User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are Leicester actually going to win the Premier League?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

25 58.14%
  • No!

18 41.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leicester

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leicester

Can they actually do this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going with yes. Five point gap and a mostly okay run of fixtures once they pump Arsenal. There's no doubt it's influenced by really wanting them to do it but I'm going to choose to be optimistic for a change.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love to see it but no. 5 points is shag all with so many games left. It'll die off towards the end of March.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't seem to get any major injuries. If Vardy and/or Mahrez went down they might struggle.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they will. There's something magical about them. Today solidified it for me but for a long time I've thought it was possible which most people didn't seem to.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not watched a single minute of football this season but I hope they win.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck knows. Normal footballing logic seems not to apply.

I think what it reflects is that we're probably now in an era where just spending money won't be enough and to be fair to it I think financial fair play may have been one contributing factor.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Fuck knows. Normal footballing logic seems not to apply.

I think what it reflects is that we're probably now in an era where just spending money won't be enough and to be fair to it I think financial fair play may have been one contributing factor.
    I hope this is true although I still don't really understand Financial Fair Play. I think it was brought in during the period I'd lost interest so I didn't really read much about it.

Can someone give me a quick dummy's guide?

As for Leicester, I really hope so.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It means that clubs can only spend as a proportion of their 'football earnings' or whatever. Obviously there are ways round that but a combination of that, and the 25 man squad limit and the homegrown players has meant that the likes of City and Chelsea have had to be selective in what they spend on.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are their 'football earnings'?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind, found this handy article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29361839

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. They're being chased by a faltering Man Utd in transition, a faltering Man City with half a squad looking to the future and Spurs. On top of that, expectations at the club are all very grounded and 5 points is a reasonable gap to keep them honest.

Sorry, I'll give Arsenal a mention. They're too far back but they could find proper form.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want them to but I don't think they will. I'm almost expecting a point against Arsenal to be followed up by a poor run against the relegation fodder.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Injuries will be key.

Vardy has had quite a few injuries but now seems back to his best, they've missed Schlupp but again he's back soon. They need to keep Mahrez, Huth, Morgan and Kante fit.

Hopefully Ranieri can make use of the extra time to prepare for games.

I would say 50/50.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tottenham will end up winning it with Leicester second. I hope Ranieri can do it though, it's a great story.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tottenham will get a nosebleed if they're above Arsenal March and finish 5th.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think Spurs are still a bit too stodgy. If Aguero stays fit then City will surely be close, unless they've given up to wait for Guardiola, in which case they should all be fired anyway.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not about 'can' but 'when' lads. Can we string it out long enough so Raneri lifts the trophy at Stamford Bridge on the final day?

Think we'll finish 3rd tbh but who knows? It's definitely ON.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Five points is a bit of a cushion, but it's not like five points at the bottom which can be a huge gap. I still think they're going to have a run at some point where the wheels just come off slightly, despite watching them thrash Man City.

I'm still going with no, though I'd love to be wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to say no. It's a fantastic story and I really want them to win it, but I just can't see a scenario where the wheels don't come off at some point.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they genuinely start believing in about 5 games den we will c. At this point, the pressure of actually winning the league is still abstract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, I've been saying no all season, but if there was any match in which they should have been brought back down to Earth, it's away against City. They won that match, so I do not know what to believe anymore.

The title as usual will come down to whoever can beat the small teams.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Injuries will be key.

Vardy has had quite a few injuries but now seems back to his best, they've missed Schlupp but again he's back soon. They need to keep Mahrez, Huth, Morgan and Kante fit.

Hopefully Ranieri can make use of the extra time to prepare for games.
    I would say 50/50.
    Vardy has had one minor injury. And we definitely haven't missed Schlupp. We were conceding goals all over the shop when he and De Laet were our full backs. And he's thick as pigshit; he genuinely gets lost at times. Okay as an impact sub for a bit of pace to stretch the opposition but we are much better without him playing which is why he was dropped long before he got injured.

I don't think we'll win the league. I'll be quite surprised if we aren't in the Champion's League now though. It's all a bit silly.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they do win, I reckon Lee should show up for work the next day in a full Leicester kit and give us a selfie.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own anything Leicester City related. They get quite enough money out of me for my season ticket.

I'm going to be in Amsterdam for the final round of Premier League games. Flying back on the day, actually. If we go into that match with a chance I'm dodging the flght and finding my way back home on the Monday.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Vardy has had one minor injury. And we definitely haven't missed Schlupp. We were conceding goals all over the shop when he and De Laet were our full backs. And he's thick as pigshit; he genuinely gets lost at times. Okay as an impact sub for a bit of pace to stretch the opposition but we are much better without him playing which is why he was dropped long before he got injured.

I don't think we'll win the league. I'll be quite surprised if we aren't in the Champion's League now though. It's all a bit silly.
    I didn't watch much of Leicester at the start of the season, but there was a stretch where Schlupp was playing left wing and as a number ten and looking really dangerous.

