User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will George Martin die before he gets another book out?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 27.27%
  • No

4 18.18%
  • He's already dead

1 4.55%
  • I don't care

4 18.18%
  • Magic's dad told me books are for queers

4 18.18%
  • Dunno, I'm just watching for the tits

1 4.55%
  • Turtle/dragon

2 9.09%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Series 6: sponsored by Clarke Excitement Vacuum vs. Dinklage

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Euron, mate.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    It's Euron, mate.
    I was just about to say that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lolling at nomenclature while getting it wrong. More power to you, Adamski. You're nothing if not consistent.

How, other than being a ninja or the Iron Islands actually being as sparsely populated as they're portrayed, is he supposed to have arrived, entered and navigated the castle, and pitched up on the bridge he knew the King would be using, suggesting it's at least in close proximity to his own chambers, without being stopped or noticed.

Incidentally, it seems odd that they'd come back into the story the episode after the Leaver of Friends' fleet was burned down. The best trained sailors in the world and the invading force with a mutual enemy seem like a match made in The Flames.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That scene with Captain Pugwash being thrown to his death was utterly absurd on several levels. Firstly, why is there a rickety rope bridge between two bits of his castle? Secondly, why is the elderly king attempting to cross such a rickety rope bridge, on his own, in the middle of the night, during a severe storm? Thirdly, how has the decidedly middle-aged Euron managed to ghost into the place and ghost out again without anybody noticing?

The rest of it was OK. Tommen will get bummed to death quite soon. Oh well. Who is king after that?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post

The rest of it was OK. Tommen will get bummed to death quite soon. Oh well. Who is king after that?
    He will almost certainly die given they killed off all 3 of his heirs within 2 episodes (if you ignore Stannis being a traitor, at least).

There's no one left. It probably gets traced back to Dany, just to make her storyline even more pointless.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lover of Nicknames pissing around in the Med has been a lot of things, but it isn't pointless. It only becomes pointless if she somehow dies before setting foot in Westeros, which won't happen. As it is, she'll piss around with the incredibly gullible Dothraki bloke a bit longer, get back to her place around episode five, whinge about the slavers taking their shit back for an episode or two, and be furnished with a fleet through somehow linking up with the Iron twats in the last episode.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right, that was a poor choice of words. Just meant more along the lines of it really hasn't gone very far over the 5 and a bit seasons. I actually enjoy those scenes more than most people on here (it seems) but she really needs to get her act together and just invade. If that ends up being how it all ends (meaning we'll have to wait another 2-3 seasons for them to figure out how it happens) I'll be a bit annoyed.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The stuff in the Iron Islands was boring but a change in leadership of the irrelevant territories seems to be a theme of the season and will obviously pay off down the road, so I was engaged the moment that ninja appeared on the bridge.
    I'm really happy with their choice to basically bin the Iron Islands until they become (presumably) relevant. Rather than having them cut to a scene every second episode of Balon sitting on the throne being grumpy, before eventually dying midway through the last season and then nothing happening for ages. They had enough faith in the viewers to assume we'd be able to pick up the thread again when it mattered. Good on them.

EDIT: The rickety bridge was definitely foreshadowed in the credit sequence when Pyke came up out of the map, too. Bridges wobbling all over the place.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they fucked the 'resurrection' a bit by structuring it like every other 'save the hero' scene in the history of film. The desperately in need of redemption character tries their best, the hero's friends gradually peel off as they lose hope, the non-human knows before everyone else, and the hero wakes up with a gasp. Admittedly it's usually someone a bit more recently dead, but then the Castle Black scenes seem to be happening at a vastly different pace than the rest of the show so it could be forty five minutes later for all we know.
    They did throw in a little curveball at the popular book-related theory that Jon warged into the direwolf. By making him stir first, they did do a quick bait-and-switch.

Tyrion with the dragons represented the furthest out of the park a ball has been whacked on this show since Oberyn told him a story. That he presumably done it acting opposite a clothes horse with some tennis balls on it makes it perhaps more impressive than the scene about his 'little pink cock'.
    I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him to act that scene, but he absolutely nailed it. That said, I'd watch Tyrion and Varys wandering around and bantering for hours.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, given that Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams were both hired as nobodys with barely any acting experience, the fact that the both of them turned out to be outstanding actors must be incredibly satisfying to the casting agents.

