Page 35 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 8649

Thread: General gaming discussion

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't even do that. Just burn it all.

It fails the do-people-want-this test every single time.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a myrid of stuff that runs through Ubisoft titles that no sane person would bother to include/think was acceptable.

Their reward structure for collectables and the lack of balance in the economies in their games being two such examples that spring to mind.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Don't even do that. Just burn it all.

It fails the do-people-want-this test every single time.
    I mean just in the sense of Hi Bob, we need you. Go into this machine and relieve your ancestors memories from X time period.

Just to keep the game plugging into the whole thing they've created.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst thing is the overly-knowing meta-nods to it being Ubi themselves. I get that they've kinda committed to it now, and it helps tie together the overarching story/allow them to flit around to different time periods, but like you say - just give us a bit of fluff at the beginning and then leave me in the Matrix for the rest of the game.

Still, I've put an hour or so back into Black Slag and it's still kinda fun. Want to get out on the high seas and start turning over some Spaniards.

Shanties

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I genuinely wouldn't mind the brief disconnect if they just fucked off the modern day stuff altogether. I suppose you can't bin off the artifacts now, that ship has fucking sailed, but just do historical assassins 'n' templars. Nice settings, cool kills, good protagonists. I just remembered a thing I really like in this one so I'll get my next gripe (with both the series and Syndicate specifically) out of the way first: the final villain turning into an Assassin-level combatant because he's got a McGuffin. I'd love them to go the other way (they won't) and make it so you have to get a kill first time but just make it really hard to get to.

Which leads me onto something I loved in Syndicate, which is the different methods of achieving assassinations, primarily in the Jacob missions. Almost Hitman-lite in the way you get alternate routes in and stuff. More of that please, Ubi.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought WWE 2k17 as it's only £15.

Hero.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm tempted by the price but it just seems like more of the same and I've managed to resist the habit this year. Does it come with the DLC packaged in yet? I might get it when they do the complete version.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the deluxe version is like £50 or something.

You could buy it for £15 on Shopto and then download the season pass although you wont get Goldberg.

Edit: After a bit of reading I've gone for Goldberg (I just couldn't say no to him), the NXT Enhancement Pack (mainly for Nakamura), Legends Pack and Hall of Fame Showcase.

Last two are in the season pass but the first two aren't.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need better fake jobber names. Probably.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cord will just be hoping for more opportunities to fight Pap O'Shango if his 2k16 adventures are anything to go by.

Is the submission system still an absolute disgrace?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The right stick thing? I haven't played 2k16 but yeah it's a cock.

I keep forgetting to switch to the old system of button mashing for it.

Oh and AJ Styles is a dick, he's the only guy to beat me (I battered him but made one mistake which allowed him to do a finisher on me and I died) and he just attacked me during a promo.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's alright, Corporate Kane beat me with some shitty chokehold and Cord lost to a punch from Finn Balor.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normal Finn Balor or mental one?

In 2k17, the first time I face him he was normal and the second time he had gone full mongo which is quite cool.

Currently a face but after AJ Styles bitchslapped me in the back I've thrown my toys out of the pram and keep knocking the shit out of people after I beat them.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PS4 version is out of stock on Shopto which works out alright as I'd have bought it otherwise and I'm not really sure I want to.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought you were discussing NBA there and I got sad. How many more months do I have to wait?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in stock now. Come to papa

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna grab Prey tomorrow I think, looks like a dream cross of Bioshock and System Shock.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Gonna grab Prey tomorrow I think, looks like a dream cross of Bioshock and System Shock.
    It's meant to handle like ass on the PS4

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going Xbox because I need something to play on it

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a quick go on the new WWE 2K which came yesterday, how are the character models actually getting worse? This is the same publisher that puts out the NBA titles where you have teams filled with players that look as close to real life as you can get in a game.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The graphics and overall polish of 2K16 is atrocious. It's impossible to know when somebody's coming to get you post-match or whatever because it quite happily plays both sets of music over each other at the same time.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Had a quick go on the new WWE 2K which came yesterday, how are the character models actually getting worse? This is the same publisher that puts out the NBA titles where you have teams filled with players that look as close to real life as you can get in a game.
    Did you try the facial capture thing? I tried to use a sample one, which I thought would look better. It was like trying to put a sticker of a face over a face.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not had a look at any editing yet, need to finish downloading and installing the massive patch first. I saw you can download alternative attires though which is nice so long as there isn't the horrible delay in selecting everything still.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lads Prey is fucking superb. If you loved any of the Bioshock, System Shock, or Metroid games its right up your street.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I wasn't even considering buying it at new release prices until the reviews started coming in.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's majestic.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet lord.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's incredible.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Square Enix are selling off IO Interactive. RIP Hitman.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely it's only RIP Hitman if nobody else buys them / they can't find another means of funding it? Didn't the latest one do pretty well?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rankings in this game are broken.

I'm stuck at 5th for the US Championship despite winning loads of matches, so I decide to call out the Champion John Cena. This starts a rivalry and a non-title match is set up. I batter the crap out of him, it says that he won the rivalry (lol) and I'm still 5th.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have they got rid of the story mode this year or is it part of the update I'm halfway through downloading?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    It's still made by the same developers that have been making these games since Smackdown! Here comes the pain. They just changed publisher when THQ went under.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that, I was just hoping that with it now falling under their banner 2K might have had more of a hand in it so it at least doesn't look embarrassingly inferior to titles in their range. When they announced the deal to move from THQ there was talk that they were going back to the drawing board, but with a captive audience I suppose they have no real need to meddle too much.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I hate the ladder mini game more than the submission one.

