User Tag List

Thread: [FOOTY] Half-Season Review 2019-2020

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[FOOTY] Half-Season Review 2019-2020

Well we're about halfway, so let's have a review.

Here are the pre-season predictions for reference.

Feel free to delete/invent categories.

I'll give this a bump sometime over Christmas in case people are more likely to do it then.

OVERVIEW:

My team is:
    Expectations (at start of season):
    View on performance:
    Any other comments:

MANAGER:

My team's manager is:
    Rating out of 5:
    If I were in charge I'd sack them now (Yes/No):
    Areas they have performed well in:
    Any other comments:

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5:
    Best result of the season:
    Best performance of the season:
    Worst result of the season:
    Worst performance of the season:
    Any other comments:

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season:
    Pleasant surprise of the season:
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season:
    Underperformer of the season:
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude:
    Outright worst player of the season:
    Any other comments:

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season:
    Worst signing this season:
    Rating out of 5:
    In January I'd like to see us sign:
    In January I think we'll sign:
    I'd like to see us sell:
    I think we'll sell:
    Any other comments:

END OF SEASON PREDICTIONS:

My expectations:
    What I think we'll achieve:
    Last edited by Reg; 19-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Man Utd
    Expectations (at start of season): Top 4
    View on performance: Wobbly. Great results against Spurs and City, but some really dire performances. We're only 5 points off fourth, and Chelsea look like they're going backwards, so it could be worse.
    Any other comments: Not really. We need to perform much better against the shit.

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: OGB
    Rating out of 5: 3
    If I were in charge I'd sack them now (Yes/No): No
    Areas they have performed well in: Rashford is looking very good, so he has to get some credit for that. Our counter attacking play is excellent, and we've created some great chances by attacking so quickly. It's just a shame we miss so many. He's turned Fred into someone who actually looks like a professional footballer, rather than a competition winner.
    Any other comments: Those who watch United regularly can see the progress being made, even if the results aren't necessarily improving at the rate we'd like.

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: 2.5/5
    Best result of the season: Away at City
    Best performance of the season: As above
    Worst result of the season: Losing to Palace at home
    Worst performance of the season: At home to Villa. We were second best, and lucky to draw
    Any other comments: The inconsistency is a real issue at the moment. We have had problems in the first half of matches since LvG, and I have no idea why. We regularly seem to come to life in the second half.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: I think Rashford edges it
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Fred - he's really starting to come good.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: McTomminay, he's come into his own this season.
    Underperformer of the season: Fatboy Shaw. He needs binning off, he's never going to become the player we thought he would.
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: Andreas Pereira. He doesn't do anything regardless of what position he plays in. Has he ever had a good game for us?
    Outright worst player of the season: Andreas Pereira purely because he keeps playing.
    Any other comments: AWB has been excellent in defence, awful going forward.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Dan James, purely because of the tiny transfer fee. AWB has performed better, though.
    Worst signing this season: Has to be Maguire. He's done alright, but not lived up to his transfer fee yet.
    Rating out of 5: 4/5
    In January I'd like to see us sign: Sancho, a good central midfielder
    In January I think we'll sign: Probably noone
    I'd like to see us sell: Pereira, Matic, Jones, Fatboy Shaw
    I think we'll sell: Possibly Pogba, depending on who you believe. Matic, maybe.
    Any other comments: The three players that have come in have all done well. Probably the best window we've had in years.

My expectations: Top 4
    What I think we'll achieve: It's going to be close. United, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea are all fighting it out for one spot (unless Leicester capitulate in the second half of the season). Could end up missing out by a couple of points.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Liverpool
    Expectations (at start of season): Challenge Man City again
    View on performance: We've not even been at our best and I firmly believe that.
    Any other comments: Nothing that hasn't already been mentioned, well deserving of all the praise.

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Jurgen Klopp
    Rating out of 5: 5
    Areas they have performed well in: Every single one of them
    Any other comments: He's borderline faultless.

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: 4
    Best result of the season: 3-1 v Man City. If we were to challenge again then it was the most important but then who foresaw what would happen thereafter
    Best performance of the season: Probably the above.
    Worst result of the season: 0-0 against United as it's the only domestic one you could choose. Other than that, Napoli away?
    Worst performance of the season: Again, probably the above. We only got going near the end.
    Any other comments: Zilch. It's simply been incredible thus far. Very unlike us.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Sadio Mane.
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Adrian not being a complete liability. You feared the worse when Alisson got ruled out for a while.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: Fabinho, TAA, Mane, VVD...too many to mention but then we haven't had many 'big' games.
    Underperformer of the season: Joe Gomez. Injuries have halted him somewhat but I'm being extremely unfair even nominating him.
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: No idea.
    Outright worst player of the season: No idea.
    Any other comments: To a man pretty much every single one has been great.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Adrian as there is no one else.
    Worst signing this season: Adrian as there is no one else unless you pick on a youth prospect.
    In January I'd like to see us sign: A centre back on loan.
    In January I think we'll sign: Minamino confirmed and I imagine that'll be our only business. Quite rightly, I guess.
    I'd like to see us sell: Adam Lallana. He's not going to be anything more than a bit part player but I chose him just to have someone.
    I think we'll sell: No one.
    Any other comments: Our record in the transfer market over the last 2/3 windows has been remarkable.

My expectations: To finally land the Premier League especially now.
    What I think we'll achieve: I can't see us losing it from here and if we beat Leicester City too we'll be 13/16 points clear before the end of the year and that sort of bottle job would destroy even the most hardened supporter. We'll lose eventually but if we don't win from here on in then we're jinxed. No two ways about it.

