User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will George Martin die before he gets another book out?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 27.27%
  • No

4 18.18%
  • He's already dead

1 4.55%
  • I don't care

4 18.18%
  • Magic's dad told me books are for queers

4 18.18%
  • Dunno, I'm just watching for the tits

1 4.55%
  • Turtle/dragon

2 9.09%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Series 6: sponsored by Clarke Excitement Vacuum vs. Dinklage

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the issue the showrunners have is that Martin thinks backstory is more important than story. He spends most of the books establishing things, but thus far he's forgotten to advance the plot very far, which means the interpersonal drama is all the showrunners have to go with, which is why it all feels a bit Days of Our Lives except everyone died rather than getting amnesia.

The good news is that with only two seasons left of the show and Martin's meanderings now largely exhausted, the TV version can get on with things. The bad news is that so far when the TV version has freelanced it's largely ballsed it up.

I still find it very enjoyable, mind, but it's firmly trashy good rather than actually good these days.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot on, elth.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's definitely a chance that they need the framework, such as it is that the books provide, but as far as I understand the book deviations they're about fifty fifty on those. The biggest, most fertile balls have all come directly from book material. Like keeping the Chewer of Scenery apart from the main action for a billion years.

They say there's two seasons to go but given where everyone is now it'll feel hugely rushed if it's done in twenty hours. If you meant two seasons after this one, maybe.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I allowed to put spoilers within spoiler tags, or just not at all?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure why last night doesn't count as it having aired, to be honest.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it airs in the UK until 9?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was on at 2am this morning.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because who the fuck watches TV between 2 and 3am on a work night.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    It was on at 2am this morning.
    Ah yes, prime time viewing!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy enough to avoid the thread if you didn't watch it and you're opting to wait for the replay. Not a big deal at all, just unusual to ban "spoilers" even after it's been aired on UK TV.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbf, the threads on the old board were all at US pace.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, then fuck it. Not sure this is even a "real" spoiler anyway, as I haven't seen the episode, only read about what happens in it.

Toggle Spoiler

EDIT: If I'm out of line here, anyone, then just delete this or whatever.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    There's definitely a chance that they need the framework, such as it is that the books provide, but as far as I understand the book deviations they're about fifty fifty on those. The biggest, most fertile balls have all come directly from book material. Like keeping the Chewer of Scenery apart from the main action for a billion years.

They say there's two seasons to go but given where everyone is now it'll feel hugely rushed if it's done in twenty hours. If you meant two seasons after this one, maybe.
    The books are at pretty much the same point, one or two plot points aside. There's either an awful lot that has to happen in a relatively short space or it's off in a direction I'm not expecting.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the books are in a little better shape but yeah, it seems that a lot has been left to somehow come together in a fairly short space of time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They didn't seem to hammer the advertising for the simulcast the same way this year as they did last, so it would have been easy enough to forget they were doing it. I only remembered because I happened to scroll past the channel when an advert was on. Last year it was all over the football coverage and presumably everything else. I decided it was easier for the two people who did bother staying up to watch it to spoiler their thoughts than the thirty who didn't to remember it had been on and avoid the thread or die. I've acknowledged before that I'm overcautious with spoilers though, so if you all agree that the middle of the night counts then have at it.

As it turns out, the only spoiler tag so far is completely without value.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    The books are at pretty much the same point, one or two plot points aside. There's either an awful lot that has to happen in a relatively short space or it's off in a direction I'm not expecting.
    He's published five of seven, right? That would roughly tally with another two seasons, but I just can't see how it resolves from here in two years. For example, if the Eater of Toast is going to be the winner, how fucking rushed would it feel for her to just fly across and blitz everyone from here having spent five years dossing around with the slaves? They've spent five years setting up an emo girl with dragons to the south and an army of frozen zombies to the north. How do you not spend the same again resolving it from there?

By the way, the actor who plays the head of the Jotunheim crew was on that 'best of' program last night and he's a dead ringer for Martin Amis.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SvN is right, but until everyone accepts it:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's published five of seven, right? That would roughly tally with another two seasons, but I just can't see how it resolves from here in two years. For example, if the Eater of Toast is going to be the winner, how fucking rushed would it feel for her to just fly across and blitz everyone from here having spent five years dossing around with the slaves? They've spent five years setting up an emo girl with dragons to the south and an army of frozen zombies to the north. How do you not spend the same again resolving it from there?
    It would be standard fantasy doorstopper fare for him to suddenly decide one of those remaining novels needs to be split into two, he did it with Storm of Swords by simply taking half the POV's and sticking them in one book so you had half the plot advancing and half standing still. Not such a problem for publishers as an extra book is another £8.99 from everyone but it would royally bone the continuity of the series. He's just generally unreliable, hence my posts about waiting until it was finished, or at the very least giving him a longer head start.