Although the hands-down best acting performance on the show, and I'm including Peter Dinklange in this, has been Alfie Allen. Even when his storyline was stuttering, he was conveying his character perfectly every time he was on screen. He's gone from brash to cowardly to despairing to hopeless, and now he's capturing a small chance at redemption. I realise there are a number of actors who are bringing their A-game to every episode in which they appear (see also: Liam Cunningham, Jonathan Pryce), but his arc must have been incredibly challenging to pull off, and he's done it spot-on.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    I'm really happy with their choice to basically bin the Iron Islands until they become (presumably) relevant. Rather than having them cut to a scene every second episode of Balon sitting on the throne being grumpy, before eventually dying midway through the last season and then nothing happening for ages. They had enough faith in the viewers to assume we'd be able to pick up the thread again when it mattered. Good on them.

EDIT: The rickety bridge was definitely foreshadowed in the credit sequence when Pyke came up out of the map, too. Bridges wobbling all over the place.
    It does seem like they're only bringing the islands back as they're about to become worthwhile, and the aforementioned burning of the Forgoer of Facial Expressions' ships adds weight to that, but they brought in a top level actor to head the Dorne scenes last year and then did absolutely fuck all with them so I'll hold fire on the praise for now.

They did throw in a little curveball at the popular book-related theory that Jon warged into the direwolf. By making him stir first, they did do a quick bait-and-switch.

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him to act that scene, but he absolutely nailed it. That said, I'd watch Tyrion and Varys wandering around and bantering for hours.
    They must know that book readers make up a small portion of their audience, so that sort of low level subterfuge can't be considered anything more than a wink at this point. Even something as small as ending the scene on Ghost perking up or having Jon open his eyes peacefully would have made it feel different and somewhat original. The only way to inject some actual tension into the scene would have been to have Alliser knife him at the beginning of this season rather than the end of last, so that there were ten fewer months for people to mull over the state of play if he was actually dead, but they could have improved on the staging in a hundred different ways.

A spinoff with Tyrion and Varys walking around various fictional landscapes remarking upon what's going on would definitely have my admission fee. Stick them in Baltimore and I'll fund the fucking thing myself.

Also, given that Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams were both hired as nobodys with barely any acting experience, the fact that the both of them turned out to be outstanding actors must be incredibly satisfying to the casting agents.

Although the hands-down best acting performance on the show, and I'm including Peter Dinklange in this, has been Alfie Allen. Even when his storyline was stuttering, he was conveying his character perfectly every time he was on screen. He's gone from brash to cowardly to despairing to hopeless, and now he's capturing a small chance at redemption. I realise there are a number of actors who are bringing their A-game to every episode in which they appear (see also: Liam Cunningham, Jonathan Pryce), but his arc must have been incredibly challenging to pull off, and he's done it spot-on.
    Sophie Turner is good but Maisie Williams is tremendous. Which makes it a shame that their respective looks will mean that Sophie Turner will have a huge career while Maisie Williams will be a bit player and occasional lead.

About sixty percent of Alfie Allen's acting is his haircut. He's capable, but on the spectrum of the show's performances he's much closer to Littlefinger than to Tyrion.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rate them the other way, to be honest. I think Sophie Turner has had more subtle work to do, while Maisie Williams has only had to do very broad brush acting.

Also, Jon Snow coming back to life barely even registers as a twist at this point, so going over the top with the dramatic reveal would have been a bit hollow.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lolling at nomenclature while getting it wrong. More power to you, Adamski. You're nothing if not consistent.

How, other than being a ninja or the Iron Islands actually being as sparsely populated as they're portrayed, is he supposed to have arrived, entered and navigated the castle, and pitched up on the bridge he knew the King would be using, suggesting it's at least in close proximity to his own chambers, without being stopped or noticed.

