Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get neither because I’m not soft.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was diagnosed with migraines about 3 years ago but I still don't think I get them. Consultants do fuck all.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I've had plenty. I just take a couple of paracetamol and carry on, like a man. Or sometimes I don't even do that, and just carry on regardless.

They're different from headaches cos there's no reason (having a cold, being hungover, etc.) for them, so they're migraines right?
    No. There are different types of primary (as in they don't have another reason) headaches. Tension headaches are the common type.

Migraines are a different type with specific features. Classically they have an 'aura' which precedes them and includes symptoms like visual disturbances and even stroke-like hemiparesis. Only about a third of people with migraines actually get an aura though. The actual headaches are almost always unilateral, commonly focussed around the eye. They are severe, throbbing in nature and often associated with nausea and vomiting. They also cause photophobia (aversion to light) and phonophobia (aversion to sound) in a lot of sufferers. The headaches typically last between a few and 72 hours and are often debilitating, requiring the sufferer to lie in a darkened, quiet room until they pass. Sleep terminates them for a lot of people. Many sufferers also have a post-dromal phase where they have poor concentration and a sense of feeling slow and detached. It's like there's an extra layer everything has to go through to get to you compared to usual. That typically lasts 12-24 hours and is shit.

The other common(ish) type are cluster headaches. Also known as suicide headaches as sufferers have been known to kill themselves. They come in clusters as the name suggests and invidual headaches usually last about ten minutes I think (I don't know as much about them as migraines). The clusters last days to a week or two and then remit for a while. They are extremely severe, also usually unilateral and often accompanied by sympathetic symptoms like eye-watering and nasal congestion on the affected side.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 04-01-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I was diagnosed with migraines about 3 years ago but I still don't think I get them. Consultants do fuck all.
    Consultant neurologists do fuck all in my experience. You have to find someone with a special interest in headaches to get anywhere.

I've been seen at the National Migraine Centre by someone trained as a GP and by an ex-orthopedic surgeon who ran a headache and facial pain clinic who were both excellent.

If you don't think you get them anyway then I guess not much interest to you but anyway.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's because you're a man Giggs.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Consultant neurologists do fuck all in my experience. You have to find someone with a special interest in headaches to get anywhere.

I've been seen at the National Migraine Centre by someone trained as a GP and by an ex-orthopedic surgeon who ran a headache and facial pain clinic who were both excellent.

If you don't think you get them anyway then I guess not much interest to you but anyway.
    The only think I get that may be something like it is the days I have a severe headache with pressure behind the eyes and I feel like I've been beaten up/have flu all over.

But my most common one was always a pain back from my right temple that makes my eye water also. Whenever I get that I have a little hard lump right where the back of my jaw meets my neck below by ear and have found focusing pressure there eases it. I've also got weeks of relief (as I normally have that 20 or so days a month) by getting dry needling done on the area. When I'm pain free there's no hard lump. The consultant neurologist never even got out of the chair to check when I mentioned it but that ain't a migraine.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The headache and facial pain guy would LOVE to see you. That's about as up his street as it gets.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been seen at the National Migraine Centre.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Migraines are a different type with specific features. Classically they have an 'aura' which precedes them and includes symptoms like visual disturbances and even stroke-like hemiparesis. Only about a third of people with migraines actually get an aura though. The actual headaches are almost always unilateral, commonly focussed around the eye. They are severe, throbbing in nature and often associated with nausea and vomiting. They also cause photophobia (aversion to light) and phonophobia (aversion to sound) in a lot of sufferers. The headaches typically last between a few and 72 hours and are often debilitating, requiring the sufferer to lie in a darkened, quiet room until they pass. Sleep terminates them for a lot of people. Many sufferers also have a post-dromal phase where they have poor concentration and a sense of feeling slow and detached. It's like there's an extra layer everything has to go through to get to you compared to usual. That typically lasts 12-24 hours and is shit.
    In 2012 I got a bang to the head, and ever since I've gotten migraines 3/4 times a year - what you describe above is bang on my experience, apart from sensitivity to sound. I've been to hospital twice with them when they've been particularly bad. The last one was early December last year, kept me off work for two days and I wasn't right for at least a week after. That was the worst one I think I've had.

Nasty shit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    ?

