User Tag List

Page 9 of 173 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: General gaming discussion

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its just me getting older. I went into MGSV thinking I'd do the full shilling but I've finished the story and am glad of the time away from that game. Same goes for Dark Souls. Went into that thinking, "Might be my first platinum" and then ran out of steam. Up to Rom on Bloodbourne now. There really isn't much to Byrgenwyrth. The new patch adds two summons to that place within about a foot of each other.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that was a proper bastard. Wingsuiting onto the wall to get that last one felt good.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taken from an ingame perspective the behaviour of my character is pretty worrying. He arrives as a tourist, is rescued from an attack by the Golden Path and having met their leaders immediately runs off into the countryside and takes on a well equipped army on his own. Blows up convoys, attacks manned outposts and all whilst wearing gear he made himself from the skins of animals he killed.

At some point I'm going to rock back up to the rebels looking for work draped in bloody skins having gunned down hundreds of soldiers. They're going to wonder who the fuck they've let into their country.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ajay's introduction to the yarn makes so little sense I've taken to pretending he's actually rotting in Pagan Min's rape dungeon and this is all just a dream he's having. Far Cry 2 you were a dude in a shithole who happened to be handy in a scrap.

Far Cry 3 you were given magical tattoos to turn you into a killing machine and had the motivation of the wrong'uns killing his brother.

Ajay turns up, gets kidnapped and told some stuff and sees a few people killed and basically just decides he's going to be a superhero. And the Golden Path are no better. Rather than use Ajay and his name as some sort of motivational figure head they just assume he's an 80s action hero, give him some gear and shove him in the direct of the nearest army-manned deathtrap.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Taken from an ingame perspective the behaviour of my character is pretty worrying. He arrives as a tourist, is rescued from an attack by the Golden Path and having met their leaders immediately runs off into the countryside and takes on a well equipped army on his own. Blows up convoys, attacks manned outposts and all whilst wearing gear he made himself from the skins of animals he killed.

At some point I'm going to rock back up to the rebels looking for work draped in bloody skins having gunned down hundreds of soldiers. They're going to wonder who the fuck they've let into their country.

Blasting through the storyline now - the airport mission is good fun. That Shangri-La mission, though... Anyway, I've nearly unlocked the North now. And I opened my skills menu yesterday to find 15 (fifteen) unspent skill points.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yeah, the start of this game is ridiculous. You escape from Pagan and all of a sudden you're running up behind folk and putting a knife through their chest, no fear.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far Cry 2 made perfect sense, you were an established merc with a job to do. Being a badass is at least believable. The last two have inexplicably tried to cast complete noobs as wannabe terminators which is silly but not that out of place given the standard of writing in general.

Just imagine what we'd get if they gave it back to Clint Hocking.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I take it none of you guys did as you were told?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Min, at the very start of the game
    Wait here.
    Pity you only have one save for that thing, really.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, that's great.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's tremendous.

I like it when games reward you for specifically not doing what it wants you to do/what you sort of do out of habit.

I'm sure I've mentioned it on here before but I remember being devastated when I learned that in the first Deus Ex you can save your brother by ignoring what he/the game tells you to do.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've spent so long dicking around in cutscenes that it didn't occur to me to stay put.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just powered through to clear out the fortresses (Min's is disappointingly routine once you've sussed the easiest way to get the trickiest alarm taken out) and radio towers because I wanted the big LMGs.

In terms of fun my favourite method so far has been picking off the alarms from afar and then head in and taking people out with a mixture of firepower and takedowns. There'd be some replay value in the fortresses (and outposts to a lesser extent) just trying different tactics and loadouts. Really I still want to try and do one proper stealth but the sightlines on some of them and the patrols routes would mean you're either relying on a bit of luck or just far more patience than I have for a game where stealth isn't really the name of the game.

Looking forward to trying out the buzzsaw on my next session though.

Out of interest has anybody found themselves siding with Amita during those choices?

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen the Buzzsaw in use and it seems gamebreaking to me. But yeah, I change my load out very regularly. Helps to keep the game fresh.

I can never bring myself to do what Amita wants me to because she's such an annoying, callous character.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The buzzsaw isn't one I'll keep with me all the time. Partly for that reason, partly because "point at the bad people until they fall over" weapons in general are limited use. If I was to replay the fortresses and go noisy I'd use it, that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sidearms change a little as I can't decide between the burst fire pistol and the 87 shotgun but other than that I have an assault rifle/sniper rifle/rpg. The AR will probably be replaced by a decent LMG, certainly if the signature ones are anywhere near as good as they were in 3 (which I suspect they will be as the weapons are pretty similar).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might focus on the Longinus quests left as I quite fancy whatever that swish rocket launcher he has is.

