Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought 'blacking up' included doing a voice and presenting yourself as some sort of racial stereotype. In which case that costume would be offensive, but me dressing up as Nelson Mandela because he is my favourite celebrity would not necessarily be. Then again, people get offended by haircuts these days, so why risk it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46548044

A man has been rescued after spending two days trapped in a grease vent at a vacant Chinese restaurant in California, police say.

That is grim as fuck.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12 years in prison for damage to grease.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    China's greatest export. I was going to bring up Michael Barrymore's blackface of John Barnes but I can't find the video.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm never sure why they translate the time into GMT on that sort of story.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Style guide. Same as how they always have to turn currencies into sterling.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Style guide. Same as how they always have to turn currencies into sterling.
    I get the currencies though, to give the reader a better idea of the values involved. I just can't see how it's of any benefit to know what time it was here when a particular event was going on thousands of miles away.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How else will people be able to answer the question "Where were you when the man was rescued from the grease vent"?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    California man.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ever see a lollipop lady again, I'm hitting her with the car.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I get the currencies though, to give the reader a better idea of the values involved. I just can't see how it's of any benefit to know what time it was here when a particular event was going on thousands of miles away.
    In some stories it will be relevant or at least somehow of interest to convert the time that something happened back to our time (e.g. when an earthquake struck, or someone's death was reported, or what time a sports fixture starts) so it will be in the style guide that all times from other time zones have to be reported in the same way, even if it is a story about someone falling into a bin or whatever.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06vhx0g

Getting bullied? Write them a poem. Bullies love poems.

Your face I'll punch,
    Your arse I'll kick,
    Give me your lunch,
    You ginger prick.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1216/10...common-attack/

This one is going to grow and grow here and isn't done by a long way. What the state broadcaster is neglecting to say in the article is that the 'security' mentioned in the article were a group of loyalist paramilitaries hired by the bank. The group of locals should have put them on pikes as a warning.

EDIT: That wiki edit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article that wiki thing links through to (this one) really is something else.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    The article that wiki thing links through to (this one) really is something else.
    The lad that runs that website is a nutjob, though what he's lacking in writing talent he isn't lacking in facts.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do cyclists always win SPOTY? I've never met anyone that likes cycling but the moment you do something in the Tour de France you're a shoe in.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you lot did the token 'women in pointless sport' thing too this year with those netballers. Our women's hockey team won team of the year last night in our version of the awards, fucking jokeshop.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Why do cyclists always win SPOTY? I've never met anyone that likes cycling but the moment you do something in the Tour de France you're a shoe in.
    SPOTY is all about how mobilised your voter base is, and you know what cyclists are like. It's an absolute cult. Add in some Celtic fringe nationalism and Geraint was a shoo in.

Motorbikes are similarly mental, there was an Ulster motorbiker who came second last year whom I still haven't heard of.

Lewis Hamilton should have won it easily and indeed should have won it for the last few years. He's the leading British sportsperson by far.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno. Geraint's a worthy winner (of a meaningless bauble). Maybe if Hamilton was the No.2 guy on his all-conquering team we could talk.

There's also the fact that Hamilton's probably going to be back for more, but for Thomas that was probably a once in a lifetime shot.

Cycling probably isn't any more fringe than F1 these days.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sports personality of the year is a load of bollocks anyway. Who cares who wins?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I presumed he was a rugby player.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Sports personality of the year is a load of bollocks anyway. Who cares who wins?
    It's a competition on terrestrial telly, millions do.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    She's had loads of surgery. No Polish woman looks like that.

They can have 'olive' skin (not as dark as hers) but the arse et al, nope.
    Polish people look like they've come through the randomiser on Zoombinis.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    The lad that runs that website is a nutjob, though what he's lacking in writing talent he isn't lacking in facts.
    Stuff like 'Irish patriots' and blithering on about disparaging jokes about the pope show just how significantly we fail to understand the backstop and all it's apparently insidious nuances. I know it's a daft question, but did The Enlightenment bypass Ireland?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuff like 'Irish patriots' and blithering on about disparaging jokes about the pope show just how significantly we fail to understand the backstop and all it's apparently insidious nuances. I know it's a daft question, but did The Enlightenment bypass Ireland?
    Is there really any point in having that conversation with someone who has themselves well outed as a knuckle dragging Brexit poster boy?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woof.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man, I'm not the one offering a (credible) return to violence as the outcome of a supranational political decision. I'm saying the average British Joe Public really doesn't understand the ostensible reality that paramilitary gangs are still so prevalent and powerful on the island of Ireland, which means we don't see why THE BORDER is such a massive deal. I also don't understand how that is allowed to be the case, but hey-ho.

And my interest in Brexit is mostly from the perspective of watching Rome burn, seeing as I'm entirely outwith it and didn't even vote.

Maybe the Republic of Ireland and/or the EU/Holy Roman Empire should be more honest about their actual position on the issue of the Irish border. It isn't that there shouldn't be a hard one, it's that there shouldn't be one at all. Trichet was treading that line (unwittingly the massive dolt) on Newsnight the other night.

Edit, whilst I must admit it is fun to prod you with disparaging comments about the Irish, I do try to resist calling you a bog-brained Murphy, so maybe you could return the favour.
    Last edited by niko_cee; 17-12-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem in the relations between England and its Celtic neighbours is that the neighbours in question never realise just how little England knows or cares about them. They tend to interpret this as arrogance, when in fact it is massive apathy. The same as any big to small neighbour relations the world over.

