User Tag List

Thread: Where Are They Now?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where Are They Now?

I keep thinking of random players who I though were going to turn into something, and wondering whatever happened to them.

Matt Derbyshire

Why should we know him?

After briefly playing non-league for Darwin and Great Harwood Town, at the age of 17 he turned down Manchester United to instead join Blackburn Rovers, where he hoped he would get more first team opportunities.
    After brief, but successful loans spells with Plymouth (12/0) and Wrexham (16/10,) he broke through at Blackburn in the second half of the 2006/7 season at the age of 21, ending the season with 9 goals from 14 starts.
    I always just remembered him being not particular quick, not a particularly big or strong... but just always in the right place and with a tidy finish - a little bit like Robbie Fowler, everything appeared very natural to him. I genuinely though he would go on the bigger and brighter things.

So, what happened to him?
    Derbyshire did well at Blackburn under Mark Hughes and then later Paul Ince, however, the arrival of Sam Allardyce saw Derbyshire's first-team opportunities limited. After joining Greek outfit Olympiacos on loan, Derbyshire revealed, "Mark Hughes had been great, Paul Ince had been OK but under Sam Allardyce I got no respect at all. I know I was a young player but he treated me like someone who had never given anything to the club. I just wasn't involved. At my age I have to play to get better, so I asked my agent if he could get me a move. About a month later he came back and said, 'Olympiacos are very interested.'"
    During this loan spell with Olympiacos, in which he scored 5 in 7, he scored his first goal against bitter rivals PAOK Salonika, and then most memorably a couple in the Greek Cup Final. With Olympiacos 2-0 at half time to rivals AEK Athens, Derbyshire was introduced at half-time and scored immediately after the break to make it 2-1. He then completed the comeback in injury time, scoring his second goal to force the game into extra-time. Olympiacos went on to win the game on penalties, and Derbyshire's performance and goals thrust him into the limelight and brought him instant cult hero status, earning the nickname The English Killer. At the end of the season Olympiacos paid £3m to make the move permanent.

After just three season in Greece (which included a loan spell at Birmingham City (20/3), new Olympiacos coach Ernesto Valverde told Derbyshire that he was no longer required at the club.
    He joined Nottingham Forest on a 3yr deal for an undisclosed fee in the summer of 2011, stating his desire to play first-team football.
    He went on the play 51 games for Forest, finding the net 12 times. During his Forest career, he spent loan time with Oldham (20/6) and Blackpool (12/0)

Where is he now?
    In May 2014 Derbyshire joined Rotherham United for free, signing a 2yr contract. He has gone on to make 55 appearances, scoring 13 goals.
    Still only 29, he is very much still playing for Rotherham, having appeared in 19 so far this season.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those figures kinda tell you everything. He's not a consistent goalscorer.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. Something like 1 in 5, or even 1 in 6.

I just remember him breaking through, and thinking this this guy was going to be something. Shame.
    Fair play to him for heading to Greece, though.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was like a less annoying Jon Stead.
    I'm a twit

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Derbyshire being 29 is fucking gross. In my head he was still a youngish prospect who could still make it. Time is weird.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always confuse him with Matt Jansen, even though the latter is probably in his 40s by now.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reece Oxford

Back in July 2015 West Ham travelled to Andorran giants Lusitanos in the prestigious UEFA Europa League First Qualifying round, and starting in the midfield for his debut was 16 year old Reece Oxford.

Oxford, an Arsenal-supporting holding midfielder would go on to make his Premier League debut the following month starting away to the Gunners in a 2-0 loss, being replaced by Kevin Nolan in the 79th minute. That first season would see Oxford rack up 12 appearances for the hammers, including 7 in the Premier League.

A bright future beckoned, with many an article confirming that England had a new saviour. England legend Trevor Brooking confirmed that the 2020 Euros was merely a formality*.

“Saido is one. Adam Armstrong at Newcastle, Edwards is a very good player and Joe Gomez is a good prospect at Charlton and they’re battling to keep hold of him.

“Reece Oxford, the centre-half at West Ham... [Chelsea's] Jay Dasilva at left-back... Chris Willock, the Arsenal lad, is good... Ruben Loftus-Cheek is breaking through into the Chelsea first team.

“We now have depth, and there’s a real struggle to get into the under-21 squad.

“James Ward-Prowse... [Derby's] Will Hughes is a good player, progressing really well, [Spurs'] Tom Carroll is a good prospect. Carl Jenkinson has had a good season [on loan from Arsenal to West Ham], Luke Shaw [of Manchester United] on the other side, and they will both motor on.”
    *Carl Jenkinson, Tom Carroll, Jay Dasilva and their chums did not manage to help England to win Euro 2020.

Oxford would not go on to better those 12 appearances in a single season during the following 5 years as he struggled to find any form out on loan.

After the impressive debut campaign, West Ham shipped him off to Reading where he would feature just 5 times all season as a Jaap Stam inspired Reading climbed to 3rd in the Championship, only to lose out on promotion in the playoff final.

Then, much to his credit, and still only 18, Oxford applied for his passport and headed to Borussia Monchengladbach in the Bundesliga for another loan spell. Despite waiting more than 2 months to make his debut, he quickly followed that up with a start at home to Freiberg when after the game Gladbach Sporting Director Max Eberl praised Oxford's development during his time at the club and stated exploratory talks had taken place over a permanent deal. He featured in 3 games in the first half of the season.

His loan was cut short and he returned to West Ham on 29 December 2017.
    Bizarrely, 3 weeks later, he re-joined Gladbach but featured in just 4 games in the second half of the season.

Despite the struggles at Gladbach, he wasn't put off and the following season he joined Augsburg on loan. Despite again struggling for appearances (making just 8 all season), Augsburg decided to make the deal permanent for €2m.

He finally started to become a first team player in 2020-2021 amassing 24 league games, and followed that up with 30 appearances in 2021-2022.

However, aged 24, things seems to be going backwards again for the midfielder as he has started just 1 game all season, and came on as a sub another 2 times.

He has one more year left on his contract at Augsburg - it will be interesting to see where he ends up next, still then aged only 25.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...oolboy-arsenal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-midfield.html