User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 234 of 261 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244 ... LastLast
Results 11,651 to 11,700 of 13036

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shame bit was a figure of speech, but now you mention it it is a shame for us all as we have another two years of aimless governing.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt they'll manage to last that long, some other scandal will trip them up.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's fucked himself with Zahawi now as well. He should have just sacked him yesterday but now he's let PMQs pass so he'll either have to sack him later but it looks like Starmer bullied him into it, or he doesn't sack him and they add another "rules don't apply to us" scandal to the list.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll turn out he has done the same thing and that's why he hasn't sacked him. Boris Johnson will then return and win five straight elections.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this were a computer game you'd just hit quit and do not save, followed by an angry email to Fry the developers demanding a patch.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I've heard more and more of this needing to cut taxes in the press the past few days. I'm not sure that resonates with most of the country though. Personally I would probably pay more tax if I knew the money was being well spent(rather than rinsing everything through as an expense). I think a good proportion of the country would be happier if rather than a bullshit idea that doesn't really help anyone they came up with ideas as to how to spend the money they do have better.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tax cut = price rises. We are living through inflation that hasn't been seen since before Maggie started personally opening up miners heads with a truncheon. I don't understand how people's memories are so short. Or - more likely - how it's possible to be so transparent about your own self interest and maintain a career as a politician.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot on the Tory benches know they are out next time and a lot of them probably need the money badly. If I were Rishi Sunak I'd call an election, then resign, abandon them to their fates and become a national hero. But no.

Even for those who aren't personally in trouble, there's a sort of visceral need to cut taxes because it's what they're in politics to do and they sense there won't be another Tory PM to do it for a while.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it election time yet?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prioritising tax cuts goes back to half of them not really understanding what Thatcherism was, so they see it as an easy solution to all of the economic problems caused by things (planning, productivity, etc.) that would require actual governing. Much like how subsidy is seen as the other solution to everything, even subsidised demand running up against government-induced shortages.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While tax cuts are probably a bad idea (definitely in the way Truss did them), this all once again ignores the elephant in the room that none of this is going to change anything for the better while Europe is on a war footing/it relies so heavily on Russian energy.

Chuck in the absolute fisting that appears to have been made of the Brexit 'opportunities' and we're simply not addressing the actual problems.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't Thatchers success cone from completely reinventing our economy? From barely functioning industrial units to "Services"?

I'm not sure I trust any of this lot to reinvent our economy. They'd end up bringing back feudalism.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand that is the crux of it, copying Thatcher's homework forgets that privatisation has largely been a costly failure for tax payers and service users, there's barely anything left to privatise except the golden goose.

Similarly copying Reagan's homework overlooks the part where the dollar is ubiquitious as global currency and perceived as safe by almost everyone so good for hoarding assets. No-one outside of Britain thinks it's a good idea to do that with sterling now it's value has cratered, we voted for chaos and our last prime minister needed help to find her way out of a room she'd not long entered, appointing a chancellor who lolled as he crashed the markets.

They need a clunking fist Brown style gold sell off plan but the optics would be terrible and condemn them to the political wilderness for decades.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of what Thatcher did was 'obvious' insofar as the problems and solutions had been identified twenty years beforehand, which was also why it was very harsh in some cases, because it was all twenty years over-due. The remarkable thing about her was simply that she managed to do it, where every previous Prime Minister had looked at the unemployment forecasts and thrown another billion at the already failing *anything* industry.

This is what I was saying through the Liz Truss interlude. If companies can't do anything because Cambridgeshire County Council won't let them expand their laboratory space, and energy costs never go down because we won't commit to new energy projects, what good is two pence off your corporation tax?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that lab space thing a real issue?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a Financial Times thing about it over the summer, and the government also canned the potentially brilliant 'Oxford-Cambridge Arc' because they didn't want to upset local MPs. Levelling Down.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ffs.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's this again. The most famous example was Jaguar having to buy Daimler out in 1960 purely to acquire the nearby Browns Lane factory, because the government had told them that if they wanted to expand they had to move production to Scotland or somewhere stupid. Stupid government.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zahawi gone. Only, what, a week and a half of fucking about? Nice.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope for Sunak's sake his intention was to make himself look as weak as possible, because he's nailed it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seen Boris saying Putin threatened to bomb him. Kremlin have denied it obviously. Now I wouldn’t normally believe him but I have to side with Vlad on this one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're probably both lying somehow.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who would have thought trickle-down economics wouldn't work?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They still have 2 years left. It's just going to be interesting to see how bad they can make it at this point.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Who would have thought trickle-down economics wouldn't work?
    Who would've thought - when every person with any economic or business background was saying Brexit would fuck us economically - that Brexit would fuck us economically.

