User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cash Only

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cash Only

Seems like more and more places are going cash only due to "card processing fees" or whatever. Or maybe to help them dodge tax.

Seems like it's often cafes and stuff like that where people probably aren't spending that much but are still paying by card.

It's a pain in the hole, I can't be arsed starting to carry cash again.

Have you seen it much near you?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah.

Barbers and kebab shops seem to be big fans of cash. Things like the former must be a goldmine for tax dodging seeing as there's no real input paper trail that could be held against you.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably easier to work on the assumption that any high street business run by non-white people is involved in some sort of money-laundering and/or immigration scam. How many phone cases are these Indian phone repair shops selling? Why do you never see anyone in these 'Turkish' barbers open seven days a week until nine o'clock? How do takeaways with six blokes behind the counter make enough to cover their out-goings?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's generally working class establishments - greasy spoons, barbers and the like. Would say it's more of a hangover from the past than something new. Gradually they tick over into accepting cards but some hold out.

Curry houses absolutely adore being paid cash, I can say from experience having been offered a discount without asking for one.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an issue with corporate customers of legitimate businesses paying by card as the cost of the rewards the card companies offer are just passed onto the seller so the fees become crazy, but anyone in an independent establishment asking for £12.50 in cash in this day and age is up to something dodgy, with the dodging of tax the most likely reason.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While passing the mad conspiratorial types who protest about vaccines in Sutton High Street every weekend, I noticed that they also had a placard about how card payments were the government controlling you and cash must be protected. Didn't know that was one of their bugbears.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wealthy suited gammons, of course, being well above tax-dodging.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's generally working class establishments - greasy spoons, barbers and the like. Would say it's more of a hangover from the past than something new. Gradually they tick over into accepting cards but some hold out.

Curry houses absolutely adore being paid cash, I can say from experience having been offered a discount without asking for one.
    Yeah, those sorts of places have probably always been cash only. I was talking more about a trend of places going from accepting card (back?) to cash only, really. I've seen quite a few stories about it in local news articles.

Chinese takeaways are another one.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given most high street businesses must be doing nowhere near as much business as they were pre-pandemic it makes sense that they'd be trying to cream more and more off the top to stay afloat/make a decent living.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must feel amazing to tax dodge (I mean in the wealthy suited gammon - legal - sense). Imagine waking up every day knowing that you are depriving the state of your hard-earned money and there is nothing that they can do about it. It would be like walking on air.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The wealthy suited gammons, of course, being well above tax-dodging.
    Errr everyone knows it's tax avoidance if you're rich and white, not tax evasion.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Errr everyone knows it's tax avoidance if you're rich and white, not tax evasion.
    It's literally just if you're rich. The lie that this country is most divided when it comes to ethnicity is a con trick the Devil himself would have been proud of to land. For further nonsense see "the top 5% of earners" - I mean, how in the actual fuck is that a thing that people repeat as if it's some objectively defined start point for the definition of being rich?

The single biggest division bar none is rich vs. poor and the former are laughing their arses off at what they can get away with as a result.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that my family ever paid a cent of income tax in Mexico.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was going to say, not sure the big dogs in Nigeria are paying dutifully into the exchequer owing to their noble pigmentation.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked the statistics and according to the (quite excellent) Mexican Congress, only 16.18% of people and 27.5% of companies pay their taxes.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It's literally just if you're rich. The lie that this country is most divided when it comes to ethnicity is a con trick the Devil himself would have been proud of to land. For further nonsense see "the top 5% of earners" - I mean, how in the actual fuck is that a thing that people repeat as if it's some objectively defined start point for the definition of being rich?

The single biggest division bar none is rich vs. poor and the former are laughing their arses off at what they can get away with as a result.
    Welcome to the team, comrade Yevrah.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It's probably easier to work on the assumption that any high street business run by non-white people is involved in some sort of money-laundering and/or immigration scam. How many phone cases are these Indian phone repair shops selling? Why do you never see anyone in these 'Turkish' barbers open seven days a week until nine o'clock? How do takeaways with six blokes behind the counter make enough to cover their out-goings?
    What about each UK city centre having about fifty vape shops and ten "American candy" shops? #somehowaboutbrownpeople

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    What about each UK city centre having about fifty vape shops and ten "American candy" shops? #somehowaboutbrownpeople
    The candy shops are all Afghan people trafficking / drug smuggling fronts.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Welcome to the team, comrade Yevrah.
    I mean, I still think capitalism is the best system we've come up with to date, but one has to call a spade a spade and some people are clearly taking the piss. The nonsense we get drawn into that deflect attention from the things that actually have the biggest impact on our lives is quite astonishing when you stop and think about it.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What’s similarly annoying is I went a big posh place in Liverpool for a drink a few weeks ago and the card machine didn’t accept Apple Pay.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a takeaway is accepting card payments it’s probably really shit and you should be going elsewhere

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The candy shops are all Afghan people trafficking / drug smuggling fronts.
    cf.
    https://find-and-update.company-info...american+candy

Every single one has Afghan or Pakistani-named company directors, they start up a company for each location and then dissolve again when it's time to pay business rates, hence they never actually pay them. It's a scheme run by a single set of wealthy Afghan money launderers. The stuff in the shop is mostly fake shit sold at a massive hike probably as a front for the drugs and trafficking money they are laundering.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    If a takeaway is accepting card payments it’s probably really shit and you should be going elsewhere
    Other issues aside, this is absolutely true. The cash only places are king round my way, all cuisines included.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's been a massive push away from cash here led by our betters and you'll be more likely to find a card only establishment than a cash only one. I'm happy to forego the convenience now and I use cash wherever I can.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I'm happy to forego the convenience now and I use cash wherever I can.
    Why so?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The illuminati.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why so?
    Because the government are desperate for us all to use electronic payments. I have no idea why, nor do I care, but you know it won't be for good reasons.

