Page 237 of 581 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337 ... LastLast
Results 11,801 to 11,850 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Was it your nut allergy earlier Spikey? It's bang on whoever it was.

My cousin would likely die if he ate some and couldn't get his shot, but it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to eat them.
    It was.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    If they don't bring a pack of KP's finest to seat 32B by the end of summer, there's gonna be some towers going down.
    You'd have to ride your bike pretty fast to manage that.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    In this case the feeble peanut nonce wouldn't get on the plane.
    No instead you’d go over to his house and throw a pack of salted in his face and then hide them in various crevices.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    No instead you’d go over to his house and throw a pack of salted in his face and then hide them in various crevices.
    Should have been wearing his mask.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Should have been wearing his mask.
    You’ve got how a mask works the wrong way round

The mask protects you, not me.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shindig View Post
    you'd have to ride your bike pretty fast to manage that.
    9-11 mph

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw it put neatly on Twitter the other day along the lines of testing how far you can push ninety-nine per cent of people to save the remaining one per cent. If the circumstances outlined in Operation Yevrahtossa looked like coming to pass you would basically have to release all constraints and just let people chance their own health until such time as it just fucks off.
    That was the better way of looking at it back in March, except it's more like saving the 0.3 per cent (or whatever it is). Stay inside for a few weeks? No worries, we're all - to coin a phrase - in this together. Another year of this shit? Unlucky pensioners. You had a decent run rinsing the country dry.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’ve got how a mask works the wrong way round

The mask protects you, not me.
    I don't see how Lewis wearing a mask would help his situation.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the better way of looking at it back in March, except it's more like saving the 0.3 per cent (or whatever it is). Stay inside for a few weeks? No worries, we're all - to coin a phrase - in this together. Another year of this shit? Unlucky pensioners. You had a decent run rinsing the country dry.
    There’s been some jump from clapping on the doorstep once people realised they’d be inconvenienced.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it fun that they routinely deny the elderly organ transplants because it's deemed a waste, but trash the whole economy and steal a year of everyone's life? Sign us up.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what you mean by operation Yevrahtossa Lewis, we're quite like minded on this. To be clear:

Lockdown was a necessity to avoid the NHS getting swamped and should have happened earlier to save more lives (a couple of weeks earlier, not in January) as people simply weren't taking it seriously. But continuing on a path of opening and closing the whole country, parts of it, or specific industries, indefintely, when it poses minimal risk to a huge proportion of said country is utter lunacy and we need a much better way of dealing with it.

If you're in a risk group, and I would imagine that'll be 15%+ of the country (there are nearly 9m over 70's alone) then the advice should be to stay at home as much as possible (or take the risk if you're Peter Hitchens) while the rest of us crack on while still operating on the side of caution. i.e. not being filthy bastards.

