Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Weightlifting Thread

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Mydryk getting Joey Swolled.

I only just noticed how small Joey Swoll is the other day. Idk if his muscles make him look smaller but he looks about 5ft3

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many bodybuilders are manlets to be fair. It's easier to look built when you're small. Which reminds me:

Lol

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are people getting their whey from these days? Prices are all over the shop, currently working through a small tub of Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream which is alright, not great not terrible. Just banging a scoop in my porridge every day at the moment (after heating of course).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I exclusively use the clear whey from MyProtein. Just wait for a sale or email discount code and buy a load.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Impact Whey from My Protein. I also got their Vimto Isolate which is banging but pretty expensive so It's probably a one off.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some posh cunt gym over here branded their own whey and realised they couldn't shift it, so I got a load half price a few months ago. It was about 11kg for £150 which felt like a steal at the time.

How much does the clear stuff go for in the sale? That'd defo be easier to get in at work.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5kg of unflavoured impact whey on MyProtein is something mental like £160. They do have 45% off at the moment, but stilll.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s £15 off at the minute on myprotein.com for Clear Whey. Up to 45% off most things at the minute but dunno if it as much as 45% as I got a load of stuff last week for cheaper than it is this week.

Clear Whey is defo the best (actually tastes good with water anyway) but it’s mega pricey for the amount you get so best to do what Ben does. I just alternate between Clear and Impact

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Some posh cunt gym over here branded their own whey and realised they couldn't shift it, so I got a load half price a few months ago. It was about 11kg for £150 which felt like a steal at the time.

How much does the clear stuff go for in the sale? That'd defo be easier to get in at work.
    I got 4 tubs (each 20 scoops) for £56.52 the last time. That's with a massive discount as well.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    5kg of unflavoured impact whey on MyProtein is something mental like £160. They do have 45% off at the moment, but stilll.
    Only £90 once you get to checkout. Great value really. That’s 100 days worth if you’re having 2 servings a day. The clear whey stuff costs nearly £50 to last about a month at most lol

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think MyProtein is basically the DFS of the supplement world. It always has some kind of sale on, you never pay what the price is listed as.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy whatever the cheap stuff at B&M is. It's something like sixteen quid for a kilogram, which, since I don't use loads of it, seems like a better bet than buying a giant bag and having it sat there for nine months.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got some chocolate peanut butter stuff from one of the big brands (can't remember which) and it's over the top. Feel like chucking it up every time but it cost me about €25 so have to just get on with it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I got 4 tubs (each 20 scoops) for £56.52 the last time. That's with a massive discount as well.
    That's not too bad. It's 40% off with subscription but to avoid £10 delivery I'd need to commit to 40 scoops a month. Easily doable but hardly essential with all the whey I've got.

Next time anyone gets a discount email giz a post in here. It'd be nice to see some decent posts in here instead of delusion from Randama Traore.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I've got some chocolate peanut butter stuff from one of the big brands (can't remember which) and it's over the top. Feel like chucking it up every time but it cost me about €25 so have to just get on with it.
    I forgot to change the flavour once and ended up with unflavoured whey. That was brutal. I ended up chucking in some nesquick powder in the end.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought five kilos of unflavoured during my poor student days (when it was about fifty quid) and I had to do the same. The 'complex' (for lack of a better word) flavours - chocolate brownie, peanut butter, etc. - are always pretty ropey as well. Stick to the basic McDonald's milkshake flavours.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to have the normal whey with milk. It’s absolutely awful with water. The clear whey stuff is good with water though. Raspberry lemonade is what I get of that.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The coconut stuff I have (diet vegan bollocks) is pretty good. I usually chuck it into my cereal with my creatine and have it that way.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am starting again, just using dumbells at home. It's probably unsustainable to increase weight every week, should I just switch to lower reps more sets?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How heavy do they go? And what could you manage for a max? If the dumbbells are too light in relation (like less than 60% of your max) then you’re just doing cardio.

If they’re heavier, do sets of like 8-12. Multiple sets of low reps will get you nowhere if they’re not heavy enough.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have about 70kg of plates but then some are so thick that I might struggle getting more than 20kg on a bar, 5kg the heaviest plates. I doubt I'll be doing 20kg on them anytime soon, that's the level we are starting from. Tried 15kg today but some stuff I had to take the weight off or my form would have made it pointless.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd concentrate on form first and then build it up. You can build muscle with low weight and higher repetition especially when starting from a low base.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Form is overrated. Go big or go home.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    I am starting again, just using dumbells at home. It's probably unsustainable to increase weight every week, should I just switch to lower reps more sets?
    Progressive overload.