I imagine we'll win Saturday's final, I'm confident our Champions League run won't end in Madrid and the FA Cup will depend entirely on how seriously Klopp takes it. Past seasons suggests not very. I'll settle for the title as it will be a huge monkey off our backs but you're in all competitions to win them and a third successive European final would be the icing on the cake.

I still don't believe it's all happening. Every single thing just seems to fall in our favour. Man City slipping up repeatedly, Man United and Everton being shit, late late goals, a few VAR decisions. It's the best time I have ever experienced being a Liverpool supporter but at the same time, there is that feeling at the back of my mind that we'll somehow make it difficult because that's pretty much what I've been used to.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Toots
    Expectations (at start of season): I probably said 6th-8th
    View on performance: Absolute gutter performances under Poch, 6.5/10 under Mourinho. That we'll go 4th if we beat Chelsea on Friday is mind boggling.
    Any other comments: Around March it was clear we were in serious trouble performance-wise. Not selling anyone this summer was the real death knell, it was clear about 3 games into the season that Pochettino needed out and was mega depressed. Everyone was "shocked" when he finally got sacked but it was so obvious he wanted to leave that most of us found the news relieving

MANAGER

My team's manager is: The Humble One
    Areas they have performed well in: Hmmmm
    Any other comments: I still can't read him. The moment we start going downhill he's gonna take the club with him and set fire to it, so I'm just hoping the good times last as long as possible

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: 2
    Best result of the season: Somehow drawing at the Etihad
    Best performance of the season: The 5-0 against Burnley a couple weeks ago was very comfortable
    Worst result of the season: The prolapse at home against Bayern
    Worst performance of the season: Probably the Newcastle loss but there have been a few.
    Any other comments: The pre-Mou months were worse than anything under AVB or Sherwood

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Hard one. Probably Son. Kane might get it if I forgot for a moment he's still a shadow of his former self.
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Ndombele is really solid but has no fitness. Don't think there has been much in the way of pleasant surprises this season. I guess Gazzaniga has been decent.
    The Didier Drogba award for big game player of the season: It's always Lucas really but
    Underperformer of the season: Eriksen for sure. Absolute garbage bar 30 good minutes after coming on in the 1st game of hte season
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: Eric Dier is a Championship-tier doofus
    Outright worst player of the season: Lots. I'll go with Danny Rose, who's got to be the most depressing interview subject of all time
    Any other comments: Not a lot of players have looked too good this season but it is turning around recently. Dele has been playing well for the first time in almost 3 years.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Ndombele
    Worst signing this season: Sess hasn't played and Lo Celso's been injured and has barely played. They both look alright though
    Rating out of 5: 2, would be higher on purely incomings but no outgoings was shit
    In January I'd like to see us sign: Some full backs
    In January I think we'll sign: Nobody
    I'd like to see us sell: Eriksen, Rose, Dier, Lloris, KWP, and Davies (for HG slot)
    I think we'll sell: Hopefully all of those plus one of the Belgians in defence.
    Any other comments: Squad needs thinned and replaced

END OF SEASON PREDICTIONS

My expectations:: 4th
    What I think we'll achieve: 5th, United deserve the top 4 and will probably get it by end of season.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Liverpool
    Expectations (at start of season): Challenge City for the title.
    View on performance: Almost impossible to have done better. Top, winning all but 1 and won our CL group.
    Any other comments: Not played our best stuff yet. Has been much more of a grind than the table shows.

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Klopp
    If I were in charge I'd sack them now (Yes/No): lol. Probably the safest manager on Earth.
    Areas they have performed well in: Instilled a never-say-die attitude into the players and getting the best out of them.
    Any other comments:

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: 4.9
    Best result of the season: City 3-1. There was some belief in the air but this was the game some saw the great run coming unstuck. Instead went up a gear and it felt like a pivotal moment in the season.
    Best performance of the season: As above. Barely felt like a mistake was made.
    Worst result of the season: 3-0 loss to Napoli.
    Worst performance of the season: As above. They seemed to be our bogey side.
    Any other comments: The ability to not only win, but in recent weeks make 5+ changes to a team and still bring in the wins and performances is something we've not had in a very long time.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: A few stand out, but Mané has been the absolute star so far.
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Adrian. We looked in some serious bother at the start of the season, but he came in and played as well as Alisson would have, save for one mistake against Southampton. Even was the hero in adding some silverware.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: Mané again has been massive.
    Underperformer of the season: Seems an odd one to say after last night and this pains me to say it, but Firmino. His general play is about as good as it usually is, but he just doesn't get goals or assists these days. 4 and 4 in 17 games for a centre forward in the leagues best team is not really a good enough return.
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: n/a
    Outright worst player of the season: Somehow, Moise Kean.
    Any other comments:

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Adrian. Came and did exactly what he needed to. If he never plays another game he'll still be delighted with what he's done here I'd imagine.
    Worst signing this season:
    In January I'd like to see us sign: I'd have said some cover for the wider areas and a full back, but Minamino is now done. I also think he's a long term addition too. Lallana is a neat player but offers little in this side. He's also out in the summer on a free, so this could be a bargain replacement.
    Werner has a £30m clause come into effect in 2020 so he'd be perfect, but I don't see Klopp guaranteeing him every game, so he'll go somewhere else.
    In January I think we'll sign: No one else.
    I'd like to see us sell: No one.
    I think we'll sell: No one.
    Any other comments: Actual full backs are needed. When Trent and Robertson have to rest, it shows. Milner, Henderson and Gomez do okay but no where near as effective.

My expectations: We surely must go on to win it from here. We've had an amazing start and are 10 points clear of Leicester and 14 of City. And those 2 play each other on Saturday.
    We've some very tough fixtures to go into in January and I think there's where it will be won or lost. I'm not as confident as other fans seem to be, as I've seen us be the only side to top at Christmas then not win it on several occasions.
    What I think we'll achieve:Not a clue.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21 games, 7 points.