Christ it's shit.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Surely it's only RIP Hitman if nobody else buys them / they can't find another means of funding it? Didn't the latest one do pretty well?
    It's hard to tell with digital sales not being tracked so well. 600k on steam, about 300k everywhere else. Consider most of those sales were probably at a cut price, too.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    I think I hate the ladder mini game more than the submission one.

Christ it's shit.
    At least anything involving ladders included in every wrestling game ever (and ladders are always shit) reflects wrestlers twatting about on ladders in real matches because they can't get their timing right. The submission mini-game may be less shit but it also fucks up the illusion more than the other stuff.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prey feels like all the best bits from System Shock, Bioshock, Dishonoured, Metroid and Deus Ex chucked into the fucking mixer and it ending up working. It can be a little wonky control wise (combat is very Bioshock, a tiny bit sluggish so as to keep it tense), plus twice I've had to reload due to getting stuck in the world, but the degree of exploring, the whole recycling mechanic, the enemies. You can very easily quick save on console too, just press start and its the first option.

I will say the mimics, used as a selling point, aren't that great. The first five or six times you encounter them it feels fresh but they become an annoyance, the other enemies that do pop up make up for it. They're very fucking aggressive, it feels each battle needs strategy,

The world itself is wonderfully realised. Just a giant, linked, weird as fuck spaceship, which is where the Deus Ex comparison comes in. I've added my points into hacking at the start, so I can access everything now. Emails, locked rooms, all that shit. Shortcuts into rooms you can't hack into, which brings me to the Gloo Cannon.

You can fire that shit on any surface, and you can climb onto and stand on it, so you can build a bridge to an area you shouldn't be in yet, or rooms you can't get into via hacking/shortcuts. They've just left the player to do what the fuck you want whilst keeping it challenging and tense. You get waypoints on the screen but you're free to ignore them and do your own thing. I'm scoping out every area.

I'm sixteen hours in, about 30-40% done, and loving every second. If it wasn't for Breath of the Wild, this would easily be my GOTY.

If you didn't get on with two or three of the games I mention in my opening sentence, you probably won't like this. It all hinges on exploration and if you can get into the story.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought it last night. About to get in about it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that after the initial setting-up stage it just basically shoves you out the door and goes "Right then, go play."

Snuck around a locked door into the security room and got a shotgun.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're liking it mate. I'd say I've gotta be about 40% through and each area just keeps getting better.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picking up The Surge on Tuesday. Liked some of the pre-release coverage. Hopefully it doesn't crash like Lords of the Fallen.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Glad you're liking it mate. I'd say I've gotta be about 40% through and each area just keeps getting better.
    I've been spending ages in each area on nook-and-cranny duty. Just got the neuromod schematic and made 14 of them.

The typhon are a bit boring to fight but the could-be-anywhere nature of the mimics is superb. Including when you chase one round a corner and you're desperately trying to remember how the room looked last time you saw it.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh I guess you don't have the ability to spot mimics yet?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not.

I don't have anything alien-y yet.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I won't say more as I think its linked to the story. Its a fucking Godsend tbh

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been obsessively backtracking to uncover stuff I bypassed previously so I haven't progressed especially quickly through the main story I don't think.

I will definitely get that as and when I get the chance and yet..... I suspect it'll take away one of the few things I like about the enemies in this. I tend to find with most of the ones I've had so far that once I've fought a new one once or twice I'm just going through the motions. The mimics though, at least they'll come at you from anywhere even if the ensuing combat isn't the most stimulating. From what I've encountered so far none of it is. It's not dreadful, but with the abilities/weapons I have so far it's mostly functional at the times I'm caught out in the open. I like it best when I have the opportunity to plan, set up "traps" (that often go wrong), etc.

There may be more to come but the fighting I currently treat mostly as a change of pace but I don't relish it. I do still enjoy getting jumped by a mimic though.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I've upgraded my movement speed to max, and have upgraded a couple of weapons to almost max, the combat is a lot more fun as its way easier. I one shot mimics with the shotgun, and take chunks off the other enemies. But at the start I agree, it feels sluggish and just not that fun. Its ala Bioshock in that sense where the ship is the star, and the exploration that comes with it, but without the combat it'd essentially be a walking sim, and would make the recycling mechanic, which is so imperative to it, redundant.

Tbv Dishonored's combat was weak too, was always more about using your powers to avoid it, which you can in this to a lesser extent.

Also, I know its a spoiler, but the mimic spotter thing, its a choice as to if you use it, so if you like the mimic mechanic you can just avoid using it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dishonored's combat was pretty rough but you could player it as the Arkham trilogy-esque power fantasy where you can be unstoppable in conflict if you pick your spot.

Not that my issue with the combat in this is that I feel weak, it's more than the enemies don't feel like they're doing anything other than throwing damage at me. Different sorts of damage, sure, and with different resistances or health bars (that big floaty thing I found in Fabrication can go and heartily fuck itself) but I think I'm finding the anticipation of combat more of a driver than the combat itself. But I wouldn't avoid it even if I could. I need the resources, man. My hacking and repair isn't going to up itself, after all.

I think the utter lack of cutscenes and stuff in this has played up to my being an absolute sucker I am for piecing together (back)story by way of audiologs, diaries, emails, etc. I fucking love it.

Toggle Spoiler

Sounds like I'm being really down on the combat but it's more an observation than actual complaints. I'm loving life and there are two things it does really well that I've specifically noticed in my time with it today. While the combat isn't great it can produce great stories (either "Here's this awesome thing I did" or "Here's a cool story about when shit went horribly wrong") and it's great at setting up scenes.

Toggle Spoiler