User Tag List

Page 20 of 239 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 11935

Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much the same way you've just responded to a tweet and a Facebook post with a TTH post, I'd imagine.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    @Henry Obama managed to beat Hillary handily in both delegates and super delegates. The difference is Obama did not ignore them and the first thing he did was put together a plan to win them. He also did not just ignore parts of the country.

Is it possible that it is not a fix and instead is a vote for someone who has raised money for them, introduced legislation, worked hard for down ticket candidates even after they have lost the presidential primary, and who does more than comment on legislation other people create? Or should they naturally be inclined to vote for someone who can't introduce and get legislation passed, who has no track record of helping other people get elected or ....

Spoonsky is right. Your lack or unwillingness to compete in all aspects of the race is your fault. For both candidates. If she loses he deserves to win.
    My highlighting. That's rigging in my view. She's bought them.
    I'm not sure what "parts of the country" you're suggesting that the superdelegates represent. There are primaries in each state for that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @HenryIs it possible that it is not a fix and instead is a vote for someone who has raised money for them, introduced legislation, worked hard for down ticket candidates even after they have lost the presidential primary, and who does more than comment on legislation other people create? Or should they naturally be inclined to vote for someone who can't introduce and get legislation passed, who has no track record of helping other people get elected or ....
    ...isn't part of the establishment. Sorry, but the fact that Hilary as been at the heart of a shit system for three decades counts against her not for her. Endorsements for her should be seen for what they really are. She would 'get things done' in the same way Obama has, by starting negotiations from the centre and ultimately allowing the Republicans to dictate terms. It would a hint towards change but nothing more, and economically it would be absolutely 100% the same shite that has failed for four decades.

Also worth noting when dismissing Bernie's ideas as impractical that he's managed to get more amendments to Republican bills than any other senator.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Bernie' wouldn't even have to negotiate with the Republicans. Did you see how many people went to his last campaign rally?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah yeah. What about the fact he HATES ISRAEL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Just realized it was Vim who shared that shit.
    Hello.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    'Bernie' wouldn't even have to negotiate with the Republicans. Did you see how many people went to his last campaign rally?
    Exactly. Once we the people (well, them the people) rise then whatever the Republican senators think becomes irrelevant.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I'm not sure what "parts of the country" you're suggesting that the superdelegates represent. There are primaries in each state for that.
    Sorry, I meant that his campaign decided they were losing the South so they did not really campaign there and lost big, which is the margin now. And by your narrow definition Obama rigged the election as well because he raised money for the whole party and Bernie has too if he has ever attended a fundraiser for Elizabeth Warren.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I meant that his campaign decided they were losing the South so they did not really campaign there and lost big, which is the margin now. And by your narrow definition Obama rigged the election as well because he raised money for the whole party and Bernie has too if he has ever attended a fundraiser for Elizabeth Warren.
    I doubt Obama had the same decisive superdelegate support that Clinton has.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davgooner View Post
    ...isn't part of the establishment. Sorry, but the fact that Hilary as been at the heart of a shit system for three decades counts against her not for her. Endorsements for her should be seen for what they really are. She would 'get things done' in the same way Obama has, by starting negotiations from the centre and ultimately allowing the Republicans to dictate terms. It would a hint towards change but nothing more, and economically it would be absolutely 100% the same shite that has failed for four decades.

Also worth noting when dismissing Bernie's ideas as impractical that he's managed to get more amendments to Republican bills than any other senator.
    You mean like increasing the tax rate on millionaires by 3% to bring the budget into surplus, have new money for the first major infrastructure project in 40 years, reinvest in schools for the first time in a generation, and start a serious discussion and move toward resource sustainability? Jerry Brown has done all of that in California by changing the democratic establishment and even working with companies when he has to. If he were running, I would vote for him. I am not interested in Bernie because he does not understand how to play well with others and no amount of saying cool shit on tv changes that. Oh, and nice jab with the Jew - Isreal bit. Ain't it shit when us ethnics are uppity.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Play well with others'.

I suppose this is almost a referendum on Obama's tenure: continued small-scale change within the context of corporate politics, or a real fundamental change across the board. It's depressing that some people seem to have been convinced the former is the only viable option.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is another bloke promising big changes that you could vote for.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's America. 'Corporate politics' is why it exists.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any problem with the parties picking their leaders non-democratically, and don't actually see why they should be obliged to do otherwise.

