User Tag List

Page 4 of 173 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GTA V is a stupendous piece of work, and I've not even touched the online stuff.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm very much enjoying Far Cry 4 so far. Highlights include a random Golden Path chap suddenly screaming EEAAAAGGLLLLE!!! and firing wilding into the air (I'm with you, buddy) and finding myself being attacked by a wheelbarrow in a shed.
    I've not met any wheelbarrows yet. I have nearly been killed by not-Tibets mental drivers on several occasions though, once when driving a tuk-tuk (fyi I drive tuk tuks pretty much everywhere).

One of the first things I saw outside of the starting town was some guys shouting about an eagle and firing wildly into the air, at the time I thought they were being a bit quaint and over-reacting. Later I found out these heroes must the GP's crack troops as only they could be brave enough to take on those feathery bastards with just a 3-1 advantage.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wheelbarrow was just clipping the shed wall after I nudged it but I did take damage from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Later I found out these heroes must the GP's crack troops as only they could be brave enough to take on those feathery bastards with just a 3-1 advantage.
    Hah.

You say it'll be tomorrow you're up for some co-op action?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the plight of the Kyrati people, I do, but it's hard to remember that when you're hunting wild boar with a bow from atop an elephant.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Galak-Z is one of the most frustrating games. There's clearly a tight, easy to learn, hard to master combat system but the way they want you to play the game with 0 checkpointing means I've had to do the tutorial 3 times. I don't think I'll play it again.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm off to Worcester first thing tomorrow morning so tonight isn't really on. I'll pm you or something when I get back tomorrow afternoon.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Righto. Well I'm out at night but I'm not sure when and then Sunday will probably be a goer all day.

Also, the first time I used one of those tokens which allows you to call in a merc to help you HE got attacked by an eagle rather than me.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the story/Ajay stuff mentioned further up, the second thing I've found where I find Far Cry 3 (and obviously 2) better is predators. Unless I find myself confronted by any enraged rhino without cover I don't cack my pants if I get set upon by a tiger by surprise and it's only early in the gane still. I'm sure in FC3 I felt like I was dicking about with crap weapons for ages.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm going to be firing it up to get started this afternoon, Disco. Want to be in not-too-laughable shape for our co-op date. :bamster:

Also: The Arkham Knight PC stuff rumbles on.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...ight-problems/

12 gig of RAM.
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/2086...10596369779495

Refunds offered

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite right. What an absolute shambles.

I know PC is a funny platform to develop for but has there ever been a worse release than this? I'm sure there must have been. Probably something involving either GFWL or uPlay.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the comments section

after just cause 3 is release i'm boycotting any game from this publisher, as they dont respect pc players
    You show them buddy! Sounds like you're very committed to this boycott.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still remember the Call of Duty [whichever one PC boycott where something like 70% of the members of the boycott group were screenshotted playing it on release day.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its like Yev saying he's going to skip FIFA for a year.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Its like Yev saying he's going to skip FIFA for a year.
    I have this year. There's no chance me buying it now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can somebody with PES2016 tell me it is genuinely the best thing ever?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Console or PC? I think its an improvement on last year's which was a pretty good start on the new consoles. This year the editing is improved but its still a lengthy DIY process. Plays well and weather actually impacts how the pitch plays. If there's still some reservations, wait for the inevitable price drop. On PC its basically the last-gen version, sadly.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Far Cry, 4 Rhino skins required to make a new.....4-man tent? Re-upholster my car? A nice 3 piece suite?

Nope, a wallet. Fuck you game logic.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Can somebody with PES2016 tell me it is genuinely the best thing ever?
    Calling @7om

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'l not buy it then. No excuse for shit PC versions.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Far Cry, 4 Rhino skins required to make a new.....4-man tent? Re-upholster my car? A nice 3 piece suite?

Nope, a wallet. Fuck you game logic.
    How much leather do you get off an exploded Rhino? Someone must've done the science on that. There's just far too much faff with Far Cry 4.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, you don't get anything if you blow it up. I'm going after them with elephants now.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of soloing today on Far Cry 4 and I've taken my tally of destroyed gyropcopters from 2 up to 4.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are the worst ever gyrocopterist.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably the reason why The Golden Path have lost faith in me and have decided to run me over a couple of times.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What with that and us charging about their bases on elephants.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do Gyros cut out at a certain altitude or am I just being a mong?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do Gyros cut out at a certain altitude or am I just being a mong?
    They do.

I was trying to go over a mountain, it cut out and then it kept cutting back in when my gyro was sliding down a mountain. The scraping sound the blades were making against said mountain was really annoying.

As was the gyro deciding to explode after a minute or so.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a certain raised tableau bit near the area you start out which is especially problematic as wrong'uns like to mill about on it and you can't get that much clearance before the gyro goes ape.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had an elephant turn aggressive

I used it to kill a rhino, jumped off to skin said rhino and then the elephant started trying to stomp the fuck out of me.

Ended up running away slightly and then he cooled down again.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started playing Grim Fandango today to tide me over until Fallout 4. Got up to the end of the first segment.