2nd from bottom.

Sol fucking Campbell in charge.

Fin.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Chelsea
    Expectations (at start of season): Challenging around the edge of the CL places
    View on performance: For the most part, very good
    Any other comments: We had a purple patch in October and November, seemingly regressing to the mean in December but we'll be back.

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Super Frankie Binman
    Areas they have performed well in: The great quality he has is that unlike the legions of Italians and other 'cultured' managers we have had, he never goes for the safe option unless it is demonstrably prudent to do so. When you have people like Sarri, Conte, Ancelotti, even Ranieri in charge of your side (and obviously Mourinho is very much like this too), the styles of play may differ but the managerial approach is always identical - strive for tactical control, close the game down if you go a goal up, and never, EVER take any risks with selection. Lampard takes the opposite approach to this. He just says fuck it we're going to try things. A lot has worked, some hasn't, but as a supporter it makes the watching experience a lot more enjoyable.
    Any other comments: We are unbelievably, incredibly naive at times and that I think is a consequence of Lampard's managerial inexperience but to be honest this is just what you get when he takes the bold approach to managing a football side that he does, and I'm willing to live with it.

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Best result of the season: Winning away at Ajax. Domestically, the 5-2 at Wolves may have been in a down period for Wolves but that felt like the game when everyone swung behind the manager.
    Best performance of the season: I'm going to be contrary and say the 2-1 defeat to Liverpool. We were excellent for long periods in that. In fact we've had a few glorious defeats to the top sides, and some inglorious ones to Man U.
    Worst result of the season: 0-1 to West Ham set us back a lot and really ended the great run, although we had lost to City the week before.
    Worst performance of the season: Probably the most recent one vs Bournemouth
    Any other comments: A lot depends on N'golo Kanté, and they know that so rushed him back too quickly and he hasn't been fully fit all season, which has meant when he's been at 80% our performances have suffered a touch. Still a Gatling gun of a player though.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Jorginho, Kovacic, Kanté and Abraham all absolute class. Very hard to separate them but I'll say Jorginho.
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Tammy Abraham has been the absolute dictionary definition of a pleasant surprise, but it's a highly competitive field with Fikayo Tomori running him very close, Pulisic also in there and Mason Mount's level of maturity a big plus for us. And Kovacic! Half our team has been a pleasant surprise.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: N'Golo Kanté by a mile, but for someone who is a Championship-level footballer, Michy Batshuayi doesn't half get us a few goals at handy times.
    Underperformer of the season: Kepa has been a bit meh in goal, but whatever. Both our left backs have been pretty disappointing and the non-Abraham strikers are both useless.
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: Marcos Alonso cannot defend, and when I say cannot defend, I don't mean he allows too many crosses or lets men beat him. I mean a three-year-old could leave him for dead while another one burgled his house.
    Outright worst player of the season: No one has been persistently rank, but there are a few players who you don't want to see come in for a run of games, Alonso being one of them. Christensen another.
    Any other comments: Almost everyone has been great and exceeded expectations.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Pulisic
    Worst signing this season: I don't think there were any others, owing to the ban, so also Pulisic, but he has been great.
    In January I'd like to see us sign: Emerson is sort of OK, but if we're going to be a club that consistently makes the Champions League, we need what would in American sports be known as 'franchise' full backs. Reece James could be one although at the moment he cannot defend to save his life. Everything else is pretty swish although if there's a good young striker knocking around somewhere I wouldn't mind them being signed/promoted to be backup to Abraham.
    In January I think we'll sign: Probably some sort of winger/whatever (although I would leave this for the summer) and maybe another shite left back. If Giroud goes, maybe another shite striker.
    I'd like to see us sell: No one really, although I think Andreas Christensen would be a good player in a less intense league and should move to somewhere like Italy or, you know, Denmark.
    I think we'll sell: I would have thought Giroud would want to go and play some football to press his case for the Euros.
    Any other comments: I hope Lampard, Marina and whoever else drives the boat at Chelsea will not go mental in January and sign people for the sake of it. Players like Tomori, Mount and James need 50/100 games to learn the top-level game and establish themselves. If we given them that, they will all be good investments. Bringing in cast offs from Roma or whatever to plug gaps is not the way forward.

My expectations: 4th
    What I think we'll achieve: 4th but only just. We won't get past Bayern and the FA Cup is a lottery.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My team is: Newcastle United
    Expectations (at start of season): Struggling to avoid relegation.
    View on performance: Decent. Bruce has managed to replicate Rafa's pragmatism but we don't half vanish from smaller games.
    Any other comments: Optimistic for some mediocrity.

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Published novelist, Steven Bruce.
    If I were in charge I'd sack them now (Yes/No): No.
    Areas they have performed well in: Organisation. Mainly against the big sides but he's also managed to get us some goals from somewhere.
    Any other comments: I'd still love him to get more goals from the front three.

