Page 107 of 173 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,350 of 8610

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I was watching that big Games Radar thing the other day and so much of it just flew right past me. There's too much on the PC to even digest. I had a look at that gigantic itch.io bundle for Racial Equality and there was maybe 3 games I had heard of or was interested in.
    I'm not fussed about new releases at the best of times, there's not even time to play them all so I might as well wait until they've been patched a few times and are actually finished.

On that note, I've just started the first Mass Effect. Question for those who've played it; Should I care about getting a mix of angry/nice points or are there more benefits to sticking to one or the other?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise you'd never played them before.

Just try and fill one up. But in true Bioware style there's often not much nuance to the Renegade stuff so especially in ME1 I don't remember many of those options being that appealing anyway. It gets a bit better on that front in later games.

Also if you're starting to find some of the side stuff a grind (and the Mako a steaming heap of shit) then do what I did on my third attempt when I finally finished the game and just ignore the "go to this random planet and do some shit" unless it's for a character quest. It's a shame because the odd one does have characters that reappear and remember your decisions later but Christ some of that stuff is grindy.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood. I'm still on the big impractical space station at the beginning so I don't think I've been let loose yet but I've already noticed that the dialogue options are often not that representative.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I would say do what you feel but the choices boil down to "Do you want to punch this person or fuck them?"

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already had a massive go at some guy over his dead wife so I think the trend is set. I'm right in thinking this is like Dragon Age and I can take the same character/choices through multiple games?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. To the point where, two games from now, bit-part characters will crop up to say, "HEY! I REMEMBER THAT THING YOU DID!"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus, reminds me how much I loved Mass Effect. The first two were brilliant.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it helpful in ME1 to go full Paragon? I know it's old but will spoiler:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be a shame but I've already assumed there will be some plot deaths.

Spoilers fine btw, they're old enough by now.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that a loyalty thing rather than Paragon / Renegade, Fox?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so. I didn't save him but I think it was just a normal dialogue tree.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to have done his mission for it to work.

Not saving Wrex.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost as if you wander into decisions by accident in these games.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excuses, excuses, MONSTER. Is Wreav a total dickhead to deal with?

I am trying to hold off on Desperados until payday so I've started Pyre from the BLM bundle and am really enjoying it. The Rites game thing could be a little slicker but other than that I like what they're showing of the setting and the characters, etc.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrex is the big fish guy right? He seems cool so far so I'll see what I can do.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrex is the Krogan. They're off-brand Klingons with tiny dinosaur arms.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a big fish guy and I won't be told different.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t tell him to his face.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to do Mass Effect is make your Shepard a Phil Mitchell lookalike Renegade.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't work. There's no dialogue option just to sigh.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early Impressions: The pistol seems to be the best weapon, it's so far the only one that hits anything at any sort of range with any degree of consistency. One vehicle section in and it can already do one, although it is the only entity in the galaxy able to jump (which wouldn't be so bad if the level designers didn't put so many insurmountable ledges in the game) so I suppose that's something. I also don't seem to be able to drop a weapon, which seems odd but ok. The PC port seems a bit poo, the UI in particular is fairly terrible and it runs like shit for such an old game.

Minor gripes for the most part though as the plot is just starting to kick off.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't mind the Mako stuff but the vehicle combat is a little clumsy. As for the gear you can't drop, I naturally hoard stuff anyway. And then reduce it all to omnigel.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ME2 is a big upgrade on 1, but the story is worth playing 1 for.

I was tempted to get ME2/3 for a replay while I dont really have internet for a few days but Microsoft can fuck off having ME3 as Ł20.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't mind the Mako stuff but the vehicle combat is a little clumsy. As for the gear you can't drop, I naturally hoard stuff anyway. And then reduce it all to omnigel.
    I've been doing that but I mean if I don't want to bother with shotguns for example I still seem to have to carry one about.

Seeing as you mention it, regarding currencies, do I care more about omni-gel or cash? Cash seems fairly useless so far and the gel can be used to open stuff when I inevitably fail the traditionally terrible hacking mini-game.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    ME2 is a big upgrade on 1, but the story is worth playing 1 for.

