Page 223 of 237 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233 ... LastLast
Results 11,101 to 11,150 of 11840

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    They literally don't care, they just look on a spreadsheet, see that we had a $100,000 order from there in 2018 or something that hasn't been repeated, and say 'Bru, we're losing business, get your orse over there'.

I told him he should refuse to go, he's the biggest yes man ever so will probably go anyway.
    My wife was nearly going to start working got some Lebanese fine wine merchant and he was saying to her to come and do the onboarding in Beirut "it's the safest city in the world don't believe the media".

She didn't take the job.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could have added a new nationality though.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am basically from Lebanon at this point.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    My wife was nearly going to start working got some Lebanese fine wine merchant and he was saying to her to come and do the onboarding in Beirut "it's the safest city in the world don't believe the media".

She didn't take the job.
    As I'm discovering with my Iraqi/Jordanian colleague, people from that part of the world adore a bullshit exaggeration. Another way of putting it would be that they're addicted to lying, but I'm generous to all colours and creeds so I would never make such an allegation.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got a higher tolerance for spice than Lemon and Herb. Fucking following gov.uk travel advice

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of lemon and herb, went out for dinner with new starter last week and she suggested Nando’s. Ick. We ended up in wagamamas which wasn’t much better, but get lost with Nando’s come on.

Went the pub just now after work. I got bitter, she got gin, and everyone else got pop.

Honestly there’s no romance but she’s just fucking sound. Can’t wait to act like a drunken dickhead on Friday at my Christmas do, knowing she’ll be bouncing around the dancefloor with me too for a change.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost as boring as it is creepy now lad.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree actually
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our work Christmas on Friday (was mad fun actually) but now my entire team appears to be ill which explain why I wasn’t feeling great this morning.

Everyone was jealous (or scathing) of my pink fizzy cider drink choice through the day.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our Christmas lunch today. I'm still full. Even the starters were MASSIVE.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Night before my appraisal was due my head emailed asking for my evidence as I'd asked to move up a point on the upper pay scale. I hadn't been collating this, so chucked a load of stuff in a folder and sent it through, fully expecting to be rejected. Got the letter today to say it was awarded, so just shy of the 40% threshold now. Boom.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had my annual review. Nothing says you're being managed by private equity vampires more than being given a bonus of Ł1,479.18 (down from last year's two grand exactly).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'll be less than a bag of sand after tax. You should have set fire to the letter in an act of defiance. Bonus should go up as you gain importance in the company.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it was pretty funny as a conversation. MD and sales director both agreed I'd had a great year, put loads in and added value. The latter even went as far as to say he'd really enjoyed working with me. Then it comes to money, and the MD starts giving it 'Oh, well, you see, we've been able to make a profit this year by cutting costs, but, you know, I've got friends who haven't had a bonus at all this year because their companies aren't doing very well, so we're lucky to be in a position to afford bonuses and payrises'.

They have given me France, however, much in the way that a medieval peace treaty might give you Aquitaine. Lands and titles.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might try that in FM.

"Sorry lads, I know we won the treble last year, but poor Luton are on their knees "

*clicks low win bonus in all competitions*
    Last edited by Spikey M; 14-12-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife's spot handed out bonuses yesterday then immediately sent out emails strongly hinting there will be no more bonuses in future, top morale management

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting some extra esops for my good work this year which is a bit like some magic beans as the company may never reach the valuation when it floats.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first reading I thought that meant you were getting some face cream.
    Last edited by niko_cee; 14-12-2023 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got told we're probably going to have to start paying for parking as our Christmas bonus

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife got a voucher for the staff canteen.

The seethe on the hospital Facebook page over it is incredible.

We actually get nothing for Christmas as our bonuses come in February and July (fuck knows). Open bar tomorrow night though.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to get Ł50 love to shop vouchers. Then it was Ł30. Then it was just a card. Recently some people have recieved an empty envelope . Now they just do a digital one for green points and give a few hampers away to the plebs, under the guise of festive fun.

Out of interest, anyone have a large number of freemasons working at their spot/prevalent in their industry?

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get vouchers through one of those work reward schemes that is at our managers discretion (I've had made Ł150-worth this year) but no actual bonus.

I've possibly told this story before but when I worked at Vodafone in the first year our potential bonus was based on Vodafone UK's profit for the year and then modified by how your manager reated your performance on a 1-5 scale with 1 being the lowest (actually it was based on an acronym called PIGEX, but in essence it was a 1-5.) That year my manager rated me highly and gave me a 4 (or E) and that netted me a whopping Ł23. My manager even took me into a room and handed me the envelope as if this was a big deal.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get given an extra hour for our mandatory* team lunch that we pay for ourselves.

*it may or may not be mandatory. It certainly feels it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Arab went upstairs for his appraisal and demanded that the MD move to a different chair on the meeting table so that he could sit where he was, then sulked when he refused. The guy is just beyond parody these days.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope they knocked 50% off his bonus for that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry Jim, at least it's statistically likely the Saffa's are paying Barney's replacement way below what he was netting.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't start me on her. It's the do tomorrow which is a lunch in a pub. For some reason she's got it into her head that it's a PARTY, or PARTY-PARTY! as she keeps saying, detailing how she wants to go OUT OUT afterwards, telling us about the party dress she's going to wear. I hope that some crap paté starter and a perfunctory chat with Rob from accounts will be a decent second prize for her. The ear-to-ear vacancy is stacking up like one of those Irish ghost suburbs.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got $50 this week to thank me for my five years of loyal service to the university.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, I know you know this but you could probably double your earnings if you went elsewhere.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Jim, I know you know this but you could probably double your earnings if you went elsewhere.
    The anecdote quality would go down massively though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    We used to get Ł50 love to shop vouchers. Then it was Ł30. Then it was just a card. Recently some people have recieved an empty envelope . Now they just do a digital one for green points and give a few hampers away to the plebs, under the guise of festive fun.