My "core" setup is solid, I just change it to suit my whims.

Sidearm grenade launcher*, Shredder, recurve, Z93 sniper rifle.

* This is the one on shakiest ground as I could just start using explosive arrows in place of it, however it is rather handy having it there to shoot stuff while driving/gyrocoptering.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only seen the very early campaign missions but the woman seemed to be the realist with the bloke being the starstruck idealist (ie a cretin). We'll see though, going to drink copious amounts of tea and shoot people in the dick!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The choices I've had so far (I'll nest the spoilers so nobody should stumble on anything they haven't seen.)

Choice 1
    Toggle Spoiler

Hopefully they surprise me a bit with the next choice options.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sided with Amita the first time but Sabal for all other missions thus far.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rom's down. As suspected, that nice man at the Church was not a nice man but I get items either way. Thanks, bad man. I also have completely lost the thread on where this game is going. From a simple tale about bloodlust to... some weird extra terrestrial madness. Nightmare Frontier can do one. Respawning hunter fights. No ta. Same goes for Unseen Village proper. Scarpering through the map to find a bell maiden just reminds me off a bigger Catacombs debacle. Still, quite glad I've stayed the course with this one. Bring on Dark Souls III blind.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good lols in that mini-sesh of me and Mahow. It did somewhat descend into us trying to kill each other. He also kept getting spawned in stupid places, including mid-air while I was wingsuiting and directly in a fire when he first joined my game.

My favourite, though, was the gyrocopter. Mahow never drives but seemed awfully keen to run to the gyrocopter so I knew he was going to fly away without me. Lobbed a stick C4 on it and just waited until he was "getting away."

And as Cjay said above, the Buzzsaw really is a gamebreaker. Even if you hit them in the body it kills heavies in about a third of a second. Daft. I won't be taking it with me on story missions.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, other than a "here's all the nearby stuff" bit from a radio tower I don't think I've actually seen a crocodile in this despite knowing they exist and having spent plenty of time in the water.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really wanting to like The Order:1886, but it's not giving me much opportunity. Before it was released it was one of the games I was most looking forward to, but I've obviously since read the reviews and lowered expectations a little. Even still, disappointed.

Out with the gun-fighting, combat is awful and basically just a game of reacting quickest to the on-screen prompts. The whole thing just feels like a giant cut-scene with you just expected to get from A to B shooting now and again. Which is a shame, because the storyline actually seems pretty good at the moment.

I don't like the way you can't jump, hide or take out a gun without the game telling you it's an appropriate time to do so. Picking up another weapon is a pain in the arse as well. There's nothing to tell you whether it has more ammo than your current one, so you end up picking it up just to put it down again. When you're in a gun-fight, that's too much time wasted.

I am trying to like it, but it's just not happening at the moment.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Rom's down. As suspected, that nice man at the Church was not a nice man but I get items either way. Thanks, bad man. I also have completely lost the thread on where this game is going. From a simple tale about bloodlust to... some weird extra terrestrial madness. Nightmare Frontier can do one. Respawning hunter fights. No ta. Same goes for Unseen Village proper. Scarpering through the map to find a bell maiden just reminds me off a bigger Catacombs debacle. Still, quite glad I've stayed the course with this one. Bring on Dark Souls III blind.
    When you get to the end mate, to save you replaying the entire game to get all three endings just upload your game save and just reload after the final boss fight.

The Chalice dungeons are just insanely difficult the deeper you get into them to the point I've given up on them which has left me stuck on 80% trophies

You getting the new DLC mate?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be which is why I'm not bothered about endings. I'll replay it with the DLC.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Also, other than a "here's all the nearby stuff" bit from a radio tower I don't think I've actually seen a crocodile in this despite knowing they exist and having spent plenty of time in the water.
    I murdered one from a MG nest but I haven't run into any while charging around the map, which is odd given its propensity for chucking half the population of Wipsnade at you every five minutes.. That could be because the previous game gave me a healthy fear of the water though, I don't go in it unless I really have to.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kill or Be Killed was a very fun mission. Give me a cool environment and some baddies to kill and I'm happy.

Also, anyone tried the .700 Nitro rifle yet? It's beautiful - sounds amazing and it literally blasts enemies away. I'm currently rocking the Cannon, P416, .700 Nitro and the RPG. Not the stealthiest of load outs.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have the .700 signature at the moment, I moved from a regular .700 with the same setup though so the change wasn't as pronounced. It is great for a bolt action though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    I murdered one from a MG nest but I haven't run into any while charging around the map, which is odd given its propensity for chucking half the population of Wipsnade at you every five minutes.. That could be because the previous game gave me a healthy fear of the water though, I don't go in it unless I really have to.
    It certainly gets a lot more hectic on this front once you get into the North. I turned at one point to see Mahow getting set upon by about five wolves not long after we'd been harrassed by some other gang of furry yobs. And the bigger lads (bears, rhinos) seem to be in pairs more often.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a fight with a crocodile earlier in the game, only one I've seen thus far.

