User Tag List

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Uni Thread

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That I'll be put into the pool of regular candidates and evaluated again, and that I can apply to other schools like normal now. You'd think they could reach a decision one way or the other about me but it seems like the majority of early candidates get deferred. I blame Affirmative Action.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why were you an early candidate? Explain the full process if you can be bothered.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Deferred. Fuck me, not even the closure of a rejection.
    Well at least now you get to choose among several options rather than being 'stuck' there by default.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Why were you an early candidate? Explain the full process if you can be bothered.
    Spoon will have to clarify but I think some unis let you apply early if you are really interested in the place and if they really like you they'll take you before the actual process begins. You are not really an 'early candidate,' anyone can apply early. I am guessing unis do this to lure top students before the other universities convince them to go elsewhere via better offers.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, if you've got a clear first choice you can apply "Early Decision" or "Early Action" - Early Decision is more restrictive in that if they accept you you have to withdraw all other applications (provided the financial aid is good enough), whereas with Early Action you can still wait and see if you get in elsewhere. This has the benefit for you of higher acceptance rates (though not extraordinarily so) and finishing the process much earlier if you get in, and it has the benefit for the schools of attracting top students earlier and also making sure that they get some students who really want to go there. The drawbacks for the student are that you can't compare financial aid packages (this is also a benefit for the universities) and that you have to finish your application much earlier. I did Early Decision to Columbia (they don't offer Early Action, schools usually offer one or the other).

What I was really excited about, just as much as going to Columbia, was being finished with the whole bloody process. Now I have to write a bunch more supplemental essays for different schools, and I won't find out until March 31st or so. That is what fucks me off the most, along with the general feeling of anticlimax - I still don't know where I'll be living for the next four years, and I don't even know that it won't be Columbia.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'The film that they had chosen had been getting rave reviews'

Fuck that sentence.

It was in an assignment that I had to hand in today on English Grammar. I was meant to say what kind of sentence it is and why.

I have no idea what it is, it can't be a simple sentence as there are two main verbs. It can't be a compound sentence as there is no conjunction and it can't be a complex sentence as the only complimentiser links a clause with no verb phrase (The film) to the rest of the sentence.

Either I've gone wrong somewhere in determining the lexical categories of each word or she's fucked the sentence up.

It's fucking me right up, I put complex but I didn't put a reason.

Anyone know a thing or two about this and would be able to tell me where I've gone wrong? I don't think I can wait 2-3 weeks until she has marked it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a simple sentence, in a similar way that 'the red cat sat on the mat' is a simple sentence. It's been a few years though and I wasn't the best at that stuff, so I might be wrong.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But there are two main verbs :\

Unless I'm being stupid and chosen isn't a verb in there.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's some past tense transitive bullshit, probably.

Yo Spoon, idk if you know this much but EA waitlists generally have a negligible acceptance rate (lower than the RD acceptance rate in any case). A lot of schools basically waitlist everyone they don't accept for early. Not sure if Columbia is one of those schools, but i know Stanford is. What are your other top choices?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever kind of sentence that is it's horrible. 'The film that they had chosen' could just be 'the film they chose', surely.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but she's a massive bitch who just wants to make things more complicated in order to fuck with our minds.

Edit: She's on annual leave until the 7th of fucking January so I wont get an answer until then

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    It's some past tense transitive bullshit, probably.

Yo Spoon, idk if you know this much but EA waitlists generally have a negligible acceptance rate (lower than the RD acceptance rate in any case). A lot of schools basically waitlist everyone they don't accept for early. Not sure if Columbia is one of those schools, but i know Stanford is. What are your other top choices?
    I don't think that's true at Columbia (another kid at my school got rejected for instance), from what I've ascertained the rates about the same as RD. Other top choices are Pomona, McGill, Brown, and Stanford. Speaking of which, I'm in the Bay Area till Jan 2 if you happen to be on campus for some reason.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to Reed? Pomona looks good.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reed is definitely a solid possibility still, though places like Pomona have eclipsed it slightly. I have a lot of places that I'd be really happy to attend which I think is a good thing, though it could make the final decision more difficult.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Money will probably make most of the decisions for you tbh.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had wobbles before - especially when I was ill and probably quite depressed if I'm honest - but at the moment I really can't shake the feeling I might want to quit medicine.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would you consider doing instead? How do you think you will feel in x amount of years if you did jack it all in? Have you spoken to family, friends, lecturers etc etc?

I felt like quitting uni (for the second time) after my Dad died and even though I've got a shit load of work to catch up on which I have no idea how I will do it (and fuck knows about next year with my dissertation), I'm glad I didn't.

Talk to anyone and everyone you can.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoken to my girlfriend. She wants me to at least finish the course and then if I really don't want to do it at that point to find something else. That's probably the right thing to do to be honest.

I enjoy learning medicine - in the main - but the idea of actually doctoring just fills me with dread. I of course accept I will be nervous about it, but I should feel excited and be looking forward to it too and I just don't feel that.

I can see myself enjoying it in 10 years time when I'm qualified as a consultant doing something I enjoy, I just don't know if I can get through the journey there.

I think to stick out medicine you've got to love it - it's got to be your 'thing' - and I just don't know if I do.

