User Tag List

Page 90 of 173 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,500 of 8610

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Star Wars game seems good but the framerate is absolute gash at the moment.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there's a Half-Life: Alyx VR game coming out.

I assume this will be set before / during the events of Half-Life 2 up to Ep 2 but imagine the seethe if this was essentially their Episode 3 / follow-up.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any must plays on Playstation Now?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    So there's a Half-Life: Alyx VR game coming out.

I assume this will be set before / during the events of Half-Life 2 up to Ep 2 but imagine the seethe if this was essentially their Episode 3 / follow-up.
    I would laugh quite a lot if HL3 ended up on the wanker platform that no-one bought.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Really, you guys, VR is totally the future! "

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) It's a prequel
    2) They've always done this. Half-Life only ran on certain cards. Half-Life 2 similarly. The games have always been about pushing a technology forward.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit shit that it's a prequel and therefore won't have an "endless fawning over the protagonist" mechanic to really capture Alyx's main character beat.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, everyone fawns over "GORDON FREEMAN!".

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    1) It's a prequel
    2) They've always done this. Half-Life only ran on certain cards. Half-Life 2 similarly. The games have always been about pushing a technology forward.
    Viable technology, VR is going nowhere Half Life or not.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    To be fair, everyone fawns over "GORDON FREEMAN!".
    Yeah but I don't think anybody was holding Barney up as some amazingly written character which the sweaty basement contingent did with Alyx at the time. I think mostly because she's nice and doesn't have her tits out, therefore feminist icon.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And mixed race. Boxes ticked. Plus she animated well, like a r3al gIrl.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Shenmue 3 is out today for the bargainous price of £45.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im off for the next two weeks and im looking to finally play God of War

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else get an email from EA Origin Access saying they've redeemed a membership code and shat themselves thinking they've been hacked?

Apparently it's some promotion from EA giving people a free month. Could've fucking said that in the email, dickheads.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't get one. Do you have to have subscribed to Origin Access at some point and it's a "please come back we love you" thing or trying to entice new folk?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Any must plays on Playstation Now?
    Cheers lads, I'll start smashing my way through the list.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Cheers lads, I'll start smashing my way through the list.
    Sorta stuff do you play? I don't have a Playstation but because I'm such a top lad (and bored) I can have a look for stuff I can recommend that've also been on PC.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorta stuff do you play? I don't have a Playstation but because I'm such a top lad (and bored) I can have a look for stuff I can recommend that've also been on PC.
    Cheers Ian. A true bro.

I'm currently playing Fifa and replaying Mafia II (which has not aged well). Mafia III will follow.

I have time for Sports Games and GTA style games. No interest in COD or any online shite. I prefer to play through a story or take a team/player through a career.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Spikey M
    Looking at the list of games, apparently PS Now has Prey, which is excellent but doesn't necessarily fit into what you've described as your cup of tea there. The Last of Us likewise, while also being an obvious one to suggest for Playstation but it's more stealthy than yer GTA-esque action. God of War is also meant to be excellent but is a different sort of thing again.

I guess Rocket League vaguely falls into "sports" and is a blast but you'd really be better if you know other people playing that, you may get some on here on PS4, I dunno.

Saints Row games are broadly speaking like GTA but sillier.

When you say you've no interest in COD do you mean FPS' in general? DOOM and the new Wolfensteins are different from each other and different to COD and may be worth your time if you've any interest in FPSs, and similarly to this (and to Prey which I mentioned further up) I absolutely fucking love which is an FPS but I'd compare more to Deus Ex than COD.

My "it doesn't fit into what you've said but I'll say it anyway" recommendation is XCOM2.

My "I've no idea what it is but the name made me lol" recommendation is "Fat Princess Adventures."

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like i can get a free trial with PS now which could easily replace my sub to Boomerang Rentals who send you games in the post for a fee. Hopefully, I can get Watch Dogs on PS NOW.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Spikey M
    Looking at the list of games, apparently PS Now has Prey, which is excellent but doesn't necessarily fit into what you've described as your cup of tea there. The Last of Us likewise, while also being an obvious one to suggest for Playstation but it's more stealthy than yer GTA-esque action. God of War is also meant to be excellent but is a different sort of thing again.