It's not quite Babylon 5 levels of dickery but it has the potential to be up there.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    It would be standard fantasy doorstopper fare for him to suddenly decide one of those remaining novels needs to be split into two, he did it with Storm of Swords by simply taking half the POV's and sticking them in one book so you had half the plot advancing and half standing still. Not such a problem for publishers as an extra book is another £8.99 from everyone but it would royally bone the continuity of the series. He's just generally unreliable, hence my posts about waiting until it was finished, or at the very least giving him a longer head start.

It's not quite Babylon 5 levels of dickery but it has the potential to be up there.
    That really was batshit mental, especially considering Storm of Swords featured all the shit characters.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I thought we were talking about DWD. I can't remember Swords being split up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was Feast for Crows (#4) which featured the 'less popular' characters, rather than Dance with Dragons (#5).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, Storm of Swords was actually the best of the lot.

I'm not even sure how I made it through Feast for Crows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever else you want to say about the series or the author, the books themselves are incredibly readable. I read them all within a month last June or so.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, I gave up on the series sometime during the second one but I'm gagging for more of the books. The dicking around only makes it all the more frustrating because the end product is so compelling.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, originally I posted saying DWD was better simply because it had no Bran but then I got confused why we were talking about Storm of Swords, which is the best one. FFC was the worst but I still enjoyed it other than Bran.

As to the new episode (which was already on Demand on NOW TV when I woke up which is nice).

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is this all so fucking dark? I can't see a thing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished. Yawn.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking lol @ the Dornish storyline. I want a montage of all of those scenes as standalone just to experience how bad it is.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like they've cast all the worst actors they can possibly find.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Why is this all so fucking dark? I can't see a thing.
    Indeed.

Lost was the worst for this though, trying to see what was happening in a dark jungle on a laptop was the fucking pits.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in a large room with a large TV but I've had to employ 1940s air raid conditions to have any chance of seeing what's going on.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ending with a depressed old naked woman was quite an apt ending.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first episodes are always just about checking in with everyone rather than anything exciting happening.

Dorne (or more accurately, the Sand Snakes) remain awful shite however. Good job on disposing the sole potentially interesting character in that whole nonsensical timewaste of a storyline.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really can't see where the Dorne storyline goes from there. Killing off Myrcella already had it feeling even more pointless than it already was.... now they may as well just pull the plug on it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dorne thing is confusing. The Human League member who stabbed Doran to take control with her absolutely awful sidekicks and then do what?

Daenaerys back in a tricky position with Dothraki and various bearded men looking for her, might as well not have had the last four series.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at least slightly relieved when the Dothraki fella turned out to be fairly reasonable. If it had been another cartoon evil stereotyped foreigner to take the piss out of her right up to the point at which he gets eaten by a dragon, it would have been an exact copy of all her other storylines.

He'll still get eaten by a dragon, though. But at least he might be reasonable about it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dothraki scene was the second best thing in that episode, after Tyrion and Varys doing an exhausted State of the Union address to eachother. Hang around a while, Moro. We just clocked the real Red Tits for the first time and your sums might need redoing.

Wasn't that Prince who got Sand Snaked in the nostril in Westeros? How did those two shithouses get there to fill him in without the massive ship with Jaime's Incest Express spotting them?

Bit of a shame that they've dispensed with Alexander Siddig already. He's a great actor, and could definitely have fit seamlessly into this show the same way Oberynn did in the quieter moments. As it is we've got Luther's shit wife and her inexplicably 2011 bitchy daughters running the show there now, which means more arse and more tit and more crying and less quality.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oberyn was an absolute don.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what Dorne can do for 'revenge' that them tarts couldn't have done on their own. Didn't they preserve their independence and customs precisely because they have never been run by hot-headed clowns?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Oberyn was an absolute don.

