Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I play regular football!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play regular football!

Ironically (given the title) I was an unused sub today

We had 18 men so I would have expected to be on the bench after I was sub last game, but not to come on at all was a bit disappointing, especially as I was playing a load of old mates. We drew 3-3 after leading 3-1. Good game.

I'm a little miffed at being sub for the past two games after starting the previous three and doing reasonably well. Not really at the manager as he has some tough decisions, just generally. He called me over in training on Wednesday and said he'd like to see me kick on now that I've settled in to the club, and stamp my authority on the team a bit more.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now here's a proper title. No "The Regular Football Thread" shit.

I haven't properly played football in a long time, but me and some friends might start a coed futsal team over the winter. Could be fun.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coed.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Coed.
    We had the 'final' of the co-ed play offs today. Walked it 6-2, helped they were short of players but we were crap until we realized they were just going to roll over.

Got back into it in the 11's a couple of week back. Feeling better with every game but my word we have some shocking players in the side.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started playing 5-a-side again. Turned up tonight and proceeded to spend an hour blowing out my arse.

mss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't meant to be playing Saturday as had no one to watch the kids but went up to watch the 2nd half and we only had one sub and he ref hadn't taken any sub names so got kit on and played 40 minutes.

We won 4-1 against one of the teams who'd be favourites for the league. We actually share our pitch with them so even though we were away we were still on the 3G. First game on grass next week, local derby on a small bobbly pitch which wont help us but we should still pick up the 3 points but im stuggling again to find somone to watch the kids so might not be playing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be playing again in new year. Anyone here done any refereeing? Starting to think its something would like to get involved with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played my comeback game in 8-a-side last week after 11 weeks out due to ankle ligaments going. I was dog rough and blowing hard after about ten minutes but managed a 5 minute hatrick when we were 0-1 down to swing the game in our favour. Spent the remainder of the game strolling round at the back trying not go do myself any harm. It was the first time I've ever had anything approaching a serious injury and couldn't believe how much it affected me. Anybody else done ankle ligaments? How long until it felt 'natural' again?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm playing in a charity match for work on Thursday night. There's a real chance I'll be one of those players whose heart stops on the pitch. I'm just going to sit in defence and do slide tackles, I reckon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandstand View Post
    Played my comeback game in 8-a-side last week after 11 weeks out due to ankle ligaments going. I was dog rough and blowing hard after about ten minutes but managed a 5 minute hatrick when we were 0-1 down to swing the game in our favour. Spent the remainder of the game strolling round at the back trying not go do myself any harm. It was the first time I've ever had anything approaching a serious injury and couldn't believe how much it affected me. Anybody else done ankle ligaments? How long until it felt 'natural' again?
    I've done my knee ligaments and I've never got back to how I was, at least physically. My pace is pretty much gone, and I used to be fairly quick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luckily I've never been super quick so that shouldn't be a problem. Still felt as though I could put on the burners enough to get past someone but a few things e.g. the ball hitting my standing foot (the one I did the ligaments in) & trying to lace a shot just felt totally abnormal, not to mention the amount of challenges I had to completely shit out of for fear that my ankle wouldn't be able to take the impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember it feeling weird, but I took a year off football after that as it was too painful to run on it. I did notice I was avoiding 50/50s whereas before I wouldn't have thought twice, but I'm happy to report that went away and I'm pretty much the same as I was before, minus the speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm playing about once a week, not in a team but just with some people from uni. My fitness is obviously shite and that affects me a lot, I'm just too slow at running ... as one of the few people willing to defend I've just been playing centre-back the past months so I'm getting good defensive understanding but really need to improve fitness or I'm screwed.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having played 6-a-side for 3 or 4 years, I evolved and started my own Sunday league club over the summer. I had no idea how much paperwork was now involved from both the FA and the local league!

We played our first league game last Sunday and won 3-1. That, having lost a county cup game 2-1 the week before. Looking at last season's table and this seasons first few fixtures, we have another winnable game at the weekend. We've set a target of mid-table in this first season.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Now here's a proper title. No "The Regular Football Thread" shit.

