User Tag List

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2020

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    That's the one. I've taken it on. (Y) Cheers.

Will they work for FM Touch? If so then I'll have 'em. I can't figure out how to fix the logo's on FMT either.
    Doubt it mate

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Doubt it mate
    This is one of the reasons I want to fix my pc, so I can go properly balls deep on skins, logos, facepacks and running a massive amount of leagues at once for a filth journeyman save.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still going strong with Scotland. I'll wash over the fluff that is the nations league and dive into our next qualifying campaign, Qatar 2022. Our opponents; Kosovo, Greece, Hungary & our old friends Belgium. After losing the opener 2-0 in Brussels, we picked up successive victories v Kosovo & Greece, the latter bearing witness to a debut goal from golden boy Billy Gilmour. The Hungarians held us to a stalemate both home and away leaving our qualification chances slim, that was until we conquered our new rivals narrowly beating the Belgians 1-0. Without doubt the greatest win of my tenure to date, a win which would guarantee a World Cup appearance provided we could gain 4 points from our two remaining games. We couldn't. Scott Bain threw an injury time winner into his own net in Athens and the misery was compounded as we drew 1-1 with Kosovo, Tom Cairney failing to score from the spot. A miserable 14 points saw us place seventh in the runners up league. Back to the drawing board.

New faces; Fraser Hornby, Dapo Mebude, Billy Gilmour, Allan Campbell, Anthony Ralston. Unless a world beater comes through on the wings, I'm sticking to my 5-3-2 shape. It suits our limitations and allows us to stay deep and compact.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1860 Munchen - Season 2019/2020

Twenty years ago, 1860 Munchen were playing Leeds United in the Champions League.

Toggle Spoiler

Quite a fall from grace.

1860 Munchen - Season 2019/2020

The media predicted a 7th place finish and before the season kicked off I had no idea if that was optimistic or not as a small look into 1860's recent history suggested things had been far from easy.

Pre-Season

"It's not much but it's honest work."

Season Summary

Our campaign off got to a great start as loanee Osei Owusu scored three in a 4-0 win on the opening game of the season and it set the tone for what was to come as we remained unbeaten entering December. Kaiserslautern had only just lost.

Final round of results for 2019/2020.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about the squad as quite a few are due to be released from all squads so we can focus on quality rather than quantity since this is a YDWAWK save. Before the 2020/21 season starts I'll show the previous seasons newgens and a rundown of who's who.

(Manc, I tried Turkey but the names were too much)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    attempting to do a YDWAWK save...
    Just started one of these with Billericay.

We have no youth team. Well, 4 players.

Your move, Tim.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1860 is a strong choice. They've produced some filthy midfielders over the years.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give you four 'Ones to Watch' that just come through but that's all I got at this early stage.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A far reaching network. No Germans of any worth?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some tough old paper rounds there.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    A far reaching network. No Germans of any worth?
    I give you, The Germans and The Turk thus concluding with those above the intake of 2020.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Immense 'tache on Luginger there for a 15-year-old

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In real football news, these are the new V.League dates. Cup game end of this month, league proper starts on 5th June (with crowds expected to be allowed, not yet confirmed)

Edit: Posted this in the wrong fucking thread, haven't I.
    Last edited by John Arne; 17-05-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleb View Post
    Naturally shagged the East Asian Cup because my main focus is primary not fucking up the World Cup qualifiers and having a go at the ANC.
    A spot in the 2023 Nations Cup is secured by finishing top of a second round group in the World Cup qualifiers and not losing a single game up to that point. Finished third in the East Asian Cup somehow by not getting our bums fucked by South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong (though I was fucking SEETHING that we didn't beat them). Final Stage started and for us to get any chance of going to Qatar we need to finish 3rd for a playoff spot because somehow we lost our first three games to Uzbekistan, South Korea (twice naturally) and Iran

I dunno if using "Suggested Squads" for choosing the main squad list is the way to go but I seem to be using players with most stats averaging around 10 and/or under
    Last edited by Pleb; 18-05-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1860 Munchen - Season 2020/2021

Season Summary

Just one win in our opening five league games suggested a season of struggle lay in wait and any hope of being distracted by a cup run were ended early doors as FC Augsburg knocked us out of the DFP-Pokal on penalties at the first hurdle.

