User Tag List

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The Uni Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to Florence for Erasmus semester in the fall.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    When you came home rather than take the expensive London option.
    It was shit.

Although staying in London and working all the time to afford it would've been shit too.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    When you came home rather than take the expensive London option.
    All three of spoons options are in nice cities tbf. ( if you can call LA nice )

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When President Bernie is sworn in, Mert might actually top himself

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    You didn't get into a school worth the money. That's the reality. Now you can be in denial about it and waste your families money/go into debt, or you can make an economically efficient choice for your future. Everyone I've ever met who went to Reed or Occidental emphasized that it was miserable, they regretted it, and that if they could choose again they would never go there. Everyone there is deep into drugs because there literally is nothing else to do. The girls are ugly, entitled, masculine and not interested in kids from Utah. Best case scenario you'll date a 3-4/10 Asian by Junior year.

Four years from now you will see I was 100% right. You're blinded by your ego (going to Utah would be a 'failure') and your desire to 'see the world' or whatever nonsense Bernie supporters believe in.
    Now that's just ridiculous.

I would never date an Asian.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all honesty I kind of agree with you, especially about Reed, that's why imma go to McGill and find a cute French girl instead.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    In all honesty I kind of agree with you, especially about Reed, that's why imma go to McGill and find a cute French girl instead.
    Dude you're smart enough that you could get through Utah with a very high GPA, close connections to professors (who would be impressed by your relative intelligence and genuine interest in I'm assuming a niche humanities subject), while enjoying a memorable College Experience (tm) to boot. After that, assuming you are diligent about your grades you could do a post-grad study somewhere sick (coming from Utah would add 'diversity' at that level) and you would have a very nice life / resume (with much less debt on top of it).

McGill sounds better than Utah obviously (in fact my sister might go there if Georgetown / Duke doesn't work out) and don't get me wrong, congratulations that's a great school and you should be proud, but I genuinely don't think you would be happier. Utah would give you the chance at a quintessential college experience which is literally invaluable / so fun and it doesn't exist anywhere else in the world. I could even get you a letter of recommendation for whatever chapter you would want to rush down the line (which you should absolutely do).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A letter of recommendation from mert.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to classes on Wednesday. Left an essay until the last minute again. I should know better by know

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    Next 8 weeks are going to be absolutely horrific. Cba.
    The week or so after finals is great though. But then you have to leave and it's all a bit sad and depressing.

What are going to do next?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    Dude you're smart enough that you could get through Utah with a very high GPA, close connections to professors (who would be impressed by your relative intelligence and genuine interest in I'm assuming a niche humanities subject), while enjoying a memorable College Experience (tm) to boot. After that, assuming you are diligent about your grades you could do a post-grad study somewhere sick (coming from Utah would add 'diversity' at that level) and you would have a very nice life / resume (with much less debt on top of it).
    Other than the fact you're talking about a system that classes Arabs as 'white', thereby sinking his 'diversity' credentials from the start, I agree with that.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People keep saying there's a life post-Finals but it feels like years away. Got to love law though. Subjects like English have only a couple of exams, whilst we have 9 exams in 11 days. Sigh.

No concrete plan (see: plan of any substance at all) at the moment. Been pretty set on gambling full time, and probably will spend the summer doing that, but I'm gradually going off the idea. So probably a case of wait and see.

No doubt I'll end up in Accountancy like every other fucker.
    Many people going into accountancy? I only know one who did that although he's one of my best mates.

Wouldn't you be better off becoming a solicitor if you're going to go somewhere corporatey like that?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last thing we need is another accountant ffs.

Gambling full time though.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McGill should definitely be your top choice @Spoonsky. Occidental sucks and Reed's not much better. The "quintessential college experience" is fine but not that great (the European lifestyle is way better), and at Utah you'd be around dumbfucks. The #1 thing I've profited from by being at a top school is other people pushing me to become better. You wouldn't get that at Utah. Still probably better than those random UC's / Reed, but definitely do McGill if you can.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it, I'll go to McGill and bang Mert's sister.

Just got back from UC Santa Cruz and it's literally paradise though. I won't go because it's too expensive / not rigorous enough but it is so nice.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it, I'll go to McGill and bang Mert's sister.

