Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Football March 19th - 21st

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I do like the seethe from Magic while his club sinks into irrelevance.

Chin up mate, Leeds will be good again at some point.
    No we won't.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leice'ster have fluked it all season and will ruin our coefficient next year. And they're on drugs.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RL and I are going to start spamming threads when the horse egg chat starts.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The league table is only an exact science if you believe that luck plays no part in football.

But Leicester have been the best team; if they stay five points clear it would be a pretty good indicator that luck was not the deciding factor.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The discussion has moved on to the talk of 1 point difference making a team better or worse than the other. Remember this discussion started about Sunderland being as good as a mid-table side which is 10+ points difference. One is mental, the other is inconsequential.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not an EXACT SCIENCE, but I can't recall too many champion/relegated teams who didn't deserve it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about Liverpool the other year?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is EXACT SCIENCE in that you know EXACTLY what goes into it. As in, if you win (by scoring EXACTLY more goals than your opponent) you get EXACTLY three points. If you draw (by scoring EXACTLY the same amount of goals as you opposition) you get EXACTLY one point and if you lose (you know what goes here) you get zero points. Then at the end, the table is decided EXACTLY by who has more points (followed by goal difference and shit.)

The above is, I'm sure you will agree, far more EXACT than determining which team is 'better' based on NON-EXACT measurements such as who passes the ball around nicer, or who is more 'incisive' or whose players have more 'flair' or who got lucky or whatever other shit. So yes, it does not get any more EXACT than the bloody table.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    What about Liverpool the other year?
    They couldn't defend and BOTTLED IT.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    It is EXACT SCIENCE in that you know EXACTLY what goes into it. As in, if you win (by scoring EXACTLY more goals than your opponent) you get EXACTLY three points. If you draw (by scoring EXACTLY the same amount of goals as you opposition) you get EXACTLY one point and if you lose (you know what goes here) you get zero points. Then at the end, the table is decided EXACTLY by who has more points (followed by goal difference and shit.)

The above is, I'm sure you will agree, far more EXACT than determining which team is 'better' based on NON-EXACT measurements such as who passes the ball around nicer, or who is more 'incisive' or whose players have more 'flair' or who got lucky or whatever other shit. So yes, it does not get any more EXACT than the bloody table.
    This is how I think Toby views football. He has no understanding of 'the beautiful game', and is one of those cunts that thinks it's purely a results business. BORING.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can watch football for many reasons and derive enjoyment from different facets of the game, but the EXACTNESS of the table cannot and shall not be denied.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    They couldn't defend and BOTTLED IT.
    The par league doesn't lie. Just like the hips.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    This is how I think Toby views football. He has no understanding of 'the beautiful game', and is one of those cunts that thinks it's purely a results business. BORING.
    There's nothing wrong with enjoying one aspect over another or liking how a team plays despite the results they get but the league table is absolutely a points business. It's the entire point of a league.

Now piss off back to your margarine sandwiches.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The par table.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine Leicester have had more penalties than Liverpool had a few years ago.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    If you finish a point above another team at the end of the season then you're inarguably better by one point.
    It means you've finished a point ahead. That's it. There are any number of reasons team A finished one point ahead of team B.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    It means you've finished a point ahead. That's it. There are any number of reasons team A finished one point ahead of team B.
    The main one being that they were better over 38 league games.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck the Champions League, high profile preseason friendlies is when you know you've hit the big time.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/35872998

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The discussion has moved on to the talk of 1 point difference making a team better or worse than the other. Remember this discussion started about Sunderland being as good as a mid-table side which is 10+ points difference. One is mental, the other is inconsequential.
    Swansea are ten points ahead of us. Four games ago they were four points ahead of us (we also have a game in hand) and we looked like catching them. If you think it's 'mental' to suggest that Sunderland might have a squad as good as someone like Swansea (and I include the other teams in and around that area) then crack on, but I'll pull you up when a side suddenly pulls back a ten point gap in a few games and makes you look a prat.

