Page 16 of 382 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate WWE Thread

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Hopefully. He should never have come back after the Lesnar match.
    I disagree in that he shouldn't have come back. He probably should have ended it before the next WrestleMania though.

Repeat what happened at the show of shows and have Lesnar win then go after the title, every time he gets close the lights go out and he's laid out courtesy of The Undertaker. Lesnar flips, says he'll kill The Undertaker etc etc, Taker' does his usual shtick, buried alive match only Bray Wyatt should have been the one filling the whole as the new face of darkness or whatever which would have led to Lesnar v Wyatt for some silly reason.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I was going to edit that post afterwards to say "He should never have come back to Wrestlemania". Who the fuck cares about him facing Bray Wyatt now the streak is dead?

I had no problem with him continuing the Lesnar feud, but he shouldn't be at WM anymore. Making people job to him at WM just leads to a position where he has to lose there again so he can "go out on his back", which he will because he's old school.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wyatt would have been facing Lesnar. The Undertaker would never have reappeared after being buried alive.

I can almost imagine Heyman coming out with his client Brrrrrock Lesnarrrr and telling us how the streak is dead and so now is The Undertaker.

Cue Wyatt family coming out.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youtube suggested I watch this today, a promo and match I like a lot but had totally forgotten about.

"You got a cool costume, you got a cool mask, you're seven feet tall and you don't fight crime? Whatsupwitdat?!"

*squash*

The powerbomb, as well.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping on his knees. Then, now, forever.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's got to be years since the last time he took a non-knee bump now hasn't it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ProWrestlingSheet.com is reporting that Wade Barrett has given notice to WWE. According to sources, Barrett will not be signing a new contract when it expires in a few months. It's believed that his contract expires in June and it's unknown what he has planned once he leaves the company.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next Bond.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming he's planning to go somewhere that will actually use him fair play to him. Would have been easier to just keep taking the money and jobbing on Raw every so often.

Speaking of which, Raw was booked in very peculiar fashion. I didn't hate any of it especially (though assuming the Wyatts get booked against Kane/ Show/ Ryback that's a transparent and lulzy bit of booking) it was just all done in a really odd order for the last Raw before a PPV. Almost like they got the script and show order the wrong way round.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only read the results but something seemed off about it to me too. Maybe it was Strowman main eventing though. Don't get me wrong, it's good to actually have a match end a show. I'm shocked it wasn't the Ambrose/Reigns/Lesnar fiasco.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do people still blame John Cena for ruining Wade Barrett? Because it's been five years and he's still pretty crap.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time I went to a live WWE event Barrett cut a promo about Toothpaste, so anything is an improvement on that. Taking that into account I think Don Cena probably made him.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He isn't a particularly good wrestler (nor big enough to compensate for that), his voice is stupid because he has to emm-pha-siize evv-ry ssy-lla-ble so that Americans can understand him, and he has had a load of bollocks gimmicks. It's got to be a much easier life roughing people up in straight-to-video action films.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barrett was doing pretty well at the height of his #BNB gimmick. It was going well and was decently over, getting him near the upper mid-card. Usual murmurings of an upcoming push. But then he got injured and was out for a few months.

They tried to get some attention back by making him KOTR. But adopting the 'King' gimmick has never really worked out well for anyone.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Do people still blame John Cena for ruining Wade Barrett? Because it's been five years and he's still pretty crap.
    Is it because he's actually crap or because they've booked him like a twat for the last however many years?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably both, since he's seemingly not made any sort of impression with his five(?) Intercontinental Title runs.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the amount of time he's injured they must be hesitant to give him any kind of push. His current 'foreign man who doesn't touch anyone' is about as good as it'll get for him.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Barrett was doing pretty well at the height of his #BNB gimmick. It was going well and was decently over, getting him near the upper mid-card. Usual murmurings of an upcoming push. But then he got injured and was out for a few months.

They tried to get some attention back by making him KOTR. But adopting the 'King' gimmick has never really worked out well for anyone.
    Maybe not lately but it used to be a big deal. I would say the two latest who made it work were Regal (briefly before he got suspended) and of course Booker T. Back on the day though it really did help people, it's only recently where it's turned into something you win so you can job all the time.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin being the prime example.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WWE have announced that there will be a Cruiserweight Tournament over the summer, on the WWE Network, called the WWE Global Cruiserweight Series.

It's looking like there'll be 32 competitors, from across the globe, weighing under 205lbs (remember when Matt Hardy had to get down to 240 to feud with Rey Mysterio at Wrestlemania 19?) with the matches taking place at the NXT place.

Could be good if they can get some quality talent in, no names have been mentioned so far.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Chris Candido going for the Cruiserweight title in WCW when he was mostly hormones.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stone Cold's interview with Big Show was interesting, not least because of how he (successfully) justifies his position and constant face/heel turns. His impressions are pretty good as well.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to listen to that, Big Show comes across well in interviews I've seen. His Heyman impression (can't remember whether it was in the Heyman doc or Big Show's own) is hilarious.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had absolutely zero interest in wrestling since Y2K was a thing but I ended up listening to a podcast or two (I think it was the Paul Heyman interviews) and Stone Cold Steve Austin cutting a promo on the rats chewing out the wire of his chevy truck, his bronco and his polaris rangers was probably funnier than any stand-up comedy bit I've ever seen.

edit: found it

Genuinely one of the best things ever.

edit2: 'At the Rattlesnake ranch in Texas I probably got the most... athletic rats in the world'

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Maybe not lately but it used to be a big deal. I would say the two latest who made it work were Regal (briefly before he got suspended) and of course Booker T. Back on the day though it really did help people, it's only recently where it's turned into something you win so you can job all the time.
    Yeah back in the day it was a worthwhile exercise. It was it's own PPV if I'm remembering right and having it once a year gave the winner something to see them through 5/6 months.