I'll take a bit of 'soft lad' ribbing in good nature, but lolling at the fact I have a genuinely debilitating neurological disorder is just being a cunt.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The headache and facial pain guy would LOVE to see you. That's about as up his street as it gets.
    Also only happens when I'm sitting still (at desk, home, driving) and never when I'm actively working so it has to be a muscle spasm type thing. My old GP in the UK, when it first happened, went straight to that spot from what I was describing and did loads of work on it and I was clear for two years. I can't even get my GP or consultant now to acknowledge what I'm saying and they just prescribe me pills.

The first one that I described above is a bit of a weird one though, no idea what it is. It's like having real bad sinus and a flu but it could go in a day and happens about 4 times a month.

That said, I'd probably help both if I drank more than one glass of water a fortnight.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only think I get that may be something like it is the days I have a severe headache with pressure behind the eyes and I feel like I've been beaten up/have flu all over.

But my most common one was always a pain back from my right temple that makes my eye water also. Whenever I get that I have a little hard lump right where the back of my jaw meets my neck below by ear and have found focusing pressure there eases it. I've also got weeks of relief (as I normally have that 20 or so days a month) by getting dry needling done on the area. When I'm pain free there's no hard lump. The consultant neurologist never even got out of the chair to check when I mentioned it but that ain't a migraine.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    That's actually the one thing my GP always asks me about. She's obsessed with stress.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how touchy he is about migraines.

Start a hashtag movement and moan about it on Twitter.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ?

I'll take a bit of 'soft lad' ribbing in good nature, but lolling at the fact I have a genuinely debilitating neurological disorder is just being a cunt.
    You're being a bit soft, lad.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's actually the one thing my GP always asks me about. She's obsessed with stress.
    They all are. The first time I went on with Sciatica they attribute it to stress... somehow.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    They all are. The first time I went on with Sciatica they attribute it to stress... somehow.
    She needs to separate out stress from constant rage and utter contempt for everyone.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I love how touchy he is about migraines.

Start a hashtag movement and moan about it on Twitter.
    You would be too if you'd been through what I have. It pisses me off how they are treated as "just a headache" and sufferers get shit because people don't care to understand.

They can be awful, debilitating and they ruin people's lives. I've had periods of time (years) where I was losing literally half my life to them. It isn't funny.

Thankfully I work in a field where most people understand what I go through.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    Anyone still get hiccups? Don't think i've had em since like 1st grade
    I get them from spicy food fairly regularly.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would be too if you'd been through what I have. It pisses me off how they are treated as "just a headache" and sufferers get shit because people don't care to understand.

They can be awful, debilitating and they ruin people's lives. I've had periods of time (years) where I was losing half by life to them. It isn't funny.
    You’ve gotta start calling them something else, Frappuccino bitches are always gonna go around moaning about how last night’s prosecco is givin them the worst migraine ever and that’s how u get retards laughing about it

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    I get them from spicy food fairly regularly.
    Ok 2nd such response, v interesting, i eat spicy food all day long and douse shit in various sauces and even when the fire shits appear i never hiccup. My dad gets them from eating rice.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok 2nd such response, v interesting, i eat spicy food all day long and douse shit in various sauces and even when the fire shits appear i never hiccup. My dad gets them from eating rice.
    I use a lot of spice too and I don't feel that it's too hot but I'll suddenly get the hiccups.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it’s cuz you’re choking on a penis at the same time that you’re eating?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mrs gets them from bread.

Hiccups that is, not mythgraines.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recurrent hiccups can be a sign of cancer irritating the phrenic nerve.

Lolololol

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lolololol
    I'll take a bit of 'soft lad' ribbing in good nature, but lolling at the fact that my wife has cancer irritating the Phrenic Nerve is just being a cunt.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lolololol
    If they linger for multiple days and not for a 5 minute period after eating spicy food.

Great doctor, mate.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one doesnt really work RL because no one gives a shit if you laugh at hiccups, they’re meant to be laughed at

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it’s cuz you’re choking on a penis at the same time that you’re eating?
    If someone has the ability to chew food whilst sucking a dick, fair play to them.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @randomlegend

What kind of migraines do you get? Is there any common strand to their onset, e.g. lack of sleep, particular foods?

