User Tag List

Page 13 of 238 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aiming for vice-presidency maybe? Fuck knows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    What's likely to happen with the House and Senate? I can't find any info on polling for that. Are the Democrats likely to take back some control there?
    Not in the House. The Republicans have essentially gerrymandered House districts to the point that Democrats can't win it without the GOP collapsing entirely.

They can get back to 50/50 or marginal control of the Senate if they can get a big turnout, though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Trump 'campaign' is so batshit ridiculous that it wouldn't surprise me if the next big endorsement came from Bonnie Greer.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump in a time of national crisis would be fun to watch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is actually brilliant to watch.

I almost hope he wins, just to see what happens.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be worth it just to see Marine One fuck with that barnet.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    And you can't leave out the awkward family photo...
    Or the fact that he said he'd probably be dating her if she wasn't his daughter.

I see Hillary has finally been forced to confront the 'super-predator' thing. Several polls now have Sanders ahead decently nationally, which is fucking incredible whatever happens.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS View Post
    He is actually brilliant to watch.

I almost hope he wins, just to see what happens.
    Agreed, he's hilarious. Trump for President.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Trump's latest wall, fence, partition proposal has been blocked by the house."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donald Trump's wife. I would.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd think with a few billion knocking around you'd be able to afford a better makeup 'artist' than whoever's done it in that second picture.

The colour of those cheeks, for fuck's sake.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    You'd think with a few billion knocking around you'd be able to afford a better makeup 'artist' than whoever's done it in that second picture.

The colour of those cheeks, for fuck's sake.
    I'm too busy looking at her chest cheeks.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was fun whilst it lasted, 'Bernie'. Let that be a lesson, Spoon. Never get excited about anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are black voters opting so resoundingly for Clinton over Sanders? Everywhere I've read gives it the "as expected" when highlighting the 80-20 split of votes from that demographic but I've not seen anything in her campaigning that would explain it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...7df_story.html

Goodish article on it, although the race thing over there is far, far beyond my comprehension. They don't seem to have moved on very far from about 1875 in some respects.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other words, she's lied to them as well? Great.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It was fun whilst it lasted, 'Bernie'. Let that be a lesson, Spoon. Never get excited about anything.
    He won't win, probably, although this result comes as a surprise to nobody ('Super Tuesday' is the big one). I see him now as sort of liberal Barry Goldwater - he's politicized a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise have been, young people support him overwhelmingly, and he's shown that even after Citizens United it's possible to run a viable campaign without giving in to moneyed interests. He's already changed the Democratic Party a lot, I hope. It won't surprise me at all if in a decade or two we see a younger, better candidate fulfill his dream, just like Reagan fulfilled Goldwater's - and to that end all the volunteering and stuff has been worth it, because every day that he's a competitive candidate is a day for more people to learn about him. That's also why I think he'll keep running even when it will seem hopeless.

Why are black voters opting so resoundingly for Clinton over Sanders? Everywhere I've read gives it the "as expected" when highlighting the 80-20 split of votes from that demographic but I've not seen anything in her campaigning that would explain it.
    This was a good article about it. That and, as Jimmy and Lewis have said, she's better at talking than he is.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either that or he basically did well by default, and had there been a more 'credible' (in the wanky electoral sense) alternative to 'Hillary' he would have tanked. I bet if it had only been Mitt Romney and Ron Paul in 2008/12 the latter would have picked up a healthy number of youth and weirdos before being crushed.

Barry Goldwater.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O'Malley was 'credible.'

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, that the 'black vote' is what going to give Clinton the win is seriously lol. What a country.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What she says is essentially identity politics wank. It doesn't change anything. Fuck that.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although maybe she'll talk her Wall Street donors into giving jobs to a few more token black people. Balance up those boardrooms!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Either that or he basically did well by default, and had there been a more 'credible' (in the wanky electoral sense) alternative to 'Hillary' he would have tanked. I bet if it had only been Mitt Romney and Ron Paul in 2008/12 the latter would have picked up a healthy number of youth and weirdos before being crushed.