Truly unforeseeable.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after all the sanctions thatve been put on Russia to cripple their economy, it turns out they’re going to do better than us. Someone explain that to me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    So after all the sanctions thatve been put on Russia to cripple their economy, it turns out they’re going to do better than us. Someone explain that to me.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pork markets.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    Most of the non Western world still trades with them?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Most of the non Western world still trades with them?
    So are we, albeit indirectly. We will be buying Russian gas via a third party. Coming to a Panorama special soon.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mob are selling to Russia through back channels, as I imagine everyone in the western world is doing. It's pretty simple: the Russian organises a potemkin company in Turkey or Armenia, you sell to them, nothing to do with Russia on the paperwork, then the Russians take over from there.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe we haven't sold enough Jam and Lemon Curd to Indonesia to offset Russian steel and gas. The Blue Passport does look nice though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has one, it's virtually black and flimsy as fuck. Got my EU-adorned version until 2027.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-64573457

Didn't take him long. I'm sure this appointment will end well for the Tories.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't yet got into the electoral nerdery that I so love (far too early) but currently I reckon they're in danger of hitting double figures in terms of seats.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing is, he's probably right in that you can survive on 30k without needing food banks. The problem is that - once again - they are showing that they have a very 1900 attitude towards the plebs. If we can survive, we should stop moaning. What do we want luxuries like holidays and coffee shops for?

It's funny, the economy was all these cunts cared about a short while ago. Now that pay rises are required to sustain it....

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still love that Jack Monroe reckoned she was going to sue him and attacked him for his 30p meals despite that being her niche for years.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's thick and not from the South East. If he was in the Labour Party they would be tipping him for high office.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here he goes again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64580487

Not the most tactful fellow. What does Sunak gain from having a maniac like this in a prominent position? He's hardly got a huge following and could very likely lose his seat at the next election.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self-sabotage from within the ranks is literally the only explanation.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you just know this is why millions of people will vote Tory? Sadly your country is full of frothing fucking lunatics determined to take you back to the stone ages.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jared O'Mara plotline is worth a giggle. Let that be a lesson for promoting these rat-looking specimens to positions of power.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Don't you just know this is why millions of people will vote Tory? Sadly your country is full of frothing fucking lunatics determined to take you back to the stone ages.
    Populism is great until you massively misread the room constantly for the past two years or so. They're unravelling and it's great to see. Classical "small c" conservatives must be cringing themselves all the way to a decade of irrelevancy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here he goes again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64580487

Not the most tactful fellow. What does Sunak gain from having a maniac like this in a prominent position? He's hardly got a huge following and could very likely lose his seat at the next election.
    It's not outside the realms of possibility that he's the best they have left.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Populism is great until you massively misread the room constantly for the past two years or so. They're unravelling and it's great to see. Classical "small c" conservatives must be cringing themselves all the way to a decade of irrelevancy.
    Brexit. Populism works, especially when people are fucking miserable and have nothing to look forward to. This is when kicking those underneath you is rampant.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's clearly not working anymore though. Some clueless charlatan parroting the death penalty won't turn any tides, he's about 30 years too late for that to even be any kind of vote winner. These fucks will get punted into Opposition next year and will only return when the Brexit lunatics desert and the party can pivot back to its traditional conservatism.

Brexit invented Crash TV politics here and now people have seen what a fallacy it is, it'll die.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which years were the ones marked by 'traditional conservatism', and how were they different to now?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Which years were the ones marked by 'traditional conservatism', and how were they different to now?
    Hug a hoodie better together Cameron years.