User Tag List

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 1454

Thread: The Masters

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was trying to explain Saudi money to someone at work yesterday in that, no matter what it is they want, be it you, or an entire sport. Whatever your objection may be, they will just add a zero onto whatever cash offer you've had, until that objection disappears. Be it inconvenience, morality, tradition or anything else you can think of, eventually they will find the number that is enough for you to shake hands with them.

The western world struggles to comprehend the sheer vastness of the bankroll. So it's no surprise that people fold in the end.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. They're offering blokes from my job (so God knows how many more) like £25k per month to go and work on The Line. These are boots on the ground folk as well, not boffins.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slave labour can only go so far.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems £450m was the magic number.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sad day.

Does anyone even watch it? Other than buying all the stuff, and monumental greed, I still don't really understand where any of this is going in the long run. Or is the answer that the world simply doesn't need 99% of it's population, the 'brand experiences' of a tiny minority is all that will be needed to sustain this? Somehow I think not. it's not like petrodollars are a new thing. Sports, like all cultural things, actually needs a culture to support their existence. I don't think everything can be Formula 1, which, incidentally, also massively relies on grass roots fans but has long been at the vanguard of jetset interest movement.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They aren’t interested in turning immediate profits on any of their stuff. They’ve got literally unlimited money. It’s all about building towards a post-oil future.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basque-born Rahm said the money he was being offered by LIV was "great" but maintained that he does "not play golf for the money".

He continued: "I play golf for the love of the game and for the love of golf. I'm an ambitious person but I'm not a greedy one.

"But as a husband, as a father and as a family man I have a duty to them to give them the most amount of opportunities and the most amount of resources possible.

"Obviously, [money] is a factor and it's an important one in this decision. The love of the game and wanting to grow it in a global market. Being part of the team. Being a captain. Hopefully being a leader to team-mates. It makes me want to work harder than I have done now to actually prove myself.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    They aren’t interested in turning immediate profits on any of their stuff. They’ve got literally unlimited money. It’s all about building towards a post-oil future.
    They literally don't have unlimited money and is there such a thing as a post oil future, for humanity at least?

And if there is, owning a bunch of sporting franchises/competitions/whatever isn't really a particularly sane business plan if no bugger is actually interested in them, or alive to be interested in them.

Just all seems weird soft power flexing but I don't know to what end other than having attention showered on 'The Kingdom' and why do they even need that?

So it boils down to boys with toys really, which won't end well for the toys.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PIF has near £500bn in it sheerly for the use of things deemed "for the good of Saudi Arabia."

The money isn't of significance to them, owning the thing that you have or even you yourself, is. The legacy and ability to say that is 'mine' as well getting more eyes and tourism to Saudi itself is the currency they truly value.

It's a thing you rarely see in the West as money is all here. But that's how it is.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are quite fucked. They need to generate a revenue stream that isn't oil but nothing accrues money faster than fossil fuels. Their only other export is money but the money came from oil.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    A sad day.

Does anyone even watch it? Other than buying all the stuff, and monumental greed, I still don't really understand where any of this is going in the long run. Or is the answer that the world simply doesn't need 99% of it's population, the 'brand experiences' of a tiny minority is all that will be needed to sustain this? Somehow I think not. it's not like petrodollars are a new thing. Sports, like all cultural things, actually needs a culture to support their existence. I don't think everything can be Formula 1, which, incidentally, also massively relies on grass roots fans but has long been at the vanguard of jetset interest movement.
    Denny McCarthy made $6.7 million on the PGA Tour in the most recent season. Do you know who Denny McCarthy is? He has never won at tour level, and has a single top 15 finish from the nine majors he has played to date. Very few people have ever watched Denny McCarthy play golf on a sustained basis. Despite this he earns more money than Dejan Kulusevski, Julian Alvarez, Joel Matip, that level of Premier League footballer. Golf is still drowning in a post-Woods corporate bonanza which has made these schmos think they are genuinely worth this kind of money. Add in the PIF howitzering petro-dollars at the top guys for whatever reason and you've got a sport where most of the participants are massively overpaid AND are also bitterly jealous of their even better paid rivals. It has all the hallmarks of a coming nuclear winter.

