User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will George Martin die before he gets another book out?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 27.27%
  • No

4 18.18%
  • He's already dead

1 4.55%
  • I don't care

4 18.18%
  • Magic's dad told me books are for queers

4 18.18%
  • Dunno, I'm just watching for the tits

1 4.55%
  • Turtle/dragon

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Series 6: sponsored by Clarke Excitement Vacuum vs. Dinklage

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game of Thrones Series 6: sponsored by Clarke Excitement Vacuum vs. Dinklage

Is Jon Snerr dead? (No.)
    Is Bran's story going to get more interesting? (Maybe.)
    Will we miss Stannis the Mannis despite him turning into a turbocunt last series? (Yes.)

And more importantly, what's Peter Dinklage going to have to do to overcome Dany's black hole of scene-ruining snooze?

This is for discussion of the programme once it starts and HOORAY we're not going to have to worry about book stuff! I think? Has anything been revealed in the Winds of Winter preview bits that we haven't seen yet? If so then I guess don't mention that because banhammer.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've watched the trailers but I've been avoiding all gossip/rumours/potential spoilers thus far.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than likely but who is reading the preview stuff knowing they'll have to wait ANOTHER fucking year for more.

Fuck George.

Dinklage is finally going to bring something good to Clarke's scenes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any future spoilers / rumours etc. etc. should be spoilered. I want nothing ruined for me.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of the poll.

I think he'll live to release the 6th but die about 5 years later. That would mean, by his writing speed, that he'd have about 3% of the book finished.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I drink and I know things" is a fantastic line.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody else regret getting into it? We're FIVE YEARS in, and now I have to commit myself to watching all of this.

'Jorah. Jorah, Jorah. Jorah, Jorah. Jorah, Jorah Mor-mont.'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The redemption of Ser Friendzone was a nice moment, I thought.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now for an entire season of him giving us quick glimpses of the stoney flesh, progressively getting worse, but not quite a rate that will finish him off before he makes a glorious suicide mission-style exit around ep 8/9...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    The redemption of Ser Friendzone was a nice moment, I thought.
    I'm still going to lay claim to Ser Friendzone being introduced to TTH.

Call it an e-victory if you will.

Anyway, less Clarke is good Clarke. I'm holding out hope that the Hound is still alive and hoping Theon has grown some balls at last (arf)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dinklage carries the whole show now Charles Dance isn't there to help him.

Varys also dons but rarely on these days.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little Finger is boss too

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was until you noticed his accent going all over the shop, after which point you start to focus on that instead of whatever he is doing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last season was awful. Just replace every Jeb in this with S5 and it sums up my feelings on it:

I'll still watch because lol what else am I gonna do for that hour.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much freedom do they have to write their own story this season? Presumably Martin still wants control, but I have to imagine that the studio is giving him less and less concern.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://winteriscoming.net/2016/02/17...nds-of-winter/

I assume he'll be whispering in their ear but that article makes it sound like the publishers are seething at him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine there's a hell of a lot of material prepared for the individual character stories, so presumably he's informed the script writers what the main story arcs are and what the final 'outcome(s)' will be.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They made him tell them the final outcome when they first started producing the show, they've always been worried that he'd pop his clogs before he finished it all.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read rumours the first episode has leaked, nothing on BTN though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've talked about this before but I still love that when he was invited along to see how they were getting along in making a Game of Thrones game a few years ago he complained that they'd made The Wall wrong, they told him they'd followed the exact description of it's dimensions that he'd put in the book and he said he'd made it far larger than he intended.