Incidentally, it seems odd that they'd come back into the story the episode after the Leaver of Friends' fleet was burned down. The best trained sailors in the world and the invading force with a mutual enemy seem like a match made in The Flames.
    He's the brother of the King, why would he have to be stopped or enter the castle unnoticed?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    That scene with Captain Pugwash being thrown to his death was utterly absurd on several levels. Firstly, why is there a rickety rope bridge between two bits of his castle? Secondly, why is the elderly king attempting to cross such a rickety rope bridge, on his own, in the middle of the night, during a severe storm? Thirdly, how has the decidedly middle-aged Euron managed to ghost into the place and ghost out again without anybody noticing?

The cliff the castle towers stands on has been eroded, so the only way to access each tower is using the rope bridges.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone had seen him on the way in or out, the King's brother having returned after twenty years on the night he died and then missed his send off, the 'whoever did this' stuff at the funeral would ring hollow and false. I suppose they could create a retroactive conspiracy if they want to do Dorne again with shite weather, but I doubt they're that daft.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not killing Balon before now made the whole 'leeches' thing a bit weird, given that 2 of the 3 died fast and Balon just hung around for fucking ages. That said just having him die and then postponing the story probably wouldn't have been any better, so I guess they made the best of a bad situation. If the books are anything to go by it should be more interesting than Dorne... but you never know I guess.

I've said for a long time I'd watch a Tyrion and Varys walking around spin off. Even more so if they can add Bronn.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Tyrion and Varys explores the world of Game of Thrones" would be so much more enjoyable than this show. Get all of the mosaic that GRRRRRRRRM has created but removing all of the convoluted plot threads.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could do with less of the Mexican soap opera directing though, with people talking to the wall (primarily Cersei) and stuff like the extended scene where the camera shows Tommen and Cersei hugging from outside the balcony and the appropriate music playing. I mean I don't mind the odd scene here and there, but it happens too often for my liking.

Also for me (and basically all of my friends), Turner's acting ranges from bad to meh. Maybe it's the accent? I don't know.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a discussion about the show at work I've been watching some quality scenes from previous series. This is still a favourite:

There's about fifteen seconds after Joffrey accuses Tywin of "hiding under Casterley Rock" where not a single word is said but it's just perfect. And Dance does that tiny turn of the head and slight hardening of the expression in response.

Are we due any more Dance in this series? I'm hoping so via Bran's flashbacks, the useless little gimp.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joffrey's "oh shit, I've overstepped" face when Tywin glares at him is brilliant too.

I always thought Lena Headey did excellent work whenever she was on screen opposite Joffrey. She always managed to convey that her character knew exactly how much of a horrible little bastard her son was, but that she loved and was concerned about him regardless.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That final Tyrion/Tywin exchange is so good.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best ACTING scene in the whole thing remains Oberyn telling Tyrion the story of his 'little pink cock' but Tywin would feature heavily in a top ten.

Having checked which episodes Charles Dance appeared in I was surprised that he'd only been in half of those aired so far. Obviously he wasn't around at all last year but even before that he was only in two thirds, which seems low given how prominent he was and what a massive shadow he cast.

The flashbacks seem to be going back so far - one of the clips in the trailer has someone in a King's Guard helmet with a dragon sigil on their armour - that any Tywin appearance would probably need to be recast.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I bet episodes like that have the Book Wankers absolutely seething. Enjoy reading it in five years, lads.
    Nah, apart from Zombie Jon Snow which everyone saw coming anyway, and Roose, which was also fairly expected for people who've paid attention, nothing was new last week to book readers.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Not killing Balon before now made the whole 'leeches' thing a bit weird, given that 2 of the 3 died fast and Balon just hung around for fucking ages. That said just having him die and then postponing the story probably wouldn't have been any better, so I guess they made the best of a bad situation. If the books are anything to go by it should be more interesting than Dorne... but you never know I guess.

I've said for a long time I'd watch a Tyrion and Varys walking around spin off. Even more so if they can add Bronn.
    It also had the advantage of subtly reminding people about the fact that Melisandre does actually possess powerful magic, which is easy to forget given that it's a while since she's used any.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    After a discussion about the show at work I've been watching some quality scenes from previous series. This is still a favourite:

There's about fifteen seconds after Joffrey accuses Tywin of "hiding under Casterley Rock" where not a single word is said but it's just perfect. And Dance does that tiny turn of the head and slight hardening of the expression in response.