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Best result of the season: 1-0 vs Man Utd
    Best performance of the season: vs Sheff Utd. Who needs possession when you can take your chances?
    Worst result of the season: vs Norwich. When it comes to the other promoted sides, we've not got going. At least we rebound from them.
    Worst performance of the season: vs Villa. I had to pick one but we didn't bother much against Burnley either.
    Any other comments: If we hadn't already got the points on the board, inconsistency might've played on their mind a bit.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Martin Dubravka. I can't really single the centre backs out and I feel Shelvey can't be relied on to drag us forward. Dubravka's saves have kept us in games which, at the minute, are all tight affairs.
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Saint-Maximim's pace.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: Probably Shelvey.
    Underperformer of the season: Joelinton. I know he puts a shift in but I want to see him find the net more.
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: I'll leave this blank unless you want to count Saint-Maximum or Almiron in front of goal. Or Kaerth.
    Outright worst player of the season: I don't want to be hard on Joelinton but the price tag puts some pressure on him. I hope he settles. EDIT: Kaerth. Our right backs always seem potentially weak and he seems big and lump enough to give away those types of fouls.
    Any other comments: As a unit, we've done alright. I certainly don't look at the teamsheet and see any real bottlers.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Saint-Maximum. Pace is exciting and you will always need it. Big ups to Andy Carroll as well for making himself a real presence.
    Worst signing this season: Joelinton. Again, £40m is tough for anyone to justify but that pre-season promise hasn't materialised beyond the Spurs match. ACTUALLY, Kaerth's been caught out a few times. I forgot about him.
    In January I'd like to see us sign: Someone with more reliability in front of goal. We miss Rondon and maybe someone else in midfield to boost us.
    In January I think we'll sign: Nobody.
    I'd like to see us sell: Nobody, really. We've never been a big squad. Maybe cut our losses with Lazaar and Aarons.
    I think we'll sell: Shelvey or Schar. If the offer's daft.
    Any other comments: Nah. I think we feared a McClaren summer where fantastic talent comes in only for the manager not to figure them out. Bruce has, at very least, kept things harmonious.

My expectations: Survival
    What I think we'll achieve: Survival. Maybe not top ten but the league's so tight at the minute.
    Last edited by Shindig; 19-12-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Man Utd
    Expectations (at start of season): Top 4
    View on performance: Incredibly mediocre but some positive signs.
    Any other comments: Ending the summer transfer window without signing a midfielder and with a net spend of about 20p - given the ridiculous amount of money we make - was criminal.

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    Rating out of 5:3
    Areas they have performed well in: Getting rid of some of the absolute dross in the squad, bringing through the young players, clearly having an actual long-term vision for the club. Some excellent performances against the big teams.
    Any other comments: I really think he's got a chance of building something really good if he's actually given time and opportunity. Our team is ridiculously young; given solid investment in some desperately thin areas and a few years for those players to develop I think we could be very good indeed.

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: 2.5
    Best result of the season: City
    Best performance of the season: City
    Worst result of the season: Newcastle maybe?
    Worst performance of the season: I remember the West Ham game being particularly awful but there's been a lot of dreadful performances against smaller teams
    Any other comments: We have been genuinely very good against team who attack us and give us the opportunities to counter. Rashford, Martial and James are all fantastic on the counter. Against teams who sit back and make us break them down we've been absolutely and painfully woeful. The forwards are static and there's absolutely zero creativity which was blatantly obvious going into the season. Pogba is our only creative midfielder of any ability whatsoever and he's been injured the whole season so far (which is admittedly unlucky). We play a 4-2-3-1 which is a formation that lives and dies by the quality of it's number 10, and ours are fucking Lingard, Pereira and Mata. OOFT.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Wan Bissaka. He is a complete wall. As Lewis says, god knows how he made it through the academies masquerading as a winger given he is pretty wank going forward, but his tackling is actually unbelievable.
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Dan James has been a lot better than anyone had right to expect.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: Rashford; his goalscoring record against the top teams is brilliant.
    Underperformer of the season: Not sure. There's a lot of players who've been shit but they can't really be said to be underperforming since they are actually just shit. Martial should probably be doing better than he is.
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: Young
    Outright worst player of the season: Pereira is utterly pointless
    Any other comments: I think we're a very good number 10 away from being a good team.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Wan Bissaka
    Worst signing this season: All the signings have been good. You can lol on about £80m for Maguire, but he's worth it to never have to watch a partnership of Phil Jones and Chris Smalling again.
    Rating out of 5: 4 for the ones we got, 3 overall since we needed more
    In January I'd like to see us sign: Sancho + midfielder
    In January I think we'll sign: Haaland
    I'd like to see us sell: Pereira, Mata, Young, Lingard, Jones, Matic etc. etc. etc.
    I think we'll sell: Nobody
    Any other comments: No

My expectations: top 4
    What I think we'll achieve: 5th

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    OVERVIEW:

Any other comments: Ending the summer transfer window without signing a midfielder and with a net spend of about 20p - given the ridiculous amount of money we make - was criminal.
    Wasn't your net spend about €100m? Maguire+AWB+James-Darmien-Lukaku?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was around £65m-£70m, depending on who you believe regarding the transfer fees.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Wolves
    Expectations (at start of season): Wolves to do better than last year
    View on performance: First five games started out slow, but since then, Wolves have been great. They are still difficult to beat. 99% of the players have carried on since last season

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Nuno
    Rating out of 5: 4.5
    Areas they have performed well in: A shift information back to 523 has been a revelation. That system won Wolves the championship. Nuno moved to a 532 during the first year in the premier league, but he has gone back to his original and it is working great.
    TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: 4.5
    Best result of the season: Beasting Man City 2-0 in Manchester
    Best performance of the season: Losing 2-1 vs Tottenham at home.
    Worst result of the season: Losing 1-0 at home to Braga
    Worst performance of the season: Losing 1-0 at home to Braga

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Moutinho at 33, is still running the show in midfield.
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Dendoncker. Even though he runs like Mr Bean, he has been good. Injured in defence has forced him to play as one of the three at the back. He has been solid. I think he started his career in that positions but has mostly been used in midfield.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: Doherty
    Underperformer of the season: Neves. He does not seem to influence games anymore, and then out of nowhere. He will pop up with a scorcher from 30 yards.
    Outright worst player of the season: Vallejo. He is just awful. Send him back to R.Madrid
    Any other comments: Adam's movement off the ball is shocking. He rarely runs into the box at the back post, in order to gamble. It is Doherty, the RWB he is always bursting forward. Its weird.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: n/a
    Worst signing this season: Vallejo or Curtrone
    Rating out of 5: 2
    In January I'd like to see us sign: A attack-minded central midfield player and a defender.