The general election is the only part that is obligated to be democratic, surely. The rest is internal party matters. Heck, in Australia and the UK, we don't get a say at all in who the party picks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    She hasn't bought them. Clinton has been actively involved in Democratic party politics for decades. She has put in 'hard yards' campaigning for its candidates, and has represented the party in the Senate. Compare that to Sanders, who has openly and repeatedly rejected the label of "Democrat", and openly stated that he's proud of being an independent. He only signed up last year, and that was clearly to facilitate this run under the Democratic banner. A cynic would suggest that, if the personalities were reversed, Clinton would be accused of 'piggy-backing' on the Democratic party to make a run for the White House.

So I suppose the question is: what do you expect the Democratic Party's super delegates to do, exactly? She hasn't bought them. I don't like Clinton at all, but she hasn't bought them, nor rigged anything. Sanders is merely facing the consequences for decades of asserting his independence. That's absolutely fine when you're the independent Senator for Vermont, but it's a bit off when you want to become the Democratic representative for the presidential election.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By their nature they're establishment figures whose existence is meant to act as a roadblock to a more liberal candidate like Sanders, though it's worth remembering that most of them also pledged for her in 2008 only to switch later once Obama rolled her. The media keep showing the delegate count with them included which is fucking infuriating.

She hasn't bought them in a literal sense, but the draw of the Clintons is not about rewarding their 'hard yards'. They've taken more than a billion dollars between them in their career and at this point are powerful in Washington beyond belief; they have the power to make or break people and there's been some great articles detailing how that process is working in this campaign and in general. For a lot of people it's about ending up on the right side of them going forward, be that politicians or media figures.

On the race, it's really all on New York now.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    California is also a big deal isn't it?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    California is a huge deal for the Republicans. If Trump loses it, then they're probably going to the convention.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    I don't have any problem with the parties picking their leaders non-democratically, and don't actually see why they should be obliged to do otherwise.

The general election is the only part that is obligated to be democratic, surely. The rest is internal party matters. Heck, in Australia and the UK, we don't get a say at all in who the party picks.
    The Labour Party opened its voting to all members during the previous leadership contest. Not strictly "the general public", but still somewhat democratic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it ends in a contested convention on the Republican side then that is going to be some primetime shit. Paul Ryan keeps denying he has any interest in being the candidate, though simultaneously released a campaign ad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By their nature they're establishment figures whose existence is meant to act as a roadblock to a more liberal candidate like Sanders, though it's worth remembering that most of them also pledged for her in 2008 only to switch later once Obama rolled her. The media keep showing the delegate count with them included which is fucking infuriating.

She hasn't bought them in a literal sense, but the draw of the Clintons is not about rewarding their 'hard yards'. They've taken more than a billion dollars between them in their career and at this point are powerful in Washington beyond belief; they have the power to make or break people and there's been some great articles detailing how that process is working in this campaign and in general. For a lot of people it's about ending up on the right side of them going forward, be that politicians or media figures.

On the race, it's really all on New York now.
    The super delegates switching to Obama demonstrates that many wouldn't be prepared to go against the voters. Obama took a majority during the campaign, and they recognised this and switched. That's how it should work where you have two sensible and electable candidates. As you say, they can be deployed to swing a nomination one way or the other. The American nomination process allows independents or non-registered citizens to vote in some states, and they therefore do need to make sure that there is a control in place to prevent some lunatic getting the nomination. Ultimately the party's goal is to nominate an electable candidate and win the White House, and if they see a clearly unelectable candidate then I don't think it's unreasonable for them to 'step in'. I would say the Republicans probably wished they had super delegates right now, whilst a British example is the Labour membership electing Corbyn (let's not get into that here) despite significant opposition from the PLP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it ends in a contested convention on the Republican side then that is going to be some primetime shit. Paul Ryan keeps denying he has any interest in being the candidate, though simultaneously released a campaign ad.
    He'd probably be a decent compromise candidate. Trump gets hammered in November, whilst Cruz probably loses respectably. Ryan/Kasich might be competitive as a ticket, albeit it's still difficult to see past a Clinton win.

I'm a big fan of Kasich of the idea of getting Kasich on the ticket. If you assume the standard breaks in the election, it's probably going to come down to three or four swing states - Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania. Kasich at least wins you one off the bat.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    The super delegates switching to Obama demonstrates that many wouldn't be prepared to go against the voters. Obama took a majority during the campaign, and they recognised this and switched. That's how it should work where you have two sensible and electable candidates. As you say, they can be deployed to swing a nomination one way or the other. The American nomination process allows independents or non-registered citizens to vote in some states, and they therefore do need to make sure that there is a control in place to prevent some lunatic getting the nomination. Ultimately the party's goal is to nominate an electable candidate and win the White House, and if they see a clearly unelectable candidate then I don't think it's unreasonable for them to 'step in'. I would say the Republicans probably wished they had super delegates right now, whilst a British example is the Labour membership electing Corbyn (let's not get into that here) despite significant opposition from the PLP.
    I agree on all of that, and if Bernie topples the popular vote, then I'd imagine they'd switch. Hence why counting them when the race is still alive is bumf. Also, on the electable angle, the polling suggests he's much more electable than she is as has been for months now.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are we diddling with this?