Just got back from UC Santa Cruz and it's literally paradise though. I won't go because it's too expensive / not rigorous enough but it is so nice.
    She's too snobby and entitled for you, don't get your hopes up (). Anyways she should get into Georgetown and Duke is a reach (it'll be interesting to see how much legacy status really matters) so this is all very hypothetical.

I also really don't get the pattern of the schools you applied to.

To clarify what I said earlier, I wouldn't necessarily write your letter of reccomendation but I have friends who are alumni from just about every major national fraternity, I would have them sign their name off of something you wrote yourself so it was legit.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were mostly good (often too good lmaooo) schools in big cities, of varying sizes. My mom just told me to apply to Santa Cruz because it's really nice.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not rigorous enough, as if any US university is 'rigorous.' Any top tier school has like a 90%+ graduation rate ffs.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Not rigorous enough, as if any US university is 'rigorous.' Any top tier school has like a 90%+ graduation rate ffs.
    Affirmative action and athletes. Just saying.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    as if any US university is 'rigorous.'

I think you've run out of things to say in life and now you just create opinions through recombination.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're in STATE OF ALERT as someone was shot on campus. I'm stuck in a bloody warehouse.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.kmov.com/story/31774690/w...seen-on-campus

Third 'someone with a gun roaming around' alert in a month or so. One injured person this time apparently. According to my neighbour, who is a professor, it was a drive-by shooting (he could be making it all up of course.)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you were exaggerating in the other thread, Pepe, but that is a pretty harrowing story.

You okay?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accountancy is a big risk given the robots are coming for it.

I'd do something less processy if you can.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I thought you were exaggerating in the other thread, Pepe, but that is a pretty harrowing story.

You okay?
    Taking six months off to recover.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 9-month process is over, I've paid my deposit at McGill. Feels weird man.

Adios America.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Spoon. They will be the 4 best years of your life. I'm almost done with year 3 of 4 and I already have so many regrets, but also so many memories. And I'm a totally different person than I was coming in.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you already updated your Facebook cover photo. I take back everything I said.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a slave to social norms.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on, what are you doing creeping on my Facebook (I know I'm one to talk)? If you're going to do that just add me.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried adding you like 4 years ago and you never accepted so eventually i withdrew my request and now i just watch you

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say you smashed it. Spoons.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    I tried adding you like 4 years ago and you never accepted so eventually i withdrew my request and now i just watch you
    I probably didn't know who you were. Get back on it, think of all the Bernie Sanders articles you're missing out on.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon I've seen most of those through what my friend's wife shares. They're normally accompanied by profound comments about reforming the education system so that people stop voting Republican, and what claims to be a picture of 'Bernie' protesting man's banishment from the Garden of Eden.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 36 hours from being done with my last exam (that I am completely and utterly fucked for) of 1L year.

It has been, easily, the worst most miserable experience of my entire life. The issue I have with the word miserable in using to describe the last nine months is that it is relative, so that your understanding of the word is grounded in your experiences of what misery feels like. The misery I am referring to is so far beyond anything I had ever experienced prior to coming to law school, I don't think it's possible to comprehend unless you have gone through something similar. I have spent the last 8-10 hours of every day for the last 6 weeks studying dense, uninteresting, idiosyncratic material, essentially on my own with little to no social interaction, and to show for it, I will be absolutely delighted to have done average relative to my peers.

People used to tell me, don't go to law school unless you really are passionate about the law and an obsessively well organized and industrious student. I thought, meh, I'm pretty smart, I've done well in school, shouldn't be too bad. It's bad. So bad. I don't know what life would have been like if I had just been another Duke kid in consulting, but I can't imagine that it would be worse than this.

I'm off to bed now, and tomorrow I will wake up again and probably pull an all-nighter going into my 9 AM, 4 hour exam. Rant over.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I well say, my sister in law went to study law and she felt the same way, the first year absolutely broke her mentally.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living the dream, eh. Reckon you'll continue?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a piece of piss.

Although I've no idea about the yanks with their juris doctors and pop quizzes. As a postgrad thing do you just get bombed with 3 (1.5) years worth of work in 1 (like the GDL)?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living the dream, eh. Reckon you'll continue?
    Of course, I'm not some pussy quitter. This is the price you pay for a lifetime of prestige, socioeconomically segregated and safe neighborhoods and an attitude of sneering condescension towards the peasantry. My parents did it, now it's my turn.