Now one may say that that's a change of opinion, but if it is, it's because the situation has changed. The disease (in its current form) simply isn't serious enough for enough of the population to bring on economic problems akin to those you'd likely see after a World War.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was when you had a work meeting and predicted imminent and total societal collapse.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was when you had a work meeting and predicted imminent and total societal collapse.
    And then the government started handing out free money to avoid that.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I'm not making fun here.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong with being cautious about a new disease we're slowly trying to grasp the long term effects of? And whilst lockdown didn't break the NHS, it certainly changed how it went about working. Appointments cancelled, treatments sidelined, etc.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lockdown was a necessity to avoid the NHS getting swamped and should have happened earlier to save more lives (a couple of weeks earlier, not in January) as people simply weren't taking it seriously. But continuing on a path of opening and closing the whole country, parts of it, or specific industries, indefintely, when it poses minimal risk to a huge proportion of said country is utter lunacy and we need a much better way of dealing with it.
    Did the deaths occur because the NHS was too stretched? I didn't think we hit that point even at the peak. If not then fuck supporting any kind of lockdown or wishing it was done sooner.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    What's wrong with being cautious about a new disease we're slowly trying to grasp the long term effects of? And whilst lockdown didn't break the NHS, it certainly changed how it went about working. Appointments cancelled, treatments sidelined, etc.
    To start with? Nothing. Forever? Everything.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the deaths occur because the NHS was too stretched? I didn't think we hit that point even at the peak. If not then fuck supporting any kind of lockdown or wishing it was done sooner.
    No they didn't, but they would have done had we just cracked on and not locked down. We'd have had upwards of 200,000, perhaps closer to 500,000.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No they didn't, but they would have done had we just cracked on and not locked down. We'd have had upwards of 200,000, perhaps closer to 500,000.
    Yeah, sure, but wanting it to have happened sooner doesn't follow.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at how the country that didn’t take it seriously across the pond is doing. Florida has more cases than the EU.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, sure, but wanting it to have happened sooner doesn't follow.
    I think an extra couple of weeks inconvenience (which would have also enabled relaxing lockdown two weeks sooner) would have been worth it to save more lives.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at how the country that didn’t take it seriously across the pond is doing. Florida has more cases than the EU.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know who that's aimed at, but I'm not and never have not advocated taking it seriously. The US approach has been a complete shambles.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the deal in US? Is their health service on verge of failing (lol) or are we just dry wanking at a high death figure even though mortality is pretty much as expected?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw someone got a 2k bill for having a test so you can imagine how that health system is going.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's nothing new though, is it?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the massive geography of the US has done it some favours in terms of sharing the load? I looked at NYC's new infections the other day and they were around 50 a day. That's impressive considering domestic travel never really stopped.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the deal in US? Is their health service on verge of failing (lol) or are we just dry wanking at a high death figure even though mortality is pretty much as expected?
    https://www.sltrib.com/news/educatio...rousel-1254658

The deal is we're the dumbest group of human beings assembled in human memory.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copy and paste the article. GPDR in effect.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should you not be able to read it seeing as it’s just unavailable in the EU?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is an article blocked under GDPR?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the article:

Provo • As she walked up to the podium to speak, one of the moms grabbed a face mask and spit her gum out into it. “It’s garbage,” she shrugged, wadding it up. “It doesn’t work anyway. Not for me and not for my kids.”

A dad who spoke after her said he, too, doesn’t think the masks are effective, and said he’s pulling his kids out of school this fall if the state doesn’t lift its mandate requiring all K-12 students to wear a face covering. Another mother carried her 4-year-old son in her arms, noting there’s no way he would keep one on in his kindergarten class — but she thinks they’re stupid anyway, regardless of age.

Parent after parent followed at the Utah County commission meeting Wednesday afternoon, objecting for more than two hours to having their kids in masks even as counts of the virus continue to climb across the state, where there are more than 30,000 confirmed cases.

They packed into the small boardroom to talk, pulling tape off the seats meant to maintain social distancing and crowding in against the walls. They wore “Trump 2020” hats and carried little American flags, and every time someone said “freedom” or “constitutional rights” the whole room cheered. Almost no one wore a mask; those who did had them pulled under their chins.

“This mandate for the children to wear masks is baloney,” said Cynthia Harding, a Provo resident. “We have the right to make our own choices.”

Gov. Gary Herbert had issued the edict last week for masks to be required in schools after he earlier ordered them to open this fall. The move was largely met with applause from teachers and parents who say they feel it will keep those inside schools safe and slow the spread of the virus. But some are now starting to protest.

[Watch: Town Hall: Reopening schools in Utah]

On Wednesday, the state saw two separate rallies around education.

It kicked off in Provo and was followed, hours later, by a second in Salt Lake City. In the state’s capital, parents and students called on the Salt Lake City School District to get kids back in the classroom instead of continuing online, even as the area — the only location in the state — remains in the “orange,” or moderate, risk phase for the virus.

“It’s not fair,” one student said. “All of the schools around us get to go back. And we don’t.”