As September got off underway though it was the solo strike of Niklas Lang that got our season back on track with a 1-0 with away at FC Heidenheim as we took 12 points from 12 to ease early concerns. Only two more defeats followed for 2020 which left us sitting comfortably in 4th place and an outside bet for a second successive promotion......but some cunts didn't get the message. WTF happened?

Toggle Spoiler

Class of 2020.

Toggle Spoiler

I can't help but rattle through the seasons on Touch so I am ahead of this post by maybe three seasons so more updates to come before I give a run down of who's who etc.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nine games without a win must have been painful.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1860 Munchen - Season 2021/2022

Season Summary

I think if our squad had a bit more balance to it then we might have secured promotion this season but we kept dropping needless points throughout and just as it looked as though we would push on or take advantage of those above us slipping up. We never did though.

Noel Niemann topped the goal scoring charts both for the club and for the division but I do wonder where we would have been without him and although his strike partner Stefan Lex again grabbed double figures, he's the wrong side of his 30's to be considered a long term option.

Toggle Spoiler

Toggle Spoiler

Class of 2021.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The absolute state of Doda.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit bored of my journeyman save at the moment, despite having got Brentford into the Prem. Think my struggles to sign a left back for three windows havent helped. May start a new save.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1860 Munchen - Season 2022/2023

Season Summary

After two seasons in the 2.Bundesliga it was time to bid farewell. Our steady rise throughout the campaign was clear throughout and the first team opportunities given to a number of youngsters allowed the supporters to see first hand that the clubs change in policy could yield results. Next season will be our first in the Bundesliga for the first time since twenty years and the future looks bright once more.

Toggle Spoiler

Class of 2022.

Toggle Spoiler

One's To Watch

KLODIAN DODA
    Toggle Spoiler

We knew when he first joined the club that we had something special and the bids we rejected on a regular basis suggests as much given the standard of clubs making the offers.

NUNI DERVISEVIC
    Toggle Spoiler

Klodian's PIC on occasions although I didn't risk them both all too often as I opted for the experience of Felix Weber and Aaron Berzel but both are nearing the end as far as their time at the club goes. I have less faith that he'll kick on but potentially he's a Bundesliga CB so we'll see.

HARALD LUGINGER
    Toggle Spoiler

If points were won by what you could do with a ball then despite his early age Harald Luginger would probably win enough on his own but matches aren't a freestyle audition and so he needs to learn when and where to take chances.

NIKO JURIC
    Toggle Spoiler

With the 33 year old Stefan Lex likely to leave in the summer it was important to give Juric as much playing time as possible and although he never lit up the world in terms of goals, he shown enough to suggest that he'll link up great with Niemann next season.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one more season to update and then we are all upto date but since I just completed that one I am going to do a monster post so I can follow the same layout/structure going forward.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TSV 1860 Munchen - Season 2023/2024

Relegation in 2003/04 was a catastrophe for 1860 Munchen but few would have expected it to take twenty years before the Die Lowen returned.

The Results

We survived by the skin of our teeth in what was nothing more than a solid slog for survival and in another season we might very well have gone down had Dynamo Dresden not had Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen and Mainz in their final three games. Our point against runners up RB Leipzig on the final day of the season ensured we had one final shot but prior to that we looked dead and buried. I had expected Hertha Berlin to put the final nail in the coffin but a certain someone had other ideas....

The Great Escape?

MotY with a 25% win ratio. I'll take it.

The Casualties.

We might end up missing Hendrik Bonmann and the experience of a few others but the call has already been made that the following will leave the club before the summer gets underway as we look to go all in with our youngsters.

The Future.

Our current 15,000 stadium is clearly not enough but an increase of just 7,500 is disappointing.

