Page 46 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,300 of 11708

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    If Tronald puts some big banks out of business I might even vote for him next time.
    You won't get a vote where you're going, mate.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    France?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deporting Mexico to France is the sort of thing Trump might try as an election promise, to be fair.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    HSBC are the dirtiest I reckon. There's the obvious reason why, then there's also what I know from working there.
    From what I've seen here. It's similar to Liverpool/City, these two are in a league of their own imo. UBS are shady but they're just copying off the big boys. BNP Paribas are a similar type of arsehole to the rest of them but they're feeding off crumbs in comparison.

JPMorgan seem to fly under the radar here but considering their size they must be as knees deep in it as the top 2. They're very minimal though, you wouldn't know their office if you didn't work there.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How was your adventure smoke?
    Terrible. I snuck round the back and listened to gangster rap with my headphones only to find out later my daughter had been crying. #fathers4justice

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Terrible. I snuck round the back and listened to gangster rap with my headphones only to find out later my daughter had been crying. #fathers4justice
    Yeah, that is pretty bad. Should have got Waff to come round and babysit whilst you got the bus somewhere quiet.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HSBC are the dirtiest I reckon. There's the obvious reason why, then there's also what I know from working there.
    Barclays is* the worst.

Toggle Spoiler

*In 2011.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That lad looks like James.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Barclays is* the worst.

Toggle Spoiler

*In 2011.
    Paying 1% is something to be proud of these days. Nowadays you just move any profit to Ireland and declare a loss.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Signed contract today for old position. I was hourly last time but now salaried, it won't make too much difference but a few more benefits with salary than hourly as last time I'd get sent home early if quiet and holidays were less I think.

£21K a year which isn't too bad considering my level, I think an experienced CDP would get around £22-23 so I can't complain.

Booked a four hour course in Marylebone at the end of the month which looked handy. Knife skills and different cuts, the mother sauces and filleting fish. £150! Ouch.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay review came in today. 0.75%

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Submitted my request to move desks.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would anyone like to take a wild swing at which bank was involved in bankrolling the paedo?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent half the day on a remote fault finding session on the phone to two middling English speakers in Katowice. Christ, I'd rather dig holes for 12 hours straight.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave Igor alone.
    I'm not actually senior enough to open accounts. I could book you an appointment though, @Magic.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Submitted my request to move desks.
    Ever since I started there’s been talk of my team moving to the old banged up building that used to be the library in the town centre, but closed as a library due to it being unsafe. The office I currently work in is pretty swish and I was happy seeing it was just office gossip.

We’ve now been given a moving date.

And it’s when I’m on holiday so I’ll get the worst spec.

The building is horrific, doesn’t have a lift (I’ll be on the 2nd floor), everywhere’s damp and it smells like school trips to a museum.

Ah well, hopefully I will at least get to enjoy the best desk in the current place for four weeks.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following on from that. The stupid fat lesbian who doesn’t actually have a job role has moved to the desk I wanted.

And just now my bosses boss just rang up to speak to my boss but she’s out. “do you have access to <a certain contract> to tell me how much we contribute?”

YES. THAT IS MY JOB. I LOOK AFTER THE CONTRACTS. OF COURSE I DO.

I swear everyone thinks I’m just an apprentice, here to make brews and print stuff.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just a nicer, less direct way of telling you to do something.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished my first week at the new job. Really like it so far. Small team of five (including me, a sixth is joining in September) in our office and everyone's really nice. The work's a lot more interesting than my last job too.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Startup tier?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    Startup tier?
    Yeah.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you take the job with the geezer that's going to stick all his profits up his nose or a different one?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Did you take the job with the geezer that's going to stick all his profits up his nose or a different one?
    Different one.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just enjoyed two glorious days off and then went in expecting a long week. Off tomorrow and Tuesday too. Banging.

I spent four hours cleaning a walk in fridge, stripped it bare and went to town before joining in service for the evening whereby I did pretty much sod all. As much as I like the days off, it bugs me that when I go back in I have to rearrange my section back to as it was and having to use what has been prepared by one of the other chefs. It's only little things but I do julienne cuts for my duck salads as it tangles in amongst the watercress better but this prat just shaves it with a peeler so it's wafer thin slices of carrot and mooli which looks shit. Leaving the tiniest bit of whatever in a container being another. Why would you wrap it up and pack it up when there's not even enough for a portion?

I've tried talking to him but his English isn't the best and he clearly doesn't understand my accent. Rabbit in headlights look but it's pissing me off.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found out the office drunk got so pissed last week she came back into work at 7:45pm thinking it was the next day. Wow.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last day in work until September.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always feel jealous of teachers at this time of year but then I remember what they have to do for the rest of it.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is off until April. Holiday then maternity leave starts just before she's due back.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's seriously short holidays for a teacher.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a new career change is in order ha. FML it's beyond roasting.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    I think a new career change is in order ha. FML it's beyond roasting.
    I remember when I did work experience in a kitchen during secondary school. I keep volunteering to get anything from the walk in fridge/freezer.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I deep cleaned that fucker on Sunday. A nice four hours but it was nowhere near as hot. I just got absolutely slammed for lunch service too.

