• Turtlay

3 30.00%

Thread: Leave Harry Kane alone

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leave Harry Kane alone

Probably not worthy of a thread on it's own but it reminds me so much of the classic Sheddy/Ledley posts we'd get back in the day that I felt it's worth sharing. Probaby the funniest thing that's ever been written into an F365 Mailbox.

The Harry Kane issue has now crossed from ‘a bit of fun at his expense’ to ‘bullying’ in my opinion. I’ve said for a long time now that football journalists, like their political counterparts to an extent, are losing their grip on driving the narratives that football fans cling to or follow. What has become apparent in the last 12 months or so is that social media, in particular, Facebook and Twitter, are now driving narratives and journalists, and also institutions, are having to latch onto it to get clicks or attention.The Harry Kane thing is daft. Yes, he’s claimed a goal that many people think he didn’t touch. Whether or not he touched the ball is not really that relevant, the main furore seems to be that he has apparently done it to rob a teammate and that swearing on his daughter’s life was silly.

I don’t really have much of a problem with some virgin with 100 followers having a joke at Kane’s expense at all, and even football fans generally. The golden rule of comedy is that you ‘punch up’. There’s not really any harm in people taking the piss out of a millionaire footballer. It comes with the territory of being in the public eye, being a big name. It arguably only happens with this ferocity when you’re a big name who demands attention.

What is less funny, is the likes of the FA and the PFA, who’s wages are paid by Kane and other players, getting involved in it. Official bodies, institutions, that have power and influence, should not be engaging in such rubbish. They should report facts and news. Furthermore, SENIOR FOOTBALL WRITERS should not be engaging in it. This is punching down, and is mean spirited. The Football Association and football writers will be wanting England to do well in the summer, but the groundwork is already being laid for a scapegoat. The media have always done this, but usually they waited until the scapegoat had actually done something worthy of the treatment.

I hope someone sees sense soon. The pisstaking by fans will continue and it’s up to Kane to deal with that, as this will never change. It used to be that he is looks and sounds a bit dim, then he was a one season wonder, then he needed to do it in the Champions League – etc etc. He has always risen to the challenge and dealt with the ridicule from opposing fans and will continue to do so. But football writers like Mark Ogden, Neil Custis et al need to get their houses in order. They’re supposed to be standard bearers for quality football journalism. The PFA are supposed to protect players and defend them, not take the piss out of the people paying their wages. Harry is a good lad and probably doesn’t even need their defence, so I’d not be surprised if he withdraws his money and decides to find his own defence if anything comes up. He can afford to do so. As for the FA, everyone knows they’re a joke, but they’ve usually kept their counsel in public.

I hope he continues to make fools of people for years to come. I hope that journalists and our football institutions stop making fools out of themselves and carry on with their job.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of that isn't wrong.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor Harry. Hope he’s okay.

1 rep = 1 prayer
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't aware it had escalated beyond lolling at him for being a bit of a div.

Does get a bit tinfoil hat towards the end. Definitely the work of a Sheddy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s boring and unoriginal, but not bullying.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody virgins.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh voted wrong in the poll. I voted "Yay" to the question "leave him alone" basically.

But yeah I don't think it's bullying exactly. It just isn't worth everyones time. He's a striker, if he did score the goal he scored it. He could have been a little better at handling it but the guy is basically a little retarded, he's not exactly Obama talking to the press. I mean give him a break.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the football press thinking they're more important than they are, it certainly sounds like it.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm for treating everyone equal. Does not matter about gender, race, religion, disability, etc. Sounds like the football press wants to treat kane different, just because he has down syndrome

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably made worse for the number of times Mo Salah is called humble, hard-working, a great human being, etc.

(Which he is. )

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of corporate Twitter banter.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kane is a twat for allowing the club to make a show of him and to turn to shit because of it. He deserves any guff he's getting.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has he become shit specifically because of it? That sounds like some kind of bullshit correlation to me.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happened, he became shit. Case closed.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I'm a big fan of corporate Twitter banter.
    I love it when supermarkets retweet long messages full of big words and flowery language sent by customers "humorously" drawing attention to the fact their crisps were TOO BIG!!! or some other bollocks, followed by a twee as fuck acknowledgement of the "problem".

