User Tag List

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weightlifting Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crossfit would break me in the first session, but those that are doing it (properly) can be justified in their smugness. It's impressive when done right.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing a lot of calisthenics with my PT and it's brutal. Honestly, forget the other stuff, just build your core and hang off things.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If @Giggles knew what 'calisthenics' was, he'd be fucking delighted that you're doing it.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back not that bad today, woohoo.

Back at it tomorrow.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really ought to do this "exercise" thing. Feel like I'm adding 5 lbs every 2 weeks fellas.

I honestly thought I'd have already died at this point.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    If @Giggles knew what 'calisthenics' was, he'd be fucking delighted that you're doing it.
    I've no idea what it is but I'm sure you'll all hear how great he is at it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should point out that I don't do crossfit. It's just a very crossfit esque workout. They'd probably intertwine burpees or ski erg / assault bike in amongst it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, 2008 crossfit games was 5 round of 5 deadlifts at 275lbs and 10 Burpees.

Why I opted to do 100 deadlifts at 100kg I have no idea. Done it three times now. Great workout. Killer.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crossfit is great but such a money sink. If you get a friend to do all the exercises with you at home or something that's basically the same thing for free

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smashed the leg press tonight. Don't think I'll be doing squats again, too much risk for my laughable core.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crossfit would break me in the first session, but those that are doing it (properly) can be justified in their smugness. It's impressive when done right.
    This.

If anyone hasn't seen the two crossfit documentaries on Netflix you should really give them a go. So impressive.

2016 crossfit games and 2017 games. There's an older one too, but fuck that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Smashed the leg press tonight. Don't think I'll be doing squats again, too much risk for my laughable core.
    Your core is probably fine, you're only at risk because you're doing squats facing backwards in the Smith machine. If youdon't like the weight on your back though goblet squats with a dumbbell are surprisingly tough.

Props on the 100 deadlift reps though Foe. Started a 5/3/1 template recently and the day where you max on squat asks for 5 sets of 10 (low-ish weight) deadlifts afterwards. Nearly drowned the gym in sweat the first time I tried it.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by five time View Post
    Your core is probably fine, you're only at risk because you're doing squats facing backwards in the Smith machine. If youdon't like the weight on your back though goblet squats with a dumbbell are surprisingly tough.

Props on the 100 deadlift reps though Foe. Started a 5/3/1 template recently and the day where you max on squat asks for 5 sets of 10 (low-ish weight) deadlifts afterwards. Nearly drowned the gym in sweat the first time I tried it.
    That's a good shout actually. I guess the limit there is how heavy a dumbbell you can lift?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried beta-alanine today. Basically felt like I was coming up on a pill for two hours. It was probably just a combination of the paresthesia and the placebo but it definitely felt like my muscles worked for longer.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good stuff that, and the weird tingling goes if you use it for a few months.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opinions on bodyweight exercises? I've got involved to restore my strength after a long break. Am I likely to see gains?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Do it and concentrate on your core.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I googled calistahjslavg whatever and it turns out I already do a fair bit of that without calling it anything wanky.

But, I'd like to do even more and have some proper workout routines to go back to where I don't have to use any weights or machines at all.
    Usually I almost always do 3x10 chin-ups, but I struggle a bit with push ups due to a fucked AC-joint (and dips are likely forever off the table for me).

My scapular strenght and especially mobility is pretty bad, and I currently also struggle with some sort of problem with my psoas muscle which is a right arse to try to rehab away

But anyway - Keeks what are your tips for good exercises to do apart from just Plank / Pull-ups / Push-ups? What does your normal workout look like?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only just realised Keeks avatar isn't Mark Hughes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
    I googled calistahjslavg whatever and it turns out I already do a fair bit of that without calling it anything wanky.

But, I'd like to do even more and have some proper workout routines to go back to where I don't have to use any weights or machines at all.
    Usually I almost always do 3x10 chin-ups, but I struggle a bit with push ups due to a fucked AC-joint (and dips are likely forever off the table for me).

My scapular strenght and especially mobility is pretty bad, and I currently also struggle with some sort of problem with my psoas muscle which is a right arse to try to rehab away

But anyway - Keeks what are your tips for good exercises to do apart from just Plank / Pull-ups / Push-ups? What does your normal workout look like?
    At the moment it's 3x 1 min on 4/5 exercises with a cardio in there. Eg straight armed plank with weight, Burpees, pull up, kettle bell press up and squat.

Today with my pt it was pyramid straight leg raises,crunches with kettle bell, bicep curls (10 both, 10 single arm), squats, kettle bell dead lift type thing then the ski machine for 30 second cardio.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Them ski machines are mental. You bowl up thinking it's only pulling a bit of string, and then it caves your body in.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In love with the resistance machines at the mo.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Them ski machines are mental. You bowl up thinking it's only pulling a bit of string, and then it caves your body in.
    I love the ski erg. It's great as a superset to something like lat pull down or pushing the sled. Exhaustion kicks in, mind.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old gym had a moving staircase (not one of those stepping machines, it was like a mini escalator) and it was fucking brutal. I finally gave up on it after smashing my shin on it and being sent sprawling.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a go on one of those when one appeared in the gym and I lasted about five minutes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha. It's absolute carnage. Is skiing that hard? Why do people enjoy it?