Useless shit.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wall is a bit silly. Would work better as a very big, but realistic size as opposed to its unbelievable gargantuan size.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing about it is that he got Mexico to pay for it

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped watching it when they killed Joffrey. Maybe I'm understimulated but several of the storylines seemed to be going nowhere.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    I imagine there's a hell of a lot of material prepared for the individual character stories, so presumably he's informed the script writers what the main story arcs are and what the final 'outcome(s)' will be.
    The thing I'm really wondering is how bound they feel to follow that material? And whether they trust Martin not to hold some stuff back.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I stopped watching it when they killed Joffrey. Maybe I'm understimulated but several of the storylines seemed to be going nowhere.
    I've found this. I'm totally unclear as to what I'm supposed to hope is going to happen. It doesn't even really feel like a saga at the moment so much as a relatively unconnected series of things what happened.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone working off stuff Martin has provided is going to be disappointed when he changes everything without telling anyone, making a tv series before he'd written the end was a pretty silly move. They should have just bought the rights and sat on them until he finished (or died and someone vaguely competent finished it off for him). Right now you have a story which has already split off from the books and is wallowing in the directionless pap that crept into the later ones, inevitably alienating part of your audience.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Anyone working off stuff Martin has provided is going to be disappointed when he changes everything without telling anyone, making a tv series before he'd written the end was a pretty silly move. They should have just bought the rights and sat on them until he finished (or died and someone vaguely competent finished it off for him). Right now you have a story which has already split off from the books and is wallowing in the directionless pap that crept into the later ones, inevitably alienating part of your audience.
    You reckon they'd have been willing to buy the rights then sit on them for a totally undetermined period of time, which Martin doesn't seem to be in any hurry to speed up?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well ok, they could have waited to buy them then. Either way if they waited until the books were done before making the series it could have worked a lot better rather than aimlessly flapping around waiting for new story to appear. If he ends up writing an enormous last book they'll need either extra series or to rush it, far better to know how you're going to end it before you start and get the pacing right.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'd definitely have had a more coherent and consistent show if they'd gone that way, and I imagine the current makeup of characters would be vastly different if they didn't have to hold off on killing someone incase Martin decided to build the story around them two books from now, but there's no chance they'd sit on the rights to something this good for fifteen years.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly Martin has a plan for a "big twist" in the next book that involves someone who is dead in the show, so yea... they've already fucked it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm only looking at it from a 'how could it have been as good as possible' point of view. Coming at it as a reader of the books this outcome was nailed on from the start and it's just a bit of a shame that the series I would want to watch won't happen.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    I've found this. I'm totally unclear as to what I'm supposed to hope is going to happen. It doesn't even really feel like a saga at the moment so much as a relatively unconnected series of things what happened.
    Agree with that. Started ok but it has been getting consistently worse and worse and is currently bordering on won't bother any more territory.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should just tell that Martin fella to fuck off and hire someone who can write to steer the ship in the right direction.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely going to watch through to the end. I think(/hope) the narrative might get a little more focussed this season, as most of the characters left have the feel of being around for the end-game.

In terms of characters who will likely play a role in the over-arching conclusion of the story, I think it's:
    Jamie, Cersei and Tyrion
    Jon (assuming he's not dead/doesn't stay dead), Arya, Bran and Sansa
    Dnayaeryeres
    Littlefinger and Varys

Outside of that, it seems like everyone is pretty expendable. But at least towards the end of last season, it did seem like to story was set up to tighten the focus on those characters.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Snow definitely isn't dead. It's appalling storytelling if he is. I reckon Jorah the Explorer will have a massive part to play in the ending, either having set something in motion that pays off down the line or through the Crafter of Nicknames unexpectedly finding a way to cure him.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing that bugs me is that, while I'm totally fine with character deaths, wiping out too many characters makes the early conflicts feel hollow. Why did we bother watching a war between two armies whose leaders would both be dead in a season or two anyway? What was the point of all the Stannis stuff? Or the big war between the Starks and Lannisters? None of it seems like it mattered all that much in the end, and that's a nasty thing to do to the viewers. It makes it difficult to believe that there are any real stakes associated with the events that occur.

As a concrete example, I'm clearly supposed to be bothered that Margaery is in prison, but to be honest, I have her pegged as "definitely not seeing the end of the series" anyway, so I don't really see her situation as having any great import in the big scheme of things.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Jon Snow definitely isn't dead. It's appalling storytelling if he is. I reckon Jorah the Explorer will have a massive part to play in the ending, either having set something in motion that pays off down the line or through the Crafter of Nicknames unexpectedly finding a way to cure him.
    The problem is that everyone has some part to play, which is how they can justify these long shaggy dog stories. Someone did something that made someone else meet someone who fired an arrow in the final battle that killed someone which turned the tide of the war.

