User Tag List

Page 66 of 238 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,300 of 11872

Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    If Trump wins I'll buy the 'Make America Great Again' caps for myself and Pepe and I'll ship one to Lewis. Bants.
    Surely it'll need to be 'Making America Great Again'?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "hidden" non-college educated White vote will determine who wins this election:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgo...-class-voters/

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The LiveLeak comments section posters, basically.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far this has had almost an exact correlation with the EU referendum in every respect, so enjoy that, America.

I wonder how much Trump would be beating Bernie 'the Colonel' Sanders by. A lot, probably.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hidden white apologist vote would propel Bernie to a massive landslide victory.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely Sanders would win? Hilary seems to be winning by default rather than anyone liking her. Old man Sanders would walk this, I reckon.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    The hidden white apologist vote would propel Bernie to a massive landslide victory.
    What? Only doomed, Islamic by 2050 Europe holds such vast numbers of them.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    If Trump wins I'll buy the 'Make America Great Again' caps for myself and Pepe and I'll ship one to Lewis. Bants.
    If you could do that anyway, I'll pay you back when I get a job (*snigger*).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't order them online?

Some lad was selling 'Fuck Trump' tshirts on the street this weekend.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the entire FOX team have got coked up to their eyeballs for this

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Can't order them online?

Some lad was selling 'Fuck Trump' tshirts on the street this weekend.
    I want one with the smell of freedom still on it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    If you could do that anyway, I'll pay you back when I get a job (*snigger*).
    PM me your address. I really want one now that I've come to terms with it.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "These elite establishment types don't understand what's going on"

"Have you seen this clipping from Brookings on what's really going on?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump winning would be hilarious for about ten minutes, then terrifying for the next four years. Do not want.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than terrifying, it would be fucking boring with everyone whingeing on about everything he does. Although I suppose it would divert their attention from whingeing about everything Liam Fox does. Phonics would have to set up a bot to make smug posts about one of the two whilst he concentrated on the other.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brillo is terrifying in HD. Has he stopped dying his eyebrows?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's over. He can't win without Flo Rida.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that how states are being announced now? Through a fucking shitter account?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the oldest thing you've ever posted.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably. I can't really tell for sure what's going on there.

It's incomprehensible gibberish.

'@real' '#' 'Flo Rida'

It's the visual representation of a headache.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go to bed, Yev.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Igor's not coping well with the wait.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance, I want to taste your tears at 2am Boyd.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is so good.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't be crying.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebodys shooting up a polling station in California. Thanks Obama

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank Luntz calling it for Hillary already. Oh well, much ado about nothing it seems.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    Frank Luntz calling it for Hillary already. Oh well, much ado about nothing it seems.
    Woah. Last I saw he was suggesting that Michigan could be worth watching.

What a change a couple of hours can make. Still plenty more hours yet though. That said, if they can call Florida or North Carolina early for the Democrats, then all the Brits will be able to get an early night.

EDIT: Although it sounds like the Democrats in North Carolina are running into turnout issues due to restrictions and polling place closings, which is a bit of an embarrassment to democracy.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rand Paul is projected to win his whatever it is. Pepe.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's crazy to me that they're starting to call states while people can still vote in other states. Not quite the affront to basic democracy that is weekday voting, but still a bit crazy.

Last time around, most places called the election minutes after polls in the west closed, and even waiting for that was basically just out of politeness. Alaska still had an hour of voting to go.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Woah. Last I saw he was suggesting that Michigan could be worth watching.

What a change a couple of hours can make. Still plenty more hours yet though. That said, if they can call Florida or North Carolina early for the Democrats, then all the Brits will be able to get an early night.

EDIT: Although it sounds like the Democrats in North Carolina are running into turnout issues due to restrictions and polling place closings, which is a bit of an embarrassment to democracy.
    He might edge NC (more likely) and/or FL (less likely) and will probably take OH and IA but that means that there are issues with turnout / demographics in the exit polls will hold back that extra state even in a best case scenario.

Demographically (and politically) it seems like America is trending towards just becoming another Brazil. Maybe we'll be better at soccer in the future.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To what extent do we Americans live in a democracy where individual citizens make objective decisions on policy, versus a fractured tribal nation where racial interest groups vote as blocks to maximize the amount of resources which are distributed to their community?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    49% to 48% in favour of Clinton in Florida, after 3m votes counted. Could be as much as 1.9% or as little as 0.1% in that mind.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BBC just had Peter Griffin on.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    49% to 48% in favour of Clinton in Florida, after 3m votes counted. Could be as much as 1.9% or as little as 0.1% in that mind.
    Swung the other way after 5m, but they still seem fairly sure Clinton is going to take it.