The biggest difference is the families pushing to return in Salt Lake City are willing to send their kids back in masks to make it happen. At the larger and louder rally in the more conservative Utah County, not having to wear them was the point.

About 150 residents there began with a gathering organized by Utah County Commissioner Bill Lee about 30 minutes before the commission meeting. The Republican leader has called for a “compassionate exemption” from the mask requirement for the thousands of students in Alpine, Provo and Nebo School Districts in the county. Parents, he believes, should choose whether their children wear a covering or not.

“I don’t like government mandates,” Lee said to claps and whistles from the crowd.

When he first walked out from the Provo courthouse, he had a light blue face covering on, saying it was required of him. Those outside chanted, “Take the mask off!” And he did.

Demonstrators carried posters that read “Don’t smother the children” and “Let kids be kids. No masks!” A few younger kids sat in strollers, adding to their parents’ cheers. Most clung to the small bits of shade on the sweltering day, but the heat didn’t deter them.

[Watch: Mother Jones reporter speaks about her ‘terrifying’ experience with masks at one Utah mall]

When a few counter-protesters showed up, with one man holding a sign that argued, “Wearing a mask is an act of compassion,” the group yelled and screamed.

“It’s an act of submission,” they said. “Jesus gives us a choice,” they added. “And mandates are against freedom.”

“You guys are at the wrong rally,” they shouted.

One mom and dad brought their two kids to challenge the anti-mask crowd, and a woman shouted: “Get that mask off that poor little boy.” Carrie Hall put her arm around her son to defend him.

“If we want this pandemic to go away, then we need to embrace masks,” she said. “We feel like wearing a mask is not only to protect ourselves but others.”

Her seventh-grader added, “I’d rather wear a tiny piece of cloth than spread COVID.”

Inside, tensions rose. When the meeting started, Commissioner Tanner Ainge declared he wouldn’t support so many people in the boardroom not social distancing. He made a motion to adjourn and hear the proposal from Lee another day in a bigger space. The board’s third member, Nathan Ivie, voted in favor and Lee against. After the 2-1 decision, Ainge walked out.

“This is the exact opposite of what we need to be doing,” Ainge said, noting he’s written a letter supporting the governor’s mandate. “We should be physically distancing and wearing masks. This room is not complying with those health guidelines.”

My statement in opposition to Commissioner Lee’s call for a rally and vote against masks in Utah County schools.

I support the re-opening plans from @GovHerbert, @alpineschools @ProvoSchoolDist @NeboDistrict @UtahDepOfHealth and @UCHD

Let’s #MaskUpUtah pic.twitter.com/gmNFtHK1xp
    — Tanner Ainge (@TannerAinge) July 14, 2020

A torrent of boos followed with shouts of “Down with Tanner Ainge” and “He’s trying to silence us” and “Vote him out.” One teacher said, “Our classrooms are fuller than this.”

After he left, Lee and Ivie agreed to listen to the residents voice their thoughts. They did not have a quorum to take vote. Still, more than 30 people lined up to talk.

Some said teachers wouldn’t be able to connect as well with their students if everyone was in masks. Others said they know of kids with anxiety or asthma who wouldn’t be comfortable wearing one. A few suggested that it didn’t matter because children are less likely to get COVID-19. (They can, however, still spread the coronavirus, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.)

One mom suggested that masks cut down on a person’s oxygen. A dad said it’s no different than the flu. Others compared it to the rates of heart disease. A grandmother said the virus isn’t real anyway (though there are more than 5,600 confirmed cases in Utah County).

“We are perpetuating a lie,” said Denna Robertson, 65, of Provo, who has five grandchildren. “COVID is a hoax. It’s a lie. It’s a political stunt.”

One man attacked Dr. Angela Dunn, the state’s epidemiologist, claiming she spreads misinformation and “doesn’t actually treat patients.”