I hope Lewandowski might be OK.

The Class of 2023.

Toggle Spoiler

Ones To Watch

KLODIAN DODA
    Toggle Spoiler

After breaking into the first team full time last season the youngest player to both play and score in 2.Bundesliga last season made the step up without much hassle and gained confidence after being selected for the Germany U21's who reached the European Championship final whilst claiming the U17 Players of the Year award.

HARALD LUGINGER
    Toggle Spoiler

Although he was a regular in the squad it was largely down to our lack of options as opposed to me being overly comfortable with him. He's not ready for this level of football and unless he becomes more consistent then I doubt he will be in the future either.

GERHARD SAUER
    Toggle Spoiler

After hearing about the good things he had been doing in the Munchen II squad we felt obliged to give Gerhard a chance and he did himself no harm with a solid campaign. He should act as a reminder not to forget about those who get drafted to the II squad.

NIKO JURIC
    Toggle Spoiler

I have to admit I was expecting a little bit more from Juric but the jump in quality compared to 2.Bundesliga is rather telling. Fortunately he has time on his side but perhaps a few adjustments to his role in the side might be needed.

NUNI DERVISEVIC
    Toggle Spoiler

I sympathise with Nuni since he's always going to look inferior to the clubs diamond in the rough Doda but he handled himself well enough given his inexperience. I hope this season was a good learning curve for him though as next season should be harder as our average age gets much younger.

ADRIAN BOCK
    Toggle Spoiler

I'm not too hopeful and he's playing way above his level in the few games he managed as at best he's a 3.Liga winger at this moment in time. He's ambitious which is nice but you do need talent as well.

(Sorry for the long posts but we're now up to date and I'll update as I go along.)

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they can fuck right off.

Toggle Spoiler

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1860 Munchen - Season 2024/25

Season Summary

With Stefan Lex retiring and the likes of Philippe Steinhart, Felix Weber and Quirin Moll all being released we knew that our experience was even more limited than last season as the 2024/25 campaign was the first in which we pretty much went all in with the youngsters.

During the course of the season it was clear that a couple have been promoted too soon but I figured hands on experience is better than no experience and let's face it, the release of so many first teamers from last season meant I never really had a choice if they struggled or not. As it is, I was quite happy with our finish especially as we were 1/3 to be relegated and truth be told, I don't think we were once in a battle.

The Squad.

Goalkeepers

Aykut Ozcan is our first choice even though he's currently operating at 3. Liga level according to his report. He can and will be a Bundesliga goalkeeper in future. Or now, given he's our number #1. Soren Montag hasn't really had a chance other than reserve action.

Defenders

Klodian Doda now needs no introduction as simply put he's the clubs crown jewel although we need to improve over the next three years if he is to remain as the stubborn fuck won't renew his deal and the hefty minimum release clause still looms.

Nuni Dervisevic performed amicably throughout as his attributes are quite weak IMO whilst the same could probably be said for Stefan Birk who filled in at full back mostly. Niklas Lang, the clubs 4th choice CB was already at the club at the start of the game and his moment has long gone. Malte Itter is clearly rated by Germany as numerous clubs sniffed around but the season came way too soon for him but he got his minutes. Leon Klassen who's probably our second best defender continued to be solid if not spectacular.

Midfielders

We relied a lot on Dennis Dressel and Efkan Bekiroglu in the middle of the park and to be honest we might have fared a little worse without them. Gerhard Sauer improved whilst Sander Smeets started the season well before fading in the second half. The surprise(s) however was Harald Luginger scoring 8 as he was shifted here, there and everywhere as well as wing back. Adrian Bock covered the left wing as we changed formation, a position our main strike Noel Niemann eventually took over but 4 goals in 7(5) was a promising return. Johann Ngounou Djayo will most likely be leaving in the summer as he's far too injury prone and I hope to get Konstantin Blatter a few more minutes.