The other one that's hard is the ellipticals that are lower down which do your quads. Hell on earth.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I tried beta-alanine today. Basically felt like I was coming up on a pill for two hours. It was probably just a combination of the paresthesia and the placebo but it definitely felt like my muscles worked for longer.
    It's good stuff that, and the weird tingling goes if you use it for a few months.
    Let me know how you get on with it, Dino. I could use a bit more energy whilst fasting. I've been using HMB powder for a few months now and noticed increased muscle mass, though. Does anybody else use any supplements that actually work (except for creatine which everybody seems to use).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gym at work has one of those CrossFit assault bikes and I did exactly the same. Ended up a dripping mess after about 2 minutes on it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Let me know how you get on with it, Dino. I could use a bit more energy whilst fasting. I've been using HMB powder for a few months now and noticed increased muscle mass, though. Does anybody else use any supplements that actually work (except for creatine which everybody seems to use).
    Based on the ones I follow that actually base their advice on what has been proven to work, nothing outside of creatine and ahead of those sessions where you want to outperform a bit, caffeine, actually seems useful unless you do multiple sessions in a day. In that case BCAAs might be in play.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've talked myself out of beta-alanine on past occasions because it isn't cheap, and it doesn't make any real difference in terms of isolated sessions, other than maybe making your endurance/rep work a bit harder; but over the course of a couple of weeks that stuff being more difficult ends up wearing you down a bit, so I go back to it in the end to take the edge off that. Creatine I don't know. I'm not completely convinced of its use provided you drink loads of water anyway, but it's so cheap that you might as well have it on the go in case it works.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Day 3 of 26 of a no alcohol, no going out, no cheating social isolation experiment to see how much weight I can lose (trip to Turkey with family at the end of it). So far I'm only down -0.4lbs from last Saturday mornings weigh-in* (that may be partially because I engaged in extreme degeneracy Sat-Sun), but I'm pretty committed to seeing it through. The ambitious goal is to see 179 on the scale, but if I could get down to 181-182, it will still be a success.

*Highest weigh-in: 201.2; Lowest weigh-in: 189.0

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm down to 79.1kg today. Been a few poor weeks diet wise (takeaways and drinking) so I've been above the 81 mark. With the football season over after this Saturday, I'm going to look to get to the gym 3-4 times and increase my longer runs (maybe chuck in a few parkruns). Would like to be 76 for summer.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're 4' something, 76kg is no weight for a man.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    At the moment it's 3x 1 min on 4/5 exercises with a cardio in there. Eg straight armed plank with weight, Burpees, pull up, kettle bell press up and squat.

Today with my pt it was pyramid straight leg raises,crunches with kettle bell, bicep curls (10 both, 10 single arm), squats, kettle bell dead lift type thing then the ski machine for 30 second cardio.
    Yeah alright, thats more or less the stuff I do kinda. I usually mostly do back-heavy lifting sessions (a lot of rowing/pull ups and now and then deadlifts), and once a week I do a circle-training kind of thing like the one you describe. I sometimes dare to mix in 3x20 push-ups or so (I can't really do anything heavy for the chest).

Typically, I do 5 sets of 4 exercises, normally:

- ca 20m Bear crawls with 20kg dumbells
    - 8 Burpee-jumping-pullups or whatever you call it (a burpee that turns into a pull/chin-up)
    - ca 1 minute on those long, thick black ropes that you smack into the floor
    - regular kettle bell swings for maybe 30 sec

After that I'll sometimes do the ski-ropes for 5 minutes, then rowing machine for 5 minutes. Then if I have some energy left after that maybe pump the disco muscles a bit.

That's a great workout really.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the perfect weight for a lean man

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Runt.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fat cunt.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Yup

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    65 kg over here.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd actually quite like to see what I'd look like at anything under 80kg, but I reckon I'd look dead.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    State of the manlets in here.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    It's the perfect weight for a lean man
    76kg is honestly pretty perfect at average height if you're lean, minimal returns for being bigger and the cost:benefit is not worth IMO

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See. Manlets.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you would be lean with very little muscle mass at that height/weight. Like a footballer, rather than someone cut.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was pretty fat at the tail end of last year, 88kg or so. I'm now about 81kg at 5 foot 9.5.

Looking a lot leaner, but still not as lean as I'd like.

Did my 100kg deadlifts x 100 again yesterday, this time at a slower pace at the start and smaller rep chunks. Managed it far more easily. Reckon I'll maybe try and do it once a month or so.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you would be lean with very little muscle mass at that height/weight. Like a footballer, rather than someone cut.
    For reference, this is 189 to 165 (which is around 75 kilos):

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That guys probably really short though.

I'm about 75-76kg right now at 6 feet, and I don't have really big muscles like that. I'm not super lean either, my ideal weight is about 72 kg which I was a few months ago (but vacations and injuries have fucked me over a little bit) and at that weight, I'd say I'm lean and quite skinny.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 6ft and since picking up lifting again at the start of the year I've gone from 69 to 73-74 (of that a lot is waterweight because of creatine), and I'm still skinny as shit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 5ft 9.5 ish as well. The only problem with the lower weight is it usually makes my face look gaunt and that sends the parents/grandparents into a tizzy.

76kg is probably ideal footballer weight (which is what I try to aim for as I still play).

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised by the amount of sub 80kg.