My expectations: Finish above Chelski or Man Utd was my original predection. Its on
    What I think we'll achieve:[/QUOTE] A top five finish again, will be mega.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Manchester United
    Expectations (at start of season): I said "5th?"
    View on performance: As is apparent,y we're good against good teams because they're leaving space for our fast but unimaginative attack to pour into. Absolute garbage against anybody who tries to defend though.
    Any other comments: Nah.

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: OGB
    Rating out of 5: 3, ish.
    Areas they have performed well in: Getting good performances out of players who aren't flighty twats. And we are pretty good at the one thing we're good at.
    Any other comments: Desperately needs to come up with a plan B and tighten up the defence (this isn't just a personnel issue.)

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: Ehhhhh.... 2.5.
    Best result of the season: City.
    Best performance of the season: Half of the City game, at least.
    Worst result of the season: Palace
    Worst performance of the season: Not short of options here but I'll also go for Newcastle, taking everything into account.
    Any other comments: Any sort of effort to defend seems almost guaranteed to fox us, which is a bit depressing.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: He hasn't consistently been the best but Rashford has been the difference most often.
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Could either go to Dan James actually being useful or Fred for actually looking like he might be coming good.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: McTominay. Who I don't think gets the credit he deserves in some quarters, possibly because he used to come on and it not be apparent what he was there for.
    Underperformer of the season:Martial. It'd be less galling if he appeared to give a solitary shit.
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: I still don't know what an Andreas Pereira is supposed to be for.
    Outright worst player of the season: Pereira again I suppose.
    Any other comments: I think Binman deserves credit for the work he's done with some of the players and some of the younger ones coming through but at the same time there are players who are soon going to need to have a decision made on them before we waste any more time trying to develop them. At least pap them out on loan.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Wan-Bissaka.
    Worst signing this season: I suppose it's Maguire by default but as discussed in the other thread he hasn't been bad. And with United's wealth there is not a single, microscopic fuck to be given about the fee outside of serving as evidence of Woodward's uselessness.
    Rating out of 5: For what we HAVE bought just about a 4. If you're taking into account what else we needed then maybe a 3.
    In January I'd like to see us sign: I dunno. I have seen bugger all of this Haaland lad and the
    In January I think we'll sign: Whoever Randrew's mates say we will. If we want Haaland then I suspect we'll want that done even if he's going back on loan. I don't see any other significant ones happening but who knows.
    I'd like to see us sell: If we were able to get back at least what we'd paid I wouldn't be heartbroken to see either Pogba or Martial gone. Because I'm either the racist Offy says I am or I just hate the French, one of the two. Let's also bin any of Pereira, Jones and Young just as a Christmas present to ourselves.
    I think we'll sell: Probably nobody. Unless the Reddit Boardroom have decided otherwise.
    Any other comments: We're probably getting rid of Dalot at some point and I wish I knew why.

My expectations: We'll probably hang about in the push for 4th spot because there isn't an obvious 4th best team at the moment.
    What I think we'll achieve: 5th or 6th if we can't figure out how to open up a defence.
    Last edited by Ian; 20-12-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance it would be way too depressing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not going to repeat most of the above which I largely agree with. United have been below par but expected considering the midfield we've employed. The three signings have been an improvement and we're starting to see improvement from Fred with McTomminay in the middle. Forwards are improving and if it's good to see Greenwood get a look in. He's going to be a much better forward than Martial.

Williams another one for me who has been fantastic with attitude and skill - a completely different player to tubby Shaw.

If we have a decent run in the Europa and potentially win the League or FA Cup then it's been a good season.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is, as a match going fan, Kiko.....lack of movement or lack of creativity?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Fulham
    Expectations (at start of season): Top 2
    View on performance: Up and down - one week dominating the ball and creating shedloads of chances, the next week playing 100 passes between our centre-backs and losing 3-0.
    Any other comments: It's still been more enjoyable that the dross that last season was.

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Scott Parker
    Areas they have performed well in: A clear style of play, which when it works, is unstoppable. Fluid football, patient with the ball and creating space with our flair players up front. WHEN IT WORKS.
    Any other comments: Too unwilling to change it when it clearly is failing. I appreciate sticking to the style and trying to work things out, but some games we just need to mix it up completely and have a plan B to break down a team set up to counter and nullify our slow style.

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: 2.75
    Best result of the season: 1-0 away at Birmingham. Really tough game against a form side and helped steady us a bit before the international break.
    Best performance of the season: 4-0 win at home to Millwall
    Worst result of the season: 3-0 loss at home to Hull
    Worst performance of the season: As above. Although we played awfully this weekend in losing 1-0 at Brentford.
    Any other comments: Just too inconsistent. We've had some cracking wins, 4-0 against Millwall, 4-1 at Reading, 3-0 at home to Derby, where we look great. Then it can all go to pot quite quickly as we found out this past week - 3 games, 0 points.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Aleksander Mitrovic
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Marek Rodak
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: Aleksander Mitrovic
    Underperformer of the season: Anthony Knockaert
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: Alfie Mawson - just a bit Calamity James at times.
    Outright worst player of the season: Josh Onomah, he's been pretty weak overall. I'm prepared to give him a little more time though.
    Any other comments: Should be doing better with the tools we have at hand. Squad is packed full of quality for this level, and really should be challenging Leeds and West Brom at the top. We have had some injury issues of late, but even so.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Bobby Reid has been pretty sharp. Hopefully we can make that permanent in the summer. Harrison Reed has also been very solid, and we've missed him since he's been out injured.
    Worst signing this season: Josh Onomah I suppose. Poor first few games but he has shown signs of improvement. Knockaert gets another mention - can't make the right decision to save his life.
    Rating out of 5: 3.5
    In January I'd like to see us sign: Michael Hector is already confirmed, nice to get a new centre back in to shore up the defence. I'd like to get another left-back in too if possible.
    In January I think we'll sign: Probably another skillful and selfish winger to go with the 8 on the books already.
    I'd like to see us sell: I'd like to send Knockaert back to Brighton so there is more space for Kamara/Reid/Kebano to make a winger spot their own.
    I think we'll sell: We'll send a few youngsters out on loan but can't see anyone getting sold.
    Any other comments: Generally decent business, and getting Mitrovic to sign a new deal is worth 3/5 alone.