Penny Brown added that she plans to homeschool her two kids — ages 10 and 3 — if the mandate stays in place. She worries about her oldest being taught to fear the world by wearing a mask. And she thinks neither of her kids will be able to properly socialize with others if their faces are covered; the emotional impact is her biggest concern.

“It’s going to rewire their brains,” she said. “I’m especially not going to send my son back to have his mind broken.”

She called the mask requirement “strenuous and overbearing and dystopian.” She also believes schools will be harming students by using too many harsh chemicals to fight the virus. “I’m not subjugating them to that crap,” Brown said.

Kathy Thompson, a teacher at Alpine Elementary, said she doesn’t want students to have to wear masks. She suggests they provide a false sense of security. Plus, she said, schools already tell students they can’t wear them on Halloween — “Why change that now?”

Most suggested that if people are at high-risk of getting seriously ill from the coronavirus, it’s up to them to wear masks — not healthy individuals. The rest, some speakers said, shouldn’t have their rights trampled on.

“I will not lose my freedoms over a mask, and I will not lose my freedoms to a controlling government,” one man shouted. “This is tyranny!” another added. One woman said her kids were being used as “political pawns.”

When a few spoke in favor of masks, the crowd largely shouted over them, too. Bayley Goldsberry, who will start her first year of teaching in the fall at Maple Mountain High School, said face coverings would help her feel safer. Her husband is also a teacher and between them, she added, they’ll pass by hundreds of students in a day.

“Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience, if you can even call it that, and has been proven effective in reducing the spread of COVID-19,” she said.

Those in the boardroom chanted at her: “No it hasn’t!” And a few told her to get a different job.

Those rallying to the north in Salt Lake City largely supported teachers, though, and said that’s why they want their kids to return to the classroom in person — to be there and learn from educators. Most parents said they can’t take any more online school where students are missing their friends and sports and the work isn’t getting done.

“No one is learning online,” said Raina Williams, a mother of five, noting that 20% of students never logged in this spring when schools shut down. “Kids are getting lost. Nobody’s addressing that.”

Salt Lake City School District may be the only one in the state not welcoming students back in the fall with the city falling in the “orange” risk level for the virus. Under the status, schools are required to continue with remote learning. And only the governor can change that.

More than 100 demonstrators asked him to do that Wednesday, pledging to return safely. They held signs that said, “We love school” and “Don’t leave us behind.” And, unlike in Provo, everyone wore masks.

The district’s spokeswoman Yándary Chatwin responded, saying that many teachers and staff also want to return, but the district doesn’t have jurisdiction to decide — the state does.

“I don’t want parents to feel like we’re not hearing what they’re saying,” she said. “We’re trying our best to be mindful of the guidelines given to us by the state and local health departments.”

The district, too, Chatwin added “might be more restrictive, but we’ve been hit harder.”

Still, football players from the three main high schools — Highland, East and West — came dressed in their uniforms. Many talked about how their competitors 3 miles away will be able to play this fall when they might not.

Glenna Lotulelei, a mother of three, said her son’s going into his senior year and could lose out on athletic scholarships if he doesn’t play on the team. Grace Conde, a senior at Highland, added that she’s worried about academic scholarships.

“We’re competing for the same awards,” she said. “So we want to go back. But we promise to take precautions.”

Even if the district is moved down to the lower risk level of “yellow,” though, it still plans to have students there for one or two days a week. Many said that’s not enough.

The crowd called for options where students who need to stay home for health reasons can. But those who want to go to school or need school as a safe place can return full time. That is especially important, Williams said, for working parents, who are largely in communities of color in Salt Lake City.

“This is our education at stake,” added Voi Tunuufi, a student at East High.

Emily Bell McCormick and her husband both work, and they have five kids. It’s been a struggle, she said, trying to teach them on top of the demands of their jobs. Among their children, they were responding to 18 different teachers, including multiple for their oldest two in high school and middle school. And they’ve got two kids who are 5 years old.

“Families are burning out,” Bell McCormick said.