Are we getting closer to a Great Wall of Meccico?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. He's lost a bit of ground and the Party is getting ready to do him over at the convention.

Scenes, Yev. Scenes.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's going to be one hell of a seethe from him if that's the case.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it happened and there wasn't significant violence at the convention then I'd be disappointed. If they manage to get guns in...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll just stand as an independent and completely fuck their chances of winning the presidency, won't he?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, he's dropped his pledge to support the nominee.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree on all of that, and if Bernie topples the popular vote, then I'd imagine they'd switch. Hence why counting them when the race is still alive is bumf. Also, on the electable angle, the polling suggests he's much more electable than she is as has been for months now.
    That polling is a nonsense given Clinton has spent 30 years being publicly attacked, whereas the Republicans haven't even bothered lacing the gloves against Bernie. His numbers may hold up should he win and they start attacking his *very* lefty record, of course, but they may also very much not.

If Bernie takes a significant delegate lead, there's no question that the superdelegates will have to consider switching, but that scenario remains a remote possibility at present. Even if he can fight to even - unlikely, but possible - I suspect Clinton's work for the party over the last three decades will see her over the line, as well as the entirely legitimate concerns that Sanders' record won't stand up to strong attacks in the election itself.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    The Labour Party opened its voting to all members during the previous leadership contest. Not strictly "the general public", but still somewhat democratic.
    Which is a fair way to pick a leader, but I don't see any particularly necessary reason for parties to choose their leaders in a democratic fashion. Parties aren't democracies, I figure.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kasich is shit, only made look ok by the fact that he is surrounded by full-on nutters. Paul Ryan doesn't have much going for him either, he would get crushed.

I think Cruz would done Clinton senseless during the debates. She chimps out everyone calls her out on, well, anything.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul Ryan is a creepy weirdo he's the new Eric Cantor, the moment he appears on screen you can tell he's an awful bastard.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Which is a fair way to pick a leader, but I don't see any particularly necessary reason for parties to choose their leaders in a democratic fashion. Parties aren't democracies, I figure.
    No, but given the two-party system in the US and how apologists for how third-parties are so poorly treated claim that the two main parties are "big tents" which are more diverse than European parties, the primaries are in practice a major part of national politics. So it's unfortunate.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.25 onward. Pretty good rant.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just horrid screeching and shouting over each other. Also when did Fox so overtly start referring to Republicans as 'we'?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    It's just horrid screeching and shouting over each other. Also when did Fox so overtly start referring to Republicans as 'we'?
    1) It's MSNBC
    2) It states her job title, she was the Director of Communications for George Dubya.
    3) Morning Joe sucks

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why I did I think it was Fox? Did that lady presenter used to present Fox? Either way, it's all trash.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She looks a teeny tiny bit like Megyn Kelly I guess?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Megan Kelly's grandmother, perhaps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bernaldo getting thwacked in New York means he's basically down to needing a miracle.

Trump's doing as well as expected, which still isn't quite good enough to get a majority, and Cruz is whipping him at delegate organisation so Trump's support will likely evaporate after the first convention vote.

Smart money would currently be for a Cruz - Clinton contest.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elth View Post
    Bernaldo getting thwacked in New York means he's basically down to needing a miracle.

Trump's doing as well as expected, which still isn't quite good enough to get a majority, and Cruz is whipping him at delegate organisation so Trump's support will likely evaporate after the first convention vote.

Smart money would currently be for a Cruz - Clinton contest.
    You are retarded.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the sort of insightful political analysis you just can't get anywhere else, people.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cruz managed to get beaten by a guy who's not even running in multiple districts

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get 14/1 on Cruz and his world-beatingly awful face stepping into Air Force One come January. Is that value?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I can get 14/1 on Cruz and his world-beatingly awful face stepping into Air Force One come January. Is that value?
    I'd say so.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of a mauling that, sadly.

What happened to Deez Nuts? There's a fallback candidate right there.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So which one of you is going to adopt me when PRESIDENT TrUMP! is running my country.

I make a mean peanut butter and jelly and am fairly neat.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's jam you idiot.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he makes jelly he's in, tbh.