User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are derbies actually good?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're the best! Because of PASSION, probably

0 0%
  • They're invariably a massive, Sky-hyped anticlimax

2 40.00%
  • I suppose a pointless team with no real local rival

0 0%
  • I prefer The Derby, because I hate horses

2 40.00%
  • Two local turtles having a scrap for bragging rights

1 20.00%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: October Football: Derbies 'n' stuff

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VVD moving like QPR era Rio Ferdinand

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brutal. Have to keep sight of the key things tho, the nazi will behead Gomez and Darwin's xG Top 4 and CL win still fine.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VVD record is finally over. Thank fuck for that.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell me he’s still doing the hands behind the back thing.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Please tell me he’s still doing the hands behind the back thing.
    He’s not made a challenge since the end of last season. I’m 100% convinced he’s scared of getting injured before the World Cup.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Klopp won't be manager at the start of next season. The parallels between this and his last season with Dortmund are striking. His style doesn't have longevity.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't he nearly get Dortmund relegated? Give him time.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. If anyone deserves time, it's Klopp.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Klopp won't be manager at the start of next season. The parallels between this and his last season with Dortmund are striking. His style doesn't have longevity.
    It’s not that, the team hasn’t been refreshed enough over the last 3 or 4 years and it’s starting to tell. The midfield needs major work and isn’t working correctly the problem with Klopp teams is that if one part isn’t 100% on it they look terrible and at the minute the midfield just isn’t functioning correctly. Then couple that with the fact that Joe Gomez is seemingly doing his best to give every team we play at the minute a one goal start and we have problems.
    Last edited by Luke Emia; 29-10-2022 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liverpool relied on their midfield out running everybody (which also covered the defence) and their front three all being exceptional. Their midfield is either old or not inclined to run itself to death, and they don't have three world class forwards anymore. It's not his style as such.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Didn't he nearly get Dortmund relegated? Give him time.
    Nearly got Dortmund relegated by finishing 7th.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And on Klopp I think if they sacked him without backing him properly and giving him the time to change the team there would be absolute uproar. If we finished outside the top four this season and were crap next season as well I’d still let him start the following season.

He’s the best manager the club have had in my lifetime and as soon as he is gone I can guarantee we will be back to where we were for the previous 20 years.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their recruitment is the problem. Well, by that I mean they've regressed to the mean in terms of hit rate and don't spend enough to get away with it. A massively high proportion of their big signings in the transition period when Klopp came in paid off big time. They are now in a position where they need to rebuild and they are spaffing 100m up the wall on dross like Nunez whilst filling their midfield squad chasm with fucking Arthur on loan.

You can get away with some duffers if you spend like Barcelona, but they don't (and seemingly won't).

I genuinely think they will fade to perennial 4th/5th for the foreseeable future.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't they have one of the oldest squads in the league now? Pretty sure I heard some commentator say that the other week.

It's shit to watch at the minute but Klopp should probably still have the job for as long as he wants. And the backing to refresh/strengthen the squad where it's needed.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Nearly got Dortmund relegated by finishing 7th.
    I was going to explain that "I was nodding to them being near the bottom of the league mid-season and that I wasn't being entirely serious", but instead I'll just cut to the chase and ask if you're OK? Because you appear to have rewound 9 months to the Switzerland Phonics that constantly didn't know what was going on.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Their recruitment is the problem. Well, by that I mean they've regressed to the mean in terms of hit rate and don't spend enough to get away with it. A massively high proportion of their big signings in the transition period when Klopp came in paid off big time. They are now in a position where they need to rebuild and they are spaffing 100m up the wall on dross like Nunez whilst filling their midfield squad chasm with fucking Arthur on loan.

You can get away with some duffers if you spend like Barcelona, but they don't (and seemingly won't).

I genuinely think they will fade to perennial 4th/5th for the foreseeable future.
    This is it. Regardless of taking the piss out of net spend look at Liverpools since he took over and it will tell you the job he has done. He hasn’t ever been allowed to splurge apart from Van Dijk, Fabinho and Allison and that was only because Barca overpaid for Coutinho.

Even in 2019/20 the back up strikers were Origi and Shaqiri and beyond that there wasn’t much. We just got lucky with injuries that season which meant they weren’t needed as much.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair to Leeds, Meslier was class tonight.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    This is it. Regardless of taking the piss out of net spend look at Liverpools since he took over and it will tell you the job he has done. He hasn’t ever been allowed to splurge apart from Van Dijk, Fabinho and Allison and that was only because Barca overpaid for Coutinho.

Even in 2019/20 the back up strikers were Origi and Shaqiri and beyond that there wasn’t much. We just got lucky with injuries that season which meant they weren’t needed as much.
    Hasn't been allowed to splurge? He just spent £100m on the Uruguayan Andy Carroll.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few factors are coming together at once here. Injuries for one, have forced some players into the team that have no right to be there. I'm looking at you Goe Jomez. What also doesn't help is when he has the game of him life against Man City, then a mere week or two later he's full on bombscare. It has also forced some players to play every single minute/game, when they really need dropping due to form or fitness(Van Dijk, Fabinho, Trent, Henderson etc).

A lot of players are hitting their bad patch at the same time too.

