User Tag List

Page 82 of 238 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,100 of 11872

Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were a good few beers in at this point, so we didn't really focus on the details.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. The Donald pierced the blue wall to win the White House, I doubt the GOP would be forgiven if they knifed him before the end of his term.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    I don't think anything he did there was illegal, just immoral.
    Depends what's on his last return. Or on the books of his campaign funds.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    On what grounds do you a) impeach him and b) successfully get a two-thirds majority so it doesn't look laughably political ala Clinton?
    Russian connections?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    Russian connections?
    But what connections? You can't just impeach him because you don't like him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    Russian connections?
    I doubt it, somehow.

He won, lads. There's no point pretending there's somehow a way to avoid four years of President Trump.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it, somehow.

He won, lads. There's no point pretending there's somehow a way to avoid four years of President Trump.
    Do you think he'll last four years?

If he enacts the shite he was spouting there's no way he isn't targetted. If he doesn't then it's a giant fuck you to the American public and a giant pat on the back for how stupid and niaive they are.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reality they'll have to just get the White House team to do literally everything for him, and he can just do the stuff which involves shaking people's hands and going on the telly.

Wonder how dated The West Wing is now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Do you think he'll last four years?

If he enacts the shite he was spouting there's no way he isn't targetted. If he doesn't then it's a giant fuck you to the American public and a giant pat on the back for how stupid and niaive they are.
    I do, yes. He has limited scope to enact domestic legislation without congressional approval. He has executive action, but it's limited. Therefore, anything he is enacts will have the GOP behind him (insofar as they need to be), thus tying them into its success or failure. There's more chance that he resigns the office because he's bored and wants to return to his businesses, than there's a successful impeachment because of his success or otherwise in enacting his campaign promises. Speaking right now, I doubt he wins a second term but fuck knows what'll happen over the course of the next four years.

As an additional point, sneering at the voters who disagree with you hasn't been a particularly successful strategy this year - so it's probably not sensible to cite "stupidity and naivety" as key character traits of his voters. I doubt they give a fuck what you think - and nor should they.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    In reality they'll have to just get the White House team to do literally everything for him, and he can just do the stuff which involves shaking people's hands and going on the telly.

Wonder how dated The West Wing is now
    It'll be very interesting to see how it works. I agree that he'll be more the face of the operation, but he'll still ultimately be the man in charge and having to decide what he wants to do. It'd be great fun watching the west FUME if he strikes a deal with Putin.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump's wall is now a fence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parts of it are going to be a fence which, if you're serious about building a physical barrier, make sense given there are also huge fucking deserts which people aren't going to be able to get across anyway.

I think everybody needs to stop raking over every little shift or nuancing of policy. It hasn't been a week yet and already everybody is desperate to discredit it - you'll have run out of material by the time 2020 rolls around.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck that noise. If we let this slide then we're basically saying we're okay with a campaign run devolving into a farce. Presidents need to be held accountable for what they spout on the trail.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wall was a stupid idea from pretty much any angle you want to look at it, the scope will be pared back until it can be quietly forgotten because you'd have to be batshit insane to actually do it. It's already done as much as it's going to do as a talking point during the campaign, better to take some heat for binning it than get crucified for spending billions on a pointless white elephant.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Fuck that noise. If we let this slide then we're basically saying we're okay with a campaign run devolving into a farce. Presidents need to be held accountable for what they spout on the trail.
    They are, they're called elections.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I asked for a wall and got a fence / wall hybrid, I'd be livid. Much like if I enrolled in a college and paid fees, expecting to be educated. Only to find the college mysteriously defunct.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's all this about Trump University? People suing him for fraud and it going to trial in December? Among other pending lawsuits apparently.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    75 pending lawsuits. Some from him, some in his direction. Mostly from the University, sexual assault charges and some campaign funds shenanigans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I'm sure you're familiar with the refrain "you campaign in poetry, you govern in prose". Such is the democratic process.

It hasn't been a week yet, and if you're going to claim FRAUD! every time there's a more nuanced position taken on something then you're going to have a hell of a four years.

He has four years. There are checks and balances within the system. He has a mandate for those four years. If he doesn't hold to his promises, it will be up to the electorate to decide next time if he deserves another four years or gets replaced. That's accountability.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The structure of 'Trump University' (lol) will surely have been designed specifically to prevent people suing President Trump himself.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wall is getting built. It's going to be huge.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just a good job both countries don't have large coastlines.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    Wall is getting built. It's going to be yuge.
    ftfy

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm more worried about the religious maniacs and Randians that Trump is appointing than the man himself at this point.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I'm more worried about the Patriots who love America Trump is appointing than the man himself at this point.
    ftfy

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you agree with Mike Pence that the theory of evolution is a hoax, mert?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a separate point, the EU convening an EMERGENCY meeting to address Trump, in fact, winning the election is a laugh. Boris has refused to go, so at least we look vaguely sensible amidst the alarm.

We should definitely be leveraging Farage's relationship, such as it is, with Trump - it's not as if we have anyone else on the inside. It appears cabinet are split on the issue, presumably between the pragmatists and the virtue signallers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last year and a half must be particularly gutting for someone with your political view. The forum is here for you, even if the electorate isn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The electorate is there. The Electoral College isn't. Trump can't claim popular validation for his policies, and neither can you. The majority of Americans rejected him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elth View Post
    The electorate is there. The Electoral College isn't. Trump can't claim popular validation for his policies, and neither can you. The majority of Americans rejected him.
    That's irrelevant. Both sides knew the system, and both campaigns were specifically tailored to winning the Electoral College. Had they engaged in a straight fight for popular votes, the campaign strategies would've been wildly different and nobody can say how it would have washed out. It's therefore illegitimate to claim he doesn't have a mandate or 'popular validation' - that's just another attempt to delegitimise the result because you don't like it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you include children and the people who didn't vote it's something like three quarters who rejected him. Once you factor in the dead you're looking at, what, one per cent support for his policies?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pence criticism is valid though. It's a pretty big problem to have politicians at such high levels who believe these things.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My girlfriend was taught in medical school that the theory of evolution is only a theory which many reasonably believe is inadequate in explaining the complexities of molecular biology.