Tomorrow scares the life out of me as we're due a hotter one and I already know we've got a lot of tables booked. I honestly don't know how people can eat meals in this weather, just a nice easy bite surely?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I’m not the only one - most of the country seemed to break up on Friday!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a meeting today and the guy was wearing a three piece suit. I was wearing shorts and t-shirt.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Had a meeting today and the guy was wearing a three piece suit. I was wearing shorts and t-shirt.
    Was he an employee, because that's ridiculously unprofessional if not.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a client. I work at a creative agency, not a bank.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair play to him taking it seriously, then.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was honestly one of the hardest days works I've ever had, I found cementing driveways in Canada easier and it was even hotter then.

I am most definitely not looking forward to tomorrow. It's the hottest day out the lot, isn't it? On the plus side, I smashed it throughout although evening became a little wobbly as I was jumping on starters and mains, it's the mains section that I'm trying to learn but it's difficult when you're only doing it in dribs and drabs, I'd rather have a few straight shifts on it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which are the best languages to learn when it comes to coding? I've been pissing about with HTML but I'd like to get proper stuck in since I've got a lot of free time at work.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know the correct answer but if I had time to learn, the one I’d aim for is React.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which are the best languages to learn when it comes to coding? I've been pissing about with HTML but I'd like to get proper stuck in since I've got a lot of free time at work.
    If it's web stuff you're interested in, javascript is your best bet. You can do other stuff with it too but it's primarily a frontend (making shit move around and respond to the user on the page) web language.

You can use it on the backend (server stuff that dictates what you see when you go to a url/click on a link etc) too with NodeJs.

Freecodecamp is good and should be easily enough accessed from your work.

Java (completely different from javascript) or python are good shouts too if you're looking for a career in it.

I don’t know the correct answer but if I had time to learn, the one I’d aim for is React.
    React isn't a language on its own, it's a framework for javascript. It'd be best to learn javascript first.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers. I'll give javascript a go then. At what point did you end up applying for a developer role? I'm not sure if it's something I want to solely pursue, but I figure it's probably the best use of my spare time at the moment. Is it common for people to design as well as develop?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers. I'll give javascript a go then. At what point did you end up applying for a developer role? I'm not sure if it's something I want to solely pursue, but I figure it's probably the best use of my spare time at the moment. Is it common for people to design as well as develop?
    I did a masters conversion course so about a year after starting that.

A mate of mine taught himself python and got a job with it after about a year though. Depends how much time you've got to dedicate to it, I suppose.

I don't think it's all that common for people to do design and development but I could be wrong. @SvN would know more about that than me.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was some boring email went round work this morning about a reward scheme, and then one an hour later saying it was malicious and if you’d clicked on the link you had to turn your computer off immediately and report it to IT.

So I went back to the original email, clicked on the link and then shut my PC down.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Offshore Toon

If you're serious about going into web stuff, HTML and CSS are a must before you start moving onto anything else. You don't need to be an expert, but you need to fully understand the basic principles of how the web works - especially if you want to learn something like React.

Vanilla JS is a good starting point before you move onto frameworks, as Boydy said.

10 or so years ago, you were expected to code if you were a designer. Since then, "development" has branched off into so many different subsets that it's no longer that common for someone to do both. It's also quite rare that someone can be creative and a competent coder - most people are either one or the other.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was some boring email went round work this morning about a reward scheme, and then one an hour later saying it was malicious and if you’d clicked on the link you had to turn your computer off immediately and report it to IT.

So I went back to the original email, clicked on the link and then shut my PC down.
    The scenes when they figure out you clicked the link after the email came out

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I did a masters conversion course so about a year after starting that.

A mate of mine taught himself python and got a job with it after about a year though. Depends how much time you've got to dedicate to it, I suppose.

I don't think it's all that common for people to do design and development but I could be wrong. @SvN would know more about that than me.
    @Offshore Toon

If you're serious about going into web stuff, HTML and CSS are a must before you start moving onto anything else. You don't need to be an expert, but you need to fully understand the basic principles of how the web works - especially if you want to learn something like React.

Vanilla JS is a good starting point before you move onto frameworks, as Boydy said.

10 or so years ago, you were expected to code if you were a designer. Since then, "development" has branched off into so many different subsets that it's no longer that common for someone to do both. It's also quite rare that someone can be creative and a competent coder - most people are either one or the other.
    Okay, cool. Appreciate the advice. I'll just see how I get on for now then.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of personality are you Toon?

I'd reccomend following SvN's advice with the HTML/CSS. Get yourself a pirated copy of Photoshop/Illustrator and put together a couple of projects with/for mates and see which things kept your attention more. The only way you get anywhere with either field is through repetition. If you're just pissing about and want a side-thing to learn I'd recommend pissing about with Ableton and plugins as that's already your scene.

My boss won't let me wear shorts in the same office out IT guys are wearing NFL tops and World of Warcraft t-shirts.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came offshore on Monday after a week of annual leave. Was due off on Thursday. Flight cancelled. Was due off on Friday. Flight cancelled.

So here I am, at 8am on a Saturday awaiting a helicopter to take me home to salvage my weekend.

Fog is now my least favourite form of weather.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Helicopters might be my least favourite form of transport.