My expectations: Playoffs and another win at Wembley please.
    What I think we'll achieve: We'll get the playoffs. Whether we win them again, I'm not so sure.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    The question is, as a match going fan, Kiko.....lack of movement or lack of creativity?
    Both.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Bobby Reid"? Is he off've the 70s?

That's a regen name I'd call bullshit on. Like when FM13 served me up the majestically named Clive Dickens in 2025 or something.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobby Decordova-Reid if you want his full name. But that's a bit of a mouthful.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Sunderland
    Expectations (at start of season): Promotion from league one.
    View on performance: the worst we've ever been in just about every department.
    Any other comments:

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Phil Parkinson
    Rating out of 5: 1
    If I were in charge I'd sack them now (Yes/No): Yes
    Areas they have performed well in: Somehow impressing our cowboy owners in an interview.
    Any other comments: Parkinson replaced Jack Ross, who was dour however he'd kept us around the play offs. Parkinson and Co are making us a mid-table team.

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: 1
    Best result of the season: Beating Tranmere 5-0, the only home game I've missed.
    Best performance of the season: Tranmere.
    Worst result of the season: Plenty, but walking away from the 2-1 defeat to Burton I said it's the worst I've ever seen us.
    Worst performance of the season: You could pick a number: the one above, battered at Peterborough, lost to Lincoln and Shrewsbury, scraped a last minute draw at Bolton.
    Any other comments: The players aren't interested in playing for this manager. McGeady has been told he can leave, two or three others are fat messes, there's little cohesion although with the McGeady revelations coming out recently (apparently there's some bullying) we're hopeful that might change soon. Luke O'Nien is seen as one of our best players; he's an average League One plodder but he has a fantastic attitude.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Luke O'Nien/Jordan Willis
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Nobody. Sometimes it's quite pleasant when someone picks up a surprising injury.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: We're in League One.
    Underperformer of the season: Jon McLaughlin/Max Power/Will Grigg/Connor McLaughlin/Chris Maguire/Dylan McGeouch/George Dobson/what was the question again?
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: Maybe Will Grigg again, although it's got to the stage where you kind of feel sorry for him as he has no support and we're playing completely the wrong way for him.
    Outright worst player of the season: Will Grigg.
    Any other comments: Parkinson obviously has a transfer window coming up, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. We also have Charlie Wyke coming back to fitness who should fit our hoofball approach. It might be 4-4-fucking 2 with Grigg feeding off Wyke.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Jordan Willis
    Worst signing this season: Connor McLaughlin perhaps. There hasn't been that much activity really.
    Rating out of 5: 1.
    In January I'd like to see us sign: it all depends if Parkinson is still here. If he is, we probably need some more physical players, both in terms of strength and pace. We're just a mish mash with no real idea of what we're trying to achieve at the moment. It's a scatter gun approach both on and off the pitch.

In January I think we'll sign: A couple of 'who' type players.
    I'd like to see us sell: McGeady can fuck off if rumours are true, Maguire's a fat cunt with a shocking attitude, McNulty seems similar even though he looked promising earlier in the season, McGeouch has been a waste of space with our current way of playing, Leadbitter's legs have gone, Grigg might as well not be here.
    I think we'll sell: McGeady and McGeouch.
    Any other comments: It's a sorry state of affairs. Our chairman is proving to be a lower/non-league chancer, his right hand man often rubbed people up the wrong way and has now left. A few months ago it was rumoured we were about to be taken over by multi billionaires (involved with Michael Dell, the computer bloke); they attended a game, it seemed like it was a formality. Then it went quiet, and on the same day Jack Ross was sacked it emerged that the takeover had collapsed. Then in the end it turned into an investment. They've put £10m in and things are being taken from there. The problem is we're not really sustainable as a League One club, and I don't think these blokes have much interest whilst we're in the doldrums.

END OF SEASON PREDICTIONS: A new manager, no more investment and another season in League One.

My expectations: Promotion
    What I think we'll achieve:[/QUOTE] Mid-table

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been so grim for your lot.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    It's been so grim for your lot.
    We keep saying it can't get much worse, but it can. We could be in serious trouble if we hang around in League One, yet we could just as easily (steady on) get promoted, American owners take full control and things look rosy.

Dropping to League One was a chance to clear the decks (and the debts, which actually happened) and start again, in terms of playing personnel, staff, and even an actual club plan/philosophy. We sort of looked like doing that, but have just ended up in a mess again.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Super Frankie Binman
    Areas they have performed well in: The great quality he has is that unlike the legions of Italians and other 'cultured' managers we have had, he never goes for the safe option unless it is demonstrably prudent to do so. When you have people like Sarri, Conte, Ancelotti, even Ranieri in charge of your side (and obviously Mourinho is very much like this too), the styles of play may differ but the managerial approach is always identical - strive for tactical control, close the game down if you go a goal up, and never, EVER take any risks with selection. Lampard takes the opposite approach to this. He just says fuck it we're going to try things. A lot has worked, some hasn't, but as a supporter it makes the watching experience a lot more enjoyable.
    Any other comments: We are unbelievably, incredibly naive at times and that I think is a consequence of Lampard's managerial inexperience but to be honest this is just what you get when he takes the bold approach to managing a football side that he does, and I'm willing to live with it.
    Interesting stuff. Similar experience for us Brighton fans. I'm not really fussed if we finish 11th or 17th this season, the football is ten times more fun. There's so much more to football than results.