I have a job this summer in the legal department of one of the top 100 largest multinational corporations in the world. I'm doing fine. But it's fucking brutal.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    It's a piece of piss.

Although I've no idea about the yanks with their juris doctors and pop quizzes. As a postgrad thing do you just get bombed with 3 (1.5) years worth of work in 1 (like the GDL)?
    Lol piece of piss? You're graded on a curve alongside probably the top 1-2% smartest kids in your generation in the country, law school is a lot of things, but it's not easy.

It's 3 years, but pretty much you get the core actually important classes out of the way in the first year.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll admit I have no idea about the US system with it's class rankings and all. Do you need to be the x best in your year to get a job? At the end of the day, unless you are doing it for intellectual curiosity, which almost nobody does (I did, I'm an idiot), you only need to do enough to get the bit of paper (or whatever you need at the end). You don't need to read those 3000 articles on the native land rights of Australian aborigines and how they can sit within a system of private property, or whatever else. Does the US even have the more esoteric stuff we call property law (I think most/tinpot places actually split it into equities and trusts and land law)?

They probably just make it beastly to prepare you for life in a large American law firm, which, as far as I can tell, is absolute, well, misery. Good word.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An 8 week placement in a law firm was enough to convince me that I had absolutely zero interest in pursuing that as a career. What a soulless existence.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet I could don it. No pussy meltdowns either.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I'll admit I have no idea about the US system with it's class rankings and all. Do you need to be the x best in your year to get a job? At the end of the day, unless you are doing it for intellectual curiosity, which almost nobody does (I did, I'm an idiot), you only need to do enough to get the bit of paper (or whatever you need at the end). You don't need to read those 3000 articles on the native land rights of Australian aborigines and how they can sit within a system of private property, or whatever else. Does the US even have the more esoteric stuff we call property law (I think most/tinpot places actually split it into equities and trusts and land law)?

They probably just make it beastly to prepare you for life in a large American law firm, which, as far as I can tell, is absolute, well, misery. Good word.
    Effectively you need to score median to have a reasonable chance of getting a reasonable job (unless you qualify as 'diversity' which I do not), and you need to score top third if you want to be competitive for a top job. Think of the smartest, most sociopathic, most type A, hardest working people you have ever met. Put them in a room, and then have them compete academically against each other for their chance to snag a 160k/year job at age 25. That's what law school is like in the T-14.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going through a not too dissimilar thing at the moment. Don't think I hit 10 hours per day though, probably around 7-8 on average. Have become a lot better at working efficiently, largely down to going to libraries. 60 minutes work in the library probably equates to about 90 minutes work in my room.

I don't see how doing 9+ hours each day for a sustained period is really the most effective way to revise,.
    I just keep my room / desk clean and work in my room for the most part. It's at the point where I think the process of going to library wastes too much time because that's maybe 30 minutes of getting everything together both ways, plus lost time for getting food, going to the bathroom, refilling water bottles, etc.

It's not sustainable and I'm utterly spent at this point. 100% dependent on nicotine and stimulants, blood pressure is through the roof and my resting heart rate is probably in the 80s. If I had to do it for one more week I don't think I would make it.

23 hours left.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to think of the library in the same way but there's really a number of advantages: increased productivity (as above); change of scenery; some downtime (walking to and from); some fresh air etc.

Anyway, best of luck, you'll have the post-exam euphoria soon enough.
    5 minutes until the exam starts, killing time beforehand.

They've got a 'champagne celebration' event right after, it's as if they want us to be alcoholics.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't get any time off before exams to revise, shit sucks.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to think of the library in the same way but there's really a number of advantages: increased productivity (as above); change of scenery; some downtime (walking to and from); some fresh air etc.

Anyway, best of luck, you'll have the post-exam euphoria soon enough.
    I find it hard to work anywhere.

At home there are too many things to make me slide into procrastination mode and at a library there are too many people and because I'm a seriously nosey twat I'll spend most of the time listening and watching other people.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most examinations boil down to technique. Once you crack how to get marks, the rest should flow from there.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    We don't get any time off before exams to revise, shit sucks.
    Tired students make mistakes. That can't be very good for patient safety.