Quote Originally Posted by hfswjyr View Post
What are you doing with the other 55% of your money?

I've got 70% in shares, and similarly to you, far too much of that is in the company I work for. Other than that, I have the complete polar opposite trading style to you. I buy and hold for years, if not decades. How are you managing all the brokerage fees from trading all the time?
I do a mix - I still have a lot of shares in my company (that I wasn’t counting in that figure). Over the next two or three years there’s an absolute shit load more coming, which is why I’ve been dumping the tax free ones over the last 12 months and more recently dumping some that have a pretty high capital gain whilst I’m miles from the allowance threshold this tax year.

The brokerage fees aren’t too bad, it’s £12 a trade or something, £9 if you’re more active (which I’ve become it seems) and no fee for holding the shares longer term, so realistically for the amounts I’m putting in about a 1% share price rise is net neutral and I’m cashing out when the share price is 2-3% up. That seems to happen intra day on some shares, or over the course of a few days.

I have a mix of shares I’ve held a long time (which are red) and I’ve been more active just turning over shares more recently. I’ve this afternoon I bought/sold Taylor wimpey right at the end of the day - bought at 107, sold at 108.75 or something. The reward, after fees, is fuck all (£27) but you do it often and it’ll add up. If the share price drops I just hold the shares and then buy more if it dips by 7-10% and rinse/repeat.

I’m miles from the tax allowance for this year and I keep a record of my “gains”.

I’m paying into a fund and that will just grow with time. I’ve also got some shares that I’ll probably just hold and let return dividends over time.

To be clear. I’ve no idea what I’m doing and at the moment I’m trying to “bank” some profit so when the strategy inevitably fails I’m not down loads. I don’t need access to the money, nor are likely to any time soon, so it’s just a bit of interest and if you’re not greedy, a small passive income (all be it putting a fair financial risk on the table to get it each time). I’ve set myself a £60/week target to see if it’s achievable to get £3k/year in this way.