PS Any reason for so many Italian managers in the Abramovich era?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was written before Sunday's game against Spurs but that game turned out to be a great example of what I was talking about.

I don't know about the Italians, I think they are just seen as capable and knowledgeable managers in the same way Scots are (or used to be). Many are, of course, but there are good coaches of all nationalities and the dominant instinct in Italian football is still to use veteran players and to defend, even if (as in Sarri's case) the football on the face of it appears expansive.

Football is full of lazy stereotypes still and Italian managers is one of them, Everton quite possibly the latest victims as they take on Ancelotti more than ten years after we did and perhaps five years after his sell-by date.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Brighton and Hove Albion
    Expectations (at start of season): 13th. I went through the 20 teams and said, "Yeah, we can finish above them" and it might just happen that we finish 13th, but I got pretty much all of the table horribly wrong. It's been a fun season so far.
    View on performance: Good. It's a massive overhaul in terms of playing style and mentality and it's impressive how it's been fairly seamless.

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Graham Potter
    If I were in charge I'd sack them now (Yes/No): No.
    Areas they have performed well in: Coaching an entirely different style. We play a kind of football about as far removed from Hughton's as a team of our ability could possibly manage. Also changing the mentalities of players to go and try and win games even when a draw would be decent.

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: 3.5
    Best result of the season: 3-0 v Spurs at home, or 2-1 at Arsenal
    Best performance of the season: Spurs
    Worst result of the season: Losing 0-2 v Southampton at home
    Worst performance of the season: As above I guess, but Andone was sent off so let's blame him.
    Any other comments: What fun it is to be watching good football. I don't really care if we don't score that many goals relative to our possession and the impression that we're doing 'better' than the other team. Because either way it is more fun to watch your team have the ball than the opposition have it. At least that's always what I've thought. I used to love watching Gus Poyet's team and I was never that fussed if our centrebacks and Liam Bridcutt played seventeen passes between them before looking forward. The thing is a lot of our players were ready and waiting to play possession and positional football in the Prem. Lewis Dunk, Davy Propper, and Pascal Gross are all clever and technical and they must be so relieved. Potter will sort out the final third, I reckon.

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Mat Ryan
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Dan Burn. What a bizarre dude. A two metre tall rampaging centreback-cum-wingback overlapping and underlapping all over the place, showboating with Cruyff turns and apparently winning the most headers in the team.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: Neal Maupay
    Underperformer of the season: Everyone's been pretty good really.
    Any other comments: Aaron Connolly close runner up for pleasant surprise; he could be great. It's nice to have Yves Bissouma back and I think he could come to his own with the new style of play. Solly March was doing great before injury and he'll probably have another good run of form when he comes back.

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Maupay
    Worst signing this season: Not had a bad signing. Might have been the the best Prem-era window. Although we did get Ryan and Pascal Gross in the first one, so no probably not.
    In January I'd like to see us sign: A left wingback.
    In January I think we'll sign: Nobody, which is fine.
    I'd like to see us sell: Ali Jahanbakhsh if someone is up for paying decent money.
    I think we'll sell: Ali J might go out on loan.

My expectations: 13th
    What I think we'll achieve: So unpredictable, anywhere from 7th to 17th is doable.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brighton aren't finishing 7th. Not least because I'm going to attend a few more games over Christmas so you can write those off. I think I've been to 4 or 5 games this season and, off the top of my head, they've included West Ham, Southampton and Sheff Utd at the weekend. All dreadful. I see the improvement from afar, but in most regards those games were just as bad as shit era Hughton.

Dan Burn is a legend though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah probably a bit of a silly exaggeration, but who knows, Sheffield United are currently 5th and I don't think they're that much better than us to be honest.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Leicester City
    Expectations (at start of season): Seriously challenge top six and go far in cups.
    View on performance: Beyond expectations. Top four looking very possible and League Cup semi.
    Any other comments:

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Brendan Rodgers
    Areas they have performed well in: results/performance/bringing younger players/managing the squad/quality of football.
    Any other comments: he’s been brilliant and even in games where perhaps he’s got it slightly wrong I have complete confidence he’ll learn from it and improve.

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Best result of the season: 9-0 vs Southampton. Ok not the greatest side but the utter ruthlessness was wonderfully shocking to watch and made me really believe we have a proper side.
    Best performance of the season: Same.
    Worst result of the season: 1-0 away at Man Utd. Didn’t really turn up, pretty passive against a poor side.
    Worst performance of the season: same
    Any other comments:

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Wilfried Ndidi. Holds it all together, an absolute freak and absurdly consistent.
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Soyuncu has actually been an upgrade on Maguire when he looked like a talented but erratic prospect last year.
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: Jamie Vardy. Just an absolute icon.
    Underperformer of the season: Tielemans perhaps hasn’t hit the heights of last year but still good. None of the wingers have really nailed down a spot.
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: Away support is still flat. Tartan flask brigade not really going with this amazing season.
    Outright worst player of the season: Demarai Gray maybe. Hasn’t progressed. But that’s harsh, still has had his moments.
    Any other comments:

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Tielemans on a permanent deal.
    Worst signing this season: Perez hasn’t really been tearing it up but again has had his moments.
    In January I'd like to see us sign: A winger/wide forward who can find the net. Another centre back is a must in the summer so maybe jump the gun there as well.
    In January I think we'll sign: they’ll get a winger if the price is right.
    I'd like to see us sell: no one really
    I think we'll sell: a few loans for our good but quite old u23s.
    Any other comments:

My expectations: top four
    What I think we'll achieve: top four.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the support something that's happened since the title season? Like, they've been to the moon so everything's now disappointing? As for Perez, he finished last year really, really strongly but I never expected that form to continue. He seems like an odd man out.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The title win maybe has seen the home crowd be one of quiet expectancy rather than raucous support (although it certainly has its moments) but the away following has been rubbish since we got promoted really.