I find it hard to believe that Jorah survives the next season, to be honest. He has heroic sacrifice written all over him.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing that bugs me is the lack of payoff for stories that they've put together. If the stories had some kind of satisfying ending, it wouldn't matter that they don't really mean that much. Joffrey is the obvious example, because everyone wanted that guy to get his comeuppance. Choked at his wedding due to subtly non-specific assassination? It's hard to derive any satisfaction from that. We spent so long hating him, and seeing him as probably the main antagonist of the series, and it turns out that he didn't matter at all.

Joffrey disappearing also leaves a massive gap for the role of "obvious hate-figure", which the series needed more than I think it realised it did. I realise that the Boltons are supposed to be that, but again, nothing about them suggests that they have any bigger role to play than "intermediate nastiness". At some point, someone's going to wipe them out to establish their bona fides, and that'll be that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moaned about all of those things, and several others, in a ranty review of the finale last year. I think that might have been the first time I was dubbed a 'joyless cunt'.

They're excellent at crafting moments, but since the end of the first season they've been getting progressively worse at linking them together with anything but fluff. The other big problem is that even as they're bringing some characters together the number of regions is actually expanding, which leads to nonsense like Dorne having a population of twelve and the Royal palace being guarded by three fighty teenagers.

Last season was comfortably the worst of the lot, so hopefully they rebound now that they get to draw a bit more of their own map.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon the only death I'd be properly surprised by at this point would be Daenerys. When you kill fucking everybody off it makes it hard to care.

Ramsay Snow is getting a sword through him at some point but as Ital said, he's not really that big a deal anyway.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, Arya is 100% definitely going to be asked to assassinate Sansa at some point.

There just has to be some payoff to the whole "it's about the Starks, look at the Starks and their familyness of obvious destiny" which was the running undercurrent to season one. To split them all up and have them basically play no role of any significance has rendered that largely moot.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely the whole thing is lining up to be humans vs. White Walkers? It's classic good vs. evil/Fire vs. Ice/red vs. blue.

The manoeuvring around now is simply to thin the herd so that someone (Jon Snow) can bring it all together, 'uniting the kingdoms in the face of great peril', probably whilst porking Danerysysys, assisted by The Imp providing some lulz in the background and Bran, Arya and Sansa as secondary characters.

That's basically it apart from the Lannisters, and they're pretty much stuck in their squabbles with the mental Spanish-y people who poisoned their kid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only recently watched this and I've enjoyed all of it. I'm actually pretty surprised at what I've just read. Even though we're generally quite critical as a board, I would've thought this show would've had everyone buzzing, like The Wire or Breaking Bad.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not close to the class of The Wire (not seen BB). Cracking yarn though.

The last series was quite lazily assembled, but it's far from irredeemable.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not even a patch on Breaking Bad let alone The Wire, both of those outclass it in every respect. Not that that's particularly damning, nothing else gets very close either.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently the episode has leaked online. I've not bothered to find it though, I shall wait for some lovely HD action tomorrow.

How we handling spoilers here btw? The usual once its been on TV in the UK in the evening its all good spoiler-wise. And nothing along the lines "well this will happen as it's in the books"

Oh and this isn't even close to being as good as The Wire.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bang on. If it's aired in the UK it's fair game. On the old board we had a thread for the books so let anyone who wants to run a book to show comparison start that again.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect!

I've had a number of excited texts from someone at work today about this. She's watching it on 'some dodgy box' for the first time and is worried it'll fail so I've got strict instructions to download it and bring it in in the morning... lucky me!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd hope it goes without saying that the 'simulcast' they're doing tonight for the first episode doesn't count as it actually having aired here, but then I don't know if Magic and Diljeet watch this, so there we are.

End of episode on a Monday night is the threshold.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a 'best of' thing on Sky Atlantic now which is serving as quite a nifty little catch up. Look out for what the 'Osha' actress is wearing when she appears. It's like thought she was turning up to do an episode.