The experts also told me that there was a 99% probability Clinton would be elected and scoffed and shamed anyone who deviated from that belief. I think every potential explanation should be explained.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elth View Post
    Eh. Take out New York and California and Trump won the popular vote handily. It would have been an entirely different election, the candidates weren't campaigning to see who would win the popular vote, it's just not a valid analogy.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    The Pence criticism is valid though. It's a pretty big problem to have politicians at such high levels who believe these things.
    Yep. If you don't hold the views liberals have decided are acceptable to believe in, you're unfit to hold public office. Makes sense.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus Christ. I've tried to be restrained and not engage you Mert, but when you start peddling out the "just a theory" line about evolution, then you deserve the ridicule.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just your theory.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Jesus Christ. I've tried to be restrained and not engage you Mert, but when you start peddling out the "just a theory" line about evolution, then you deserve the ridicule.
    That's what they literally teach at my girlfriends very prestigious medical school, despite the certainty with which the secular media elites have tried to suppress any speculation to the contrary.

Why should I trust the academic establishment's view on anything? They have handily exposed themselves as partisan hacks whose conclusions are influenced just as much by their own ideology as it is any pursuit of objective Truth.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My girlfriend was taught in medical school that the theory of evolution is only a theory which many reasonably believe is inadequate in explaining the complexities of molecular biology.

The experts also told me that there was a 99% probability Clinton would be elected and scoffed and shamed anyone who deviated from that belief. I think every potential explanation should be explained.
    And no they didn't. Noone said that Trump had a 1% chance. The odds on the day of the vote were more like 80/20 in Hillary's favour.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    And no they didn't. Noone said that Trump had a 1% chance. The odds on the day of the vote were more like 80/20 in Hillary's favour.
    A survey from the Princeton Election Consortium has found that Hillary Clinton has a 99 per cent chance of winning the election over Donald Trump:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7399671.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what they literally teach at my girlfriends very prestigious medical school, despite the certainty with which the secular media elites have tried to suppress any speculation to the contrary.

Why should I trust the academic establishment's view on anything? They have handily exposed themselves as partisan hacks whose conclusions are influenced just as much by their own ideology as it is any pursuit of objective Truth.
    Don't be dense.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A survey from the Princeton Election Consortium has found that Hillary Clinton has a 99 per cent chance of winning the election over Donald Trump:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7399671.html
    Since when did one individual count as "the experts"? It was well acknowledged that Hillary was the strong favourite, but noone with any real credibility really thought it was anything close to a 99% certainty. I'm sure you can find some idiot saying Trump had a 99% chance of winning if you look hard enough,

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liberals aren't driven by a desire to find the truth, only a desire to add credibility to the arguments made by their preferred brand of politics. I don't believe them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't react to that. It's clearly baiting. Mert's not that stupid, I'm pretty sure.

I did enjoy Gingrich's quote:

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich, a close adviser to Trump, told the Washington Post: “He’ll spend a lot of time controlling the border. He may not spend very much time trying to get Mexico to pay for it, but it was a great campaign device.”
    At least they're honest that you can say anything you want in a campaign, without even having a smidge of intention to follow through. A "campaign device" is even better than John Howard's classic "non-core promise".

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wall was always understood as symbolic, even by his supporters. It's getting built anyways mind you.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wall was always understood as symbolic, even by his supporters. It's getting built anyways mind you.
    That first part is a lie. He said it would be made of pre-cast concrete, and costed it (incorrectly) at $12 billion. He's talking about a physical wall.

It's rolling back a campaign promise. Which is fine - every politician does it. But don't go rewriting history, either.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    That first part is a lie. He said it would be made of pre-cast concrete, and costed it (incorrectly) at $12 billion. He's talking about a physical wall.

It's rolling back a campaign promise. Which is fine - every politician does it. But don't go rewriting history, either.
    Not according to the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...b54_story.html

Ian Carney, who works in construction and came to the Albuquerque rally with his girlfriend, described the wall as simply a “rhetorical device” that Trump uses.

“Personally, I think it’s symbolic. I mean, a physical wall?” said Carney, 26. “It’s just such a strong vision and idea, but I just care about the border being secure.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's irrelevant. Both sides knew the system, and both campaigns were specifically tailored to winning the Electoral College. Had they engaged in a straight fight for popular votes, the campaign strategies would've been wildly different and nobody can say how it would have washed out. It's therefore illegitimate to claim he doesn't have a mandate or 'popular validation' - that's just another attempt to delegitimise the result because you don't like it.
    Nonsense. As are the ideas of mandates - you implement the policies you can implement, nobody owes you anything.

Trump is entitled to attempt to implement anything he wants, he's going to legitimately be the leader. That doesn't mean he wasn't rejected by the majority of Americans who voted, and it doesn't mean sycophants like you can claim popular validation for his platform. It was popularly rejected.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh. Take out New York and California and Trump won the popular vote handily. It would have been an entirely different election, the candidates weren't campaigning to see who would win the popular vote, it's just not a valid analogy.
    Yeah, and take out the Midwest and Clinton would have won the Electoral College easily as well as the popular vote.

I have no problem with Trump implementing his platform as best he is able, but dickheads like GS justifying demagoguery and reactionary policies on the basis of popularity, when Trump lost the popular vote, have no validity.