User Tag List

Page 280 of 581 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330380 ... LastLast
Results 13,951 to 14,000 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ireland closing golf courses but allowing GAA to continue, sounds logical and not at all political.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all so ridiculous now that it might be a good winter to just end it all.

Right now, I honestly cannot envisage a time when the madness all ends.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    This is all so ridiculous now that it might be a good winter to just end it all.

Right now, I honestly cannot envisage a time when the madness all ends.
    I'm eagerly awaiting when they start classifying flu deaths as corona, or re-naming it to flurona or some shit.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making things up and then getting angry at them. You really are well on the way to the angry divorced dad stereotype.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give him another 3 years and he'll look the spitting image of Alan Brazil.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One doesn't even need to make things up where this is concerned.

Our current approach, exacerbated by each of the home nations (+ the North) ever increasing desire to gain political capital through looking the most responsible, is thoroughly unsustainable if a vaccine takes longer than a matter of months from here. Hell, it's probably unsustainable already. The level of personal debt on pause at the moment, mental ruin and other illnesses running riot, must be astronomical.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Ireland closing golf courses but allowing GAA to continue, sounds logical and not at all political.
    Isn't this not because of the sporting side of things being an issue but that people would just ram themselves into golf clubs to have a pint at the bar?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can close the bar at golf courses without closing the golf course.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it not only elite level GAA that's still going?

Given you're meant to stay at home and not travel beyond 5km, I think closing golf clubs is fine.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your starting point is 'shut everything down and make people stay at home' then pretty much anything is fine.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I would be mainly pro cancelling the GAA championships myself, you are displaying less than a clue on that one.

But we’ve already had the nazi thing early in play so you’re probably a bit stuck for something at short notice.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just going off Irish Twitter (or Irish Golf Twitter, perhaps) who are all talking about driving their kids around the country to GAA games.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing is going ahead except the first team adult championship behind closed doors as a “morale boost” to the country. Personally I think all sport should go by the wayside and testing could be better used elsewhere but it’s not exactly the same as 4 mates meeting up to hack a ball around for 4 hours.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll be all tier 3 at some point.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Marcus Rashford stuff is the same absolutely brain dead lack of political skill as they lacked around the Barnard Castle stuff. Just sign off on the fucking meals, end the story, come out looking alright and who gives a fuck about dependency ffs.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor children should be working at this point imo.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should weigh the parents first, and sniff them for any tobacco residue.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad thing is you believe that.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If children don't want to starve to death they should try being born to richer, more responsible parents. idiots.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a better idea would be some sort of regular payment to support people with children. A child benefit, if you will.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    How do you even go about testing a 7 month old?
    Just the nostrils for babies. My wife has it now too.

RIDDLED. Hoping my 5 year old steers clear and it’s only another 14 days max.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Marcus Rashford stuff is the same absolutely brain dead lack of political skill as they lacked around the Barnard Castle stuff. Just sign off on the fucking meals, end the story, come out looking alright and who gives a fuck about dependency ffs.
    I saw some MP arguing for the end of 'virtue signalling celebs' and concentrating on the real problem of 'absent parents'. So why not just eradicate free school meals completely if that's the solution?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A final solution?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch what you say Spikey. If a Deloitte consultant suggested that we'd have the trains running on time for the first time ever within the week. The only downside would be where the trains destination is.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit busy with the second half about to kick off so I'lll come to back Lewis up in the fight against the scum in 45 mins. Hold tight.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Poor children should be working at this point imo.
    I would set the over/under on pink gin fringe Tory back benchers who actually believe this at 13.5. Ministers at 1.5.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    Just the nostrils for babies. My wife has it now too.

RIDDLED. Hoping my 5 year old steers clear and it’s only another 14 days max.
    I meant how could you.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get on BBC News at 10. Some 83 yo saying we need to open the clubs

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a "how could you do something so cruel to a baby" kind of angle?

I've done a lumbar puncture on a baby.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all need hobbies I guess.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Positioning a baby for a lumbar puncture actually feels worse than doing one IMO. You basically have to fold them in half. The amount of force you have to use feels so wrong.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop saying words.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Stop saying words.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nonce.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t follow him so I mostly read it through the news reports but whoever is running this whether it’s him or his people are so, so, so good at this. Constantly ignoring the politics of it, rising above it and cutting through the noise. Never taking a side that isn’t ‘This is the most effective way to get kids fed’. The message is ‘we can feed the poor, we choose not to. Please help me find a way to feed them.’

It’s an incredibly tight campaign.

Just how do you come back at him and not look like a knob. Perfect.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, its a serious political own goal. Who advises these 'people'?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Watch what you say Spikey. If a Deloitte consultant suggested that we'd have the trains running on time for the first time ever within the week. The only downside would be where the trains destination is.
    The trains run on time when there are no passengers. Makes you think.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Yep, its a serious political own goal. Who advises these 'people'?
    I am a big Dom Cummings fan as is well known, and his strength is/has been in exposing the flagrant hypocrisy and self-serving bullshit that has propped up the London wanker class's supremacy over the last 20 years. However he (if it is him, I don't really know the inner workings of No 10) seems to try and apply this logic to everything, including things (like free school meals) which are nothing to do with the bleating London wanker class and, in fact, primarily affect many of the working class people whose flipped votes got them their majority at the election. There are political basics which they don't seem to grasp at all - Barnard Castle was a prime example, you can't break your own rules (however justified it may or may not have been) because people will think you are a tit.