I guess Rocket League vaguely falls into "sports" and is a blast but you'd really be better if you know other people playing that, you may get some on here on PS4, I dunno.

Saints Row games are broadly speaking like GTA but sillier.

When you say you've no interest in COD do you mean FPS' in general? DOOM and the new Wolfensteins are different from each other and different to COD and may be worth your time if you've any interest in FPSs, and similarly to this (and to Prey which I mentioned further up) I absolutely fucking love which is an FPS but I'd compare more to Deus Ex than COD.

My "it doesn't fit into what you've said but I'll say it anyway" recommendation is XCOM2.

My "I've no idea what it is but the name made me lol" recommendation is "Fat Princess Adventures."
    Cheers. I'll have a look at them all. Especially Fat Princess Adventures.

It's not that I'm not into FPS, because I used to enjoy them, it's just that the actual game element of the, well, game has pretty much been removed now. All you get with COD these days is an hours worth of 'game' then a shit tonne of online features. These online features tend to end with me getting repeatedly teabagged and laughed at by 12 year olds.

I guess the best way of describing my taste is that I like detailed missions and longterm gameplay, not single matches and arcadey throw away stuff.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then the other FPSes I mentioned may be of more interest. I haven't played DOOM but it got great reviews and is very much a "pure" FPS without much by way of story. The new Wolfenstein games are more like an old fashioned shooter to an extent but with a surprisingly decent amount of character / story for an alt-history game about murdering Nazis by the dozen.

Prey and Dishonoured are both a little different, with different approaches (i.e. you don't have to just shoot stuff and it's probably best that you don't.)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mafia 3 is pure bilge, Spikey. The story has fuck all to do with either the previous games or the mafia in general, and the controls feel like you're drunkenly playing an old GTA via a bad internet connection. Use whatever time you'd set aside to play that on The Last Of Us instead.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's shit. Mafia II was one of my favourites when it came out.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only played about ninety minutes or so of Mafia 3 so it's possible they tie it into the previous games somehow a bit further through, but it's set in the deep south and rather than guiding a mafioso up through the ranks you play as a black lad trying to bring down all the local crime rings with the backing of the fucking CIA.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll probably still give it a shot, but this is disappointing stuff.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the newer Far Cry games qualify as shooters with a decent story? The story in 4 faded into the background enough to not get in the way of all the mad running about whilst murdering half of not-Tibet, I gather number 5 is similar (and you get a dog).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a sucker for a Ubisoft map-clear-'em-up and I drifted away from Far Cry 5 quite early. I will probably go back to it but it didn't grab me the way 3 and 4 did.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to play devil's advocate a little bit, I actually remember really enjoying the story aspect of Mafia 3 a lot. I've no idea how it relates to the previous instalments because I never played them, but the way they put it together it was really cool.

They framed a lot of it through this sort of faux-documentary style where they were interviewing people from the story in the modern day about the events of the past, i.e. the plot of the actual game. It was quite clever. The voice acting and the cinematic were spot on. It also had one of the best soundtracks of any open world game I've ever played.

It's just that the gameplay got very repetitive quite quickly. The city itself was often beautiful and had a really unique tone but it just felt pretty empty, like they had forgotten to fill it up with any sort of variety of things to do. So you ended up in this rinse and repeat loop of often quite monotonous mission types. The AI wasn't great either, so nothing ever felt like much of a challenge.

I wouldn't say it was a bad game though Spikey, if that makes you feel any better.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Do the newer Far Cry games qualify as shooters with a decent story? The story in 4 faded into the background enough to not get in the way of all the mad running about whilst murdering half of not-Tibet, I gather number 5 is similar (and you get a dog).
    I have Far Cry 5 in a drawer somewhere, just not got round to it yet.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd give DOOM a shot. There is a speed to that game I haven't seen shooters get to in a long while. F.E.A.R.'s on the list. That's ... probably aged well.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate a little bit, I actually remember really enjoying the story aspect of Mafia 3 a lot. I've no idea how it relates to the previous instalments because I never played them, but the way they put it together it was really cool.