Add in a newly purchased forward who at best can be considered a "raw talent" right now. He's not adapting in the best way, but they've spunked £60-80m on him depending on who you believe, so he must play.
    A new system was created to get something good out of both him and Salah at the same time, but immediately Diaz and Jota are injured, so now there is no player other than Carvalho who can play from the left. This system now is quite off balance, as was seen tonight.

The owners have been somewhat frugal since they came in too. They've done fantastic work off the pitch. Half a new stadium, new training ground, massively increased sponsorships and the genius Nike deal. This is where all of the money Liverpool have earned in prizes/Europe participation and TV money has gone. It means it was done without taking out a big fuck off loan once or twice.
    However, this has left them in a firm sell to buy mode for most of their seasons here, with a couple of slight exceptions. They also seem to have this idea that they can pre-plan transfers windows in advance. For example Luis Diaz was planned to be bought in the summer window just gone, the previous summer. Spurs made a move for him and suddenly the money is there to do it in January after all.
    This is going to have to change and more risk is going to have to come into it. I believe the same idea was thought of Bellingham, but is he fuck coming to us now.

There is also evidently some burn out from being so close but so far from perfection last year. Both physical and mental.

What I will say though is it's been a long long time since I saw the ball just being hopelessly hoofed into the box at the end of a game to try and get something.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Don't they have one of the oldest squads in the league now? Pretty sure I heard some commentator say that the other week.

It's shit to watch at the minute but Klopp should probably still have the job for as long as he wants. And the backing to refresh/strengthen the squad where it's needed.
    Only Fulham (Tim Ream really helping here) and West Ham have older squads. Spurs and Newcastle are tied with Liverpool.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasn't been allowed to splurge? He just spent £100m on the Uruguayan Andy Carroll.
    But then look at who left in the summer and the incoming fees also we only bought one player in 2021 and no one in 2019. The fees roughly balance out every year on spending versus incomings without even taking into account the savings on wages this summer from Mane, Minamino and Origi going. The owners have never and will never do what United have done in the last few years and unless every transfer comes off(which they haven’t in the past couple of years) this is where you end up.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    To be fair to Leeds, Meslier was class tonight.
    He's our most valuable asset by far.

I went into that just hoping we didn't lose by more than three or four, so obviously am delighted with the outcome. Hopefully we rally from here.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gambling markets still have Liverpool as the second best team in the league (slightly ahead of Arsenal and miles behind City) and they're rarely wrong. It has been a very sudden drop off which is the sort of thing they can fail to capture so we'll see.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    The gambling markets still have Liverpool as the second best team in the league (slightly ahead of Arsenal and miles behind City) and they're rarely wrong. It has been a very sudden drop off which is the sort of thing they can fail to capture so we'll see.
    I wouldn't be so sure, the big hitters of the football analysis community in this thread seem to have lost confidence in us. Just as they did after every poor result this season

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure, the big hitters of the football analysis community in this thread seem to have lost confidence in us. Just as they did after every poor result this season
    Yeah and you're 9th.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell the bookies, lad.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7 years is pretty long in football terms.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're still creating plenty but it's telling just how poor that defence is dealing with pressure. Going back to the keeper isn't always going to work but that's Gomez's first idea. And Alisson looks like he's called for it.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Only Fulham (Tim Ream really helping here) and West Ham have older squads. Spurs and Newcastle are tied with Liverpool.
    Don't forget the best winger in SW6, Willian. Rolling back the years despite upping our average age.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liverpool also seem to be walking into superkeeper efforts quite a lot this season, added to their own profligacy and continual defensive rickets it's a bit of a heady combination. The intensity of the schedule hasn't helped, but that seems to be affecting most teams [who at the moment look like the walking dead] so I reckon there is quite a bit in struggling against teams who have had the 'full week' to prepare etc. Other than City everyone just has to get to the World Cup [also agree that maybe players are protecting themselves with this on the horizon] and see where they can go in the new year. This season was always going to be a complete mess.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do Forest not have a sponsor this year?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do Forest not have a sponsor this year?
    They don't.

The owner was holding out for £10m a season for a sponsor.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see him hold true to the Greek stereotype of financial savvy.

“If I’m not getting £10m, I’ll go without.”

Makes the kit look great though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now to just float the team out into the Adriatic and sink it for the insurance monies . . .

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This West Ham kit is honking. They look like a bottom half Spanish team.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rashford

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That defending from Kehrer is hilarious. Completely oblivious to the fact someone could be behind him

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who’s that on the panel and why won’t he take his hat off.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Louis Saha trying his best to look like his namesake involved in the Mendy trial.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roy Keane.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m working so it’s not had my full attention but this is the most boring game of all time right?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m working so it’s not had my full attention but this is the most boring game of all time right?
    Yeah, it's been so bad that it makes a salty potato seem interesting.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has the feels of the Leicester title winning season. Not very many teams looking great at all whilst Leicester keep plucking away. Replace Leicester with The Arsenal. Title winners confirmed.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newcastle rocking up to OT a few week back and time wasting from the start was worse

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man City are winning it by 12+ surely.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utd are so shit, some of you soft shites come out and make some claims about finishing ahead of us so I can lol my erection away in the coming months.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Yeah, it's been so bad that it makes a salty potato seem interesting.
    Thought this was a Roy Keane reference until I opened the other thread.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good win. United look like they're set to comfortably finish above Liverpool.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Utd are so shit, some of you soft shites come out and make some claims about finishing ahead of us so I can lol my erection away in the coming months.
    Nobody cares about you or your shit team.