User Tag List

View Poll Results: How much did you miss football?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loads

3 16.67%
  • Loads due to lockdown boredom

3 16.67%
  • Loads (I'm lying, I just missed the betting.)

0 0%
  • A bit

8 44.44%
  • Not at all

3 16.67%
  • Socially-distanced turtle

1 5.56%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: June: Boring, modern-day football to resume

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The FA have always had a rank pro-Wycombe bias and now it shows.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not wrong. It's ridiculous how big clubs like Wycombe always benefit at little Sunderland's expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Why would they jump up fo places?
    Points per game. It's ridiculously tight at the top and they're currently 9th but have a game or two in hand.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the fair way of doing it then? It's not anyone's fault they have games in hand.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As kids as all picked second lower league teams. I picked Wycombe, so I’d they somehow win the playoffs I’ll have to squeeze into one of my childhood shirts!
    Up The Chairboys!!!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What's the fair way of doing it then? It's not anyone's fault they have games in hand.
    Par league weighting.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Play the games in hand, then do the league maths.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Par league weighting.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Play the games in hand, then do the league maths.
    Then the teams that miss out will complain that they have already played all their hard games whilst Wycomb - the bastards - had all theirs left to play.

There is no way to make it fair.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Finish the season? Other than that there isn't a 'fair' way.

There are probably more fairer ways, though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Par league weighting.
    There's a points per game weighted scenario, though I'm not sure it's much (if any) fairer. That would actually see Peterborough make the playoffs and Portsmouth miss out.

There's Shindig's option of playing the games in hand, or you could even take off the extra games teams have played so that everyone has played the same amount.

There's a number of options. Simple points per game doesn't take into account who teams have played and who they have left. There's even the issue with Bolton and how for the first couple of months teams were playing against their youth side.

It's a mess.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you apply the same rules to everyone then it is fair. Anyone whinging can fuck off, these are not normal times.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck Wycombe, unlimited FF transfers is not fair for us patient souls. We better keep our chip advantage at least.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will keep the chips, they're loads less effective than they would have been though. Apart from this first week there arent any double gameweeks.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just jizz them all up the wall in the hope the 2nd wave lockdown calls an early end to the season

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man City after Chillwell too. Whoever doesn’t sign him fans will be delighted

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one suggestion for League One that would have fucked us completely was put forward by Ipswich, to take the table at the point where everyone had played half their games and use that. This still ignores that not every team has played each other once by the halfway point but does neatly fall before the point Ipswich shat themselves and started freefalling into mid-table.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    If you apply the same rules to everyone then it is fair. Anyone whinging can fuck off, these are not normal times.
    What same rules? There are different rules being applied in each league.

'These are not normal times' doesn't meant that all logic suddenly goes out of the window.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    The one suggestion for League One that would have fucked us completely was put forward by Ipswich, to take the table at the point where everyone had played half their games and use that. This still ignores that not every team has played each other once by the halfway point but does neatly fall before the point Ipswich shat themselves and started freefalling into mid-table.
    That's a new one for me. Another proposal was that Coventry should be automatically promoted, and the teams in 2nd-9th (ie those separated by just a few points) play in two separate playoff events, so two teams go up through the playoffs.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that was the most likely to be approved mostly because it went some way to appeasing the teams that put out the statement to crack on, surprised the EFL stood firm but then they have been entertaining suggestions to be presented tomorrow so who knows? I just find it hard to believe that we're in an almost unassailable position considering we started the season unable to beat a Bolton team with an average age of 14.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't be null and void, so I can't see any situation whereby Coventry aren't promoted. Rotherham have got lucky, and the four in the playoffs will probably have mixed feelings. Fleetwood were flying and looked strong contenders for finishing 2nd, and Oxford had seemed to hit form again at the right time. Supposedly both of those had voted to try and finish the season.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's our boy O'Hare doing?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sheer chutzpah of suggesting that in public should see football outlawed in the town.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The sheer chutzpah of suggesting that in public should see football outlawed in the town.
    Ipswich have form for this. I'm sure I remember my Dad said it was them that got the away goals rule scrapped for either the play-offs or league cup after West Brom knocked them out via that rule. Their chairman was quite high up in the FA iirc.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of pieces on the League One issue:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52836189

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cov...y-18309087.amp

The Coventry article above breaks down who is likely to vote for what. Assuming the three 'undecided' clubs vote for what's in their best interests, that will likely leave the vote at 12-11 in favour of ending the season. If EFL needed clarification that letting the clubs decide on what to do was a stupid idea, then there it is.

