User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Music festivals

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    I saw Death Grips at Berghain a month ago or so. Went solo tier, British guy in the crowd with glasses and a pullover told me it was going to be a "feral" experience. I was like lol yeah whatever. Then they come on and the entire crowd turns into a mosh pit. I was pretty much sober for some reason and could only last in the mosh for about 20 minutes. Humanity's greatest art form
    I saw Death Grips for the first time a month ago or so. It was ridiculous, but so good. I normally hate mosh pits, but it wasn't so bad that it was unavoidable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    You're all about the hip hop aren't you?
    Not just hip hop. If anything I've gone off hip hop a bit recently. I just like anything that sounds different, so its mostly electronic stuff I listen to. If it sounds like something I've heard before, I'm probably not interested.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wildlife not getting A Tribe Called Quest when Parklife have is annoying. I suppose there's still time with the full announcement on the 23rd, but getting up to Manchester is so much effort.

Boomtown looks very good, though. The stuff in white down the bottom.

Bestival announced tomorrow too. Does anybody know the capacity of the new location?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to Rock Werchter this year: http://www.rockwerchter.be/en/line-up

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Rock Werchter in 2011. Try to plan as well as you can to deal with the heat during the day. Tin foil around your tent helps to stop you waking up in a pool of your own sweat at 9am. Its a very clean festival, though, and the people there were all great to chat to. Pints were expensive, though, and I didn't come across a supermarket when I was there.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    I went to Rock Werchter in 2011. Try to plan as well as you can to deal with the heat during the day. Tin foil around your tent helps to stop you waking up in a pool of your own sweat at 9am. Its a very clean festival, though, and the people there were all great to chat to. Pints were expensive, though, and I didn't come across a supermarket when I was there.
    Cheers for the advice.

We're staying in some kind of fancy pleb-free zone in a tent they're providing. It wasn't even that particularly expensive, and saves on the ballache of finding a spot/lugging it about etc.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's probably a good idea. There wasn't much of an atmosphere in the camping area where I was, so you're not missing out on much. Although, I did fall asleep in a camping chair one night to get woken up by a group of people running around me singing. Its a really chilled out festival for the most part, but yeah, the two times I've been to a Belgian festival the humidity has been unbearable at times.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a place with Oxfam for Glastonbury. You can cancel up until around May, so I'll hopefully get a ticket in the resale and then sack it off, but I'll be there.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found my Guns N'Roses tickets while I was looking for something else. Completely forgot it was on.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plenty on there I like, but there's nothing that stands out as special so I wouldn't mind having to work for Oxfam. Ideal, really.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's less impressive than previous years I think. I think I think that every year though, it's probably just an effect of getting older.

The XX killed it when I saw them on Other in 2013, so much so that I'm not sure I'd want to see them again. The new stuff is shit as well.

Still not seen Chic, that would be top of my list. Solange would be good, and I'd be up for Flaming Lips, Moonlandingz and British Sea Power, but not that much else. Katy Perry's breasts.

Got tickets for this on Glastonbury weekend instead. I'm still pretty gutted about missing Glastonbury but oh well.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that more 'mainstream' and lame than normal, or it is just usually not set out like that?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pyramid is always very mainstream. It's stuff scattered about the other stages that usually make it stand out but there's a lack of it this year, to me at least.

The line up doesn't matter anyway, man.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's some great Park Stage material there to be fair. Put Father John Misty, Toots & The Maytals, Angel Olsen & Ride back to back and you've got a happy afternoon.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another note, a few of my mates were going to Safe As Milk festival at Pontins later this month. This was posted a couple of days ago:

And then this is today:

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably the Foo Fighters and the mass suicide won't be the same night seeing as they're first and second on the list? Always wanted to go to Glastonbury once and the Foos would be as good a reason as any.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh, I really didn't think festivals would interest you.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try and get a ticket, Giggles. I'll show you the ropes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Yeah it's less impressive than previous years I think. I think I think that every year though, it's probably just an effect of getting older.

The XX killed it when I saw them on Other in 2013, so much so that I'm not sure I'd want to see them again. The new stuff is shit as well.

Still not seen Chic, that would be top of my list. Solange would be good, and I'd be up for Flaming Lips, Moonlandingz and British Sea Power, but not that much else. Katy Perry's breasts.

Got tickets for this on Glastonbury weekend instead. I'm still pretty gutted about missing Glastonbury but oh well.
    I thought you knew a guy that could sneak you in?

There's loads that's 'good' but I get more excited about the late night stuff these days anyway. Wiley, Justice, Andersoon .Paak, Thundercat are all really good bookings, and there's plenty more there that are good, but I'm not exactly over the moon. Part of the problem is probably that I was expecting something like Tribe, Frank Ocean, Kendrick, Jamiroquai.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Is that more 'mainstream' and lame than normal, or it is just usually not set out like that?
    The Pyramid is always very mainstream. It's stuff scattered about the other stages that usually make it stand out but there's a lack of it this year, to me at least.