And of course no one watches LIV and still won't even with Rahm, because it doesn't mean anything. The majors matter; certain other events matter a bit (say, the LA Open, or Bay Hill, or the Scottish Open, which all have their own cachet). LIV isn't about cachet though, it's about the Saudis sticking their oar in.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 08-12-2023 at 05:41 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see Benni's younger brother doing so well.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I hearing the beginning of the McIlroy heel turn?

Or is it more likely he's just reading the room and needs to appear to be more open to the people that own his sport now?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think his point is nuanced enough to be defendable as not backtracking or whatever. Is there going to be a Saudi season for everything? Don't they only really have one season anyway, too hot to sustain meaningful life?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not heel turning at all, he's being sensible but also not being a massive sellout. Very impressed with him throughout all this.

I couldn't have a lower opinion of Rahm. Those who wanted to take the money, like DJ or Reed, fine, take the money, good luck to you. Rahm going on for two years about LIV being shit and then joining them for a higher number when he saw an opportunity was just pathetic. His word will never again mean a thing.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they want this to all work out they should probably keep Greg Norman as far away from media outlets as possible. I thought that had already been initiated to some extent?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Hatton has joined Meronk on the dark side.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sport is in big trouble if they don't come back together pronto.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They 100% will, and I think it'll be this year. The only problem now is LIV have all the leverage in the merger deal.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I read that the tour were doing some weird deal with US private equity that didn't involve LIV. I dunno, it's a mess.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Rory is softening his stance. Deffo means there is going to be a coming together of minds. Namaste.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there will be some agreement whereby LIV operates mainly in the October-January window, or only on weeks the PGA Tour has a shite event on.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Dean

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn’t expect that

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we getting a Masters breakdown this year, Jim?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eckroat & Bhatia

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two debutants, good one.

I like Hideki more than anyone, nowhere near enough time these days for a full shakedown.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some geezer posted trends from previous winners and I just picked the two longest shots from it

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camera work is so fucking bad

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't get to see anything yesterday, really hope the LIV twats (especially Bryson) choke hard today.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m utterly disappointed that’s what the female commentator looks like. She sounds like she should be blonde and a milf not an overweight granny that could pass for a bloke

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert in these things but I reckon she's aged like a fine wine. In her prime wasn't a beauty up against the bronzed Americans of the 90s. Beat them all though.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm picturing Jimmy talking about Laura Davies there because nobody has said a name.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just turned it on and of all people I never expected Nick Faldo to join the child shoes brigade.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Laura Davies.

Enjoying the golf this evening, absolute carnage ahoy if this wind stays up. Anyone coming in at 4 and 5 under now is in clover.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tiger making the cut. Pretty incredible given he can't walk.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's almost more fun watching him now than in his prime. 73-72 at a fizzing, blowy Augusta while having to hobble between shots and having to brute force it around with his upper body alone. If you gave Rory McIlroy Tiger's body he'd shoot about 110.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only Hojgaard didn’t bogey 17 & 18 yesterday. What a fucking putt whilst Scheffler double bogies.

He’ll probably fall away but this has been class. Maybe they’ll start showing all his shots now

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hojgaard is a mega golfer. Be surprised if his arse doesn't go over these last six though.

Scottie spotting the field a few is generous of him.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s already started. Back to back bogies now. Fuck sake.

Shaping up well here for a cracker tomorrow

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13 now being a tougher proposition has turned it into a completely different course. Now just full on brutality from basically 9 second shot until the end. 16 maybe the only 'easy' hole depending on the pin.

Look at them all shitting the bed on 12, amazing stuff. The course is undefeated.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might be the championship with that eagle. Hopefully I’ve jinxed him now.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll win easily, has gifted the field like 5-6 shots with tiddly putts and so on in the first three days. He's miles ahead of everyone and literally never makes a mental error.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Hojgaard is a mega golfer. Be surprised if his arse doesn't go over these last six though.

Scottie spotting the field a few is generous of him.
    He’s going to finish over par at this rate from -7

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re all Aberg aren’t we

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love him to pull this off.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Scheffler will prove too much sadly.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah here he goes. Incredible golfer.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scheffler is just awesome to watch. Would love a close finish but he deserves to win.