All the historical brutality/oppression by us has always stemmed from that same apathy. We don't hate you, we just neglect to remember that you exist until you shout loud enough for us to send over a crack squad with guns and that.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man, I'm not the one offering a (credible) return to violence as the outcome of a supranational political decision. I'm saying the average British Joe Public really doesn't understand the ostensible reality that paramilitary gangs are still so prevalent and powerful on the island of Ireland, which means we don't see why THE BORDER is such a massive deal. I also don't understand how that is allowed to be the case, but hey-ho.

And my interest in Brexit is mostly from the perspective of watching Rome burn, seeing as I'm entirely outwith it and didn't even vote.

Maybe the Republic of Ireland and/or the EU/Holy Roman Empire should be more honest about their actual position on the issue of the Irish border. It isn't that there shouldn't be a hard one, it's that there shouldn't be one at all. Trichet was treading that line (unwittingly the massive dolt) on Newsnight the other night.

Edit, whilst I must admit it is fun to prod you with disparaging comments about the Irish, I do try to resist calling you a bog-brained Murphy, so maybe you could return the favour.
    Firstly, the story I posted has zero to do with Brexit or backstops or anything like that. It was about a monumental fuck up by a bank in hiring a group of vigilante loyalist terrorists to come into this state to put people out of their homes. No matter how right the repossession was, your black and tans forcing people from their homes here is still a little too fresh in history to think it was going to pass off without any bother. I've already explained to you about the nutter that owns Liberial.ie from the story you found on Wikipedia, old Leo has form and has been in court so may times that he could take up residence in one of them.

On Northern Ireland, I'll let you in on a little secret about it. History dictates that we need to be seen to want it and that you need to be seen to want to keep it, but in reality if it disappeared into the sea then both states would be over the moon. It's a political basket case, devoid of any skilled work force of any numbers or industry (public service is all they can manage), and is like stepping into the 1970's in comparison to Ireland and mainland Britain. The reality is that we never want either the debt it would bring or having to completely re-write our own state in an futile attempt to appease thousands of angry orangemen. Personally, the bigger and higher the border the better, if that's what becomes of you lot wanting to get some brown people off your island (who are most likely only there because you pillaged their homelands at some stage too) then it's an added bonus.

"Holy roman empire"? Are you just a charicature of Paisley now? Might as well go full whack I suppose. Also, it's 'Ireland'.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, none of the general public give a fuck about a hard border between the North and the South. They'd be quite happy to keep the border open if it weren't for those cheeky Romanians they imagine using it as a back door.

If May could get a "RoI citizens can come and go as they please" clause agreed, the deal would probably be accepted by parliament. It'll never happen, mind.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 17-12-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    The thing is, none of the general public give a fuck about a hard border between the North and the South. They'd be quite happy to keep the border open if it weren't for those cheeky Romanians they imagine using it as a back door.

If May could get a "RoI citizens can come and go as they please" clause agreed, the deal would probably be accepted by parliament. It'll never happen, mind.
    Her government are propped up by a cult that would want us as the last people to be able to travel freely, so it wouldn't stand a chance.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You imagine that, but 'immigration' as a political issue is mainly about a) language and subservient to that, b) race. The Irish may indulge in the odd spot of bombing and other japes but they tick both those boxes so they'll be waved through like the Aussies, Kiwis and Dutchies.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the IRA who bombed your country weren't from Ireland. Very few actually were.

Though as rational as you're being, as you can be at least, on the subject, you really have no idea what absolute headcases the DUP and loyalists in general in NI are. Nobody is accaptable and we're top of the pops.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had a Common Travel Area for almost a century, and nothing in the Good Friday Agreement says we cannot have normal border checks. The European Union and its supporters have just pretended otherwise to keep us tied into their bullshit, idiots have conflated normal border procedures with British Army roadblocks, and even bigger idiots have bought into both.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're the Young Earth anti-abortionists that haven't had a sitting parliament in about 4 years. They're pretty mental alright.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as those mongs haven't been able to form a government between them for two years, could they not rip up the Good Friday Agreement at this stage anyway? Surely there's a case for voiding it when neither party can be arsed making any use of it.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, we're pretty decent at IT these days.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fine, it's only Yorkshire tea which is shite to begin with.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You dont realiase how good PG Tips are until you try other tea. Yorkshire and Typhoo are terrible.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't really pick the difference between any of the major tea brands, or most own brand efforts.

It's only when you have tea on foreign shores that you really appreciate how badly wrong a tea bag can go. I appreciate there are some exemptions to this rule.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tea is muck anyway.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dementia reversed in Australian mice. This could be pretty mega.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. I'd rather die of cancer.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46622772

Statement, a women-only festival in Sweden, has been found guilty of discrimination by Sweden's Discrimination Ombudsman (DO).

The DO said that describing an event as "male-free" breached the country's anti-discrimination laws.

The publicity issued in the run up to the event "discouraged a certain group from attending", the regulator added.

lol.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gatwick being shutdown because of this drone stuff is ridiculous. You can't get a drone near the airport here because they have a radar that emits a signal blocker so they just fall out of the sky if they get anywhere near. How has the second biggest airport in the country not got something similar?

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope whoever's responsible gets shot.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is insane, I am amazed it has been able to go on for so long.