I'm prone to proper eltharion ones (i.e. massive light and sound sensitivity) if I don't manage my sleep properly. When my wife gets them, they're usually for a good 2-3 days.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone has the ability to chew food whilst sucking a dick, fair play to them.
    If you split the jaw in half, could it be done?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’ve gotta start calling them something else, Frappuccino bitches are always gonna go around moaning about how last night’s prosecco is givin them the worst migraine ever and that’s how u get retards laughing about it
    *retarts

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Didn't somebody suggest or do a partial list this way, once?
    https://vocaroo.com/i/s1u9vt93grDq

That is so much easier than writing (shitty list [and listening] notwithstanding).

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post

That is so much easier than writing (shitty list [and listening] notwithstanding).
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    If you split the jaw in half, could it be done?
    Can confirm.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entry on Panda is quality.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @randomlegend

What kind of migraines do you get? Is there any common strand to their onset, e.g. lack of sleep, particular foods?

I'm prone to proper eltharion ones (i.e. massive light and sound sensitivity) if I don't manage my sleep properly. When my wife gets them, they're usually for a good 2-3 days.
    Stress and sleep deprivation makes them worse to some extent, but the vast majority of the time there's no pattern or trigger.

When they come on during the day I can treat them with drugs and they go and aren't a problem. My big issue is that for at least 50% of the ones I get, I wake up with them in full flow and nothing touches them at that point. They usually take me out for one day with the headache and another with the post-drome (which I can just about function with but am not safe to work). Occasionally the headache lasts two days or more.

In terms of what they are like, I get severe throbbing pain around my right eye with a bit of nasal congestion and eye watering. The pain is bad enough that I've vomited and cried with it before, although I'm not usually sick.

In terms of treatment:

For attacks I take 900mg aspirin, an anti-sickness, a triptan and a small can of full sugar come (as advised by national migraine centre).

As prophylactics I've had: propranolol, amitriptyline (horrible drug), topiramate, sodium valproate, pizotifen and candesartan.

I've also taken vitamins like magnesium and riboflavin.

I've had botox injections into my scalp and trigger point steroid injections into my head, behind by ear, and into my neck and shoulder.

The only thing I've not had that I can think of is accupuncture and some drug that got banned.

I'd like to try erenumab but it's currently only available privately and costs £400 a month.

Been fun.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get severe throbbing pain around my right eye with a bit of nasal congestion and eye watering. The pain is bad enough that I've vomited and cried with it before

Isn't that a hangover?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post

Outstanding

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entry on Panda is quality.
    Even after all that haxball and unconditional depression support?

Edit: unless you meant the Vocaroo, in which case, still applicable.
    Last edited by Panda Bear; 04-01-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @randomlegend

That's fucking vicious.

Do you still have any CFS issues to boot?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottish background, Lewis? Call yourself a database mate? (I mean I know you've never called yourself that or said you have one but the jab doesn't work otherwise so shut it.)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he says you're Scottish, you're Scottish, yae wee bawbah.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even after all that haxball and unconditional depression support?

Edit: unless you meant the Vocaroo, in which case, still applicable.
    I still like you even if you refuse to wear shoes.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fraser Nelson has a jocko voice corrupted by everywhere else, where as you have it the other way round from ending up marooned there.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still like you even if you refuse to wear shoes.
    Look at how far along your list is now!

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just listened to Lewis' list and was pissing myself a few times.

Do a podcast, mate.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lewis called most of them perfectly. Expected more faggots thrown about.

Going for a pint would be sensational with you, Lewie bear x

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can't organise the ridiculous extended TTH meet I've got pictured in my head, I'm just gonna continue working through you all like the slag I am. Deffo gonna pop in to Dundee before fringe this year.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. There are different types of primary (as in they don't have another reason) headaches. Tension headaches are the common type.

The other common(ish) type are cluster headaches. Also known as suicide headaches as sufferers have been known to kill themselves. They come in clusters as the name suggests and invidual headaches usually last about ten minutes I think (I don't know as much about them as migraines). The clusters last days to a week or two and then remit for a while. They are extremely severe, also usually unilateral and often accompanied by sympathetic symptoms like eye-watering and nasal congestion on the affected side.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll be fully pledged step daddy by then so you can’t go leasing me astray.