The BBC article outlines some of the possible scenarios that clubs have mooted. People wouldn't have nearly as much of an issue if the EFL actually just used a bit of common sense. Instead, they seem to be doing everything they can to fuck the situation up.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's some great quotes in that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottish Slaves

What a cunt.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greasy bastard.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The meeting is underway
    The meeting and subsequent will take place over a virtual platform, and will begin at 10:30am.
    EFL chair Rick Parry is set to lead the conversation, with representatives from each EFL club offered the chance to attend. For Sunderland, that is likely to be chief executive Jim Rodwell.
    However, a number of clubs are not expected to join the meeting and will instead vote via proxy.

What are clubs voting on?
    There could be as many as three rounds of voting taking place on Tuesday, with EFL clubs set to vote on a string of proposals and amendments.
    Here’s each round explained in detail:

Vote 1

The first vote will see clubs decide the framework upon which seasons will be decided if they are curtailed.
    Here, clubs will vote on the EFL’s own proposal which would see standings, plus promotion and relegation, decided on an unweighted points-per-game basis. The play-offs in each division will take place as usual and should not be extended.

Vote 2...

Once the proposal mentioned above is passed, as is widely expected, clubs can then vote on a number of potential amendments to the chosen framework. These are:
    - The Barnsley Proposal – No club should be relegated in a division that fails to fulfill its fixtures.
    - The Tranmere Proposal – Tables will be decided on unweighted points-per-game but with a ‘margin for error’ formula applied. Clubs will then be given a ‘Final Points Range’ which would determine whether they are promoted, relegated or take part in an extended play-off competition.
    - The Lincoln City amendment – Any points deductions awarded to clubs will be deducted after the points-per-game calculation is made, rather than applied as part of the calculation.
    - The Stevenage amendment – No club should be relegated from League Two if clubs opt to curtail the fourth tier season.
    - The Ipswich amendment – Should the League One season be ended, clubs should be able to vote on alternative play-off options.

Vote 3...
    After a framework is established for finishing the season, individual leagues can hold a vote to determine whether their seasons are curtailed or continued.
    In League One, it is widely expected that the season will be finished.
    This vote may take place on Tuesday, but could take place later in the week if clubs wish to take stock of the finalised framework before casting their vote.
    League Two, of course, have already voted to curtail their season while the Championship are preparing for a June 20 restart.

Exciting times.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original PPG and 4-team playoff EFL plan has been agreed to now, bizarrely quickly considering how long these all tend to drag on.

Looks as though L2 have breezed through theirs quickly too with only Forest Green wanting to play on, hopefully L1 actually gets a decision made today

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - The Barnsley Proposal – No club should be relegated in a division that fails to fulfill its fixtures.
    - The Tranmere Proposal – Tables will be decided on unweighted points-per-game but with a ‘margin for error’ formula applied. Clubs will then be given a ‘Final Points Range’ which would determine whether they are promoted, relegated or take part in an extended play-off competition.
    - The Lincoln City amendment – Any points deductions awarded to clubs will be deducted after the points-per-game calculation is made, rather than applied as part of the calculation.
    - The Stevenage amendment – No club should be relegated from League Two if clubs opt to curtail the fourth tier season.
    - The Ipswich amendment – Should the League One season be ended, clubs should be able to vote on alternative play-off options.
    Am I to guess (though a couple are obviously so) that all of these amendments are proposed from a position of complete self-interest?

The Tranmere one appears to be particularly absurd. 'We're relegated, but not by as much as Southend are, so...'

And I'm going to take a wild guess that Lincoln have dropped points to Bolton.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 09-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    League Two Champions

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is saying L1 is done but I'm waiting on an official announcement before unzipping.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed the FPL update yesterday.

Unlimited transfers before the restart.

Dry your eyes Taz.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is saying L1 is done but I'm waiting on an official announcement before unzipping.
    Time to unzip.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would they be allowed into the top flight without their own ground? I know Wimbledon did it back in the day but the rules may have changed since then.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we're waiting to smoke Wasps out, while pretending to be looking at sites to build a new stadium out of bamboo sticks and fairy dust.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone fucking code me up for the TTH league before I PM Niko with a duel league code.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're hesitant to throw Niko that duel league code. Afraid much?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third season in League One, and our lowest ever finish (again).

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far down are they going before it doesn’t matter? Is the Championship being played?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Championship is being played, League One and Two ended.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Someone fucking code me up for the TTH league before I PM Niko with a duel league code.
    League admin only. It’s either @Andy or @-james-
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Andy renewed the league (whatever that means) from 2 seasons ago (join code then was 30846-41537).

I'm already thinking loading up on City players is a risk as they'll probably sack everything off in favour of the cup or some such madness.

Hopefully all this racial tension has fired up Sterling.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Saarbucken stadium is glorious.

Those nets

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ho Chi Minh City v Saigon FC this friday night

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
    This Saarbucken stadium is glorious.

Those nets
    Did you go to the game?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodison confirmed for the derby. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's empty does it matter where it's played?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why even bother with stadiums, you could do it anywhere.