Now it only seems to pop up on RAW when they need someone to win it for the sake of having the gimmick. It's not even with any kind of regularity either.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't how long it's been like it but someone has mildly defaced the Owen Hart wiki page.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I have had absolutely zero interest in wrestling since Y2K was a thing but I ended up listening to a podcast or two (I think it was the Paul Heyman interviews) and Stone Cold Steve Austin cutting a promo on the rats chewing out the wire of his chevy truck, his bronco and his polaris rangers was probably funnier than any stand-up comedy bit I've ever seen.

edit: found it

Genuinely one of the best things ever.

edit2: 'At the Rattlesnake ranch in Texas I probably got the most... athletic rats in the world'
    That's where you done crossed the line mister.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got to the big reveal of Vince as the Greater Power.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the great moments in Raw history, that. Jim Ross' 'aww son of a bitch' reaction cracks me up every single time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just flicked past Smackdown and Jericho seems to be morphing into old man Ric Flair by the day.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've become a big A.J. Styles fan since I realised that his Southern rasslin' voice reminds me of Jeff Jarrett.

'Broke six-thousand necks; never drew a dime.'

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a shame when stopped spelling his name every time he came out.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to the main event and not much else. Two divas matches, Owens and Ziggler in their 78th match of the year, Bray's mates against some cobbled-together opposition and Chris Jericho's moobs vs. AJ Styles.

Meh.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually watch these at my friend's house (he has THE NETWORK), but he's blown me out because his sisters are arguing. I said I wasn't bothered because we're adults, but no.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ziggler vs Owens is the stand out match there, I might watch that tomorrow.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have zero interest in anything up to Styles. He should win that as Y2J is now Y2Jobber to new talent.

The Divas match is annoying as Brie will win and it'll be because her fella retired a few weeks ago.

Ziggler v Owens has been done to death and neither really wins there. A strongly booked Owens losing unluckily or shenanigans and then going on to the top tier would be a good thing.

The main event could be so, so good, but the Wyatts will pull Lesnar out before he gets to the ring, or shortly after. From there it's only going to be Reigns. Vince thinks he has the look and he's a BIG GUY and what he says goes.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile I've just watched Umaga (UNBEATEN! Unless you remember he was Jamal...) vs. Cena at New Year's Revolution 2007. Umaga owed Cena a pint after that one.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on Stone Cold vs Undertaker at Fully Loaded 99, If Austin wins then Vince has to retire so I think we know which way this will go. After that maybe some Raw or a few more early NWO Nitros, I understand it goes to shit later but at this point (early 97) it's not bad.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Meanwhile I've just watched Umaga (UNBEATEN! Unless you remember he was Jamal...) vs. Cena at New Year's Revolution 2007. Umaga owed Cena a pint after that one.
    It's like how John Cena has never given up......unless you remember those times against Angle and Benoit when he did.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You been watching full Raw episodes, Disco? I've not done much of that yet.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reigns isn't even that big in the grand scheme of things, he just has a Look and is big/strong enough to get away with being booked like a monster.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You been watching full Raw episodes, Disco? I've not done much of that yet.
    I started at Raw episode one and I've skipped a lot of the low and mid-card matches but I've seen at least part of each one so far. When it gets into 99 then the standard improves dramatically, there's normally some shit involving Boss Man or Jeff Jarret that I don't care about though. It's interesting to see the things that never took off (or were always doomed to failure), for example they just debuted Beaver Cleavage and have been using a guy called Meat as part of PMS (Goldusts' wife and some other uncomfortably large boobed woman).

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reigns isn't even that big in the grand scheme of things, he just has a Look and is big/strong enough to get away with being booked like a monster.
    You'd think they would have learned by now that if you want to book someone as a main face they actually have to get themselves over properly first. Die Rocky Die springs to mind.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "A guy called Meat"? That's Planet Stasiak, show some damned respect.

Once I'm done with the WWE PPVs (I've said before I'm not watching every match, just the ones I fancy or that reviews have as worth watching) I'll do the same for WCW and ECW. I may eventually get round to watch more of the Raws, Nitros, etc.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    This whole big guy thing is bollocks and has been for years.
    There are occasional guys who are sub 6 foot tall, breaking through. Punk and Bryan the most recent examples, but for every one of them there's a Great Khali or Braun Strowman to come along.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even Rollins who's just over 6ft was booked to look like a mongo half the time while he was champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    You'd think they would have learned by now that if you want to book someone as a main face they actually have to get themselves over properly first. Die Rocky Die springs to mind.
    They got some mileage out of having Vincent KENNEDY McMahon be the antagonist for a few weeks and some of the heat went when he didn't win last 'Mania but they have to be a bit concerned as to what happens if/when he beats HHH.