Perez I quite like. His pressing from the front is key for Rodgers but he just hasn’t contributed enough. Good player to have in the squad but we need a 10-12 goals and assists type to make the step up.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OVERVIEW:

My team is: Arsenal
    Expectations (at start of season): Top 5, run in a cup or two
    View on performance: Pathetic
    Any other comments: Meh. I've been to every home game since September and will continue to go, but fuck me if it doesn't feel like money down the drain. Not so much the results - I'm pragmatic about that... But the performances and the lack of empathy I have for 75% of the squad and the former manager... Horrific.

MANAGER:

My team's manager is: Mike Arteta / Unai Emery
    Rating out of 5: 5 for his press conference I guess, and his immaculate hair and jawline. 1, it would be 0, but for him garnering points for his class and decorum since being sacked. Good guy, awful spell for him.
    If I were in charge I'd sack them now (Yes/No): Bit early, tbf / I'd have pulled the trigger a fortnight earlier at least
    Areas they have performed well in: Hair styling, talking / Errr
    Any other comments: As stated before, I'm quite the pragmatist and have in the past been derided for my lack of ambition/stating Arsenal are not historically a club that has constant success but instead stints and cycles of competing with the northern powerhouses every 15 or so years... Yes, I know that's not very Sky Premier League era fandom, but it's where I'm at... I'm ok with us being 10th or whatever. But the manager had to go - there's by his own words he could not find a way to get the team to work together or a style that we could pull off in any kind of manner that might indicate progress or a better future. Nice guy mind, also suffered from his lack of English.

I'm looking forward to Arteta's reign. It'll be a learning curve no doubt, but he's making the right noises and is highly regarded by Wenger/Guardiola and Emery himself.

TEAM PERFORMANCE:

Rating out of 5: 1, the 1 earned only for some of the Europa games the kids bossed around
    Best result of the season: Drawing with Spurs?
    Best performance of the season: The 5 minutes vs West Ham when we scored 3, the 5 minutes against Vitoria we scored 2 in, or 5-0 vs a depleted Forest team in a game they'd written off.
    Worst result of the season: Much harder question. Probably the loss to Southampton.
    Worst performance of the season: Take your pick
    Any other comments: Abysmal

PLAYER PERFORMANCE:

Overall player of the season: Aubameyang, I guess... Closely followed by Leno
    Pleasant surprise of the season: Bernd Leno continues his consistent form
    The Didier Drogba Award for big game player of the season: There are none
    Underperformer of the season: Everyone except Bernd Leno, Martinelli, Saka and Aubameyang. Pepe I guess with the pricetag, or Ozil as the most natural gifted player I've seen at Arsenal, but who is total and shit over the course of 90 mins
    The Phil Jones Award for Unsurprising Ineptitude: Fuck me, do I really need to single out folk for these? Xhaka I guess
    Outright worst player of the season: Sokratis has been a fucking bombscare
    Any other comments: They're all shit

TRANSFER PERFORMANCE:

Best signing this season: Martinelli
    Worst signing this season: Luiz, probably... Pepe if value comes into it
    Rating out of 5: 2.5, still see potential
    In January I'd like to see us sign: Does it matter? I like Ndidi links, I like the Upacameno links
    In January I think we'll sign: Someone very Meh
    I'd like to see us sell: Xhaka, Sokratis, Kolasinac for the first wave
    I think we'll sell: One of the above
    Any other comments: Still maintain it was a good summer in terms of bolstering some areas that needed it. Coach made a bad job of working with the talent and there's too much imbalance still, but only Ramsey's departure hurt us and he didn't play for 2 thirds of last season, so we shouldn't blame the transfer activity for our issues

My expectations: Top 8
    What I think we'll achieve: 8th on goal difference
    Last edited by The Merse; 24-12-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Interesting stuff. Similar experience for us Brighton fans. I'm not really fussed if we finish 11th or 17th this season, the football is ten times more fun. There's so much more to football than results.
    Precisely what I'm hoping for under Arteta. I keep saying 'Chelsea are having the year we should be having' (given the similar number of youngsters, lack of outright expectation, dodgy left backs etc).

Brighton played us off the park, and at least it was one of the more pleasant of the games we've failed to make a mark on - I like Potter as a midlander, his time at Swansea (my mates there rave about him) and his time at Ostersunds as the modern day that beat us in an ultimately meaningless match but enjoyable one, nonetheless. Hoping for big things for him.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post
    Precisely what I'm hoping for under Arteta. I keep saying 'Chelsea are having the year we should be having' (given the similar number of youngsters, lack of outright expectation, dodgy left backs etc).

Brighton played us off the park, and at least it was one of the more pleasant of the games we've failed to make a mark on - I like Potter as a midlander, his time at Swansea (my mates there rave about him) and his time at Ostersunds as the modern day that beat us in an ultimately meaningless match but enjoyable one, nonetheless. Hoping for big things for him.
    I'd be really hopeful if I was an Arsenal fan. Everyone who's met Arteta seems to have said about how good a coach he is, as well as his leadership etc. Nick Ames kept praising his 'aura' on Football Weekly. Might turn out to be a load of meaningless balls but I think he'll have a much bigger impact than Emery.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I'd like to see us sell: Ali Jahanbakhsh if someone is up for paying decent money.
    I think we'll sell: Ali J might go out on loan.
    Keep him forever.