Animals tend to hate me though, I've even had pairs of rhinos charge me as well as elephants.

Letting out a tiger last night in hopes that he would attack Ian, only for it to start chasing me around the cage really took the piss.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was hilarious.

I too was chased by a pair of galloping rhinoceroses. Praise Yaulung for the "sprint forever" skill. That said they only actually gave up chasing me after I grappled up a cliff.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing better than being chased by two rhinos and then jumping off a cliff and wingsuiting to safety.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you'll never get that ammo pouch. Sprinted through Yaharg'ul tonight and beat the boss pretty easily. Nice of them to put the easiest boss in the game in the toughest (compulsory) area so far. Game's getting kind of trippy. Still no clue whats going on.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, my weapons are too strong now.

Also I hope Far Cry Primal doesn't see Ubi get a hard-on for all this drug bullshit now. Comfortably the worst bit of Far Cry 3 and 4.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They probably will

In 10,000 BC there was evidence of people chewing on opium poppys and toasting cannabis seeds.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't the enemies more difficult in the northern map? I'm going to blast through the last 2 missions in the south later tonight hopefully.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    Aren't the enemies more difficult in the northern map? I'm going to blast through the last 2 missions in the south later tonight hopefully.
    Not really, you get heavies with flamethrowers which are a bit tougher but that's it.

There's more of them strolling about though, but when you have a decent gun they don't do shit.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meant to have a crack at getting Arena levels tonight but I fell asleep in my chair like an old man.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get why they give the heavies flamethrowers. That makes them far less dangerous in my eyes than giving them a huge LMG or whatever.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the enemies are tougher (even the regular grunts have better body armour and take something sturier to kill them with anything other than a headshot) but yeah, as above, by that point your guns are good enough to balance things out in all but the most chaotic situations.

Still, got the best sniper rifle now and used it to successful snipe out a helicopter pilot. Also shot a guy in the chest.... and one-shotted the yak behind him with the same shot.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished The Order: 1886 tonight. Not very long is it?! Which is a shame because I actually quite enjoyed the story.

Gameplay-wise, it got better as it went on, because you got more involved, but the whole thing is still massively flawed. Stealth kills are awful, combat is awful (waiting for on-screen prompts, really!?) and there is quite literally no opportunity to explore anywhere. The best part of it was being involved in a gun-fight, but once you found a rifle you can pretty much just sail through. There were some decent other guns, but half of them took far too long to shoot and load, you were dead if you used them.

The lycans were pointless and not seen enough. The final 'battle' was one of the worst things I've ever had to do - a test of your reaction time in pressing buttons more than anything skill-based.

It did, however, look fucking amazing.

Thankfully I only paid £15 for it otherwise I'd have been raging.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retsupurae are doing Ripper.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mission combining a long wingsuit flight, hallucinations, crazy voices inside my head, grapple puzzles, and all my weapons being taken away (including never getting my knife back for the whole mission). What a load of balls that was.

Do game developers ever get tired of the 'bad guy let's player character escape for no reason' plot?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far Cry 2's one was amazing.

"Hey, time to sneak out this prison. Oh, the front door is unguarded. And there's a car." <drives off>

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    A mission combining a long wingsuit flight, hallucinations, crazy voices inside my head, grapple puzzles, and all my weapons being taken away (including never getting my knife back for the whole mission). What a load of balls that was.

Do game developers ever get tired of the 'bad guy let's player character escape for no reason' plot?
    If Bond can get away with it for 70 years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been playing quite a bit of the original Assassin's Creed over the past couple of weeks. It's a lot better than I expected, given how much people shat on it in reviews of the Ezio trilogy. Although I can see how it gets repetitive pretty quickly, I still find the core gameplay of climbing on everything very satisfying.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far Cry 4 finished and I've done everything I want to do as well, I think.

Ending:
    Toggle Spoiler

On the whole I think Far Cry 3 was the better game but I did enjoy this very much.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elth View Post
    Been playing quite a bit of the original Assassin's Creed over the past couple of weeks. It's a lot better than I expected, given how much people shat on it in reviews of the Ezio trilogy. Although I can see how it gets repetitive pretty quickly, I still find the core gameplay of climbing on everything very satisfying.
    With good reason. The PC re-release got extra mission types which made the game less barebones. At release it was literally, "Go here, eavesdrop then carry out the VERY SPECIFIC assassination we've outlined for you."