To be honest I'd love to do something in food but I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it unless I got to a certain level, which might not be realistic.

I just know medicine will take up pretty much my whole life and I don't want to end up miserable.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you jack medicine in for baking I won't rest until I've lolled you off the board.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck off

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finish studying and apply for bake off.

Done.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Become a vet. That way you can still do medicine-y stuff but if it goes wrong and the patient croaks you can use its corpse to whip up a lovely pie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick the course out. You have invested significant time and resource in it up to this point, so it would be very stupid to chuck it - especially on the incredibly vague, "but surely the grass is greener, mate" grounds you've cited.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there you have it. How soon can you quit?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do intend to stick out the course unless something changes.

I just don't want to do something so all-consuming if I hate it and find it so incredibly stressful, which is how I feel about it at the moment. The thought of starting my first job makes me feel sick.

I hope when I do shadowing in fifth year I start to feel differently but I'm skeptical.

I know there isn't some magical fairy rainbows wonder job which will fall into my lap if I quit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't met a first year junior doctor yet who wasn't shitting their pants when they first started. As long as you're not scared of hard work, long hours, people who were always going to die winding up dead and the endless smell of fresh shit on gerontology wards then you'll end up just like they all do; happy with your lot and up your own arse. Stick it out.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much have you actually done of the course so far?

Isn't there a point where you can some out with a degree but not go on further to become an actual practising doctor?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd never make it as a chef, RL, you're far too nice and clean cut to form a coke habit.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And your body is too weak to stand the shifts.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expected to be shitting it, but I expected to have some positive feelings about it too, and I don't.

I talk to other people on my course and they are nervous but looking forward to it. Regularly hear people say they can't wait for uni to finish and to get started. I'd rather just stay here and avoid it forever.

I think the years out with illness fucked me over quite a bit to be honest, I've really lost a lot of confidence since and it's hard to build back up.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    How much have you actually done of the course so far?

Isn't there a point where you can some out with a degree but not go on further to become an actual practising doctor?
    Yes, I would get a (I believe proper shit-tier) degree of I left now. From what they've said before the uni would take me on to do a masters though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And your body is too weak to stand the shifts.
    I managed that night shift after a full day on placement (24 hours in the hospital overall) so I reckon I could actually do it now.

Three posts in a row, soz. On my phone and can't be fucked with multi-quotes and shit.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A masters in what though?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    I managed that night shift after a full day on placement (24 hours in the hospital overall) so I reckon I could actually do it now.

Three posts in a row, soz. On my phone and can't be fucked with multi-quotes and shit.
    I was only joking about that part.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A masters in what though?
    Something I wouldn't want to do probably

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You'd never make it as a chef, RL, you're far too nice and clean cut to form a coke habit.
    This is the most realistic post on the board. Has anyone ever met a Chef that is in control of his life as much as his Kitchen?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was only joking about that part.
    You might have been, but it has been a worry with the migraines whether I'll actually be able to do the job even if I make it through the course.

Which is really fucking shit to be honest. It's horrible feeling like you might be limited like that by something you can't fully control.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, on the point of not wanting medicine to take over your life - cheffing would too. They work horrible hours. Your Mrs is a teacher now, isn't she? You'd never see her.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    This is the most realistic post on the board. Has anyone ever met a Chef that is in control of his life as much as his Kitchen?
    I have a really obsessive personality, I reckon I'd make a smashing addict.

And if I did go into food I know I probably couldn't do cheffing as my shitty aching head would explode. I reckon I'd love doing patisserie or something though.

Edit: @Boydy and that too.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bourdain said it was patisserie stuff that drove him head first into the Heroin as it was so stressful.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an interview for a summer job at Tim Kinnaird's (sorry) shop and also did that tart course with him. He was fucking loving life. I could see myself doing something like that, I really enjoy it and I feel like it comes quite naturally.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would love a course on tarts given you are one

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laughed way more than I should have at that.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you've already failed at patisserie then if you only had the interview. I'm glad we've cleared this up. Now, about my arse...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a pilondial cyst.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walked around Stanford today, the place is completely shut down and chock full of Asian tourists. Despite that it's very nice and I'd almost certainly go on the minuscule chance I got in.
    @mokbull

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where'd you go? Make circles around the quad like most people do? ANd yeah the asians are there year round

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah we parked next to the Humanities center and walked from there in a loop more or less. Didn't quite get to Mayfield Ave. My parents really had to pee and all of the bathrooms were closed except the one in the Student Union, disaster averted.

How much time do you actually spend at the Quad and thereabouts? It's quite magnificent (as are the hills immediately to the south, look straight outta Tuscany).

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never actually hang out in the quad, you just pass it to and from class, which is all around the quad. It's too far away from any of the living quarters to be of any use.

Tresidder, though, thats a spot full of mystique and drama. Legend has it the line for Subway extends infinitely in all directions

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    Really can't be arsed with the next 5 months. All too serious, boring and shit.

Just finishing off my second (of two) mock EU exam Qs and it's probably the worst answer I've written since the start of my degree. It's just so insanely boring. You really have to be some twisted fucker to aspire to be a constitutional law academic.
    Could be an accountant.