I haven't properly played football in a long time, but me and some friends might start a coed futsal team over the winter. Could be fun.
    Futsal really is the best. We play 7 and 11 a side during summer, but the winter futsal is what I live for.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love futsal. Hides my disgusting lack of pace.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you're always in the game as there's so much movement in such a small pitch.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. I also like that the heavier ball hides my shitty touch. And the one-twos.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won 3-0 this morning and it could have been double figures. Everything is still a bit of an unknown because we're a new team, but if that is the level we'll play this season, Sundays are gonna be enjoyable - they were fucking woeful.

I played leftback and was captain for the last 15 minutes. Cleared one off the line after our 'keeper flapped at a corner.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played the full 90 today in centre mid. We won 5-2 and I scored the opening goal. We were reduced to ten men about an hour in when our centre back punched our keeper, but we held it together pretty well.

11 points from 5 games now in the league. Solid start.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punched your keeper?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they don't get on, first off. I get on with them both but the keeper is stubborn and the defender is a bit of a loose cannon.

The keeper parried the ball down and kept it at his feet to waste time. The ref then shouted that he couldn't pick it up, but when he got closed down he did. The ref blew up, defender started bollocking keeper right in his face so the keeper pushed him in the throat area, defender clocked him on his jaw and bust his lip.

They were still going at it in the changing rooms after.

mss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't play Saturday but went to watch. We were winning 2-1 with 14 mins left when the game was abandoned. One of our full backs, only playing there cos I didn't play broke his tibia and fibia I a 50-50. Took over an hour for the ambulance to arrive, he had an op Saturday night to twist the bones back into place then another yesterday to put some steel rods in.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled a muscle in my thigh/quad today and had to go off. I'm not entirely sure what it is though. It's at the top of leg at the front, just below the hip area. I thought it'd properly gone but it actually feels like it's just a strain.

I went into the game with my hamstrings and quads aching a little bit from training, but I'm not sure that was related.

Looking at pictures I'd guess at my Rectus Femoris being the issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you look up an injury to what is called your Hip Flexor.

Did both of mine a couple of years ago. Feels like all the resistance has gone in your thigh muscle, and difficult to raise your leg.

I'd feel fine until I tried to run, or slow down.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically, I've joined the club I was playing against in the OP. My old team fizzled out a bit at the end and we finished 5th, despite only losing 3 all season and finishing 7 points behind the winners. The team I've joined finished 2nd and were promoted to the premier league, so it'll be a tough season as it's a pretty good standard for amateur football.

First friendly was last night. We won 4-2 and I scored a header. We played some really good football and should have had a lot more. I started left back but then moved to centre midfield, and played 80 minutes despite it being rolling subs.

Unfortunately I'm getting problems with my ankle again and it seems to have flaired up again. I was in pain for a couple of hours trying to sleep last night. It's eased now but still sore.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got our first interclub friendlies this weekend which I'm looking forward to. I'm hoping we have a better season than last year when we finished 3rd (ended up being 2nd with bottom dropping out) bottom. I did win Manager's player of the year but that's a bit of a crap award when the team does so poorly.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a good pre season. Won three and drew one, and I scored twice.

However, first league game of the season today and we lost 4-1. We know the premier league will be tough and these finished 4th last season, and in the end we were quite well beaten. I played 70 minutes at left back and 20 at left midfield which isn't ideal but I enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    Had our penultimate pre-season friendly on Saturday and fuck me I haven't missed rock hard pitches. My left knee and shin are now a sorry looking mess.

Good to be back playing football though. Didn't play during first year of uni and was injured during years two and three, so my touch and fitness aren't as good as they used to be. My achilles seems to be much better now so hopefully I can get a couple months of regular football under my belt and start on the road to a decent level.
    It's fucking annoying being shitter at football than you used to be. I've discovered that 5s is my game. Small enough pitch that my still reasonable touch and lack of mobility can still excel.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    It's fucking annoying being shitter at football than you used to be. I've discovered that 5s is my game. Small enough pitch that my still reasonable touch and lack of mobility can still excel.
    Right?!