E.g:

Day 1 - 10kg 3x8
    Day 2 - 10kg 3x9
    Day 3 - 10kg 3x10
    Day 4 - 12.5kg 3x8
    Day 5 - 12.5 3x9

You get the picture.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That killed him. What was the spotter doing? Why was he even using a spotter instead of a rack/rails?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Natural selection in action again.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a spotter for squats - especially one that doesn't know what they are doing - is just asking for trouble.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only assume the rack wasn't as aesthetic for video puproses.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing how to get out of a squat is probably one of the most important things you can do when you get into the heavier weights. Throwing it backwards would have knocked out the useless spotter but saved them.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the name for the arm movement when internal decapitation happens? It was AWESOME on that video.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're so fucking weird.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you all think about the form v weight debate?

I've been noticing lately that people who have more muscle than me (or at least more toned) are doing a lot less weight than me on machines /Randrew.

Their form is much better but I wouldn't say mine is bad and I've never felt like I'm going to get injured.

Still not on free weights, it's all machines if that makes any difference.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heavy weight + bad form = injury

Don't learn the hard way.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's literally no debate to be had. Plus lower weight and more reps is better for hypertrophy.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bodyweight exercises and maybe some light dumbells (guessing somewhere between 10kg-16kg for you) is all you need.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting with machines is just plain retarded. Good luck when you move onto freeweights and find out none of your stabilising muscles work properly because the machines have been controlling every motion for you.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are people's rep/set schemas like then?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're training for something specific, just do whatever. Get creative and mix it up.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I did today. All on machines because I'm too intimidated to do free weights.

Shoulder Press: 4 sets of 8 at 30 KG. First time at that weight, very hard like everything on this shitty machine but I feel my form is fairly good.

Chest Press: 10 x 45KG, 12 x 35, 14 x 30 and 10 x 35. It should be 10 at 45, then 2 sets of 12 x 40 with a final set at 45. My biceps were really tired so I adapted, form isn't great especially nearer the end of sets. I should go lower.

Leg Press: 12 x 120, 14 x 120, 12 x 120, 12 x 120. Today was harder than it usually is and my form was poor, usually it's decent.

Low Row: 12 x 65, 10 x 70, 10 x 70, 12 x 65. This is a hard one for me and probably the worst showing of form across any machine.

Bicep curls and Tricep pushdowns: 12 x 25 three times. I knocked down the bicep curls to 22.5KG on the cable machine for the last set because my biceps were still hurting and the form was really bad, I feel I put my back into it too much.

Tricep rope extensions: 12 x 20 three times. Form is shaky on the last few reps on each set.

Lat Machine: 10 x 50, 10 x 45, 10 x 50. Fairly new to this piece of equipment, I feel my form is decent.

I'll probably look to reduce weight across the board (bar maybe Shoulder Press) so I can focus more on form the next time I go in.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must be in the gym for ages. How many times are you in a week?

I'd also be using a Smith Machine if you're wanting to bridge the gap with Machines/Free Weights.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    80-90 minutes (30 of that is cardio), 3 times a week.
    Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 16-10-2023 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cardio and weight training in the same session is mental.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoulder press is a good entry to free weights if you want to try something really simple. The best thing to do though is just watch loads of form videos. No matter what you do, somebody will tell you your form could be better, and sometimes it will slip, but ultimately you just need to learn enough to be confident to know what you're doing. Personally I'd say just get stuck in, but if you're hesitant just watch as many videos you can, even in the gym, and then curiosity should get the better of you. You're smart enough to pick it up quickly so use the enthusiasm to av it.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    80-90 minutes (30 of that is cardio), 3 times a week.
    Fair play.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mahow doesn't work, though, does he? I know old geezers who go every morning for a couple hours. They don't ponce about with cardio either.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd lower the cardio down if you want to keep some in try smaller HIIT sessions mixed with some compound moves. E.g., 15 calories on a treadmill then bench press. I wouldn't listen too much to people in here criticising using machines, they can be targeting muscles better than a badly performed free weight exercise. You've got a decent all body workout there but you can make it simpler and go for 3/4 exercises.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to lose fat then walking is king too. Just walk, walk, walk and you'll lose so much fat. It targets fat almost solely where as more intense cardio will destroy carb levels and demand protein for recovery. Plus, walking outside is more interesting than doing anything on a treadmill.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We talking 10k steps a day or what?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to do negative steps and pies, Baz.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    We talking 10k steps a day or what?
    Every 10k steps is about 500 calories. Just max out every day until you're walking nonstop.