Forwards

Noel Niemann had been our main striker from the start but it was felt he was stopping Niko Juric from scoring more so Noel shifted to the left wing and Niko was asked to be the goal getter. Just four in the league suggests we have more work to do. Klaus Balke only got four starts himself but he's still doing well in the reserves with ten goals and 15 assists. I'm hoping him and Juric can link up soon.

Other:

Admir Hodzic started 9 league games before a decision to loan him out was made in January and he joined Turkish side Trabzonspor in what proved to be a positive move.

Others loaned out included Mario Birnbacher, Robert Buchtmann and Frederic Horn as all three needed minutes according to one of the coaches.

The Class of 2024

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good write-ups, Smiffy. Enjoying this

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Good write-ups, Smiffy. Enjoying this
    Echo this. YDWAWK saves always make for top reads. John's effort with Dinamo Zagreb springs to mind.

Marching on with Scotland and we went from one failed qualifying campaign to another in quite spectacular style. The draw was kind, Italy were the top seeds followed by Bulgaria, N Ireland, Liechtenstein & San Marino. A second place finish was achievable, it was a must. It was a disaster, one that featured perhaps the darkest day in Scottish football history as the 12th June '23 saw us lose 2-1 in San Marino. My mutual consent speech was at the ready, but the vultures never came, neither from the FA nor the national media. Only managing to secure two points on the road, we finished a lowly third in behind the dominant Italians and plucky Bulgarians. All hope was not lost however, as yet again we qualified for one of the final four spots, this time Denmark standing in our way. The game was scrappy and tensions boiled over when with 15 minutes to spare Ryan Jack threw an elbow, straight red. Extra time was upon us, but not before Andy Robertson missed an open goal, albeit from 40 yards. The Danes struggled to take advantage of the extra body as we dug in with penalties a mere moments away. 121 minutes on the clock and a whipped cross bounced off Robertson and into the back of the net. Another tournament missed.

Rightly or wrongly the FA stuck by their man and we head into North America 2026 with renewed optimism having drawn Turkey, Switzerland, Hungary & Luxembourg.

The runners and riders:

Goalkeeper - After McGregor and Gordon became ancient, the path was cleared for Celtic's Scott Bain to become our No1. After his clanger in Athens I was forced to drop him, but he has improved with time and is now a steady hand. He is however 33 which means the gloves may change once again. Archie Mair is yet to make waves, so the job may fall to MacGillivray, Archer or Celtic academy graduate, Kerr Sandison.

Defence - Robertson(c) will continue to occupy the left flank with Anthony Ralston on the right. It's in the centre of defence were places are up for grabs. Previous years have seen a Bates-Hanley-Cooper partnership. With the latter two now 33+, the likes of Ryan Porteous (Hibs), JD Linden (Hearts), Scott McKenna (Celtic), George Johnston (Feyenoord), Liam Lindsay (Rangers) may cement a place in the eleven.

Midfield - McGinn, McGregor & Jack will more than likely join the over the hill club in the coming season. Current inhabitants include John Fleck, Kenny McLean, Stuart Armstrong & Tom Cairney. Behind these wise old heads perhaps lies our most promise as a footballing nation; Billy Gilmour, Allan Campbell, Ryan Anderson, Harry Cochrane, Connor Barron, Marc Leonard and our greatest hope, Jonathan Bradley. Bradley, a product of Dundee Utd was snapped up by Spurs for £11.75m after lighting up the SPL as a teenager and has shone in his 11 caps for the national side.

Attack - For the last few years it has remained one of McBurnie, Hornby & Mebude. With only 14 goals in 97 caps combined, I'm desperate for alternatives. Hearts prospect Brodie Service may be the one to watch.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers chaps. I'm really enjoying it too although I wish FM was the reason for such late nights.