You cannot - ever - do politics based on theory or ideology or how things should be. That is why morons like Jeremy Corbyn get shown up. You have to be pragmatic. Yes, in an ideal world maybe the state wouldn't need to provide free school meals and certainly not during the holidays - but it isn't an ideal world, we're in a pandemic, this has popped up with a strong media figure and therefore a large chunk of public opinion on their side, and it isn't that expensive, so as a government you have to be politically savvy enough to just pay for the meals, get it off the table and move on. Instead they've randomly given him an MBE which is about the fucking stupidest thing (not that it isn't deserved, but did they think that would shut him up or what?) and the issue isn't going away.

A large part of the problem, as always happens with the Tories especially into their second and third term, is that there are just far too few of them that have any personal experience of any kind of adversity whatsoever (this also happens with Labour governments but in a slightly different way).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I don’t follow him so I mostly read it through the news reports but whoever is running this whether it’s him or his people are so, so, so good at this. Constantly ignoring the politics of it, rising above it and cutting through the noise. Never taking a side that isn’t ‘This is the most effective way to get kids fed’. The message is ‘we can feed the poor, we choose not to. Please help me find a way to feed them.’

It’s an incredibly tight campaign.

Just how do you come back at him and not look like a knob. Perfect.
    I'm sure he's being advised to some extent, but the tweets and statements come across as being those of a nice young man who genuinely has no truck with anyone, is remarkably self-aware for a footballer, and just wants to feed kids - PR people don't normally think that way, they're all about skewing and dressing up, so I reckon it's mostly him.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s deffo tory
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a big Dom Cummings fan as is well known, and his strength is/has been in exposing the flagrant hypocrisy and self-serving bullshit that has propped up the London wanker class's supremacy over the last 20 years. However he (if it is him, I don't really know the inner workings of No 10) seems to try and apply this logic to everything, including things (like free school meals) which are nothing to do with the bleating London wanker class and, in fact, primarily affect many of the working class people whose flipped votes got them their majority at the election. There are political basics which they don't seem to grasp at all - Barnard Castle was a prime example, you can't break your own rules (however justified it may or may not have been) because people will think you are a tit.

You cannot - ever - do politics based on theory or ideology or how things should be. That is why morons like Jeremy Corbyn get shown up. You have to be pragmatic. Yes, in an ideal world maybe the state wouldn't need to provide free school meals and certainly not during the holidays - but it isn't an ideal world, we're in a pandemic, this has popped up with a strong media figure and therefore a large chunk of public opinion on their side, and it isn't that expensive, so as a government you have to be politically savvy enough to just pay for the meals, get it off the table and move on. Instead they've randomly given him an MBE which is about the fucking stupidest thing (not that it isn't deserved, but did they think that would shut him up or what?) and the issue isn't going away.

A large part of the problem, as always happens with the Tories especially into their second and third term, is that there are just far too few of them that have any personal experience of any kind of adversity whatsoever (this also happens with Labour governments but in a slightly different way).
    This is exactly right.

The Conservative MP for my constituency (Jacob Young) voted against the free school meals. Regardless of his beliefs, this is a serious error and local opinion in this area has shifted against him. If the Tories want to retain their seats in the north, they need to be much more careful with things like this. It always surprises me in situations like this that politicians are so bad at politics and are completely lacking in self awareness.
    Last edited by Dave.; 22-10-2020 at 08:16 AM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's bizarre that politicians wind up so encased in a bubble.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all do. Is there a job on earth where the people doing it don't start thinking about it in 'us and them' terms? Retail is the prime example, you probably run into one or two dickheads a week, but it's enough to make you hate every cunt that steps through those doors.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    It's bizarre that politicians wind up so encased in a bubble.
    It isn't really - regardless of background they all end up spending their lives in the HoP/Portcullis complex and surrounding establishments - they eat, drink, screw and do everything within the same mix of people, all of whom (whether MPs, spads, journos, lobbyists, hangers on) share the defining characteristic that they wanted to get into politics. This is how groupthink happens and this is why they all had such a profound psychological shock at the EU referendum, because in their world nobody would vote to leave the EU or indeed for any kind of profound change - I mean, things are good as they are, aren't they?

The problem is that their world has very limited horizons and this is what someone like Cummings with (genuine) maverick tendencies was able to see and tap into. The odd exception to the rule like Dennis Skinner or someone is a very valuable thing - I bet he could have told them that Leave was going to piss it, but why would they listen to an old dinosaur like him.

When an eloquent footballer marches in with a campaigning issue (and I keep saying this but do not underestimate how much political people do not understand sport) they don't have a clue what to do.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 22-10-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phonics was bang on with his comments on that Rashford tweet. It's outstanding.

I have utter disdain for Engish footballers in the main, and it's even got me thinking he's a complete gent.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rashford for PM

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird concept for a Torie I know, but maybe the government should consider feeding destitute children because it's just the right thing to do, rather than the right thing to do politically.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Government isn't about morality, it's about administration.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that post is about you in a nutshell.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy going full Korean.