I never mind anyone dodging a bit of tax either if they can.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Because the government are desperate for us all to use electronic payments.
    Why do you think that is and why don't you want to?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get rid of cash, you get rid of crime. Many would find that hard.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get rid of crime by the working class.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cash is also very often used by criminal gangs and organized crime.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, I know why they want to do it I'm just curious as to Giggles line of thinking here and most intriguingly why he won't play ball. I stopped using cash in the pandemic and it'd be a genuine (first world) pain in the arse to go back to it now. He has an employer right, so he's not dodging tax.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is tax, just less obvious reasons than straight up salary. For instance apparently HMRC are now looking at people's earnings on ebay, Vinted, Patreon etc. People like Facebook Marketplace as you can use cash but if cash is phased out all these little transactions will probably fall under the scrutiny of the tax man. Sold your under the desk treadmill for £50, Boydy? Be needing VAT paid on that cheers.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't be VAT as Boydy's not a business.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well whatever, income tax etc. If you make enough from selling through a dedicated ebay account could you be considered a business? I'm sure someone is dreaming that up in Whitehall.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a lot of hysterics about that on twitter from people who don't seem to know anything about tax. Selling the odd item that you don't need any more isn't going to result in you paying tax. It's aimed at people who are actually running for profit businesses trhough those platforms.

You're not making any profit if you buy a coat for £50 and sell it a year later for £30.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Well whatever, income tax etc. If you make enough from selling through a dedicated ebay account could you be considered a business? I'm sure someone is dreaming that up in Whitehall.
    Already in place, it was about £80k revenue per annum last time I checked although you can voluntarily VAT register below that threshold.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if I am selling high value items I don't need anymore, but I'm not a business? How does that line up?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I've seen a lot of hysterics about that on twitter from people who don't seem to know anything about tax. Selling the odd item that you don't need any more isn't going to result in you paying tax. It's aimed at people who are actually running for profit businesses trhough those platforms.

You're not making any profit if you buy a coat for £50 and sell it a year later for £30.
    I'm going into actual accounting territory here (so calm yourself Jim) but my absolute favourite of all the dumb arse misunderstandings of how things work is the often repeated and (in this context) thoroughly misunderstood phrase of "you can write that off against tax though", as if the whole cost somehow magically disappears as a result when you buy something while running a business.
    Last edited by Yevrah; 03-01-2024 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if I am selling high value items I don't need anymore, but I'm not a business? How does that line up?
    I'm not a tax expert by any stretch so take this with a pinch of salt, but if you're making a profit on an 'asset' I suspect you could be in capital gains territory, but even then there's a threshold and a whole load of exclusions as to what constitutes an asset for capital gains purposes. Shotguns, for example, are not subject to capital gains tax as they have moving parts and as a result an expected finite life.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    You get rid of crime by the working class.
    White collar crime can be detected, it's just whether you manage to or not, which is a different problem. Cash allows things to go undetected and unrecorded, which is ideal for crime.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For instance apparently HMRC are now looking at people's earnings on ebay, Vinted, Patreon etc.
    Not entirely true. The rules are the same they've always been, they're just mandating these websites to file reports to HMRC now, so in theory it'll be easier to collar folk for selling goods wholesale but trying to masquerade as just selling their unwanted personal goods.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White collar crime can be detected, it's just whether you manage to or not, which is a different problem. Cash allows things to go undetected and unrecorded, which is ideal for crime.
    It should also be added that the punishments for white collar crime are incredibly punitive, presumably because you're abusing a position of trust as well as thieving.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been working her/his majesty for three years now and the big takeway is that no fucker is paying tax.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet Tax Man posted this graphic just now, and, without knowing for certain, I would have guessed it was something like that based on the logical explanation for why the government is apparently happy to wave a hundred billion quid away a year. I paid cash for a carpet remnant recently, and then paid the fitters in cash when they brought it round. Good for them. The government would only spend it on shit.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, I know why they want to do it I'm just curious as to Giggles line of thinking here and most intriguingly why he won't play ball. I stopped using cash in the pandemic and it'd be a genuine (first world) pain in the arse to go back to it now. He has an employer right, so he's not dodging tax.
    I've no means of dodging tax, but I've no problem with lads doing a bit of it.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're all very obedient though, I'm surprised. Were you all not lambasting the Tesco clubcard recently yet you'll tap your phone for everything you buy?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Companies that want my data will get it anyway, and the government aren't capable of organising a conspiracy of any kind. In fact, no government is.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not claiming a big conspiracy, I just don't see why it's a massive no no to let Tesco know your address but not a bother every state body/financial institution/insurance company/etc know everything you buy and when you buy it.