I was tempted to get ME2/3 for a replay while I dont really have internet for a few days but Microsoft can fuck off having ME3 as Ł20.
    Yeah, it's got a definite 'first entry' feel but I definitely want to finish it before moving onto 2.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember if I spent much time buying guns as opposed to finding them. I'd keep some money back just in case.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP Mixer.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assetto Corsa Competizione is cool. I like how it really, really tries to prime you for competitive racing. "Do some hotlaps. Here's a bunch of charts and feedback to tell you if you're being consistent. If you're consistent, you're clean." Although the countdown they give for offline races is completely unnecessary.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris Avellone apparently added to the creepy bastard list with the implication being that he tries to play the big shot at events, get women hammered and then take advantage.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assetto Corsa Competizione is cool. I like how it really, really tries to prime you for competitive racing. "Do some hotlaps. Here's a bunch of charts and feedback to tell you if you're being consistent. If you're consistent, you're clean." Although the countdown they give for offline races is completely unnecessary.
    I have yet to play it. There are just too many options. I've been seeing some good sales lately, so it is only a matter of time.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loving Jim Sterling calling out games being absolute bilge compared to movies for their storylines.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I have yet to play it. There are just too many options. I've been seeing some good sales lately, so it is only a matter of time.
    It's the first sim I've played that really, really means it when they say, "Avoid the curbs."

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that a bit dumb though, lots of them offer similar grip to the track irl.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twitch have sold Curseforge to something called Overwolf, which seems to have very unfavourable reviews.

So long as I can still easily update my WoW addons at the click of the button, I don’t mind, but I’m not hopeful.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out it's only when the tyre pressures are low and your ground clearance is lower. I've had two races around Zolder on beginner or something. Easy first win but slipped to 4th after binning it in the second race. I wondered if the AI being so slow would ruin coming through the field but they're aware and give you the space to come through. It just reminds me how thick I am with most racing games. I'll try and pass anywhere but, on this, I'm having to stick with lining up passes at places that are safe to do so.

Once I get more track knowledge, I'll start upping the AI and give online a shot. I've also sped through the pitlane once. I've now mapped my pitlane limiter to the pad and crawl in. I assume there's a setting somewhere that allows you to jump the rolling start as well. I've been held back which means there's no reason not to keep the pedal down for the perfect start.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite the actual Rites (the sport-y bit) being a bit wonky to control I'm really enjoying Pyre.

The system for letting you choose who gets to be released from exile is really interesting. You don't want to let your best players for the Rites go but what if they're most likely to help you toward a good ending, or you've discovered that their exile was especially unjust and want to send them home? For a story / 'meaningful' decisions wonk like me it's lovely stuff.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a Disco Elysium TV show in the works apparently. That really could be either a 10/10 or a 0. Would be so easy to make an absolute disaster of a show out of that.

Speaking of Discos (amazing segue), I'm guessing @Disco enjoyed Mass Effect well enough as I see he's now on ME2. Playing that for the first time.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was seamless.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two of the greatest characters in gaming are in that.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which two you thinking, Shinners? I can probably guess but I'll ask first anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    That was seamless.
    Cheers, mate.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cool Salarian doctor and the cool chainsmoking cool guy who proves smoking is cool.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't expect Illusive Man to be one of them. Mordin is awesome though.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the returning cast step up but none of them have an office overlooking an exploding sun.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m after forgetting to cancel the Xbox game pass and now got charged the full month whack (had got it for a euro), and I can’t even play the fucking thing.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I’m after forgetting to cancel the Xbox game pass and now got charged the full month whack (had got it for a euro), and I can’t even play the fucking thing.
    Seeing as you've got it here are a few games I think you might like and won't struggle with controls etc.

They're all very different so take a peek, I put a mixture of action games, old school stuff, sports/car stuff and a card game or two.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ACC's mid-session save is apparently not a mid-session save. Bang goes 40 minutes at Monza. And they've botched refuelling a bit. "Hey, let's add 16 laps. Oh, it's litres? Would've been nice to know that. Fuck."

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Didn't expect Illusive Man to be one of them. Mordin is awesome though.
    Martin Sheen can fuck off, I'm playing to the end of this game on the off-chance I get to punch his smug face off. As in the first game, Garrus + fish bloke is the only combo you need (maybe snake-man, he's ok).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garrus is ace and your re-introduction to him in ME2 is brilliant. Mordin's still the best though.

Finished Pyre and really loved it despite the Rites needing a bit more of a rethink. Luckily you can level some of your characters in such a way that they become largely trivial. There was a decision near the end that I genuinely took the best part of five minutes making.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've err... got another Visual Novel to review. This one's about a dog. Please don't fuck the dog.