0 Thread(s)
    Someone post that on RAWK.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davgooner View Post
    Anyone not heading over is a mug.
    It isn't a reason not to go, any more than 9/11 is a reason not to go to New York. But the islamics will be loving the idea of big crowds every day for a month. Better get the Belgian team bus checked.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    The Euros are going to be fun.
    Really glad I decided to not hang about the shit hole of pas de Calais and instead head to Brussels for a few days.

Top decision.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the circles for?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael Jackson fans?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiding detonators with gloves.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1458652897

Footage pretty much straight after the explosion at the airport. Seriously unnerving stuff. Still...can't believe the first reaction would be to film it rather than:

a) get the fuck out
    b) help others

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Left handed as well. Monsters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Can somebody change the title to 'Two Explosions at...'? It looks rubbish as it is.

I read a sometimes-rambling article the other day on this that puts it down to their being a non-country. Every election results in a fudge, which is only resolved when more and more powers are devolved down to [bent] local politicians, until Brussels has about a million different police forces (passports were only recently centralised as well, so they used to be the papers of choice for these people) barely helping each other.
    Aye, the Belgian security forces don't even engage with each other, which does somewhat damage the idea that being in the EU is essential for cross-state security and information sharing.

This is going to keep happening, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odds on a bombing at the France-Holland game later?

leedsrevolution
    Did these guys actually get through security? Was it arrivals or departure lounge?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Departure I think.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mert's lost some weight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a series of anti-terror raids under way in Brussels right now. They seem to happen right after something has, you know, happened. You'd think it would be sensible to pre-empt the matter and go in early.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    There's a series of anti-terror raids under way in Brussels right now. They seem to happen right after something has, you know, happened. You'd think it would be sensible to pre-empt the matter and go in early.
    I mean, they have been doing exactly that. I'm sure they have new leads now too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leedsrevolution View Post
    Did these guys actually get through security? Was it arrivals or departure lounge?
    I'm sure I heard on the radio that it was in a publicly accessible area so they hadn't been through any security.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    I'm sure I heard on the radio that it was in a publicly accessible area so they hadn't been through any security.
    Was at a check-in desk wasn't it?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a coffee shop I think, places you could walk off the street into.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A check-in desk?

#pray4phonics
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering this is probably an attack before the bloke they caught gave it away, what should they have done? Shot the entire population of Molenbeek?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their different security services talking with each other properly would be a start.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Belgian security official said, they're so overwhelmed at this point that you even have your everyday police officers working on potential jihadi cases. Unless you help them hire another several thousand officers who won't be prepped for years. What's the point in throwing shade?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Dope on the table".

They must be under the impression they're building something bigger so don't want to give it all up on small fish.

That being said small fish that can explode are still not ideal.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    As a Belgian security official said, they're so overwhelmed at this point that you even have your everyday police officers working on potential jihadi cases. Unless you help them hire another several thousand officers who won't be prepped for years. What's the point in throwing shade?
    Yeah guys, stop throwing shade on the po-po. Ain't respectin the 5-0.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't some actions that happen now bound to be accelerated timelines because of the arrest?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would seem clear to external observers that an attack in Brussels was extremely likely. It's a city with a 25% Muslim population (here), and there is clearly a resulting homegrown terrorist issue - there are strong links between the city and the Paris attackers, and its widely acknowledged that the Molenbeek district is a genuine 'no go' area. The city was shut down in December for several days in anticipation of a major attack, whilst they've recently arrested Europe's most wanted man in the Molenbeek district itself.

They knew all this, and they knew their security services a) aren't properly structured or effective at sharing information across inter-departmental channels and b) simply don't have the manpower to process the volume of information / intelligence that they need.

The British beat the IRA through intelligence gathering. The IRA was so riddled with informants that the British state were informed of and able to prevent numerous proposed atrocities. Some got through, but a hell of a lot didn't. The lessons one takes from that are that intelligence works - and the Belgians are openly acknowledging that they simply are not putting the resources they need in to what, in this case, amounts to a 'homegrown' terrorist issue within their capital. This would raise very serious questions about the merit of European cooperation, whereby if the Belgians don't have the resources to effectively manage internal Belgian security issues, what hope is there that they'll be able to process and share vital information with their European partners? It's a huge lesson which needs to be learned by European state security services.

One of the previously mentioned issues is that we simply don't know who has entered the Schengen area from Syria through Turkey. It's highly likely that other terrorists with bomb-making skills and a willingness to employ them are at large in Europe, largely as a result of a complete absence of EU leadership on the migrant issue over a year ago when it started - not a year later when the fucking horse is already three miles down the road and you're asking Turkey for the key so you can try and lock the stable. The only way to combat this is going to be intelligence gathering and, where possible, paid state informants. This is far more difficult in a 'cell-based' approach than in the IRA's more formal hierarchical structures. Still, it's the only way and the Belgians need to get their act together as Brussels, right now, is the prime hotspot of European-based Islamic terrorism.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any idea of the reasoning behind all this fuckris? What is the end goal...

