I'm trying to think how long it is since I've actually had a car now... 7 years or something since my old second hand Citroen hatchback died I think. I missed it less and less as time goes on. It's a pain sometimes of course and I'd almost certainly get one if I had the disposable income to get one I would but it's mostly fine.

Fun thing is when I very occasionally rent one because almost every car I've driven since passing my test (be they second hand cars I got or my parents' ones) were some old knacker so it's odd to go into a new car and get mad benefits like brakes that work properly and being able to accelerate the moment you push the pedal down rather than waiting for the car to muster the enthusiasm for it.

I remember renting one to drive down to my parents on Christmas eve. Dark and the roads were dead and the engine wasn't making disconcerting noises when I went over 60 so I kept checking the speedo and realising I'd been breezing along at 90-odd.

Not sure any of my cars could have hit 90, definitely not without making an enormous racket.