0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    forty days annual leave in my new job.
    ffs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is feminism to blame for mothers not being able to afford to stay at home with their children? Do you pine for the days of women at home and men as breadwinners, or for the days of children down coal mines because their families can't afford their dinner otherwise?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I hope @Toby is fucking busier in his new job. For the sake of the board.
    I'm 'working from home' today.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    How is feminism to blame for mothers not being able to afford to stay at home with their children? Do you pine for the days of women at home and men as breadwinners, or for the days of children down coal mines because their families can't afford their dinner otherwise?
    Because they don't believe they 'need men' any more. Single mothers is the crux of the problem. Men used to earn and the women used to raise the children, by and large. Roles were more well defined.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QE Harold Flair View Post
    Because they don't believe they 'need men' any more. Single mothers is the crux of the problem. Men used to earn and the women used to raise the children, by and large. Roles were more well defined.
    Your quote says nothing about single parents. In a two parent family mothers are still perfectly free to stay home and work. Presumably if they haven't chosen to do that, they and their partner put extra financial stability ahead of staying happily at home though. I guess people want to cherry pick the nice bits of Victorian lifestyle without the skrimping and saving that goes with one parent's salary supporting a family.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't have to say anything about single parents. That's something I am bringing to the table. Mothers are of course free to work, but they don't sem to be as happy doing so.

Meanwhile:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QE Harold Flair View Post
    It doesn't have to say anything about single parents. That's something I am bringing to the table. Mothers are of course free to work, but they don't sem to be as happy doing so.
    So they have the choice not to work and to take the sacrifices that come with that decision. It'll be particularly difficult for single parents, but then they also had the choice not to have a baby with a man they didn't want to live with.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    So they have the choice not to work and to take the sacrifices that come with that decision. It'll be particularly difficult for single parents, but then they also had the choice not to have a baby with a man they didn't want to live with.
    Yes, becasue now they think they have to have a career to be happy. What they find is, apparently, the opposite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But they're not happy, and they have the choice to change that. It's not the fault of feminists if these mothers are incapable of making decisions that lead to their own happiness. They have more choice now, whereas a hundred years ago they largely did not.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, and that 'more choice' has led them to believe they have to have a career. That's what is being fed to women these days. And they are unhappier for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you've quoted one unhappy lady and a detail-less report of a survey that agrees with her. I know plenty of mums who stay at home with their kids, and plenty of happy mums who do not, if that's all the evidence we're working with. Whatever the case, mothers still have as much choice not to work as they ever did, and if they choose to do so anyway that's on them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a fact that women have been getting unhappier over the last decades. It's uindeniable. You just choose to ignore it because you don't like what it says.

But hey, you know plenty of mums. So I guess that trumps anything actual polls show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be a fact that surveys report women being unhappier - you've yet to actually post any evidence of that but let's take your word for it. We've already been over several of the reasons those surveys are worthless.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only went out for a couple of hours. Did he miss me that much?