I joined my old team in Edmonton that plays at the highest local level, and I was shit the entire season. Completely different from five years ago.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a newer thread than this? Could have sworn I've posted more recently in one.

I played against Des Hamilton today - we were in direct competition in centre midfield. The game got called off at half time due to the snow, with us winning 5-2. We were seething a bit, as they're the side who pipped us to the league last season (we both got promoted), and they beat us in the league cup a couple of months back too. We're one place above them in the league and could really do with beating them so they can't catch us.

The pitch had a dusting of snow at the start, but played quite well. Then it got quite heavy and the ref said he could no longer see the markings. It was no worse than at the start of the game.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just scored a princely six goals indoor at lunchtime. Could have had ten if the guy who gets through on goal and toepokes it to the goalkeeper could look up once in a while.

SIX GOALS

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you got on the scoresheet too. Congrats.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    And you got on the scoresheet too. Congrats.
    Cheers. Not that it mattered as we were 6-2 up, but there was about a two or three minute delay between the penalty being given and me taking it. We made a sub and their keeper decided he was going to destroy the penalty spot. It was good to stick it past him.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you still celebrated like Ronaldo in that 4-1 against Atletico in the Champions league final.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ended up chucking the league but still finished second in our league. It's been pretty good though considering we finished third bottom the previous season. Also had a semi final to throw in. Our awards are this weekend and it's difficult to know who's won players' ​player or manager's​ player.

Now only a couple of divisions below the first team.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We finished 6th in our first season in the Premier, so pretty good really. We were much closer to the top teams too, only 5 points off 3rd. Those who finished 3rd won the County Cup last week too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still play in the glorious heights of the Finnish 6th division and we also play futsal during the winter in the 5th division. Both are obviously regional leagues, but after making the step up from the recreational leagues the first season in both was quite encouraging as we came really close to promotion in both (I think missing out on the last day in both leagues).

I prefer futsal these days, but it has been pretty swish to get back to football after the futsal season as we've been training a few times in the home stadium of the biggest team in Finland (HJK). Never thought I'd grace the same pitch as my all time hero Jari Litmanen

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These days I am content to play in Edmonton's Division 3, which has some good players (like me lol) who used to play Div 1 and Premier.

Last night one of my teams played against Korea FC, a team that was full of Koreans. One of their players has scored 31 goals in 10 games or less, and he made everyone on my team, including me and a couple of other former Premier guys, look fucking terrible. Beautiful technique, super agile, and able to just hammer it with either foot.

So why the fuck was he playing Div 3? I talked to one of his teammates. Turns out he's only seventeen, which means that he gets to play as a youth trialist for both Korea FC and a Major League team, which is a step above Premier. Kid probably has a university scholarship waiting for him too.

Just disgusting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Pen @ScousePig come back where r u guyz

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played futsal for the first time in over a year on Monday. My legs are still aching. The worst is my toe, however. It fills like it is about to explode.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance you broke it?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think so. It is becoming black and you can tell that the nail will fall, but I can move it without any issue.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of those. 😒😒😒

I like it when your toe gets stepped on, looks fine but hurts like hell, and then the new nail growth comes in black because of all the blood underneath it. Takes a good six months to fall off, that.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still playing. The weather has killed fixtures from the start of the year (mainly the rain causing our zealous groundsman to call off home games). I've been the second team captain for a couple of seasons and we are doing decent in the league - there is the slight possibility we can be promoted.

I've been in with the first team the past three weeks who used me for the full 180 in the first two games (1 MoM) and then he used me for 10 minutes last time out. The blistering Siberian wind wasn't much good for my health.

I'm working out whether I go ahead and take over managing the second team next year as the current gaffer is taking a step back to prepare his wedding.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    @Pen @ScousePig come back where r u guyz
    What standard are you? As in high amateur, semi-pro etc. It's always interesting when you come up against good players and wonder what level they're capable of. A few people I know are currently at Scarborough, who I think are a couple of leagues below the Conference. I'd class these players as very good, yet they're only good enough for that level.

I've stopped playing XI aside because my team folded. It's just 6s on a Tuesday and 5s on a Thursday.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two big toe nails have been constantly bruised for the past five + years.