I really wish I had the full version now but I do love flying through the seasons and 'telling the story' as I hammer space bar. If we survive this season then I've got a mega mega post coming as next season we move into our new stadium.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually as a thought, anyone care to direct me in the way of sorting out my backroom staff? I lost my assistant manager a couple of months ago and I had just left him to put together the boot room. He got poached but our current AssMan is Lars Bender.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please be a good LB

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Scottish
    Where's McTominay in all this?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He doesn't fit into the system. Forrest another casualty of my stubbornness.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly didn't think it was possible to lose to San Marino, unless Indoctrin is somehow back at the helm and Cristiano Ronaldo fathered sextuplets during a day trip to Serravalle.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TSV 1860 München - Season 2025/2026

Season Summary

Our third season in the Bundesliga and the third season in which we were tipped to go down. If the media were to be believed then it was going to be a threesome between ourselves, FC Heidenheim and FC Augsburg for the drop.

We would actually entertain FC Augsburg at home on the opening game of the season, our final season at Grünwalder Stadion and entertain we did with a 3-0 win thanks to a hat-trick by Niko Juric who matched his tally from the whole of last season on game day one.

Relegation candidates indeed. Our next match was away to Werder Bremen and Klause Balke was quick off the mark to give us a 1-0 lead before succumbing to a 3-1 defeat. Defeats were the theme of the day thereafter as we lost our next three, conceding 11 times in the process.

As we readied ourselves to face Hannover at the end of September we knew we needed to change things and we did this by reverting to a bog standard 4-4-2 which paid dividends immediately with wins over Hannover 96 and Mainz 05. It's fair to say that the change suited us as our form and results improved thereafter.

Our 7th place finish was impressive and secured European football initially with the club qualifying for the Europa Conference League.

But UEL isn't the Conference League,.....oh, I know.....I know. I think whoever lives beneath me now knows too. The top three are just too damn good and in total we must have conceded at least 25-30 of our 70 goals against them alone but how close is that?! Painful to be Leverkusen or Dortmund.

DFB-Pokal

Toggle Spoiler

We slapped FC Duren 7-0 in the first round but went into the second knowing that there was a very real chance that Borussia Dortmund could do the same to us.

But.

To late late goals from Niemann ensured it was party time. We don't beat the big boys all too often.

Hertha came and went in the third but despite the scoreline we were pretty fortunate at times.

We knew we wouldn't be drawing Bayern Munich in the quarter finals as they were knocked out early doors and so we hoped to avoid Bayer Leverkusen. As it happens we drew 3.Liga side Jahn Regensburg and our passage to the semi's was pretty straight forward.

Which we did by drawing and beating 2.Bundesliga side Fortuna with the man, the le....nope, more to come later because Doda is an absolute cunt as it turns out but no one cared as the players danced late into the night after reaching the final. Inevitably we would face and get trounced by Leverkusen again, the unfortunate runners up had scored six times against us in both league games.

But...

But..

Mainz had other ideas!

Holy shit! Honours?!

You bet cha.

---------------------------------------

Ha. Serves him right. I'm going to miss him.

End of Season Awards
    Toggle Spoiler

The Squad.

Toggle Spoiler

Buzzin'. Next season we've got European football as we move into our new stadium. Pre-season Mega Post up soon.

Last edited by Smjffy; 19-05-2020 at 06:33 PM.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should've Germanified your name. Timo Schmidt.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick, give yourself an amusing nickname in case they name the stadium after you.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't they let you pick what you want to call the stadium? First season in the Prem going shite so far got a 37 year old Mo Salah on a free, tried for De Gea too but he went to Everton instead. Highlight of the save has to be Son Heung-Min bagging a hat trick against Sunderland on the last day of the Championship before retiring.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a goal disallowed for offside, and in the replay the red line was on the defenders and the yellow line on the attacker (who seemingly didn't even touch the ball). Such a weird bug.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleb View Post
    A spot in the 2023 Nations Cup is secured by finishing top of a second round group in the World Cup qualifiers and not losing a single game up to that point. Finished third in the East Asian Cup somehow by not getting our bums fucked by South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong (though I was fucking SEETHING that we didn't beat them). Final Stage started and for us to get any chance of going to Qatar we need to finish 3rd for a playoff spot because somehow we lost our first three games to Uzbekistan, South Korea (twice naturally) and Iran
    So after losing four on the bounce we somehow get a run going and almost qualify automatically for Qatar but instead went through the playoffs