Barry Goldwater.
    That's true, maybe. Obama would've definitely won a third term (and fuck term limits, by the way. Haters gonna hate), but if Sanders hadn't run, would O'Malley have done well by default?

There was an interesting piece in the New Yorker a few months ago talking about the missing generation of Democrats who became Republicans during the Reagan era. It said that Democrats in Washington are basically a bunch of old geezers and their Millennial interns. O'Malley was the only viable candidate in his 40s or 50s, and he was a bust.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    What she says is essentially identity politics wank. It doesn't change anything. Fuck that.
    Nah, what she says is alright, it's just that there's also the fact that she shares a fair amount of responsibility for the War on Crime and the mass incarceration of blacks in this country. Which people seem to forget very easily.

I'd have the two as fairly equal on issues of color. She speaks better and more convincingly about it, he has the slightly better track record. I just wish the support were more even as well.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That ignores the fact that his proposed policies, whether economic or regarding criminal justice, would benefit the black community the most, but they dont seem to care for that, they really want their issues to be treated completely separately. Which is ok I suppose.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Nah, what she says is alright, it's just that there's also the fact that she shares a fair amount of responsibility for the War on Crime and the mass incarceration of blacks in this country. Which people seem to forget very easily.

I'd have the two as fairly equal on issues of color. She speaks better and more convincingly about it, he has the slightly better track record. I just wish the support were more even as well.
    I can think of someone else responsible for the mass incarceration of blacks.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    That ignores the fact that his proposed policies, whether economic or regarding criminal justice, would benefit the black community the most, but they dont seem to care for that, they really want their issues to be treated completely separately. Which is ok I suppose.
    Sounds like the KKK.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Martin O'Malley is a gimp, and he doesn't have the 'Bernie' schtick of having been moaning about everything for forty years, so if you're after an alternative you go with the most obvious contrast. He was like Rick Perry if 'Bernie' was Ron Paul. That Elizabeth Warren might have thrown some confusion into things, not least the 'Hillary' platform of voting for a vagina.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help but think that Warren is a 'flavour of the month' personality. I guess we'll see in eight years.

EDIT: 'It's not that I don't like universal healthcare etc. If it was Warren I would vote for her.' 'I have no issue with her being a woman. If it was Warren I would vote for her.'

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Toby
    Jimmy and Spoonsky's articles are great and when combined hit the mark. Sanders has huge optics problems where I am from (I think you call it the Deep South) among the non-university liberal crowd both white and black. My mom calls Bernie a "civil rights carpetbagger." White northerners tell us he has this great track record on civil rights, but then why don't any of the people involved in the struggle for the last fifty years know who he is? There is a massive disconnect and politics are retail.