They framed a lot of it through this sort of faux-documentary style where they were interviewing people from the story in the modern day about the events of the past, i.e. the plot of the actual game. It was quite clever. The voice acting and the cinematic were spot on. It also had one of the best soundtracks of any open world game I've ever played.

It's just that the gameplay got very repetitive quite quickly. The city itself was often beautiful and had a really unique tone but it just felt pretty empty, like they had forgotten to fill it up with any sort of variety of things to do. So you ended up in this rinse and repeat loop of often quite monotonous mission types. The AI wasn't great either, so nothing ever felt like much of a challenge.

I wouldn't say it was a bad game though Spikey, if that makes you feel any better.
    Open World stuff has to be done really carefully for it to work. Red Dead Redemption 2 is currently sitting uncompleted in a drawer because it pissed me off having to ride for 7 hours to get to each mission. Then, if you accidentally crash your hose you have to spend the next 8 years trying to get a new one.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mafia 3 was way, way better than 2. Still very 7/10 though.

Seeing your list I'm going to go quite mainstream.

Bioshock Infinite (story based FPS)
    Devil May Cry 4 (3rd person action game)
    Dishonored (First person stealth/assassin game)
    Doom (pure FPS)
    Every Metal Gear Solid Game
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (3rd person assassins creed rip off but with cool tricks)
    Saints Row 3
    Until Dawn

All of these games I'd rate 18+ so don't have around the kids. If you need some kid friendly stuff I'll take another look.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, I'll have a look at them.

PS4 time is only ever after the kids/wife is in bed, so no worries there.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love reading about daft video game bugs and that one ranks pretty highly.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disco Elysium finished and it's everything I hoped it would be. Brilliant game

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Symphony of the Night's finally taking off. I binned off the XBLA version because my controller options are shit. I have a wireless pad the batteries melted inside and now it doesn't function. My wired pad has a dodgy stick but a better d-pad. I'm just playing the PSX version on retroarch instead. Save states and being able to speed through unskippable cutscenes are great. I'm half way through the first castle and enjoying it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching Game Grumps do Portal 2 so I've I stalled both. I'd forgotten that the first was a perfect little single sitting game

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Symphony of the Night 'done'. Beat Richter and can't be arsed to jump back in and find the stuff to unlock the inverted castle. Those Jeweled Knuckles fucking carry you through the game.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beat Mortal Kombat 11 yesterday. Enjoyable story tbh. None of the fights were very hard until the very end but I enjoyed it regardless.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought it for the Switch but hated it and probably haven't spent more than maybe two hours on it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, Neverwinter Nights on the PS4 isn't hot.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really enjoying the new Call of Duty multiplayer. I haven't played one more than a few rounds at a friends place since about 8 sequels ago. I refuse to admit my enjoyment might come from averaging top 2-3 on the leader board.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I'm really enjoying the new Call of Duty multiplayer. I haven't played one more than a few rounds at a friends place since about 8 sequels ago. I refuse to admit my enjoyment might come from averaging top 2-3 on the leader board.
    I came in to say the same thing. Im also hooked on the cosmetic aspects of the game. Ive bought two new characters with my own money, becuase I like the weapon charm and skin you get with it. Im having a lot of fun with the MP experiaince at the moment. I havent been this much into a COD game since Black Ops 1 which was in 2010

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made a start on Wasteland 2. I think I'm going to like it very much. How could I not when "Animal Whisperer"* and "Toaster Repair" are two skills you can level up?

* It's no Pet Pal, but what is?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember Toaster Repair being that useful unfortunately. Good game though, combat is very satisfying once you get a handle on your team/skills.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I feel like Mutant Year Zero was as much taking from the combat in this as from XCOM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually a very similar setup to Divinity now I come think about it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having started doing my first proper main mission last night (Ag Centre) there are comparisons to be made with the Divinity: OS games for definite. Environment stuff going on in combat, abilities tying in to dialogue options, having to be quite careful what you're interacting with before you do it in case that otherwise normal-looking door is rigged with explosives, etc.

I do like that the game gives you tutorial pop-ups after you'd learned something. "Oh, friendly fire is a thing by the way" it says just after I've shotgunned my own team-mate in the back of the head.