Results 3,851 to 3,900 of 4242

Thread: The Travel Thread

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Interesting image description.
    I did the same thing before quickly exiting.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I told you something as up.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's hear him out.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boydy knows. Newbie award in the bag

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've booked Malta next week to use some leave up (everywhere good in Rome was booked up, as was Southern Spain). I'm pretty sorted for all the history stuff and a decent mooch, but does anyone have any specific recommendations?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I've booked Malta next week to use some leave up (everywhere good in Rome was booked up, as was Southern Spain). I'm pretty sorted for all the history stuff and a decent mooch, but does anyone have any specific recommendations?
    Mdina was nice when I visited it ages ago. St Julians is where all the main bars/restaurants are

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the trips to the other 2 islands.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    @randomlegend recommend this poor man some nice eatery.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be living off pizza and chips like you should on a holiday.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rabbit is nice.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malteasers.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Initial impressions of Malta are positive. It's like a dago Brighton, with terrible drivers and pizza instead of piss and weed smell.

I thought I had mugged the War on Terror off packing the very dregs of a 125ml toothpaste, but they still took it off me because 'How do we know it's less than a hundred mill?' Your eyes love I don't know.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The yanks are ditching those limits next year.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teesside Airport already has.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All UK airports will be fucking it off by next year too.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw Jacek Gmoch yesterday in a hotel whilst eating breakfast.

He was talking to some people on a nearby table, largely about Mbappe and Lewandowski.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Malta. Wednesday my plan was to get a bus up to the Riviera Beach, walk down as far as I could, and then bus the rest to the Blue Grotto. The first leg I gave myself about ninety minutes for, but it turned out to be more of a climb than a walk, and over three hours later I was dead on my arse in some nearby shitty village, where everything was closed except the shop and a heaving cafe full of ninety year olds eating rabbit and shouting at each other. I was sat drinking a Coke on the path when some geezer driving past slammed his breaks on, reversed, and asked me if I was going to Rabat. Yeah go on then Pedro. Rabat was nice, with the old church and the old fortress, so that worked out. I went to Valetta yesterday which was very interesting. The war museum - they are equally proud of their their Muslim killing as their Second World War service - is right up there, the cathedral is good, but the war bunker is crap - although I might have just seen too many war bunkers, which are ultimately all the same.

I noticed the other day that Maltese men are all either manlets or super fat, and it turns out that they are in fact the fattest, and, by some measures, shortest people in Europe lol (hence not being worried about the hitchhike). Equally, lots of good looking short women, presumably all seething about the state of the men.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm over on your island for the coronation/liberation weekend @offy [how do you do mentions?], any recommendations for decent places to eat? Kids are going to be in attendance. Quite like that Tico place, so that's an option. Also saw somewhere called Tipsy or something which looked alright out that way. Or some kind of Italian [or whatever really] in St Helier. Staying out of pizza express is the main aim.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mexico booked for the 17th.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I'm over on your island for the coronation/liberation weekend @offy [how do you do mentions?], any recommendations for decent places to eat? Kids are going to be in attendance. Quite like that Tico place, so that's an option. Also saw somewhere called Tipsy or something which looked alright out that way. Or some kind of Italian [or whatever really] in St Helier. Staying out of pizza express is the main aim.
    For pizza in town definitely head to Pizzeria Famosa. It's probably the only place over here that serves anything resembling proper Italian pizza. Staks (best burger on the island) might be a good option with the kids too and is out of town (bottom of the Five Mile Road).

El Tico is always a solid choice, I think Tipsy is just the Tipsy Toad trying to go upmarket. I can't vouch for how it is, but generally speaking most places are pretty good here. I'm assuming the kids are pretty young, so places like Portelet, The Royal and (I think) Devil's Hole all have play areas to keep them busy when you need a break.

For purely food-based recommendations, I'm obsessed with Casa Paco at the moment. They have a cafe in the market and a van at the harbour just down from where the explosion was. They're only open until 5 in the market and 2:30 down the harbour, but works for breakfast/lunch. Running with out-of-town options, you've got Moorings in Gorey, Cheffins at Beaumont, Roseville Bistro at Havre de Pas, Aha at Howard Davis Park would be good for the kids to piss about in the park and has great food too.

If you know you're gonna be in any particular areas at any point let me know, but that's just off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the recommendations, think we'll give Staks a go at some point.

Staying in the premier inn but have car and will be doing standard kid stuff [amazin' maze, zoo etc].

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you fancy spending shitloads, they'll probably love Jump Jersey. Definitely one for if the weather turns sour.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that at Les Ormes? Think that's on the to do list.

Stayed there pre-covid but they hadn't really built much of it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, that's the one.