Destroyed UAE 4-1 in the AFC section then went on to dick New Zealand 5-1 before ultimately finishing last in the World Cup proper to USA, Spain and Turkey
    Last edited by Pleb; 20-05-2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: not three on the bounce mb

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...er-use-of-name

Manchester United is suing the makers of the Football Manager series for allegedly infringing its trademark by using the club’s name “extensively throughout the game”.

The English Premier League club has taken legal action against Sega Publishing and Sports Interactive (SI), the publisher and developer of the popular football management simulation.

The club also argues that Sega and SI have infringed its trademark over its logo by not using the official Manchester United crest in the game, instead “replacing the club crest with a simplified red and white striped logo”.

United claims this “deprives the registered proprietor of its right to have the club crest licensed”.

Sega and SI say the use of the club’s name is “a legitimate reference to the Manchester United football team in a football context” and has been used in Football Manager and its predecessor Championship Manager since 1992 “without complaint by the claimant”.

The companies have accused the club of trying to “prevent legitimate competition in the video games field by preventing parties not licensed by the claimant from using the name of the Manchester United football team within such games”.

At a preliminary remote hearing on Friday, Manchester United’s barrister Simon Malynicz QC said “the name ‘Manchester United’ is one of the world’s most valuable and recognised brands”.

He said the money clubs made from licensing their names and logos was “very significant” and “the products and services that are licensed by the claimant benefit from an association with the club’s winning culture and its brand values”.

Malynicz argued, in relation to the alleged infringement of the trademark on United’s logo, that “consumers expect to see the club crest next to the name Manchester United ... and this failure to do so amounts to wrongful use”.

He accepted this argument was “somewhat novel, and certainly in the context of video games, but it is certainly arguable”.

The barrister asked Mr Justice Morgan to allow the club to amend its claim against Sega and SI to include allegations involving “the practice of supplying ‘patches’ or ‘mods’, essentially downloadable files containing replica trademarks, which consumers then incorporate into the game”.

Malynicz argued Sega and SI “encouraged” the use of patches supplied by third parties “by promoting the patch providers in various ways and, of course, they directly benefited from it by avoiding the need to take any licence and enjoying increased sales of their game”.

Roger Wyand QC, representing the defendants, opposed the club’s application to amend the claim.

In their written defence to United’s claim, Sega and SI said: “The claimant has acquiesced in the use by the defendants of the name of the Manchester United football team in the Football Manager game and cannot now complain of such use.”

Wyand argued the “simplified” club badge used in the game was “one of 14 generic logo templates that is randomly chosen by the Football Manager game engine each time a new game is started” and “clearly indicates that the use of the [logo of] Manchester United is not licensed by the claimant”.

Sega and SI said preventing them using Manchester United’s name “would amount to an unreasonable restraint on the right to freedom of expression to restrain the use of the words ‘Manchester United’ to refer to a team in a computer game”.

Wyand pointed out that “copies of the game have also been sent by SI to a number of officials and players at the [club] for a number of years and there have been a number of positive press comments and tweets about the game by them”.

He added: “Further, the claimant’s staff working in the data analytics and scouting teams have contacted SI on various occasions asking for access to the Football Manager database for scouting and research purposes.”

The QC concluded “there is no likelihood of confusion or damage to the claimant’s EU trademarks ... caused by the defendants’ activities”.

Morgan reserved his judgment on United’s application to amend its claim to a later date.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can imagine a large portion of Man United fans would be fuming with that, let alone anyone else.

Out of curiosity, has anyone used the create a club option on Touch? It’s unlimited seasons isn’t it?

I was toying with it and I have two options in that I create a club and do YDWAWK starting at Conference South with zero staff players etc or I add an affiliate and I was tempted to do Qatar SC who would supply £10M a year as we sportswash our way to success.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it great free publicity for them and every other club?