Her son, Welch McCormick, who’s going into fifth grade, added: “Online school is hard to motivate yourself to do. I just want to go back.”
    Best part is the photographs though:

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Should you not be able to read it seeing as it’s just unavailable in the EU?
    We're not out of it yet.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is an article blocked under GDPR?
    Costs money to set up an it system that separates eu from us cookies etc. and they don’t have the money for it.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well deciding to come to Huddersfield in the middle of a lockdown was a tragic choice.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taz, was it any good?

'ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES' Fury as Preston nightclub becomes first to reopen in Britain with Ł200-a-night tickets – despite Government ban

http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1229302...an-coronavirus
    Last edited by Dquincy; 02-08-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bounce by the Ounce was Preston as well. The global capital of club culture.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bite my nails and I barely get ill as a result, so the Indians and Africans must have all sorts of HERD IMMUNITY the shit conditions they live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuters
    An antibody testing study has found that a whopping 57% of people sampled in densely populated slum areas of Mumbai had coronavirus antibodies. Some 40% of the city’s 20 million or so residents live in similar settings, where toilets and water supply are often shared and social distancing is impossible. The result tests the logic of the city’s strict lockdown... Encouragingly, the study suggests an infection mortality rate of between 0.05% and 0.01% based on official death numbers – that’s low and would remain so, relative to many other estimates, even if the numerator is under-reported... But this one [study] does raise the possibility that if any community in the world has achieved something like herd immunity, it may be the residents of Mumbai’s slums.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24V09Z

'Present at several SAGE meetings was the government's newly-created Chief Racism Officer (CRO) who believed...'

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody living past sixty or being over eight stone presumably helps as well.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some blow to the narrative of dirty ethnics

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The constant stream of cunty white women who are also Australian constitutional scholars is starting to get boring.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is about to take off on the other side of the world then I think I speak for everyone in wanting to see New Zealand get absolutely clobbered by it.
    Thanks, but no thanks. Dickhead.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though you wouldn’t want to see anywhere fucked by it, she hasn’t helped by being so smarmy for the last few months.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jacinda Ardern is great! The New Zealand public need to be a bit more self aware though as they are safe by dumb luck. (Like me!!!)

NZRU need to fuck off with there small time competition even South Africa is over you. Queensland is the home of the AFL, League and Union. There are 14 professional sporting teams in QLD are there even that many professional sporting teams in all of NZ?
    Last edited by Queenslander; 03-08-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think Arden's been smarmy then I'd suggest you have a problem with Women in positions of power. She just done her (admittedly much easier than elsewhere) job well.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think Arden's been smarmy then I'd suggest you have a problem with Women in positions of power. She just done her (admittedly much easier than elsewhere) job well.
    That’s some fucking leap. Who do you think you are? Phonics?

I never said she hadn’t done her job well. Up to now she’s played a blinder.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like how Trump and BoJo don't represent the full spectrum of opinions in the US/UK, Ardern doesn't for us either. It's poor form to go about wishing death by virus on an entire nation, no matter who their leader is.

I would also suggest it is overseas press that is writing the praise articles - not so much NZ press. The NZ papers are actually hammering the government around several breaches and escapes from mandatory quarantine, including 60 years olds who are breaking windows and climbing fences to get out.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hfswjyr View Post
    Just like how Trump and BoJo don't represent the full spectrum of opinions in the US/UK, Ardern doesn't for us either. It's poor form to go about wishing death by virus on an entire nation, no matter who their leader is.

I would also suggest it is overseas press that is writing the praise articles - not so much NZ press. The NZ papers are actually hammering the government around several breaches and escapes from mandatory quarantine, including 60 years olds who are breaking windows and climbing fences to get out.
    She could rule Australia tomorrow she is that 'over' here.

Spent time in South East Queensland after the fires she is a good egg.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 03-08-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hfswjyr View Post

“Wishing death by virus on an entire nation”

The leaps are flying today. Fucking hell.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit surprised myself at how upset I am at Lewis being Lewis.