The messages are always prime examples of what thick people think is clever writing, because they've clearly just used an online thesaurus and there's always slightly "off" use of words, so they always scan like they've been written by a robot or put backwards and forwards through google translate or something (so a bit like my own posts).

I then see the 8 million retweets and think about moving to a survivalists commune in Idaho to prepare for the final days.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    It happened, he became shit. Case closed.
    Faultless logic.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s talented and English, of course the press make fun of him. All he needs now is to do something to ‘cost us the World Cup’ and the press are set.

Edit: needs an injury first so we can all hope and pray at the same time on the same day that he gets better in time for the first group game.
    The press love one of those.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welbeck should be starting ahead of him anyway. Works harder, probably scores more in big games.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing. His family are now trying to get people sacked for making fun of him

Harry Kane and his family are ‘furious’ over the continued jokes at the Tottenham striker’s expense.

Kane has been subjected to all of the banter after swearing on his daughter’s life that he got the final touch on a goal against Stoke earlier this month.

Tottenham and Kane successfully appealed to have the goal awarded to the striker, who is chasing Mohamed Salah in the race to win the Premier League’s Golden Boot.
    But the decision has somewhat backfired, with Kane ridiculed by even the FA’s official Twitter account.

They have since apologised for a tweet which suggested that Chris Smalling had pocketed the 24-year-old during the FA Cup semi-final, but the Daily Mirror claim that Kane and his family are ‘furious’ over the jibes.
    It is understood that PFA chairman Ben Purkiss could be ‘forced out’ of the organisation as he is refusing to apologise for a joke at Kane’s expense at the recent PFA awards.

Purkiss’s speech included the line: “Harry Kane is so prolific that he is able to score without touching the ball.”

Purkiss has been involved in an ‘escalating row’ since, but argues that there is no need to apology publicly as he has already said sorry to Kane in private.

“The facts are I personally spoke to Harry Kane. I explained I was complimenting him on his achievements, how he went on loan before being such a success at Tottenham and my comments were complimentary.

“During my speech I made reference to the fantastic achievements of our members. I spoke about the adversity footballers at all levels face. I referenced some of the nominees for the PFA Men’s award.

“I referenced Harry Kane and spoke about my admiration for his success he achieved after his loan spells away from White Hart Lane. I said that he was so good he could score without touching the ball. I know for a fact he touched the ball. He was credited with the goal by an independent panel.

“I was joking at how ridiculous the coverage was as he is such a talented footballer. I contacted Harry to explain my comments and he stated that he had not taken offence to my comments.”

The Mirror add that Kane ‘is known to be upset by the lack of respect’ shown towards him, while he and his family believe he has become a victim of ‘a form of bullying’.

Those at the PFA awards dinner were said to be ‘mortified’ by Purkiss’s joke, and how the PFA were left ’embarrassed’ by the jibe.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was boring 2 days after it happened. It’s fucking retarded now.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.thepfa.com/news/2018/4/26/pfa-statement

No they're not, phonics, you obsessed mook

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's the first footballer to have ever been derided, @Spikey M. Must be difficult.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish in had read Mokbal's post first. Read the whole shitty article that Phonics posted.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    Wish in had read Mokbal's post first.
    You obviously haven't even read his name, never mind his post.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Chris Smalling thing was funny, not least because half the joke seemed to be that Chris fucking Smalling had donned him in an FA Cup semi-final.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    He's the first footballer to have ever been derided, @Spikey M. Must be difficult.
    That’s definitely what I think.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You obviously haven't even read his name, never mind his post.
    Good one, Jon.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    That’s definitely what I think.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smallpockets confirming the seethe is very much still alive and kicking.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Smallpockets confirming the seethe is very much still alive and kicking.
    Were you meant to link the music video instead of a Pochettino interview?

We'll, obviously you were but what did he say?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I meant to link to the song. I was trying to work out the football link (thinking it was a world cup song maybe) but I think it was the original Sky Super Sunday music.

His comments aren't really that interesting:

"For me, it was embarrassing. It was a shame because the FA is English football... and a potential captain like Harry Kane in the World Cup... I think was difficult to understand, very, very difficult."
    I'll tell you what's embarrassing, Mauricio . . .

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of whimpering down the end of a season as usual, Spurs are determined to be lolled out of this one. A change is good I suppose.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A crippling victim complex seems to be working for Liverpool, maybe they're trying a new approach.