Or are they just addicted to wanking money on lawyers for the sake of it?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    57 games, 25 victories, 19 defeats & 13 draws, enough was enough. Failure to reach a successive World Cup saw me and the Scottish FA part ways and I hold no grudge. We were given a dream of a qualifying group yet couldn't take advantage. It was a tentative start as we drew our opening three games v Turkey, Luxembourg & Switzerland. A 2-1 defeat in Istanbul left us in a perilous position, but we redeemed ourselves with back to back wins scoring 6 goals in the process. Any chance of qualification now required a maximum 6 points from our remaining games, Hungary (H), Swiss (A). We drew both fixtures and subsequently finished third.

I left the job with a 43.86% win rate leaving me sandwiched in history between Walter Smith & Craig Brown. Greater quality in the business end of pitch and I'm confident we would have qualified for this World Cup and the Euros prior. Ah well.

I've really enjoyed the pace of international management and may have another stab in my next venture.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not posted much lately, but Southport is going well...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing 19 a bit (assuming the match engine is more or less identical on 20 so not bothering to buy it) and whilst it's good fun, some of the stuff that happens is ludicrous. I've done a half season and I've had goals scored for or against me in the following ways:

- Keeper dribbling 30 yards out with his side 2-1 up in the 93rd minute, being tackled and conceding
    - Keeper launching a clearance into an onrushing attacker and the ricochet dribbling in
    - A glancing header just being totally ignored by the goalkeeper as it bounces three times before trickling off the post into an empty net
    - A free kick bouncing down off the bar, off the keeper's arse and in

I know these things could all happen IRL, but they seem to happen every second game because the match engine is incapable of getting the players to be aware of where the ball is so they spend half the time in a fog with it bouncing off their arses.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I've been playing 19 a bit (assuming the match engine is more or less identical on 20 so not bothering to buy it) and whilst it's good fun, some of the stuff that happens is ludicrous. I've done a half season and I've had goals scored for or against me in the following ways:

- Keeper dribbling 30 yards out with his side 2-1 up in the 93rd minute, being tackled and conceding
    - Keeper launching a clearance into an onrushing attacker and the ricochet dribbling in
    - A glancing header just being totally ignored by the goalkeeper as it bounces three times before trickling off the post into an empty net
    - A free kick bouncing down off the bar, off the keeper's arse and in

I know these things could all happen IRL, but they seem to happen every second game because the match engine is incapable of getting the players to be aware of where the ball is so they spend half the time in a fog with it bouncing off their arses.
    The systemic stuff annoys me more I think, like how strikers can almost always run past defenders, who always seem to run towards where the ball was half a second ago. This results in an absurd number of one on ones, which the creators have made unbelievably difficult to score in an effort to prevent what would otherwise be constant 10-goal games

EDIT: Oh, and first time volleys from the edge of / outside of the box go in with stunning regularity

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full backs running alone the byline, then shooting at an impossible angle instead of playing a simple pass for a tap in the ultimate annoyance for me. Just pass!

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just play the below and win everything

Myself and some other dude been working on the idea for a while on Discord

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three playmakers and not a ball winner in sight. Mental.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s always a tactic like that on every FM, just overload with attacking players and you’ll do really well, even if you’re not a great team. Kinda puts paid to all those “strategy guides” that break down how to structure your team for success and always promote balance, when you could do way better if you forgot all of that and just went kamikaze

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't be arsed with that. Just put some shitkickers in my own functional formation and hope to break the ensuing 0-0 stalemates.

I'm in the Hungarian league (Ferencvaros) and it really is great. Every oppo team has 10 peasants and a single overweight African centre forward. My key player is a 37 year old Brazilian whose natural position is 'libero', like we're in 1993.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dusted off my old PC (state of the art in 2010) and downloaded FM20, loaded all leagues, pressed go then wandered off to do the washing up.

It's still thinking about it.