Are we due any more Dance in this series? I'm hoping so via Bran's flashbacks, the useless little gimp.
    Tywin was so good. I hope he gets flashed back to.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what Littlefinger's up to now that all his plans seem to have come to nothing.

Marrying off Sansa to Ramsay seems to have been a colossal miscalculation on his part. He had to know that Ramsay was a loon who would abuse her until she either died or escaped.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if Gendry will be rowing for another season.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tywin was so good. I hope he gets flashed back to.
    For any flashbacks is it not likely it would be all the way back to Robert's Rebellion though, like the one in the next episode? i.e. no chance of Charles Dance

I wonder what Littlefinger's up to now that all his plans seem to have come to nothing.

Marrying off Sansa to Ramsay seems to have been a colossal miscalculation on his part. He had to know that Ramsay was a loon who would abuse her until she either died or escaped.
    He does have the Knights of The Vale at his disposal. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make an appearance when the battle at Winterfell takes place, going by his scene with Cersei in season 5.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really loved that flashback in the book, glad they kept a lot of the dialogue.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things really are moving now. That training montage did more for 'A. Girl' than the entire last series.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

Good episode that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably because if you show your tits all the time you get typecast as an actress who shows her tits all the time.

When she was first in it she was an unknown, so getting the mammaries out would have been more of a needs must sort of thing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good episode. As Lewis said, things are moving at a pace now.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even Ramsay managed to be relatively interesting in that episode.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was excellent.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you see what you get olly? Do you see what you get when you mess with the warrior?

It's going well. The Starks are on the march.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The episode also showed that we need more Tormund in episodes.

Him and Jon Snow having a jolly around the country on his way to the dragons would be amazing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Do you see what you get olly? Do you see what you get when you mess with the warrior?

It's going well. The Starks are on the march.

I was genuinely worried he was going to let the little fucker live. Even when he was hanging, I half expected him to just cut Olly down . Held firm though.

I think I'm going to miss Ser Alliser though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    I really loved that flashback in the book, glad they kept a lot of the dialogue.

[spoiler]
    Quite enjoy this reading of it-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqv-UtJQk5Q

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I was wondering when watching it, and maybe the the book people can help me out here (unless it's one of those situations where they've branched off from the book), but when did this cool bastard die:

?

The Red Wedding, presumably? I can't remember seeing it though, and I feel like he was a big enough character that we would have. That was meant to be his son, who brought Rickon to Ramsey, right? He mentioned something about killing his own father if he wasn't already dead.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He made it out of The Red Wedding AFAIK. Could it be that Smalljon Umber is setting a trap for Ramsay?

Also, mentions of 'Ser Gregor' and 'trial by combat' in this episode are hinting towards a popular fan theory coming to fruition this season.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He did make it out of the Red Wedding and we only learnt about his death because of what his Son said.

In the TV show Rickon was sent to the Umber's for protection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The alleged direwolf head looked a bit small to be a direwolf if you ask me. Umbers are historically loyal to the Starks as they said in the episode, so I reckon something fishy could be going on there, trying to overthrow the Boltons and seat Rickon at Winterfell.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vim View Post
    The alleged direwolf head looked a bit small to be a direwolf if you ask me. Umbers are historically loyal to the Starks as they said in the episode, so I reckon something fishy could be going on there, trying to overthrow the Boltons and seat Rickon at Winterfell.
    Why use the actual Rickon in that case?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'Your Dad was a cunt and you're a cunt but I need you to kill some cunts for me' bit was good.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is he going to do with Rickon, then? Anyone worth their salt would have had his head off well before the end of that scene.

That was a decent episode. Absolutely no idea what is going on in Meereen, but plus ça change.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm inclined to agree with your previous analysis that they simply have no way of getting Dany to Westeros without it being a massive anti-climax. She should really be building an army now, not fucking about in Vaes Dothrak, as cool as seeing it is.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Varys was an absolute don, once again.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, Varys was the best bit.

No idea where this Rickon thing is going. Ramsey surely should have killed him there and then.