Doubt I'll last much longer tonight though, hopefully something interesting happens soon.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To what extent do we Americans live in a democracy where individual citizens make objective decisions on policy, versus a fractured tribal nation where racial interest groups vote as blocks to maximize the amount of resources which are distributed to their community?
    The Republican ticket this time around basically ran on a "we don't talk about policy" policy. And when Trump did talk about policy (such as the tax plan), the details were wildly varying. I think that did hurt him a little, but not as much as it would in a lot of other places. His voter base really isn't interested in policy details, beyond four words that can fit on a hat.

(One economics journalist gave a blow-by-blow review of the Trump tax plan's many twists and turns. It's a bit of an adventure: https://twitter.com/AlanMCole/status/796066951802064900)

EDIT: This isn't even a slam. People vote for all kinds of reasons beyond policy, and that's never going to change. It's a slight concern to see politicians embrace that though. Although the truth is that we kind of know what we want from the candidates. A vote for Clinton is more of the status quo. A vote for Trump is a vote to disrupt the system, without any real detail beyond that.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise that they count votes in-state before polling is closed. They've been counting in Florida for ages, and the votes don't close until the top of this hour.

I swear, the US is what you get when aliens watch democracy and try to implement it without actually understanding it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The disruption of the homogeneous 'we', which forms the essential basis of parliamentary democracy and therefore of our liberties, is now approaching the point at which the political mechanics of a 'divided community' (if I may borrow terminology from jargon devised to describe the Ulster scene) take charge and begin to operate autonomously. Let me illustrate this pathology of a society that is being eaten alive; for this is a branch of medicine where the clinical material is abundant and the symptoms richly documented.

The two active ingredients are grievance and violence. Where a community is divided, grievance is for practical purposes inexhaustible. When violence is injected - and quite a little will suffice for a start - there begins an escalating competition to discover grievance and to remove it. The materials lie ready to hand in a multiplicity of agencies with a vested interest, more or less benevolent, in the process of discovering grievances and demanding their removal. The spiral is easily maintained in upward movement by the repetitions and escalation of violence. At each stage alienation between the various elements of society is increased, and the constant disappointment that the imagined remedies yield a reverse result leads to growing bitterness and despair. Hand in hand with the exploitation of grievance goes the equally counterproductive process which will no doubt, as usual, be called the 'search for a political solution'. The electoral distribution in England of the unassimilated populations affords exceptionally favourable circumstances for this process. Indeed, attention has already been drawn publicly to the potentially critical factor of the so-called immigrant vote in an increasing number of worthwhile constituencies. The result is that the political parties of the indigenous population vie with one another for votes by promising remedy of the grievances which are being uncovered and exploited in the context of actual or threatened violence. Thus the legislature finds itself in effect manipulated by minorities instead of responding to majorities, and is watched by the public at large with a bewildering and frustration, not to say cynicism, of which the experience of legislation hitherto in the field of immigration and race relations afford some pale idea.

The next stage is reached when the wedge-effect is transferred from the electorate to the legislature itself. For 5 per cent of the total population, a proportion probably reached already but in any case not far off, the quota of Members of Parliament, if once the notion of quota is accepted, would be some 32 Members... A lower representation than this of the 'coloured' or 'black' population - it tends increasingly to be brought under one single classification in order to enhance its leverage - would presently be regarded as an evidence of deliberate discrimination which must be counteracted, if necessary artificially. I need not follow the analysis further in order to demonstrate how parliamentary democracy disintegrates when the national homogeneity of the electorate is broken by a large and sharp alteration in the composition of the population. While the institutions and liberties on which British liberty depends are being progressively surrendered to the European superstate, the forces which will sap and destroy them from within are allowed to accumulate unchecked. And all the time we are invited to direct towards Angola or Siberia the anxious attention that the real danger within our power and our borders imperatively demand.
    Enoch Powell, April, 1976.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    I swear, the US is what you get when aliens watch democracy and try to implement it without actually understanding it.

That really sums up America on a lot of things, to be honest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing in any of the exit polls or first results to suggest that there's a polling error. Clinton still a 2 to 1 favourite.

Republicans looking good in the Senate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clinton leading in FL is key. Surely Trump can't win if he doesn't take that state.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He "can" but it requires some pretty unlikely and inconsistent results elsewhere.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the obvious states are getting called now.

Senate's going to be tight, and there's some suggestion of a potential Democratic upset in Missouri which could be critical.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some Texan wally has been arrested for trying to vote twice. Said he worked for Trump and was testing the system. I can't decide if it'd be more lol for that to be true, or for that to be a story someone thought would get them away with it. It's like getting caught shoplifting and claiming to be the secret shopper.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Florida gap. Jesus.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy is a nutcase.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Florida Latinos absolutely fucking Trump up the arse. I'm sure Mert has said loads of times that Trump was polling much better than Romney did with Latinos, but he's losing them by ten points more than Romney in Florida at the moment.