Hasn't Vardy been playing with loss of little injuries for the last couple of months. I know he had surgery recently but he's not looked properly fit again until recently.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I didn't watch much of Leicester at the start of the season, but there was a stretch where Schlupp was playing left wing and as a number ten and looking really dangerous.

Hasn't Vardy been playing with loss of little injuries for the last couple of months. I know he had surgery recently but he's not looked properly fit again until recently.
    He had a groin problem which is what his surgery was for. We just played him through it. There was probably a bit of tiredness as well, as there was for all our players through Christmas and the first part of January.

Schlupp was playing left back. Unfortunately for him that means being a left winger. He hasn't deliberately been played as a winger. He hasn't played as a 10 this season. Mind you he's too stupid to realise what he's doing to there will no doubt have been times he has taken it upon himself to play somewhere different, completely by accident.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm more convinced by the emotional argument against Leicester winning the league - that things this good don't really happen - than by any cold footballing ones.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think they'll win the league. A combination of them being a very good team, wanting it more than anyone else, and each of the usual challengers being far from their best incarnations.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He had a groin problem which is what his surgery was for. We just played him through it. There was probably a bit of tiredness as well, as there was for all our players through Christmas and the first part of January.

Schlupp was playing left back. Unfortunately for him that means being a left winger. He hasn't deliberately been played as a winger. He hasn't played as a 10 this season. Mind you he's too stupid to realise what he's doing to there will no doubt have been times he has taken it upon himself to play somewhere different, completely by accident.
    I was watching at St Mary's where Schlupp was playing left wing, Fuchs started at full back and Mahrez was on the bench. Mahrez came on for Schlupp and changed the game. Then I remember watching the Watford game where Fuchs was left back and Schlupp/Mahrez where swapping between left wing and number ten in the first half. I'm sure there where other games as well, Fuchs has been starting left back for ages.

May be wrong but I though Schlupp played left back for the first few games and didn't play there again after the Arsenal game?

Either way just an observation, always looked a decent attacking option to me. Literally can't be worse than Dyer.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Schlupp has played left wing a few times since the Arsenal game, often when Mahrez goes central. I like him, he's fucking mad but is a good outlet.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There you go then, shows how much attention I pay to what's going on.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I think they will do it. I've had that feeling for quite a while and then thumping City (while completely out playing them too) has solidified it. Hope they lift it at the bridge though. Anyone else winning it now would be a joke as everyone else has been shit.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There you go then, shows how much attention I pay to what's going on.
    I only knew because I had him in one of my fantasy teams. The holy grail of a defender playing in an attacking role.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha same here.

The same reason I noticed Fuchs being such a beast, may I add.

People say Kante doesn't get enough praise, because it all falls to Vardy and Mahrez, but Fuchs and Drinkwater seem like the real unsung heroes to me.

That being said, Kante has had an absolute worldy of a season.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's clear quality in that side. I think they're the real deal to sustain it - there are so many variables that my 'yes' is merely a commitment that they have the ability to win it as opposed to a prediction, but I really do think we've reached the point that it's for Lecieater to lose at this stage.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I'm more convinced by the emotional argument against Leicester winning the league - that things this good don't really happen - than by any cold footballing ones.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep wondering if Pearson would've gotten this far with them. Its a wave he started but I think Ranieri's mentality's a bit more proper.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what it's done for his cv in the eyes of potential employers.

Is he the man that built this side and who put them in that position through their great end to last season, or just the guy that kept them up for Ranieri to add to the side and push them onto the next level?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's other things to take into account, sure. Like how he definitely looked publicly like someone who felt the pressure. Not good PR if your manager is calling people ostriches. Plus the manner in which he lost his job. On the other hand, he's got a proven track record at Championship level and can keep a Premiership side up.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Villa next year?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is more 'can they win the Champions League next year?'

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just running this through a predictor (sponsored by Team Spreadsheet) and I've somehow ended up with this going into the final games:

1 Manchester City 37 21 10 6 76 32 44 73
    2 Leicester 37 20 13 4 66 39 27 73
    3 Tottenham 37 19 14 4 60 28 32 71
    4 Arsenal 37 20 11 6 59 29 30 71

And the final fixtures:

Arsenal v Aston Villa
    Chelsea v Leicester
    Swansea v Man City
    Newcastle v Tottenham (Newcastle need to win this and hope that Swansea lose if they are to stay up)

I also managed to get fucking United within 4 points of the lead with 4 to play.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see the spelling but there's someone in this Napoli Carpi game that sounds like he's called lasagne.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'd be Kevin Lasagna.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    That'd be Kevin Lasagna.
    Shit, just realised this isn't the weekend thread. I need to make up a transfer rumour that Leicester are after him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a bit of a mincer.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cheesy as fuck.