His supporters (not Spoonsky or Pepe) are worse. They continually come off as lecturing African Americans (and Southerners) as not knowing or understanding the issues in their own community. After the South Carolina shooting there was once again the call of guns, guns, guns. However, groups there wanted to talk about the legacy of the Civil War and Jim Crow. Invariably, the discussion shifts to groups falling for identity / victim politics and them being too stupid to understand. Down south we scratch are heads and think - if you only listened for once we could tell you between 10-40 churches and synagogues get attacked a year. And no, it is not GUUUUNs because the vast majority are firebombed. I'm not saying Bernie is bad but he has huge perception problems and people go with who is perceived to be listening to them.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    White northerners tell us he has this great track record on civil rights, but then why don't any of the people involved in the struggle for the last fifty years know who he is?
    That's interesting. Have his supporters tried to make out that he was a much more significant figure than he was? If so, wouldn't it have just been enough to say he did his youthful bit and supported it as best he could being a nobody? It's a bit like (or not like if 'Bernie' himself hasn't encouraged it) the Marco Rubio origin story. Isn't it enough that he was the son of immigrants and has clearly done quite well for himself? You've already got THE AMERICAN DREAM sorted. Why add the fleeing communism bit? It's obviously going to be found out.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a line from one of the articles that really hit home for me. I don't think any of his supporters have done that intentionally. I think they are tone deaf and if you were born past 1980 marching with Dr. King is marching with Dr. King and they are shocked that is not enough. It is just different if you have been in the trenches for 50 years. He did much more than most in his generation, but he mostly worked in Chicago - not down south. So people down south don't know him. And let's be honest, there are not many minorities in Vermont so what exactly is he meant to do? He just needed to be in the churches more and at universities less. Hillary has been at the church meetings for 20 odd years. It counts.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    @Toby
    White northerners tell us he has this great track record on civil rights, but then why don't any of the people involved in the struggle for the last fifty years know who he is?
    Jesus, looks like the shite from Hilary's campaign is working. He was there for the duration, and several people have vouched for that, and there was a piece of research done suggesting he was there for 95% of the major rallies etc at the time. The endorsements Hilary has are from establishment black groups that attempt to portray themselves are normal people on the ground. They're ever much a part of the democratic establishment that wants Hilary elected as gimps like Wasserman Schultz. The last mob was led by two geezers who make quite a lot of money from student loans. Wonder why they're backing her over Bernie?

That the black vote is almost entirely going to Hilary given what the Clintons have done to harm that same community is depressing as fuck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @phonics there seems to be something wrong with the board, it's trying to tell me a post with multiple paragraphs was written by Davgooner.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davgooner View Post
    Jesus, looks like the shite from Hilary's campaign is working. He was there for the duration, and several people have vouched for that, and there was a piece of research done suggesting he was there for 95% of the major rallies etc at the time. The endorsements Hilary has are from establishment black groups that attempt to portray themselves are normal people on the ground. They're ever much a part of the democratic establishment that wants Hilary elected as gimps like Wasserman Schultz. The last mob was led by two geezers who make quite a lot of money from student loans. Wonder why they're backing her over Bernie?

That the black vote is almost entirely going to Hilary given what the Clintons have done to harm that same community is depressing as fuck.
    Yes but if he is so awesome why haven't I heard of him before? Name recognition is everything apparently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Or maybe they're just not gullible enough to think Sanders has a hope in hell of getting any of his daydream policies into practice.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is 'the black community'?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elth View Post
    Or maybe they're just not gullible enough to think Sanders has a hope in hell of getting any of his daydream policies into practice.
    Must be that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I hear Trump quoted Mussolini on Twitter, and refused to disavow an endorsement from David Dukes of the KKK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He retweeted an innocuous quote* of Mussolini's that had been (falsely) attributed to him by a bot account. It hardly marks him as a fascist.

*“It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep.”

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unelectable, I've heard.

Edit: Bernie that is.

Trump has retweeted all manner of right-wing nutters, quite intentionally.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal favourite was the manual retweet of @WhiteGenocideTM who's bio links to this piece of insanity

http://thegreateststorynevertold.tv/

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It literally doesn't matter what he does though. All that matters is that he dominates the agenda. Substance is irrelevant and not part of this campaign.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He retweeted an innocuous quote* of Mussolini's that had been (falsely) attributed to him by a bot account. It hardly marks him as a fascist.

*“It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep.”
    His politics are proto-fascist and he's clearly interested in mobilising that constituency. Anyone else would have run a mile from anything to do with Mussolini.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    His politics are proto-fascist and he's clearly interested in mobilising that constituency. Anyone else would have run a mile from anything to do with Mussolini.
    If they recognised it as a Mussolini quote. It was falsely attributed as a quote from one of his books, and sounds conceivably like the sort of wank you get in business dinner speaker monologues.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It literally doesn't matter what he does though. All that matters is that he dominates the agenda. Substance is irrelevant and not part of this campaign.
    'This.'

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh it matters that he keeps endorsing racists. His supporters demand it.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're also forgetting that the next state up is Alabama.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Oliver went in fairly hard on Trump last night. Petty feud incoming.