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People say it's because that guy got arrested but they've been saying they'll do this for weeks, if not months.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Anyone have any idea of the reasoning behind all this fuckris? What is the end goal...
    http://www.thenation.com/article/her...-motives/?nc=1

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's unlikely we'll ever find out one way or another but they were clearly planning something anyway so it's a bit academical.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is all rather obvious, so you wonder whether he had to STUDY EVERY SUICIDE ATTACK IN THE WORLD just to reinforce the point. Meanwhile, my mother can't get her head around why you get religious terrorists when 'Allah or whoever' says not to kill people. You should have a word. I don't suppose they've even realised.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea that Sincere is only just now hearing about ISIS has tickled me.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, Ive heard about them previously, but ive not looked into anything in any detail. I know the gang has allegedly been responsible for murders all around the world for some time. I was just unaware of the reason behind it all. It all appeared to be just for instagram followers and rewtweets.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't ever change, Sincere.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allegedly.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do it again, Muslims.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    That is all rather obvious, so you wonder whether he had to STUDY EVERY SUICIDE ATTACK IN THE WORLD just to reinforce the point. Meanwhile, my mother can't get her head around why you get religious terrorists when 'Allah or whoever' says not to kill people. You should have a word. I don't suppose they've even realised.
    I haven't even read it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Belgian state broadcaster RTBF is reporting that two of the suspected terrorist suicide-bombers at Brussels airport were Khalid and Ibrahim el-Bakraoui.

The Belgian el-Bakraoui brothers were well-known to the police as longstanding criminals in the Belgian capital and more recently it emerged they had clear links to November’s Paris attacks.

This connection to the Paris attacks and to recent police raids in Brussels, in which some suspects escaped from police, is a very significant development. If the Brussels bombers prove to be part of the same cell as the Paris attackers, this will raise serious questions about potential police and intelligence failings.

The el-Bakraoui brothers are from Brussels and have a long history in organised crime in Belgium. They were among the suspects on the run and being hunted by Belgian police since the police raids of recent days.

One of the brothers had rented the flat in Forest, south west Brussels which was raided by police last Tuesday, exactly a week before the Brussels attacks, and where Salah Abdeslam, the Paris suspect had been present. In that Forest raid, heavy weapons and an Islamic State flag were found and one member of the Paris attacks cell, an Algerian Mohamed Belkaďd, was shot by a police sniper.

One of the el-Bakraoui brothers is also known to have rented one of the hideouts of the Paris jihadist team, in Charleroi in Belgium, where two of the attackers met before heading to Paris in November to carry out the attacks that killed 130 people: Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the ringleader, and Bilal Hadfi, one of the Stade de France suicide bombers.

One of the el-Bakraoui brothers is also believed to have provided ammunition and weapons for the Paris attacks in which gunmen opened fire on bars and at a rock concert at the Bataclan, RTBF reported.
    Belgian police. These guys have KNOWN ties to the Paris attackers, how can you let this happen?

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's the case they should have had an 'unfortunate accident' long ago.

Actually it's at the stage now where their heads should be pasted over a wall no questions asked.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dece they're part of the same cell, rather than a new bunch of brainwashed fanatics.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't arrest everyone those guys were Facebook friends with.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old man informs me he is now in favour of internment for all teh muslims.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    You can't arrest everyone those guys were Facebook friends with.
    No, but you can have active surveillance on those that have recent weapon charges on them.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it true that the brothers supplied the weapons for the Paris attacks? Fuck me, if so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly what I was talking about. A failure of intelligence and a failure to act early enough to prevent 'known' terrorists carrying out an attack which they knew was on the cards. That simply cannot happen.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly what I was talking about. A failure of intelligence and a failure to act early enough to prevent 'known' terrorists carrying out an attack which they knew was on the cards. That simply cannot happen.
    Does anybody here know why the Belgians in particular are so shit at this? I understand the temptation to make this a European problem (and I get that it is in terms of transmission) but we don't seem to have such issues in France, Germany or the Netherlands. Or indeed here, and we're all only next door.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their security services a) aren't properly structured or effective at sharing information across inter-departmental channels and b) simply don't have the manpower to process the volume of information / intelligence that they need.

This isn't on given we, and other European countries, are going to need to rely on Belgian intelligence and information sharing with them. It should be a strong argument for remaining in the EU to protect this information flow, but they can't even sort themselves out internally.