When about when it was only two points for a win and league tables could look different with the EXACT same results?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said the distance was big, in fact it's about as small as it can get. If you want to get into it I'd say teams within five or so points of each other are broadly similar in terms of quality, but the teams who get more have still done better.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said the distance was big, in fact it's about as small as it can get. If you want to get into it I'd say teams within five or so points of each other are broadly similar in terms of quality, but the teams who get more have still done better.
    They've done better because they have more points. Obviously. It doesn't mean they are better. It really isn't far fetched to suggest that in another season Newcastle and Sunderland could have been on par with or above Swansea, Watford, Bournemouth and West Brom, and that they have as good a squads.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Fuck the Champions League, high profile preseason friendlies is when you know you've hit the big time.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/35872998
    I'm not really a fan of this, to be honest. We'll make quite enough money from being in the Champions' League.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've done better because they have more points. Obviously. It doesn't mean they are better. It really isn't far fetched to suggest that in another season Newcastle and Sunderland could have been on par with or above Swansea, Watford, Bournemouth and West Brom, and that they have as good a squads.
    There's no such thing as "better" in the normative sense dude. There's better performance-wise, and there's the predictive power of better, performance-wise, in hypothetical scenarios, but nothing else.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swansea are ten points ahead of us. Four games ago they were four points ahead of us (we also have a game in hand) and we looked like catching them.
    You didn't though, did you?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the games Swansea played in that period, was obvious they'd get a lot of points during that run. Anyone who thought Sunderland would catch a Swansea side with a better goal difference, far better team, four extra points and games against Villa, Norwich and Bournemouth is a mad man.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I can't imagine Leicester have had more penalties than Liverpool had a few years ago.
    They'd be four points better off if they had scored the two penalties they missed. They seem to have had loads of penalties but it's all about getting players/ball in the box.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The above is, I'm sure you will agree, far more EXACT than determining which team is 'better' based on NON-EXACT measurements such as who passes the ball around nicer, or who is more 'incisive' or whose players have more 'flair'
    Nobody's mentioned anything about that.

Luck plays a part in football, so the league table is not 100% conclusive in determining who is a better team. Do you not agree that some teams get more luck than others? That's how luck works.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done better/are better, were slicing our regional delicacy of choice very thinly here. As for the second part, yes they may have (subjectively) slightly better or worse squads but it isn't just about how good your players are, I could manage Barcelona next year with the same squad they have now and I'm pretty sure they'd be terrible because I don't know what I'm doing.

I would absolutely agree with you if you were talking about their potential, we've seen this year how effective an unheralded group of players can be given the right coaching and motivation, but come the end of the season a team with more points is objectively better at league football.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get ready for the Super League in a few years, Lee and Max. http://www.theguardian.com/football/...-champions-cup

leedsrevolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Nobody's mentioned anything about that.

Luck plays a part in football, so the league table is not 100% conclusive in determining who is a better team. Do you not agree that some teams get more luck than others? That's how luck works.
    You are (in my opinion) thinking way to much into it. Football teams are judged on points at the end of the season, it's really as simple as that. You create your own luck don't you know.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of the worst arguments we've ever had.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And people said we would miss Harold, never underestimate TTH's capacity for pointless fannying.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy Walsh has resigned as general manager at FC United. It's been a while coming and will hopefully allow the club to move forward and return to what it was built for.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it built for anything other than, "Those Glazers will bankrupt United by 2012. Just watch."?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a fan created club to return the enjoyment to football without the pricks. They've largely succeeded but the cult of leadership has tarnished the club in recent months.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Look at the games Swansea played in that period, was obvious they'd get a lot of points during that run. Anyone who thought Sunderland would catch a Swansea side with a better goal difference, far better team, four extra points and games against Villa, Norwich and Bournemouth is a mad man.
    Apologies, I was thinking about when we beat them in mid-january. We were a point behind them. We then got back to within three points of them at the start of March.

But aye, MADNESS.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    You didn't though, did you?
    No, but it wasn't 'madness' to suggest we might. It was perfectly plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    There's no such thing as "better" in the normative sense dude. There's better performance-wise, and there's the predictive power of better, performance-wise, in hypothetical scenarios, but nothing else.
    And there's occasions when there's very little to separate teams, which I believe is the case in this scenario.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done better/are better, were slicing our regional delicacy of choice very thinly here. As for the second part, yes they may have (subjectively) slightly better or worse squads but it isn't just about how good your players are, I could manage Barcelona next year with the same squad they have now and I'm pretty sure they'd be terrible because I don't know what I'm doing.

I would absolutely agree with you if you were talking about their potential, we've seen this year how effective an unheralded group of players can be given the right coaching and motivation, but come the end of the season a team with more points is objectively better at league football.
    I started off by saying ours and Newcastle's squads are about as good as anything else in the bottom half, barring one or two sides. You've now pretty much agreed.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Andy Walsh has resigned as general manager at FC United. It's been a while coming and will hopefully allow the club to move forward and return to what it was built for.
    Are you seeing them much? We have another lad from there (George Thomson) who is in our school doing coaching a fair bit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never really. Different city.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started off by saying ours and Newcastle's squads are about as good as anything else in the bottom half, barring one or two sides. You've now pretty much agreed.
    No, they might have the potential to be as good but so far they've been demonstrably worse and if they get less points across the season they will be a worse team.

And I'm beginning to hate myself so that's it, let's move on.