If I was to nitpick, he did get a bit too carried away with burying people who the fans may otherwise get behind as the challenger but he probably needed to do it to get people booing him again.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Triple H.
    "Trips"
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Tell 'em, Tri."

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Acclaimed vs. FTR on Dynamite this Wednesday. Tony is clueless. This is their best tag match and he’s throwing it on free TV without a storyline so the victor isn't in doubt.

Putting good work rate matches on TV without a reason just for Dave stars is not good booking.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some decent stuff on Smackdown this week, and while Walter vs. Ricochet will be great (can't remember what match I've seen of theirs before.... PWG or OTT maybe) but it's a disgrace that they didn't bring back Shane O Mac to defend his World Cup title in the final.

Sheamus vs. Sami was solid as well, and I'm really keen to see what the next Bloodline development will be.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said it here before, but Ricky Starks is awesome. Great promo with MJF last night (shame it's only a one week build) and then Starks literally speared him out of his shoes.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spears is great, one of several I'd love to see him featured a bit more.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    https://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-iron...ation-revealed

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I see it but this feels a bit busy.

And iron man match seems an odd choice for them to try and jazz up given WWE doesn't even do many of them.
    So I watched NXT Deadline today which featured this.

I thought the IRON SURVIVOR matches were ok but a little flawed. Like most Iron Man matches only the final 5 minutes or so actually mattered.

There was some good wrestling though and I think the men's variation was done better. I liked them being dicks to each other in the PENALTY BOX and Grayson Waller was good value.

Outside of those two matches the Isla Dawn/Alba Fyre match was pretty shit but I did lol at the finish, New Day/Pretty Deadly was very fun and the main event seemed to just end a bit abruptly which was a real shame.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm almost certain you've made up every name in that post.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also watched the Iron Survivor men's match and while it has its moments and I liked the ending (and Axiom) I'm not sure it's actually better or more fun than just doing a Championship Scramble.

And yeah, New Day / Pretty Deadly was good too but not sure what the point of that really was.