The best short term character they've had. I reckon if Martin's books had already expired by that point they'd have kept him around and fucked the zombie Mountain idea off as the nonsense it is.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That fight they had was the best bit of the entire programme by miles.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best scene was Oberyn telling Tyrion about the time he saw him as a child with 'a little pink cock', closely followed by Tyrion losing the plot in his trial. The fight was quality, but I reckon it'd have been much better without the 'twist', had Oberyn just wiped the tall twat out. Even the storylines that would have opened up are more interesting than the ones they've pursued.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dothraki scene was the second best thing in that episode, after Tyrion and Varys doing an exhausted State of the Union address to eachother. Hang around a while, Moro. We just clocked the real Red Tits for the first time and your sums might need redoing.

Wasn't that Prince who got Sand Snaked in the nostril in Westeros? How did those two shithouses get there to fill him in without the massive ship with Jaime's Incest Express spotting them?

Bit of a shame that they've dispensed with Alexander Siddig already. He's a great actor, and could definitely have fit seamlessly into this show the same way Oberynn did in the quieter moments. As it is we've got Luther's shit wife and her inexplicably 2011 bitchy daughters running the show there now, which means more arse and more tit and more crying and less quality.
    Tystane was the one who was betrothed to Myrcella.

The only Dornish that went to Westeros were Oberyn and Ellaria I believe but she is the one who killed Doran.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alexander Siddig may just be the most wasted actor any series has every employed.

Also, I feel like them burning the ships was a deliberate middle finger to people who would like the Danaeryereys plotline to actually go somewhere.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other stray thoughts:

Two of the most recognisable people on their planet, Tyrion and Varys, were just wandering around Meereen talking about how causally people are being murdered while wearing the thinnest disguise ever worn (we're merchants!). Then wandering in the direction people were running from like it's no big thing.

When the dogs caught up with Sansa and Theon, I was about ready to lose it entirely. They spent so long getting away from the castle that if they got taken straight back, I don't know how I'd have dealt with it. Now I just want the four of them to run away and be happy somewhere. Sansa can hook up with Pod - I'd be totally alright with that.

Arya was fun, but she'd better not have a second successive season-long training montage. Give her a stick, play the Rocky music, then let her loose on Westeros. There was something amusing about everyone else's total disinterest to the girl beating up on the blind peasant, though.

Sparrow is playing Margaery like a fiddle. No way does she see the season finale.

Trystayne died like he lived. Stupidly.

Are we going to see Bran this season? Or Rickon ever again?

EDIT: And "Fuck everyone who isn't us" should probably be the series motto.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Alexander Siddig may just be the most wasted actor any series has every employed.

Also, I feel like them burning the ships was a deliberate middle finger to people who would like the Danaeryereys plotline to actually go somewhere.
    John Hawkes' cameo on Lost is in the conversation there. Andre Royo had a one episode part on Fringe too actually, which is another contender.

It would have been interesting to see how someone different, with genuine power but a more thoughtful nature would have dealt with all the conflicts going on in that world, but I suppose Jon Snow represented the same 'type' and met the same fate, so that's this story's answer to the question.

When the dogs caught up with Sansa and Theon, I was about ready to lose it entirely. They spent so long getting away from the castle that if they got taken straight back, I don't know how I'd have dealt with it. Now I just want the four of them to run away and be happy somewhere. Sansa can hook up with Pod - I'd be totally alright with that.
    Where did the dogs go? They were straining at their leashes trying to get at Sansa, being prevented from doing so only by their masters, but the minute Brienne appeared they seemed to either run like fuck or be killed off screen. That's the sort of seemingly minor detail that pulls me out of a scene.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did the dogs go? They were straining at their leashes trying to get at Sansa, being prevented from doing so only by their masters, but the minute Brienne appeared they seemed to either run like fuck or be killed off screen. That's the sort of seemingly minor detail that pulls me out of a scene.
    I get why they did that, to be honest. Nobody wants to see people killing dogs. Dogs are great. Even death-bearing murderhounds.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get why they did that, to be honest. Nobody wants to see people killing dogs. Dogs are great. Even death-bearing murderhounds.
    They showed the Direwolf getting biffed at the Red Wedding, didn't they? Without a scale comparison that's just an alsatian.

I do get why they did it, but as I said it's just the sort of minor detail that I tend to bump into.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was more worried about the teleporting Sand Snakes. Wasn't Trystayne on a boat? And are they now stuck in King's Landing?

They should off a random minor Lannister every week just to move the plot along.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was more worried about the teleporting Sand Snakes. Wasn't Trystayne on a boat? And are they now stuck in King's Landing?

They should off a random minor Lannister every week just to move the plot along.
    I raised that earlier but Mahow booked me to death.