Out of interest, anyone have a large number of freemasons working at their spot/prevalent in their industry?
    No but I do have a few mates who are in the Wanky Handshake Gang.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    The anecdote quality would go down massively though.
    We thought that when he left the Koreans and we were wrong. Who knows what kind of monsters he'd end up employed by in his next role.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what I'm sure is a shocking twist, we do not get any kind of bonus. Even the mention of the "B word" is met with a response of "Your bonus is that you get to be employed over Christmas. Others aren't so lucky."

There is always an unspecified amount set aside each year for a Christmas party by the company. You then have to buy a ticket to attend... However two years ago they changed tune. Strangely, turnout from shop floor staff to the party is always very poor and we just cannot understand why that may be. They chose to order what I can only describe as the smallest 'hamper' box en masse for the staff with the money instead. Extremely proud of it they were. Proper look how good these will be for weeks. They've even got a Yankee Candle in!
    Then they turned up. They were tiny unmarked rectangular shaped boxes, with a lot of torn paper in them. Mine contained a can of ginger beer, a packet of crisps, a small packet of coffee bags, a candy cane and a Yankee Candle that was smaller than a tea light candle is. They were that bad that the staff(barely above living wage) refused to take them.
    Late into January they still had pallets of them and then told the staff they could buy an extra one for Ł5.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Xmas bonus for me but our work event was a vouchered affair and I didn’t end up buying a drink until heading into town.

Office canteen lunch today though which was absolutely top drawer and free.

3 working days left…

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I don't know how to put this without sounding tragic but, you know, I don't have kids and I'm not going to have them, so once I'm at comfortable existence level (which I am) then life is about extracting whatever passes for enjoyment from each day. I get that through aspects of the job (particularly the travel) and also the other things in life that having this job opens up for me. If I have to put a suit on, make my face all shiny, commute to London and speak in corporate jargon to get a bigger number then I just don't think that's going to happen. I'd rather go for the number on my terms, safe in the knowledge that if it goes tits up I have a skillset and a base intelligence that with a fair wind could, even at a more advanced age I think, go almost anywhere and do almost anything.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the same. I've mentioned a couple of times lately about the Saudis ("The Line") poaching blokes from my job. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that I could get a job there if I wanted to. But to me, I'm not going to bake in the sand for eight weeks out of every ten and stay out of the country for >270 days to dodge the tax. Ł20k per month sounds great but I'm not missing my daughter growing up. No money can replace that.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d take that in a heartbeat
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre-covid the decidedly more cuddly Canada was the place to go and seek gold in rail contracting, not sure if that's still the case but it was worth people going a fortnight at a time flying business both ways. If I could ever rouse myself from this torpor of comfortable WFH I might consider it

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A guy at our place (consultant) lives in Thailand and flies back after every rotation (I think he has a 20-8 pattern or something like that).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah if you could fathom a crap working schedule you’d think living in some Asian cheap place would be the way to do that.

Not for me though. Sorry aramco I’m sticking where I am.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I don't know how to put this without sounding tragic but, you know, I don't have kids and I'm not going to have them, so once I'm at comfortable existence level (which I am) then life is about extracting whatever passes for enjoyment from each day. I get that through aspects of the job (particularly the travel) and also the other things in life that having this job opens up for me. If I have to put a suit on, make my face all shiny, commute to London and speak in corporate jargon to get a bigger number then I just don't think that's going to happen. I'd rather go for the number on my terms, safe in the knowledge that if it goes tits up I have a skillset and a base intelligence that with a fair wind could, even at a more advanced age I think, go almost anywhere and do almost anything.
    I get it and that’s why I said I know you’ll know this. Money is important, but two more important things are happiness and time and if you’re winning at those, you continue to do you.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christmas Do tonight and some creepy German fella in our team kept touching my cute little sidekick, and because we’ve such a good relationship, she kept coming to me for reassurance. In the end we got in a taxi and told him to go home, went 30 seconds down the road and stayed out for another hour discussing our lives. Fuck you Max you absolute sleaze.

Felt like I’d engineered the whole situation but honestly it was just by chance that he was a horrid man who’d made my colleague nearly cry.

Rather than coming him feeling buzzing, I just feel sad because she feels like she can’t report it cos he’s so senior (more so me) and she’s basically bottom of the ladder.

She said I’d experienced a night out from the perspective of a girl and damn it rang true. So many men are absolute dirt.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A true Domestic Abuse Champion would've thumped him.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how she'd feel reading your posts on here Baz. You're every bit as bad as Ze Germans.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you can't help falling in love.

Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I wonder how she'd feel reading your posts on here Baz. You're every bit as bad as Ze Germans.
    No chance. I’ve probably inappropriately exaggerated some stuff for comedic effect but I’d never sexually harass anyone, multiple times.
    I'm a twit

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, beta-cuck.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...r-office-party

I enjoyed this as a study. Simon needs a bullet between the eyes, David needs a knighthood.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I predicted work fully fucked me over with the secondment opportunity. In an attempt to appease me, I was offered a chance to move on to new work in a new team. I begrudgingly accepted only for the move to collapse in a matter of days. To top it all off I've been roped in to assist with phone cover, only to be told it'll just be me and two other fellas. This particular phone line even in quiet periods requires a minimum of six people.

With all that in mind I've logged in the morning and told them if they don't give me an extended period of leave I'm likely to do myself in.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That couldn't have gone any worse.