It's great, but there are a bunch of puzzles where it'd be impossible to figure them out without the help of the internet.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've attempted Grim Fandango 4 times now, each and every time the save has become corrupted and I've not gone back.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On PS4?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Calling @7om
    Don't start me off. I'd forgotten about that shite.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I packed in Super Meat Boy this morning. I haven't got the nouse. This comes after me having a nightmare on Bloodborne as well.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I have this year. There's no chance me buying it now.
    Wish I had this time as I'd planned. Even though I was given it as a gift I feel shafted by EA.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This talk of FC4 has me tempted to boot it up again. I'm not sure how far through it I've got - I think I'm still doing quests for those two, whatever they're called. Is that how the story eventually progresses or am I missing something obvious?

How big is the map? Is it FC3-esque, as in having a whole other section that you unlock halfway through? Can I simply set out in the direction of any radio tower to clear the fog of war?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Started playing Grim Fandango today to tide me over until Fallout 4. Got up to the end of the first segment.

It's great, but there are a bunch of puzzles where it'd be impossible to figure them out without the help of the internet.
    The first time I played (circa 1998 or 99), I finished it without a FAQ. But that was when adventure games were designed to be pondered over several months.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can go wherever you like I think. Does anyone else feel like they're getting through the the perk tree quite quickly? I might just be dicking around more than the game intends me to but I seem to have quite a few and I;ve only done about two campaign missions.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    The first time I played (circa 1998 or 99), I finished it without a FAQ. But that was when adventure games were designed to be pondered over several months.
    Some puzzles are discoverable and logical, but others are just random. The one where you have to set the timing of some tree-harvesting thing, then flick a switch on the controls and put a wheelbarrow on an air pipe...it's not really a puzzle, just an obscure arrangement of requirements.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Some puzzles are discoverable and logical, but others are just random. The one where you have to set the timing of some tree-harvesting thing, then flick a switch on the controls and put a wheelbarrow on an air pipe...it's not really a puzzle, just an obscure arrangement of requirements.
    The air pipe problem was a bugger, I'll grant you that. But it was more a matter of execution than concept - I don't remember it being particularly tricky to figure out what needed to be done. Actually making it work was a little bit nastier.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    Indeed. Games were just harder way back when and I think, in the main, gamers were just better.

Me and a mate started and finished Monkey Island 2 back in the day without any help from anyone. No chance that happens these days.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Indeed. Games were just harder way back when and I think, in the main, gamers were just better.

Me and a mate started and finished Monkey Island 2 back in the day without any help from anyone. No chance that happens these days.
    I think we allowed ourselves more time to play around with ideas. Normally I would have a couple of adventure games on the go at any given time, in the knowledge that progress in any particular one would sometimes be sporadic. I would have notepads full of hints and clues that I'd picked up, as well as hand-drawn maps and the like. There are puzzles that I was stuck on for weeks at a time, but the satisfaction when the pieces all fell into place was immense.

I think it was Yahtzee Croshaw who noted that easily accessible FAQs have fundamentally changed the genre. It's difficult to resist the solution to a challenging puzzle when the answer is just a click or two away. The idea of playing a game with a notepad by the computer is downright ludicrous now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just got me thinking about some of the great puzzles I've come across:

- The marble puzzle in Riven (the most impossibly difficult, and yet fair, puzzle I've seen in an adventure game)
    - The very final puzzle in Monkey Island 2 (the epiphany when you realise what you actually have to do is unmatched - I don't want to ruin it here)
    - Getting the hamster to the future and warmed up in Day of the Tentacle
    - The Gold Machine puzzle in Zork III (the ur-example of a puzzle where all the pieces click into place satisfyingly, in a text adventure)
    - Figuring out the uses for the songs in Loom , especially when you realised that playing them backwards could reverse their effects
    - Escaping the junk ship in Space Quest III
    - The moment when you realise how to find Salvador at the end of Grim Fandango is incredibly touching

I've seen Riven described as the closest a game can come to a zen koan, and that's probably a reasonable call. It's scrupulously fair (sometimes in very obtuse fashion), but incredibly demanding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only really, really bad puzzle in Grim Fandango is the signpost one. All the other ones are tough or fiddly, but not too unfair. Although the one with the flame dogs or whatever they were annoyed the crap out of me because it relies on timing too much.

Always worth pushing through though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elth View Post
    The only really, really bad puzzle in Grim Fandango is the signpost one. All the other ones are tough or fiddly, but not too unfair. Although the one with the flame dogs or whatever they were annoyed the crap out of me because it relies on timing too much.

Always worth pushing through though.
    I'll concur with that - it's a dreadful "puzzle".

Grim Fandango is at its best when you're in a populated area with interactions. Not only because the atmosphere and interactions are fantastic (Rubacava ), but also because they can drop in hints through the conversations themselves.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, on PC.

Are there any good modern point and click adventures?

Or even non point and click, a bit like...ah christ I can't remember what it's called now.

You start in France..you're in the jungle at some point.. And on an aeroplane. And in Glastonbury!

If anyone can work out what I'm talking about you're my hero.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beneath A Steel Sky was one of my favourites. There's a decent iOS version of it now.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just give yourself up to David Cage or whatever. His new one is about sentient androids because racism. I should get back to Broken Age.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demerit View Post
    No, on PC.

Are there any good modern point and click adventures?
    Machinarium
    Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please!

Er. How recent do you mean by Modern?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought Assassins Creed: Blackwater yesterday on a whim, looks pretty sweet so far but it definitely stutters a bit when walking through big areas of jungle... Bit annoying as my computer can definitely handle the graphics, I think it's a case of the game being a bit glitchy.