The line up doesn't matter anyway, man.
    I dunno how mainstream that is. Katy Perry is an odd one, but I reckon might even be quite fun. Dark Horse is a banger tbf. Its cliche and you sound like a bellend saying it, but the line really doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Huh, I really didn't think festivals would interest you.
    Been to a good few. Ones with bands I want to see are getting few and far between though. Obviously the camping went out the window years ago though.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother could probably get me in, but it would involve hanging out with his crusty mates for days beforehand, and probably for the duration as none of mine are going. Decided I'd rather go to France and eat croissants.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. It'll probably be good to take a break and remember that other things happen that weekend.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a proper ticket for Glastonbury this morning. Over the fucking moon. One of our group (of three) didn't wake up, though, after SEETHING last year when a couple of people did the same to him. Another couple of our usual Glastonbury group (who got tickets via other means) didn't bother getting up, so its not all good, but still, at least I won't have to work during the festival. Roll on A Tribe Called Quest on West Holts, Friday night.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Primavera set times out. A few nasty clashes in there but really could have been a lot worse considering how good the line-up is. Sleep vs Arcade fire vs Gas is probably the worst one.

Itinerary looks something like this:

Why'd you use this thread? There's another much better one.

Is it only three days? FlyLo live is incredible, but Ame into KiNK would be great too. Pretty similar line up to Field Day which I might head to.
    I searched festival and the other one came up hehe.

There's stuff on all week but those days are the main ones. There's a dance tent by the beach which is on all day (I think Jackmaster is doing a set at 2pm or something), particularly looking forward to that.

Quite annoyed that they've put Aphex Twin on on the main stage, not sure how that'll be.

Ame & KiNK vs Flying Lotus & Talaboman is a tricky one. The latter are playing at the outdoor auditorium which easily the best stage there, generally very appealing at 3am because there's seats all the way up, so it'll probably be that tbh.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of Talaboman. What's it like?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's John Talabot and some Swedish guy. The album they released recently is pretty good, it's house-y but managed to keep my attention.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my rather pissed state I've committed to Field Day (cheap ticket for £40 tbf). The alcohol has nothing to do with it because the line up is incredible. I don't think there's even time for a toilet break.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my rather pissed state I've committed to Field Day (cheap ticket for £40 tbf). The alcohol has nothing to do with it because the line up is incredible. I don't think there's even time for a toilet break.
    Im jealous; I've been the past 3 years (missing this year as I'm moving house this weekend).

Last year it pissed it down solidly on the Saturday and turned the entire place into a bog (like Glastonbury on steroids) and it was still amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glastonbury in just over 3 weeks and the excitement is starting to kick in. Been waiting years to see the Foo Fighters and finally get to, unless the soft cunt falls of another stage.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from rolling out that pay what you feel album concept have Radiohead done anything of note in the last 20 years? Watching that set last night, and recalling the one from '97, I tend to think not. You wonder why they bother when they just end up having to phone in the classics anyway.

And I don't don't mean to be unkind Liam, but that Wall of Glass song is fucking shite. I hope there are always people in the front row shouting at him to do Wonderwall as I'd imagine that would generate high levels of seethe.

'Mon the Foos.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing the Manics in August. Another band I can cross off my list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd planned on watching quite a bit of Glastonbury this year, but I saw about half an hour of Katy Perry last night and bits of Chic and Gibb today.

Ed Sheeran is just coming out to headline now, it's on BBC if anyone cares.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to explain to my mum why Ed Sheeran is shit. She's not having any of it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad gets it (having never heard of Ed Sheeran before now). 'This seems quite samey.'

His favourite band is Lynyrd Skynyrd though, so he's presumably just an agent of white male privilege.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nile Rodgers and Barry Gibb sets seemed to cover roughly half of all hit songs ever written.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed Sheeran is shit.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know he was fond of considered forays into the world of what might be called 'spoken word'. How cringeworthy.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time he starts setting up the loops for the next song it sounds like he's going to cover something good but then no, just an Ed Sheeran song.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I'm trying to explain to my mum why Ed Sheeran is shit. She's not having any of it.
    Well if this song doesn't convince her.

To be fair I quite like that EP he did with grime artists. And some of his other songs are passable.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To confuse you all, I also think Sheeran is dirt.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Every time he starts setting up the loops for the next song it sounds like he's going to cover something good but then no, just an Ed Sheeran song.
    Are you happy now?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm mortified now.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Jesus. PLAY YOUR HITS ED FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to work out which guitar part he's been playing in every song so far and come up blank. I think he's just shadowing a part that someone in the pit is also playing.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's one I just can't figure out why it's popular.

Like Drake. Just complete and utter swill.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    He's one I just can't figure out why it's popular.

Like Drake. Just complete and utter swill.
    I think his masterstroke is failing to alienate any group of people (apart from smug types like us).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a bit of The Killers earlier, they were good. Normally you get some people down at the front nodding along, but the entire sweaty tent was going mad for them.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To think I almost wasn't there this year. It just doesn't get any better than Glastonbury. The weather was mostly great which meant each day followed the perfect formula of live acts > DJs > Stone Circle. The only downside was the amount of scousers/blacks trying to sell dodgy ket. Paranoid London was the best set I saw, but Run The Jewels and Justice ran it close.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Little Mix comes to Devon and the whole local public transport system goes tits up

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dour (in Belgium) is so fucking good. The Red Bull Elektropedia stage is easily the best stage I've ever been at. Nina Kraviz on that thing was . Friction and Nas were great too. I wasn't sure how Nas would handle a headline slot, but he fit in every track you could realistically expect.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomorrowland livestreams about to start

Ferry, Prydz and Axwell & Ingrosso

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does Monstercat have its own stage at a festival in Belgium?