The roads were ridiculously quiet today so you lucked out a bit as Saturday's can be a nightmare. There's also an embarrassing amount of pixelated Charles flags. I have no idea why they all have the same terrible picture of him.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the deal with parking in St Helier? Do you have traffic wardens who work on Sundays and bank holidays or is it open season on the paycard/resident areas for the next few days? There's street parking near where we're staying but suggests you need to pay 7 days a week.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resident parking zones on Sundays are a nightmare as everywhere else is free so traffic wardens are heavy on them. Most places will be free on Sundays and bank holidays, but there should be a sign on each street to say.

Parking is pretty shit everywhere in town but if you give me a rough location I can try and point you to the best places.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at the Premier Inn on bath street, mostly been leaving it in the jardin de mer car park thing and walking, although it took me about half an hour of doing laps to realise the Esplanade car park doesn't exist.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That side of town is rough for parking but you should be able to get in Minden Place car park, no?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, got a roof box. Open air car parks only.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, in that case I'd probably just keep parking at Jardin and embracing the steps instead of wasting time driving around.

There's a small car park at the bottom of Midvale Road, but that's probably packed most of the time, and also Snow Hill which should be fine in the evenings actually.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m thinking Costa Del Sol for the summer holiday this year. Fuengirola (Los Boliches) area seems to be the best bet but that whole area seems close enough to each other in general. Looked at Marbella but £3000+pp for 14 days can suck my bum. As can Ryanair charging £56 pp each way for adding luggage on. At that point it’s better off just booking everything through Jet2 or Tui and avoid the hassle of dealing with Ryanair.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my great achievements in life is never having flown on Ryanair. Must have done about 50+ flights in and around Europe and never used them. Long may it continue.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think I’ve used them either. Mostly always EasyJet if I’m not needing to check in proper luggage. I was browsing OnTheBeach and they just always suggest RyanAir and then I noticed the catch as to why they’re so cheap. I’d probably use them if I was going away for a few days (it’s only a flight init) but no danger going on holiday for 14 days with a female and not needing 20kg+ suitcases for the duration.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta be so careful these days. If you're absolutely set on hand luggage only (i.e. just a small rucksack), you can't really go wrong with any of the LCCs. As soon as baggage (even cabin baggage) comes in, I'm often tempted to pay the premium.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dubrovnik was brilliant, and it seems like we managed to get their four dry days of the month. Torrential rain on the way to the airport coming home, poor folk flying in would have been better off staying at Leeds.

Very expensive though, more so than I expected. Fucking Americans.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm heading to the UK in July, but would like to pop over to Italy for a week or so.

Any recommend any quiet towns/villages that are just kinda idyllic Italy good coffee, great food and nice and peaceful? Bonus points if they are 1hr drive/train from a decent sized city, such as Rome.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to a wedding in Cortona once and it seemed pretty picture postcard idyllic. Not that far to drive from Rome, close to Florence and Siena/Pisa/Lucca all nearby-ish as well.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    I'm heading to the UK in July, but would like to pop over to Italy for a week or so.

Any recommend any quiet towns/villages that are just kinda idyllic Italy good coffee, great food and nice and peaceful? Bonus points if they are 1hr drive/train from a decent sized city, such as Rome.
    Go and visit my family in Isola del Liri. We even have a waterfall.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone been to Egypt recently? Is it still a land of grabby fuckers that won't leave you alone? Thinking of going in October, but it was insufferable when I went in my teens.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post

Florence as a base then Bologna, Pisa, Siena and whatever else little towns you fancy around there. I went there a few years ago and it was an immense holiday.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Anyone been to Egypt recently? Is it still a land of grabby fuckers that won't leave you alone? Thinking of going in October, but it was insufferable when I went in my teens.
    The population of Egypt has grown by about a third since you were in your teens, so assume it's about a third grabbier.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    It has been the top answer in every single "What is the worst place you've been on holiday?" thread I've ever seen, although most of the bad experiences people describe seem focused on the pyramids.

https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comm...r_visit_egypt/

Recent thread about visiting Egypt.

Even this more positive account is pretty rough:

https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comm...t_it_wasnt_as/

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's no place for big soft whities.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Go and visit my family in Isola del Liri. We even have a waterfall.

For all heeding this advice, the Thursday market in neighbouring Sora (where my family is from) is banging.

Yes, there is about a 10% chance that Kiko and I are distantly related.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have any issues in Cairo. Sure, the sheer amount of people absolutely everywhere was an eye opener at first but I wasn't overly hassled, including at the Pyramids. I had worse aggro in Rome.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never been to Egypt and while some of those experiences do sound annoying, giving your phone to some dodgy fuck to take a picture is proper rookie territory.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clowns do it all the time down near the Trevi Fountain. If you're stupid enough, then you deserve all you get.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. I was there with the broom in 2008 and had to almost shout at her to get her to stop taking the flowers from the gypsies.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Arab always talks about Egyptians as we stereotypically talk about the Irish, i.e. they are all thick and talk funny.